Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited

There seems to be a disproportionate amount of Folks Who Try Science(TM) on these here bike forums. Dare I say we constitute the second most frequent non-cycling related demographic, after college students? Let's talk about it here.

My name is Xue and I study brains.

Specifically:

•  
      CommentAuthorratattack

what about engineers? most cyclists i know are engineers or engineering students.

but: my name is lauren and i play with blood most of the time.

hi i'm evan and i am a tech for life. but i'm good at it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010

engineers are just scientists who are paid a living wage. truth.
    yeahi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthortuffghost

hi i'm nick and i'm (studying to become) a mechanical engineer. i like the biomed field and am currently working with a company that makes a device to control diabetes and promote weight loss. not a PETA friendly job...
    • CommentAuthorayparekh

hi i'm anish - i'm a physician. is that science? i feel like it's mostly manipulating health insurance policies...a chance to cut is a chance to cure
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

I do compooter science. I'm in your memory, swapping your binaries.Fuck yeah.
    Damn, got tapped for journal club this week.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

My name is Joe and I'm going to have my MPH in International Health in three days.
    According to one of my mentors, I studied "the art and science of deciding who dies, when, and in what degree of misery." Welcome to International Health. It's pretty intimidating if you have a sense of how many mistakes are made in it. I am very interested in the disease eradication campaigns, emerging infectious disease, protection issues with refugees and IDPs, the flaws in current development strategies, and mental health in low-resource settings. I'm looking for field work overseas right now. I also love pineapple and hate it when people don't realize how awesome they have it just by being a US citizen.
    Edit: I also like yelling.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson

I'm Paul and I'm a Chemist (grad student), working on the bottom-up development of carbon materials (nanotubes, in particular). Why? Because that shit is sweet. PS: I like the AA tone these are all taking.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ^^ hit up the woot shirt today Joe!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

I'm Pat and I'm trying to be an ecologist (or maybe botanist, we'll see), but right now Organic Chem just kicked me ass for two semesters in a row and I'm gonna have to deal with that bullshit again in a year. Fuuuuuuuuck...
    I'm Cedar and <3 botany
    • CommentAuthortristan

My name is Tristan, and I write software that does statistical analysis, gathers data, and allows clients to design and build reports on their own. I guess youd call that computer science.

Here is a screenshot and a cheesy-ass video of the latest product I developed. I think its super neat.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Pat whatever you do, don't go to mo-bio or biochem instead of ecology because it has more job/earnings potential. ecology is the jam.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Marianna: My birthday is August 31st! You could go from t-honks to t-homie in a nanosecond. Just sayin.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I used to do science...of the compootar variety. I now am a science groupie.this wont hurt a bit...
    Joe, tell me your woot-calibrated size and you are so on. Won't be much of a surprise, though. If you like surprises, I just won't get it for you. Deal?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Your shirt swapping is cute.Fuck yeah.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

whoa! even more science than i anticipated!

tuffghost - there needs to be a "not-as-bad-as-it-sounds,-i-swear" animal research merit badge. i used to give rats morphine and then inject acid into their brains to see if it made them forget that i gave them morphine.
    pat - try orgo at harvard summer school? being able to concentrate on JUST ORGO AND NOTHING ELSE for three months was what i needed. unfortunately.
    you guys are dorks.
    science is for looooosers.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

loooooosers
    stilgar:I used to do science...of the compootar variety. I now am a science groupie.

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgrev

i study computer science, but 99% of the time we cheat on the science, e.g.:

step 1) how does i graph theory?
    step 2) "import dijkstra"
    step 3) dark magic and wizardry
    step 4) done.not another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthortristan

^Truth. I've used the science part of my degree about three times in my two years in the "real world"ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

t-homie: Surprises are not necessary when there is this much awesome involved. I am a woot-calibrated LARGE. Yay! <3

“I am many things to many people, Mr. Del Monte. Your American media refer to me as leader of the Bromeliad Liberation Front, a terrorist organization. To my people in Paraguay, I am El Frutador, a hero fighting for their rights and defending their honor. But to you, Mr. Del Monte, I assure you I am the worst thing you will ever face, and the last person you will see in your rapidly-diminishing time on this earth.”

"You’re a monster!"

“Monster? Me? How many of our women and children are turned into pineapple slices and fruit cups?! One of us is a monster, Mr. Del Monte. But I am only god’s hand of vengeance. Here, tell me how this fruit cup tastes.”We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorbird

SCIENCE!
    I'm Clare and I used to work with bones at MGH
    they are soo pretty

Now I work with all sorts of animal parts at a pathology lab at Novartis.
    We should drink whiskey and talk science

oh and I'm a nurse too
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder

You could describe my job as mad scientist's bitch.

Sometimes I accidentally make things that are puurrrdy:

Sincerely,
    Joshua Robot[all your base are belong to us]

This is basically what I do.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^Awesome use of photoshop.

bird:We should drink whiskey and talk science

How about we combine the whisky/scotch/bourbon tasting from the other thread and make it science themed? Fire up the grill again and eat some meat and roasted veggies at the same time?
    Someone wrangle up some beakers we can drink out of.
    Tiny House, next Saturday 5/22 around 1pm?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad

i have a set of volumetric flasks ranging from 100 to 1000ml. for those times when you need to measure out precisely 1000ml of red wine.
    • CommentAuthorgc

here be me doing my thang
    gone
    • CommentAuthortuffghost

xue-i know right? i'm not completely evil just because a pig or several have died by my watch

clare-bones are seriously cool. i want to get into making artificial bone scaffolding or similar
    • CommentAuthorpete

....political science?
    • CommentAuthorbird

bird:We should drink whiskey and talk science

How about we combine the whisky/scotch/bourbon tasting from the other thread and make it science themed? Fire up the grill again and eat some meat and roasted veggies at the same time?
    Someone wrangle up some beakers we can drink out of.
    Tiny House, next Saturday 5/22 around 1pm?

yea and i love drinking out of flasks
    I have a 500 mL beaker and a 50 mL shot glass haha

...im a business student though i want to take cognitive brain studying psych classes....somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

hi I'm chris, I'm studying Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at northeastern. I don't seem to like it though...
    Im banana, and i will be charging you all lots of money to fit you with hearing aids in about 5 years.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

surprisefries:Pat whatever you do, don't go to mo-bio or biochem instead of ecology because it has more job/earnings potential. ecology is the jam.

I'm taking Bio-chem next semester, but from what I've heard it's going to be almost as brutal as orgo, so trust me, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with ecology. I'm a hippie anyway, the only reason I chose ecology is because I figured that was my best shot at landing a job where I got to work in the field and hang out with trees and shit.

xue - I'm gonna take orgo during the summer sessions at UML probably next summer. They're accelerated but way easier =D
    ^^can you be my doctor? i blast my headphones daily.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Joe, that conflicts with the Geekhouse BBQ.

And I have a 25ml Erlenmeyer. Cutest EVAR.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^^ ya damned hippie!ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthormauspad

i just checked my flask collection, and, i'm sorry, did i say 1000ml? i meant to say 2000ml. WHO WANTS TO MAKE A METRIC SHIT-TON OF SANGRIA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I'm mike and I'm a paramedic. I get to start IV's, intubate, chest decompressions, electrocute and administer meds to people as well as a ton of other exciting/not so exciting things.
    heyooo i'm mike, a physicist, and i'm doing non-linear optics research. it works like this:

1) shoot laser
    2) ?????
    3) profit

at least thats whats in the grant proposal...bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

You briefly mentioned what you did tonight. It was Greek to me.