Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

Cheez:I think it is when you don't give her family and friends a little while to process this. But hey, why not make this all about your community's supposed grief (which in no way compares to the grief of her family and friends).
    I honestly don't understand what her friends or family needing time to process her death has to do with the installation of a ghost bike?

I'm not saying this in a snarky way at all - I actually do not understand why you feel it's a factor. Do you believe they're going to be offended at people showing respect for their relative/friend?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo

Their relation to their daughter is a lot stronger to your relation with her as an anonymous cyclist. Their relation should be treated with more respect than yours. And they should be involved in all the relations of their daughter in the moment of her death. They feel helpless and have no control. And you're not giving them any control over the situation.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Cheez isn't exactly wrong about being respectful to the family's grief, however a ghost bike is equal parts memorial and public outcry. A ghost bike does not co-opt private grieving any more than a ride of silence does or an article about the accident does or a public call for better cycling infrastructure does. If we were talking about placing flowers at the accident site, I doubt anybody would feel it necessary to get clearance from the family. The only place where I feel a line is potentially crossed is putting the name and birth/death dates on the bike itself. If I were making the call, I'd put the bike up without a sign, and then work with the family to get permission to make the memorial more personal if they felt it appropriate.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

Nerdo has captured my sentiments exactly.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I'm... more ok with the bike without the sign (oddly enough I was coming back in here to suggest people place flowers). I'd still prefer to see people wait a week or so, but it is what it is (for the bike, flowers are definitely a-ok right away, even encouraged).

I think Obo summed up my feelings fairly well, so I'll leave it at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited

Obo:Their relation to their daughter is a lot stronger to your relation with her as an anonymous cyclist. Their relation should be treated with more respect than yours. And they should be involved in all the relations of their daughter in the moment of her death. They feel helpless and have no control. And you're not giving them any control over the situation.

Written late Sunday evening:

"I approached someone this morning who knows the family. I believe they have experience in this area and would know when it was appropriate to pass along the message/request. I made it clear that I wanted to respect their wishes.

I'm trying to get everything ready or at least the ball rolling for if/when the family gets in touch."

There's also the *two* messages from me Saturday night saying it's on hold. Others also pointed out Saturday late afternoon/evening that family and friends might want to be involved. Everyone was in agreement.

Then all of the sudden late Sunday night, a bunch of you show up and not only ignore what's been said, but make extreme, negative, baseless assumptions about me and how I have or would act. I've resisted saying so until now because I don't want this to get any further off track, but it's very insulting.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

bee, don't play victim, this isn't about you.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    chr|s sedition:Guys....everyone means well in this thread. Please don't let the death of some other cyclist be a moment of division.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    bee:
    Obo:Their relation to their daughter is a lot stronger to your relation with her as an anonymous cyclist. Their relation should be treated with more respect than yours. And they should be involved in all the relations of their daughter in the moment of her death. They feel helpless and have no control. And you're not giving them any control over the situation.

Written late Sunday evening:

"I approached someone this morning who knows the family. I believe they have experience in this area and would know when it was appropriate to pass along the message/request. I made it clear that I wanted to respect their wishes.

I'm trying to get everything ready or at least the ball rolling for if/when the family gets in touch."

There's also the *two* messages from me Saturday night saying it's on hold. Others also pointed out Saturday late afternoon/evening that family and friends might want to be involved. Everyone was in agreement.

Then all of the sudden late Sunday night, a bunch of you show up and not only ignore what's been said, but make extreme, negative, baseless assumptions about me and how I have or would act. I've resisted saying so until now because I don't want this to get any further off track, but it's very insulting.

any particular reason your acting like a total douche?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorben

I don't see Bee's response the way you ^ and Sean seem to.

People brought up issues with how they felt the ghost bike project was being carried out, and Bee, as the person heading that project, responded with what he felt was a clarification of the situation and a response to the issues raised.

I do think he came across as very gung-ho about the project (which ultimately seems to be why people had misgivings), but I don't think feeling insulted because you think you've been unfairly or unjustifiably criticized is either "playing the victim" or being a douche.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Bee has no connection to the deceased except for being another cyclist. Yet Bee is taking exception to people saying that Bee should chill until the deceased's actual friends and family say that they find the idea of a ghost bike palatable. I know for a fact that other users of this forum find Bee's behavior grating, but feel bad about saying. Bee just fucking relax before everyone decides you're a doucheTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

Although completely well meaning, I'm sure, Bee, I think you're being over-zelous on the Ghost Bike.
    It's incredibly hard to judge how to behave, and every tragic incident is different. But think in this instance, as we've no clue if she's was in or part of a bike community, time is a factor: there's no rush. If someone else does it then that's fine and good - like the person killed at MIT earlier in the year. We talked about doing a GB, but someone else - his friends? - did it very quickly. And we were all fine, and happy, with that.

I think we should take it easy and if nothing has happened in a week or two, put one up. Letting her parents know we're thinking of her, and this is what we've done as a shrine of sorts, for her memory and others to absorb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Stormy For Mod!:Bee has no connection to the deceased except for being another cyclist. Yet Bee is taking exception to people saying that Bee should chill until the deceased's actual friends and family say that they find the idea of a ghost bike palatable. I know for a fact that other users of this forum find Bee's behavior grating, but feel bad about saying. Bee just fucking relax before everyone decides you're a douche

I'm not "taking exception to people saying that Bee should chill until the deceased's actual friends and family say that they find the idea of a ghost bike palatable." I never once said I wouldn't, and I did say I was waiting to put the bike up. Several. Times. Yes, I continued to ask for help with the remaining pieces, but I've made clear why that was, and I stand by my logic of being ready.

I'm taking exception to the prejudice and assumptions made by others, who didn't even have the courtesy to *ask* what was being done before assuming the worst, and that I wasn't trying to work with the family. Even when everything was explained and I specifically said that I had been - people continued complaining that I wasn't. That's why I take exception.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  

i said don't play victim because nobody was directing their disagreement at you specifically and that's what your post reacted as, "not only ignore what's been said, but make extreme, negative, baseless assumptions about me and how I have or would act."
    they/i were directing disagreement at either putting the bike up too soon before all the bases were covered in a general sense toward the proper course of action (yea you reached out to the family, but you hadn't heard back yet so it was still a relevant disagreement) vs the others who felt that those bases well, didn't need to be covered.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012

I remembered people talking about Eric's bike needing some TLC, so I sent his Dad a note.

He replied back and said he visits the bike often and leaves flowers, and would be grateful if it was touched up.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    ^ That would be something good to incorporate into the memorial ride.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ITT WHAT BFIXED DOES BESTYou're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012

OK. We'll try to stick with the walking group (from BC) to his bike, then they head for the green line and we head up 9. Both groups should arrive at the reservoir around the same time.

So, pace is going to be pretty slow up Huntington.

Can anyone help with a flyer, to distribute today/tomorrow? I want to put up a PDF online people can print on their own and post/hand out. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I need some help ASAP on this.

Please blog, tumblr, twitter, facebook the crap out of this. It's free and a powerful tool.

http://tinyurl.com/kelseyrideIgnorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Someone at Artistan Asylum volunteered to cut a plate out of steel or aluminum on their waterjet cutter (!).

They need a "dwg, dxf, or similar" file.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    • CommentAuthorben

bee:I remembered people talking about Eric's bike needing some TLC, so I sent his Dad a note.

He replied back and said he visits the bike often and leaves flowers, and would be grateful if it was touched up.
    I'm trying to imagine how we would do this. The best way would be to remove it, but I have no idea if it's attached with something easily cuttable? Trying to spray paint a bike on a potentially busy sidewalk is not really ideal.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012 edited

you could bring a bit of cardboard and hold it behind where the spray is aimed so it catches any stray paint.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Could additionally bring a bunch of newspaper and some tape to protect the pole it's attached to/the ground.

I suppose the tricky part is that the paint would need to dry.
    Just to restate, Bee, thanks for all the effort.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    You could paint it with a brushi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012

I wouldn't worry too much; spraypaint dries amazingly fast. I hope someone else can bring a can too (post if you are), as I don't really think there's enough to do more than some minor touchups, and I will need to touch up the wheels on Kelsey's first. How much work does Eric's bike need? Does anyone know? I can stop by on my way home tonight, I guess, and look. I will grab cardboard at FW, need some to protect the bikes anyway.

If you're coming tonight (please come, it's going to be clear if a bit on the cool side, and the reservoir is rather pretty), please throw in your bag/pockets anything you think would be handy, keeping in mind we may have some people who have hauled out that old MTB they haven't ridden in a year, etc. Keep in mind some of them may be her friends, coworkers, mentorees, etc. At least half a dozen people are riding over from BC so far; the RSVPs are slowly rolling in still.

Company on the ride down would be great. I'm leaving from Ferris Wheels with their Yuba + the GB (if you see Jeffrey some time soon, please tell him thank you; John at FW hooked me up with the bike I used, and they let me use a stand+tools to strip it)...LEAVING at 7:30p.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Eric's bike is going to need almost a full repaint. A can of primer and white flat is needed.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Thanks Bee, Phil, and all others who helped out and attended. tonight was awesome.
    Zomar:Thanks Bee, Phil, and all others who helped out and attended. tonight was awesome.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.