Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012

surprisefries:Realtime? Such a pain.

Not as much of a pain as western blots! So glad I don't have to do those anymore... at least for now anyway.

late pass?
    ^still funny.

I'd rather do WBs than realtime. Maybe I'm scarred from loading so many 96 well plates with a single-channel.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

Here there be science? or not? another cancer cureI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Interesting that they're hitting the dopamine receptor but not hitting other cells. I may have to actually read that paper.

Also, as a grumpy FYI since I work on cancer stem cells, they are not totally not stem cells. But if you want to get that money, and get press, you have to call them that 'cause it's a buzzword. Actually, it is still disputed that cancer stem cells even exist.

But this is pretty cool. CSCs tend to be resistant to normal chemo, so you end up shrinking the tumor bulk but it comes right back when you stop the chemo. Lots of people (including me) are working on finding things that will target them specifically. If you can kill the CSCs you don't even need to kill the rest of the tumor, those cells don't divide so it'll just go away as they die.

Unless the whole CSC thing is bunk.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

surprisefries:
    Also, as a grumpy FYI since I work on cancer stem cells, they are not totally not stem cells. But if you want to get that money, and get press, you have to call them that 'cause it's a buzzword. Actually, it is still disputed that cancer stem cells even exist.

really? i don't follow the solid tumor stuff, but for the AMLs, it seems pretty clear that the cancer originates in one of the pluripotent stem cell populations & spins off a bunch of improperly matured but lineage restricted cells.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    You're right, I work with solid tumor stuff, and at least for that, they really don't make anything other than more tumor cells (and self-renew). My b!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

Riveting read of great scientific work to diagnose a new disorder in their sonI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    ^Wow. Can't wait to work my way through that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

^^Amazing and heartbreaking read.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012

MOAR SCIENCE! Zeolite thermal storage retains heat indefinitely, absorbs four times more heat than waterI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012

Woah... I didn't know there was a natural resistance to AIDSI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012

^ that's my old lab. I worked with several of those elite controllers.
    hiv diversity makes moving from them to vaccine design hard, though.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited

Okay, there is some debate going down about what a 1:4 dilution means.
    1) if you make a 1:4 dilution with 10ul and Xul - what is X?
    2) if a university is 1:2 male to female, and there are 50 men, how many women are there?

PLEASE POINT OUT SEMANTIC SHIT. I AM CONFUSED BUT I THINK I AM RIGHT.

EDIT: okay, this is the fucking dumbest notation in the universe. So can I always assume that when a protocol (which does not have the luxury of "one in four" vs "one to four" (which are both written the same way)) writes a dilution in this notation, it's always "1:4 means 1 part A and 3 parts B"?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    1) 1:4 is one in 4, so 10ul + 30ul
    2) 1:2 would be 50:100DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The autoclave we use for biohazard waste is not working. It's not getting any power to it. The screen is blank, when you push the buttons nothing happens, etc. Very obviously not working, and I contacted facilities to get it fixed a couple days ago.

This morning the lab manager comes to me (I'm sort of in charge of it) and asks if I know anything about it, someone in the lab (a post-doc no less) tried to autoclave waste but the indicator tag didn't turn brown. So this person, WHO HAS A PHD, put waste in, did not press the buttons to start it or did not notice that nothing happened when he pressed the buttons and it didn't start running, and thought his waste was being autoclaved.

science.

At least he noticed that the tag didn't turn brown and didn't just send it off with the decon'd waste.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012

^ This is why I prefer the old autoclaves that are basically gigantic pressure cookers you manually close/cycle/etc.

Actually, not really, but those things are pretty interesting to use. Like staring death in the face.unstuck in time
    Oh word. This is not quite that old but pretty damn old, it has 4 buttons and a really ghetto screen.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortspinning
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012

I find this to be a neat application of..... SCIENCE
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012

Woah, killing HepCI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh

SCIENCE

when the lab manager sends an email "reminding" people to use Trizol in the fume hood, you know you're surrounded by moronsi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Excellent facepalm from my PI in group meeting today, during a discussion about the Supreme Court saying you can patent genes, and how (again) we have to rethink the definition of what a gene is.

Another good quote from him was, "Y'know, all this talk about discovering that junk DNA isn't really junk, it's like Yuri Gagarin circling the Earth in a space capsule then coming back and saying, 'I discovered the Earth is round.' Really?"DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Also, this is really cool.
    A water droplet falling onto a superhydrophobic surface will rebound and bounce without wetting the surface. Capillary and internal waves reflect in the drop until it comes to rest at a high contact angle, formed at the boundary where the liquid, solid, and air meet. Such surfaces can have interesting interactions with water, as when two droplets coalesce on a surface and then begin bouncing or when superhydrophobic objects are dropped into a bath. (Video credit: Gangopadhyay Group, University of Missouri)
    via Fuck Yeah Fluid DynamicsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012 edited

watch some shit levitate, really though, this is incredible.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    think about the rollercoaster potential!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Obo:Riveting read of great scientific work to diagnose a new disorder in their son

Whoooaaaaa. This is fucking bizarre and awful.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Craigglesofdoom:
    Obo:Riveting read of great scientific work to diagnose a new disorder in their son

Whoooaaaaa. This is fucking bizarre and awful.

Holy crap. At least they figured out what was going on... although being patient zero never bodes well. I mean, if they need FDA approval, there's a lot of steps involved even before phase I safe-in-normal-human testing starts. It's crazy that a gene mutates, then a protein doesn't fold quite right, and all hell breaks loose down the line. Also, props for the open access article.
    Isn't there a way to bypass some of the FDA regs if you can show that a person is going to die and this might help them, or am I making that up?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012 edited

wasn't that the case with steve jobs and why he went to europe to pursue a new treatment for his condition?gone
    Perhaps. I know shit's way looser in Europe.

heh.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

being male: we obviously have the intangibles that only scientists can understand.

i'd like to see this done on a larger scale. good start.
    it'd be funnier if people weren't actually making that argument in the commentsi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012

tinyhonkshus:it'd be funnier if people weren't actually making that argument in the comments

Articles like create pseudo-evo-devo misogenistic MRAs in the comment section.
    It's like the spontaneous generation of maggots by meat.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    ^haha.

One of the post-docs in my lab came in today wearing this:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    nicei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    If the New Mexico weather cooperates, my favorite world record will be broken in about 7 hours. I'm getting up early to watch the live stream. The current record is held by Joe Kittenger, probably one of the worlds leading badasses, who jumped from the edge of space in 1960.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    paul jameson:If the New Mexico weather cooperates, my favorite world record will be broken in about 7 hours. I'm getting up early to watch the live stream. The current record is held by Joe Kittenger, probably one of the worlds leading badasses, who jumped from the edge of space in 1960.

What the FFFFFF it's past the supposed launch time and no update on the page.

Kill time by watching newsreel video from Kittenger's record here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Twitter is more helpful.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    goddamnit. scratched for today.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    NASA-style.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    This is for you, Peej.

7 insane areal stunts, to tide us over.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Hell yeah. i effing love wingwalkers. And the 20s daredevil fad in general.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    For anyone who missed the jump,
    here's a brief video recap.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D

HELL YEAHYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    way better than the out-the-door picturesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    And yet, "The "Edge of Space" jump: A corresponding fall to a schoolroom globe begins 1 millimeter above its surface. I'm just saying." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sometimes, for a brief moment in time, everything is awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012

let me know if you have any clip requests...because i'm literally going through every one on the interwebz. i've found some helmet cam vids, so far.