Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

^good one.
    Gnarz5 Billion People Must Die
    I'm pretty sure eating garbage makes you fat, not driving a car. But that's just a wild theory.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

I'd like to get that stencilWe are the small axe.
    octalink magic:I'm pretty sure eating garbage makes you fat, not driving a car. But that's just a wild theory.

But Mauspad and Zomar are thin as rails!

HEY-YO!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited

it's either the eating disorder or the giardia, that's for sure. heyo?
    • CommentAuthormauspad

THREADKILLER 2010
    hehehei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010

I HAVE SEVEN TAPEWORMS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

they're good for you. i hear they also control your immune system. so your allergies are like wtf?! and you can breath in pollen like its your job.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

You know, I picked up the president of the Sabin Vaccine Institute and world-renowned expert on parasitic worms, Peter Hotez, from the airport the other day and I actually got a chance to ask him about that.

In short, he calls bullshit. While he doesn't deny that they seem to help some people, he thinks infecting yourself with- or allowing yourself to remain infected by- parasitic worms is outrageous. He doubts the extent of the hygiene hypothesis and considers this faddish tolerance for parasitic worms in educated Americans to be insane.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since we're talking about it.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad

you legit picked up one of my heroes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

No shit? If I'd have known anyone here would be interested, I'd have posted it on the boards. He gave a talk on neglected tropical diseases at BUSPH on Monday night. I was asked if I was interested in giving him a ride, and I couldn't turn down the chance for some car time with him. He's a really great guy- a little awkward, but totally awesome.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^My BFF back in Portland picked up the president of Cinelli.[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^^just let me know if you ever pick up oliver sacks.
    i heard a This American Life about that recently. this dude intentionally became a host to tapeworms, then started extracting them from his poo and SELLING THEM to others with paralyzing allergies. yeah, i think the "faddish tolerance" comes from people associating a parasitic situation with other positive organisms present inside us like bacteria, which is a pretty crazy association to make.Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited

i wanted to go to that, joey. how was it? it was the one that talked about chagas disease and stuff, right?

tackle allergies and weight issues all at once! with the amazing tapeworm diet! side note: stay away from the pork ones. much better to go with beef tapeworms.

while i agree that kids needs to play in the dirt more and that it'll probably harden up their sterilized little immune systems, i don't recommend eating dirt or anything else that leads to parasitic worms. after seeing photos of rectal prolapse a la hookworm and a bored roundworm exiting orifices while a kid infected with them was sleeping...i'm all set on worms that go in the body.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^^You got it. Ditto if you ever hook up with DA Henderson.
    ^^I heard the same one. It was hook worms, though. The guy had to fly to the 3rd world, take his shoes off, and walk in a defecation field. (Which is exactly what it sounds like.) I feel for people whose allergies are that terrible, and if it works it works, but infecting yourself with parasites is not to be taken lightly. I assume someone is working on understanding why it may work and moving toward safely generating the immunosuppression that the worm instigates, but in the meantime it just seems dangerous.

Some links on the subject:
    http://www.endtheneglect.org/tag/hotez/
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2435994920080624We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Lauren, it was great. Hotez was, of course, wonderful and talked about the worm diseases. James Maguire from Harvard Med gave a long, interesting presentation on Chagas specifically. They've really got their business together. You should come next time! I know you must have access to all the articles on OVID and MEDLINE now since you're at BMC, but I'd be happy to loan you my folder on NTDs. The materials they gave out at the symposium were also very well done.
    Maybe we should start a thread just for science and health stuff.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    oh yeah, hook! bad form, andross.

edit: i'd be SO down with a thread for science!!Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    god you guys are a bunch of fucking nerds. Science is so 90s.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

shut up and post in the science thread, maker-of-cancer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

^^^^i would be into perusing your folder of NTD!
    I watched the x-files episode about parasitic flukeworms last night! timely!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Okay, let's find a way to make that happen. I am free to nerd out next week some evening after Tuesday or during next weekend at some point. I'll whisper you my number and we can plan via text.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^Flukeman is sooo rad!You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

ps. they are talking about hook worms, not tape worms. Hook worms have a totally different reproduction cycle and as such are much less dangerous to infect yourself with...pro's and con's of doing so aside.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

MY TAPE WORMS ARE CUURED!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

im guessing the dumpster diving = worms for you?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

i have recurring bouts of malaria. not often. but do. the pills they gave me as a prophylactic tasted terrible so i got malaria. sad but true.
    Mick:im guessing the dumpster diving = worms for you?

No. I spent years heavily supplementing my diet with dumpstered food of all sorts. I never got sick once, and certainly had no worms.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

you're going to infect us, all, brunop!!! why didn't you just drink some gin 'n tonics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Oh man, if only quinine still worked.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

ratattack:you're going to infect us, all, brunop!!! why didn't you just drink some gin 'n tonics?

only if'n i kiss ya, ratty!

; )
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

haha. sir, i think you do not understand how malaria works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^skeeters.
    skeet skeet[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013

Thanks for the bump. I'm really glad I got to reread this thread. I forgot about the tapeworm conversation.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks