Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

paul jameson:In the absence of any information or trends, is changing one variable at a time really the most efficient way to optimize an experiment or is there some math-y algorithm that works better?

What we often do is to run a sparse matrix- run all combinations of two or three different variables over relatively few conditions, pick the best condition, and optimize from there. This generally gives better results than optimizing a single condition at a time.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    The kind-of-crazy post doc I work with just told me she really wants to make a knockout mouse. I told her I would help if it gets approved by the PI. Why did I do that.

PI will never approve though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

Sounds awesome.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    YES!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

^^haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited

Got scoped today by Mrs. Pocky and a classmate of hers. Now I have a baseline in case anything ever goes wrong in the future. Since she's a student and needed the hours, I volunteered to be a subject and got it done for free. It would otherwise have cost a fortune because insurance will not cover this kind of thing if your voice is healthy.

My larynx looks like a tiny alien vagina:

The rigid laryngoscope that they used is much longer than you'd think it needs to be, and surprisingy wide. Next time I will see if they'll do it through the nose with the flexible nasal laryngoscope, which has an articulated camera at the far end with a little joystick on the control to move it around, but it goes through your nose, which is weird. They even have tiny nasal forceps to pry your nostril open when they spray the lidocaine in, which is freaky.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited

pocky:My larynx looks like a tiny alien vagina

...or, as Chris just pointed out, The Eye of Sauron.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Getting scoped through the nose is pretty uncomfortable. Although I didn't get lidocaine so ymmv.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013

She's better with the nasal one so I wanted to give her the opportunity to practice with the rigid one yesterday. What's nice about the nasal one is you can sing full out while it's in there, since it doesn't get in the way of your vocal tract. (I got the lidocaine spray for the rigid one anyway, no side effects noticed other than brief burning sensation at the start. And it tastes like burning bananas.)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:The Vagina of Sauron.
    Take-off everything but your rainboots

HiRISE/MRO sees Curiosity
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    pocky:She's better with the nasal one so I wanted to give her the opportunity to practice with the rigid one yesterday. What's nice about the nasal one is you can sing full out while it's in there, since it doesn't get in the way of your vocal tract. (I got the lidocaine spray for the rigid one anyway, no side effects noticed other than brief burning sensation at the start. And it tastes like burning bananas.)

Do they need more people? Is it a study?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I just had a conversation about how most people forget that we're exploring Mars every day, and it's a shame because it's so goddamn cool. Opportunity has been hauling ass around Mars for a decade.

Mars, bro.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    so goddamn motherfucking unbelievably goddamn coolDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013

EPIC! Stratton:
    Do they need more people? Is it a study?

This one isn't a study, just students getting experience doing the laryngoscopies, and I don't think they put out calls for regular volunteers because they get plenty of normal patients coming in for treatment who consent to have a student do it, plus the students do it to each other, but I was in there because I talked my way in. :) I know she's thinking she might put out a call to more singers, though, because she wants more experience specifically working with singers.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I don't know why everyone thinks it's so weird that I have a dead fish in the freezer in my bay.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Frankenfriessomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013

surprisefries:I don't know why everyone thinks it's so weird that I have a dead fish in the freezer in my bay.
    I think it's the little Marilyn Monroe wigs and pink lipstick you put on them that's creeping people out.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    That's not normal fish grieving?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Melting cars (well, kinda). Still neat.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Sunny surprise! Can be accomplished on a smaller scale with one of those cheap door-hanger mirrors.

I remember a news piece a couple years ago that people were having their siding damaged by sunlight being focused/reflected by their neighbors' windows. I wonder what ever happened with that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    SO DOPE.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013

Apparatus for facilitating the birth of a child by centrifugal force
    My friend premiered an opera about this at the Ignobel Prize ceremony last week. The details of the plot of the opera are fictional, but the patent is 100% real. Including the net.

Act 1, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VG67U2D-gs&t=21m44s
    Act 2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VG67U2D-gs&t=34m15s
    Act 3, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VG67U2D-gs&t=1h5m22s
    Act 4, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VG67U2D-gs&t=1h17m44s
    (No one act is more than about 6 minutes long.)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013

OUTER SPACE, Y'ALL
    ALSO THIS SHIT IS DOPE
    NASA's Eyes

Fly around the motherfuckin' solar system and check out satellites and shit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:OUTER SPACE, Y'ALL

surprisefries:ALSO THIS SHIT IS DOPE
    NASA's Eyes

Fly around the motherfuckin' solar system and check out satellites and shit.

Yes to both. SPACE!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

Why is nobody exploring Uranus?!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    saving that one for you ;)tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

I thank you. It was immensely satisfying.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Space is so fucking cool.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Craigglesofdoom:Space is so fucking cold.
    I want to start a site/blog/forum with the thesis "Technicians Are Scientists Too", but I'm not sure how I could possibly do it without it becoming a list of ways I feel screwed by my employers, coworkers and governing bodies.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^Would read.

Mine would be called "Techs Are People Too," I don't really consider myself a scientist even though it seems like most people do. That is not to say that techs can't be scientists. It's a personal thing.

Plus it's more on the nose about HEY YOU STOP TREATING ME LIKE A ROBOT/MAID.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Also this morning I poured an agarose gel and forgot to put the combs in 'cause Monday.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

tinyhonkshus:...but I'm not sure how I could possibly do it without it becoming a list of ways I feel screwed by my employers, coworkers and governing bodies.
    I see nothing wrong with this. Would read.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I was gonna say techs are people too, but I don't suffer from too much dehumanization at work, just the attitude that I don't care, my contribution doesn't matter and that only people with PhDs care about science.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^Word.

Also I meant to say I would read it either way.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Anyone have a clear description of what the government shutdown means for research? are national labs closed? is grant money frozen?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited

paul jameson:Anyone have a clear description of what the government shutdown means for research? are national labs closed? is grant money frozen?

I was reading this earlier: "NIH-funded researchers can continue their research for as long as their money holds out."
    I have a friend who's an RA at NCI and got furloughed. Also PubMed is on a skeleton crew.

edit for herf and to add MJ (not super specific) list of who gets screwed by this.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    If you try to go to research.gov there's a good statement about the NSF shutdown.

also according to Emily Lakdawalla's blog:

"In brief: All of NASA's missions that are operated out of JPL and APL are continuing to operate normally today and for at least a week. At JPL, that includes: Curiosity; Opportunity; Odyssey; Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter; Cassini; Dawn; Juno; Spitzer; the Voyagers; and WISE, among many others. At APL, that includes MESSENGER and New Horizons. It also includes the Deep Space Network, which JPL manages but which is subcontracted out to other entities for actual operation."You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

Will this affect PJ's ability to purchase Mad Dog 20/20?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Salyut 3 had a gun.

LOLWUTYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    hahahaha that is some janky ussr shit right there

Also it seems like a huge waste to put up a space station for less than a year. Oh, Cold War.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    the more I think about this, the more fucking hilarious it is

they might as well have just duct-taped an AK to the outsideDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2013

THIS SPACE STATION MAY NOT BE FOR YOUWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013

How Dogs (et. al.) Shake Themselves Dry And Why It WorksI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh