Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011

1) there was actually several studies that showed diagnosis by doctors were better when presented with less information
    2) there is the "practice of science" and there is the "institution of science", when we talk about "failing" its the latter we are talking about
    3) as you said, this got to phase 3, in a giant company pfizer, give the guy trying to report it, who isn't a scientist, some damn credit... of course he's gonna simplify...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011

"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited

I don't think the idea behind the article is total trash (though I admit that I didn't particularly make that clear), I'm sure there are studies like that about diagnosis. That said, medicine and science aren't the same thing, and if you wanted to do the equivalent of publishing a paper about back health that didn't consider any healthy people, no journals would accept it. Ask Xue about that - her dementia/AD/aging lab was always looking for mentally HEALTHY older people cause they needed them for the study. But his conclusion seems to be "welp, better stop learning stuff", which I can't strictly endorse.

I don't know what you mean by "Institution of Science" but I'd like to.

and as for your last point "give the guy...some damn credit...of course he's gonna simplify"... I can't even.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011

Yes medicine and science are two different things.

By "institution of science" I mean the social, economic, and philosophical structure formed by scientists, universities, and corporations around the things they actually practice (science, experiments, etc)

Well I don't expect a reporter covering tech, philosophy, religion, or hell, even politics, to supply balance, nuance, and clear perception of all the issues involved. It's why we all do what we do.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/12/31/mit_students_design_vending_machine_to_provide_bike_renters_with_helmets/?p1=Local_Links"here comes jon to the barry-ers!" "he stopped! he's grabbing a beer!" "he's still stopped, he's got another one!" "all he's doing is chugging beer!" "now he's not on the course anymore..."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

I like outer space.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    outer space is so fucking awesomeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Kids' drawings of scientists, before and after visiting Fermilab.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Haha, from Ashley's "before":
    "Scientists live in their own world and the rest of society puts them there."We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited

In high school I got a little write-up in the local paper for doing well on the ACTs, and one day I came home to a thick manila envelope waiting for me in the mail. It was anthraxa stack of letters from an inner city elementary school congratulating me (i.e. "Dear Xue, congratulations on your xxxx score on the ACT, you must have worked very hard. Sincerely, Susie"), complete with their drawings of me and teacher's corrections of spelling mistakes. It looked like several classes' worth of kids and I still have no idea how they got my home address. I think my mom still has them somewhere at home. ANYWAY I tell this story because all of their drawings of me pretty much looked like that^, including actually taking the step of coloring me yellow.
    why was an inner-city elementary class congratulating a high schooler? isn't that a little backward..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012

I think it was a class assignment on writing a letter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012

I think that's awesome, Xue. And I love the fact that they colored you yellow.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    This probably upsets me more than it should, but I think any "chemicals are scary and bad" press is misleading and dangerous. This is mostly just ridiculous.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    My dad cured me of that at age 5 or 6 by saying "I'm going to dump CHEMICALS into your bath!", me screaming, him dumping salt into my bath, and explaining that salt is a chemical called sodium chloride.

Wait, I think this comment belongs in the advice for fathers thread...i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012

i love your dad
    d'oh

Faster than light neutrinos result was caused by loose cables.

And it's not even an Onion article.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

dammit... i was so looking forward to causality being broken...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Work email server got hax0rz'd:

So if you have a simple password for your email account, you should
    change it immediately. A simple password is one that is easily guessed
    (like a variant on your name) and/or a word followed by a number. For
    instance, "password123", "qwerty", "redsox07", "abcDEF", "yeast",
    "123abc" and "jimbrown3" are all bad passwords.
    i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Work email server got hax0rz'd:

So if you have a simple password for your email account, you should
    change it immediately. A simple password is one that is easily guessed
    (like a variant on your name) and/or a word followed by a number. For
    instance, "password123", "qwerty", "redsox07", "abcDEF", "yeast",
    "123abc" and "jimbrown3" are all bad passwords.

yeast? really?

also they forgot my favorite

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    EPIC! Stratton:
    yeast? really?

This is the science thread. Really.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^totally.

12345? Shit, now I have to change my luggage combination.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    my go-to password for non-important shit is my 7th grade locker number (it's got a letter too :O ) with the last digit repeated a couple times. i figure that's securish enough.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.

eta: National Geographic listed the top 10 passwords in the US a while ago. It was things like "password", 12345, 123456, and two of them were unprintable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    http://www.sodahead.com/living/predictable-passwords/question-1829727/

probably "FUCK" or something, hahaha.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Officially a Clinical Research Coordinator. This makes me a scientist, right? right?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

Welcome. Here's something I wish someone had told me circa 2008:

Human. Subjects. SUCK.
    Meh... I've dealt with them before. Not so bad.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012 edited

the giant poking finger is annoyingI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

it woudl be like living in a green screen crtascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I'm starting MS/MS sample prep training next week - anyone with any experience have any wisdom? specifically of the "WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT...." type?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

Put Icy Hot on your balls."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    It's important to filter your samples and not get drunk and call your ex in tears.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

Do you want to talk about it?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Non-hormonal, reversible birth control for men is apparently in the works.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I bet then we'll be able to get it for free. #menrule

My nemesis in college had some project of wanting to make men sterile by default by disrupting a protein necessary for the sperm to bind to the egg, then if you wanted kids you could take a supplement or something.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    yikes! injection into your vas deferens! sounds uncomfortable! still pretty cool though
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012

EXCEPT WHEN IT DOESN'T
    ^ 1+i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    More like "Science. Work, Bitches."

And by that I mean I work too much, not that any work is available to scientists.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Today has been eventful. The new post-doc in my room in the lab was having a gas leak over the weekend, the lever on her gas nozzle was loose. Instead of calling the emergency number for facilities, she taped the nozzle close and planned to tell our lab manager today. That didn't stop the leak though, so this morning the room reeked of gas and my baymate had to call to get them to shut off gas to the room.

Then I almost dropped a 2-stack of incubators (about 400lbs ea) on me 'cause the wheeled platform they are on doesn't roll properly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:my baymate had to call to get them to shut off gas to the room.

Seriously? how does a lab with gas lines not have access to it's own master shutoff valve?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I don't think most do. At least, not to non-facilites people. Apparently (I wasn't in the room at the time) the guy had to go up in the ceiling to shut off the gas to the whole bench, then a plumber had to come fix it. The only room around my lab (that I'm aware of) with its own emergency gas shut-off is our stem cell culture room.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Two plates, same master mix, same primer (from same tube), different results. Fudgesicles.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Realtime? Such a pain.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    IT'S ALL I DO

and usually it's fine, I'm doing primer tests now that are fuuuuuucking mei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy