Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

TINSHIFA: Working for a department with facilities and staff that sucks so bad and treats grad students so poorly that when you fuck up something, like a shared instrument that will have to be fixed by the instrument managers, cost the school money, and result in a bunch of downtime, instead of thinking "oh shit, I'm gonna be in so much trouble" we're all just like "whatever, none of this shit works half the time anyway, fuck this place." Nice to not have to worry, but I'd much prefer a more positive student/staff dynamicYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013

#bu
    #srslyYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013

Paul, not all BU staff suck so bad. I love you grad students. You need somethin', you just holler down to the basement and I'll help ya out. I don't know shit about lab instruments, though. Stop doing wet stuff and start doing computational stuff.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:Stop doing wet stuff and start doing computational stuff.

Worst advice ever!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yep. FLASK LYFE!

My lab does more computational chemistry than most synthesis labs at BU because we don't target known molecules, just crazy-looking hydrocarbons. Anyone at the SCF has always been helpful and nice.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013

Our department chair is apparently so unpleasant to work for that all the competent staff left and now we have an undergrad student who works a day and a half a week and a department admin who, when I asked her to order a box of dry ice for my lab, asked ME how to generate a PO. She came from a dissolving department so everyone made a big deal out of how she'd know the system already but she's hopeless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013 edited

ratattack:Our department chair is apparently so unpleasant to work for that all the competent staff left and now we have an undergrad student who works a day and a half a week and a department admin who, when I asked her to order a box of dry ice for my lab, asked ME how to generate a PO. She came from a dissolving department so everyone made a big deal out of how she'd know the system already but she's hopeless.

That whole department is a god damn mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013

It reassures me to hear you say that because I haven't had enough experience with other departments to be able to tell if it's just my department or the whole damn place.
    Wait... which department? Come on up/down to mine! Our dept. rules.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

Biomedical Genetics Department.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

EPIC! Stratton:Come on up to mine! Our dept. rules.

ditto! come hang out with Nancy and me anytime.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

looking for full time environmental/conservation work.
    boston/new england/nationalgone
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013 edited

http://www.livingroyal.com/collections/apartment/products/chemistry-101-flask-book

I saw this in a store this weekend. What the hell is that molecule supposed to be?

edit: it's vanillin. that's dumb.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I mean, I guess you could put vanilla extract in your flask? It'll get ya drunk!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    pro tip: don't do that.

your burps the next day will only remind you of the shameful thing you've done...You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    It's also a pretty expensive way to get drunk, unless you steal it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

^^we did that back in year 8 and they had to take vanilla essence off the shelves at the local stores.
    some people got sick. most drunk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

When I was a kid and my mom was teaching my sister and I how to bake/do fractions, she had us smell and then taste the vanilla extract. I remember her saying that it smelled wonderful but tasted terrible. Years later when I decided to make my own vanilla extract, I realized that was because it's just vanilla pods soaked in vodka. Or bourbon, if you're feeling fancy. Mom was unaware of this.
    Your mom used baking to teach you fractions? That's awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

Yeah, in retrospect it was awesome and we smashed fractions when they taught them in school a few years later. At the time, it was frustrating figuring out how to double a recipe that called for 3/4 of a cup of flour because it stood between me and pie.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

gc:looking for full time environmental/conservation work.
    boston/new england/national

That's awesome.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/employment.htm <-- a good place to start

Omar who posts here sometimes has a DCR job. I asked him about it last summer, he said you have to pay your dues for a year or more before you get picked up full time."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Yo, "baking" taught me fractions too, as well as Metric to English unit conversions. 4 eighths in a half, 7 grams in a quarter, 28 in a Z and what not. Hell, the manager at the record store I used to work at had me count the money in the registers every night simply because I could do it faster and more accurately than anyone else. Some good life skills baking has taught me...We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Butter extract smells SO good, but, again, tastes like death.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited

if thats a brain of some sort, send that to xue asapsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    clicky on the pic-y! It's a zebrafish brain.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    A month or two ago I decided the big fish tank in my room at work needed a bubble curtain, so I made one running off the house air supply.

I guess Safety didn't like it when they came through last week, 'cause a facilities guy just stopped by saying someone had put in a work request for an air hookup on the other side of the aisle there, and assumed it was from me. I said, uh no, but go ahead and put it in, I mean if you want, it's like really really not important. But I think he's gonna do it.

SCIENCEDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:It's also a pretty expensive way to get drunk, unless you steal it.

One day I came in to work and there were ten empty market basket brand vanilla extract bottles on our steps. It took me a while to figure out what happened.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013 edited

Has anybody ever made or heard of someone making a positive air pressure hood? I work for a small biotech startup with limited funds (aka, we use colored pieces of plastic and a cardboard box as our gel imaging station) and I really want a small, benchtop, personal hood but we can't justify the minimum 5000 for one so I figured I might be able to make a small one using plexiglass, some hepa filters, a fan and rubber seals. Doesn't have to be too, too ultra clean, really mostly for dust that we use it.

I was inspired to make my own hood when I saw some person online who had made their own centrifuge using a dremel, a milled piece of aluminum and a sheet metal shield in case it exploded. Apparently able to get a lot more g's than most (if not all) low to mid range centrifuges. Now I wanna hack all the stupid expensive lab equipment and use that money for really expensive stuff...aka, oligos n shit.unstuck in time
    I feel like Fancy and/or Lauren work/have worked in a core sequencing lab. We keep getting NUTTY sequencing results back - as in, I prep 3x of 3 different plasmids, and when I get the sequencing back, they're ALL sequenced as type 3. Or one day type 1 will turn out to be type 2, and the next day, it will turn out to be type 3. It seems VANISHINGLY unlikely that the sequencing facility is fucking up, but I have gone back through every step of my process and I cannot figure it out. Is it secretly totally likely that it's the sequencing facility?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013

west.:Has anybody ever made or heard of someone making a positive air pressure hood? I work for a small biotech startup with limited funds (aka, we use colored pieces of plastic and a cardboard box as our gel imaging station) and I really want a small, benchtop, personal hood but we can't justify the minimum 5000 for one so I figured I might be able to make a small one using plexiglass, some hepa filters, a fan and rubber seals. Doesn't have to be too, too ultra clean, really mostly for dust that we use it.

Do you mean negative air pressure?

Fume hoods aren't all that complicated. I'm certain you could make your own. The ones I have experience with adjust a duct in the exhaust route to modify the airflow volume in order to maintain a set face velocity, but if you don't care about that sort of thing, there is nothing complicated about it if all you care about is dust. You'll have to be mindful of dust buildup inside the exhaust mechanism, in your fan and ducts and so forth.
    If he's concerned about contamination of whatever he's working on, he does mean positive pressure (inside the hood). Negative would be for containment of hazards within the hood.

I don't think I have any insights that can help, but rmull's right that if you're not trying to go crazy with it, it shouldn't be hard. If you do this please post pics.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013

surprisefries:If he's concerned about contamination of whatever he's working on, he does mean positive pressure (inside the hood). Negative would be for containment of hazards within the hood.

Makes sense - haven't had any exposure to this, so I overlooked it. In this case do the contaminants wind up in the room with the scientist?
    Yes, unless you have a scavenging system which would filter the air before putting it back into the room, or into the house exhaust. Doesn't sound like he's using anything hazardous though, just stuff that needs a relatively dust-free environment while he's working on it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013

Adorable magnetic particle-infused Silly Putty blob "swallowing" a rare earth magnet:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013

surprisefries:Yes, unless you have a scavenging system which would filter the air before putting it back into the room, or into the house exhaust. Doesn't sound like he's using anything hazardous though, just stuff that needs a relatively dust-free environment while he's working on it.

This, and positive pressure was correct.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

tinyhonkshus:I feel like Fancy and/or Lauren work/have worked in a core sequencing lab. We keep getting NUTTY sequencing results back - as in, I prep 3x of 3 different plasmids, and when I get the sequencing back, they're ALL sequenced as type 3. Or one day type 1 will turn out to be type 2, and the next day, it will turn out to be type 3. It seems VANISHINGLY unlikely that the sequencing facility is fucking up, but I have gone back through every step of my process and I cannot figure it out. Is it secretly totally likely that it's the sequencing facility?

Lauren would know better, I think she does that type of sequencing. I only work in next gen sequencing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

tinyhonkshus:I feel like Fancy and/or Lauren work/have worked in a core sequencing lab. We keep getting NUTTY sequencing results back - as in, I prep 3x of 3 different plasmids, and when I get the sequencing back, they're ALL sequenced as type 3. Or one day type 1 will turn out to be type 2, and the next day, it will turn out to be type 3. It seems VANISHINGLY unlikely that the sequencing facility is fucking up, but I have gone back through every step of my process and I cannot figure it out. Is it secretly totally likely that it's the sequencing facility?

can you do a diagnostic 2/3 restriction enzyme digest, with different patterns expected for each plasmid?Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013 edited

We figured it out - we were cloning something spec resistant into something spec resistant and ended up with a bunch of original plasmids mixed in with the new ones. It was a pretty stupid mistake in retrospect, but it had somehow not been a problem the first 15 times we did it. (also i am new at this)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    surprisefries:A month or two ago I decided the big fish tank in my room at work needed a bubble curtain, so I made one running off the house air supply.
    pic1
    pic2
    I guess Safety didn't like it when they came through last week, 'cause a facilities guy just stopped by saying someone had put in a work request for an air hookup on the other side of the aisle there, and assumed it was from me. I said, uh no, but go ahead and put it in, I mean if you want, it's like really really not important. But I think he's gonna do it.

SCIENCE

So a dude from facilities actually came and ran a line in the ceiling up and over, and installed a port on the other side, so we can have a bubble curtain in the fishtank and be EHS compliant. This is so ridiculous, and awesome.
    edit:
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013

^This is no fair. Why can't I pimp out fishtanks at work.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Obo:^This is no fair. Why can't I pimp out fishtanks at work.

Have you tried? Last I checked, you worked in an industry where they have ball pits at work.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013

Ball pits sound awful. I sweat enough down there as it is.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013 edited

I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    oh my god i've heard rumors about thatNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    There was a good 5 minutes of talk about docking in lab meeting this morning. loller.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Apparently, putting up posters of eyes can reduce bicycle theft.

I didn't do a critical reading or look up the actual paper so it could be total bs, but it's funny either way.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D