Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Reddit informs me that n=cv is an equation that people teach - specifically, moles = concentration (molar) x volume

Is there any reason not to be outraged by the stupidity of this? Am I missing something?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    no that's pretty damn dumbDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013

tinyhonkshus:Reddit informs me

Is there any reason not to be outraged by the stupidity of this?gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013 edited

Wait, how is that different than teaching D=RT? it's simple, but is it stupid? Am I missing something?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I think it's dumb to spend time teaching that as an Equation that one must memorize, when it's just a really basic/obvious method.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I think the fact that the concentration has to be molar is what gets me. Like you can't use the equation unless you understand molarity, and if you understand molarity, you don't need the equation. And when would you ever need to know the number of moles in something, except in the context of molarity?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    You put it better than I did T-honkz, that equation is just the definition of molarity.

Just use percent solutions, it's easier and lazier.

WAIT PJ, you're a chemist, do you people actually use molality? I haven't used it since like sophomore year of college.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    No one uses molality.

No equation too simple. If it helps people learn how to cancel units, that's cool with me.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    *sigh*

And yet another day passes in my life that I didn't use algebra, but I did use comic sans. All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013

surprisefries:You put it better than I did T-honkz, that equation is just the definition of molarity.

Just use percent solutions, it's easier and lazier.

WAIT PJ, you're a chemist, do you people actually use molality? I haven't used it since like sophomore year of college.

I use molaRity almost daily.
    What are you, some kind of chemist? Percent solution is where it's at yo!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    We like to use percent, molarity AND "x" notation. I constantly look like an idiot. And I think it's dumb that I should have to google "1000x Ampicillin" to know how to make it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ugh, I think X is the worst of all. Also, normal.

eta: I like molar the best but man pct sol'n is so much easier.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited

In descending order of usefulness: molarity, normality, percent, (then way below that) molality.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Fair enough, chemist.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    biologists don't understand normality, give it upi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    it's true :/DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited

if you reallllly wanna do some math...
    answersomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013

Which of you science freaks is going to open up a cannalysis business for the upcoming MMJ industry? Independent analysis is going to be required of those shops.We are the small axe.
    Was there a mission patch for Sputnik 2? Or some other descriptive emblem? Just looking for any sick Sputnik 2 iconography.

Also graphical messages sent to space other than the pioneer plaque, voyager records, and the Arecibo message?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ^^I hate paperwork, so not me.

^This project sounds interesting, post whatever you find plz.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Ugh, I totally forgot that I have to re-up on my human research subject protection training.

Because I grow human cells (completely divorced from identifying info) in a dish.

Such BS.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    DQ So if you can't patent a natural gene, but you can patent the cDNA made from the gene, are Myriad's tests still protected in some way? You'd have to amplify the DNA for a test right? Unless you're doing like sequencing from a small cell number but that's way too expensive.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013

^if anyone answers this, i'm going to be very upset. my stupid technical bike question wasn't answered. ME FIRST.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^You're in the science thread, Nugglehead.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^MY REQUESTS TRANSCEND THREADS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

surprisefries:DQ So if you can't patent a natural gene, but you can patent the cDNA made from the gene, are Myriad's tests still protected in some way? You'd have to amplify the DNA for a test right? Unless you're doing like sequencing from a small cell number but that's way too expensive.

For the next gen sequencing that I do there are amplification free protocols. Of course you still need to have a decent amount to start. Also it's not that expensive anymore.
    Fair enough. I still think patenting cDNA is bullshit. Can we start patenting primers too?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

I agree with you, I tried reading more into it because I wasn't sure the real reasoning behind saying you can't patent a gene but you can patent the cDNA. Seems like bullshit to me too.
    Guys this looks pretty damn awesome http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kennygibbs/helios-bars-transform-any-bike-into-a-smart-bike?ref=categoryYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013

Fancy:I agree with you, I tried reading more into it because I wasn't sure the real reasoning behind saying you can't patent a gene but you can patent the cDNA. Seems like bullshit to me too.

I read the summary this morning.

Apparently, since you have to do something to the rna to produce the cDNA, then it's a sequence/base chemistry not present in nature, and thus patentable.

of course, if you specifically amplify just the exon containing the Braca mutation, with no splice junctions, then you're back to the same DNA sequence present in the patient, and thus it's a natural product again.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    Right, cDNA is not in nature, but neither it nor protocols to make it are even remotely novel.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

surprisefries:Right, cDNA is not in nature, but neither it nor protocols to make it are even remotely novel.

i know, i know, but apparently according to the supreme court, the sequence/chemistry combination is novel enough to be able to patent that dna sequence.

i foresee a rush to patent every cDNA in sequencing data. you want to use b-actin as a loading control? pay up, sucker.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^yeah, that's gonna be awfulDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Just saw Eric Lander give an informal talk about Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, for which he (collaborating with a bunch of people) wrote an amicus brief that got a lot of play in oral arguments. It was awesome, plus he said they're gonna do a more formal thing in the fall with the Harvard Law prof that helped with the brief, and he might even be able to get Justice Breyer there.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    joeyfresh:

Does it come in black?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013

Nope. But if you can handle it in white, here's the link: http://doomtree.bigcartel.com/product/p-o-s-c-r-e-a-m-shirtWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3o2Q-YLPw

A+DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I aspire to be as awesome as Jessica Lee when I grow up.
    In the absence of any information or trends, is changing one variable at a time really the most efficient way to optimize an experiment or is there some math-y algorithm that works better?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Isn't that the only way to do a true controlled experiment?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I think what I'm thinking about only works if your variables are truly independent.

It would go something like: with 10 variables, run 2 experiments changing 5 each. Take the one that worked better, run 2 more experiments, one changing 3 and the other changing the remaining 2, etc. until you narrow it down to one. for 10 variables, the maximum number of experiments would be 8 instead of 10.

but I don't think that makes real sense.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I don't know if it works with true "experiments" vs say, reactions, but when I'm trying to pick pcr8 clones, there is a 50% chance that the reaction will have inserted the gene backwards, and will be meaningless. My boss is always trying to get me to test 3 colonies at a time (requires overnight wait for sequencing) so that there will "definitely be one correct one" (lol, as if), and I'm always trying to convince her that if I'm working with like 15 samples, if I do 2 colonies at a time, I'm more likely to do less total work, because I'll definitely have some right the first time and not have to repeat them for a TOTAL of 3 tries.

So what I'm saying is, I understand your question, but I am skeptical that it would work in a true experimental setting.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

If your variables are truly independent, you can run experiments in parallel (that is, change many variables at once). Trouble is, its often impossible to determine if variables are truly independent (in my experience at least, not of the tubes and beakers variety).

Source: I work on a website that runs hundreds of experiments at a time, on millions of people.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

What does science say about the latest hope against cancer??

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/testing_starts_creates_homegrown_4jSHWpWFBEkczPTFque7VMI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Science beards are dangerous![pdf]

spoiler alert: not reallyDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

BEARD WASHING METHOD: LET THE CAT TAKE CARE OF ITWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^Also, my opinion on your question Obo is, it's exciting but I dunno...anything that promises to kill all different types of cancers makes me suspicious. However, if there is something that can do that, I'd think it would be something like this. It's certainly really cool. I wonder about collateral damage though.

IANA(real)S and all that.

Oh, and at the risk of sounding pedantic, that really doesn't sound like a vaccine to me and I wish people would stop saying shit like that, like calling the HPV vaccine a cancer vaccine, which is even worse. Anyway.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D