Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

tinyhonkshus:"sphincter7 regulates butthole methylation"

just read this again and let out a snort real loud at my desk.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    i did not fully appreciate that at the timeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    happy birthday (yesterday) to the Hubble Space Telescope
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Dudes. Have you ever used tetramethylammonium chloride in your PCRs? HOLY CRAP, dat specific annealing.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I haven't done a PCR in years.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    guhi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I almost had to, a few months ago. But the post-doc it was for offered to do the PCR after I did all the chIPs, and since I was busy I took her up on it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014 edited

Here there be science question:

For any of you lab rats:

I'm moving into a lab that doesn't have house vacuum (ie: a low-vac line plumbed into the bench from a huge vacuum in the basement)

Our options for getting low-vac for filtering, etc. seem to be water aspirators (cheap, but waste 2 gallons a minute) or water aspirating pumps (expensive, and any higher-tech pump wouldn't be resiliant enough for everyday low-vac use)

my question is this: does anyone have experience with venturi vacuum systems? they operate like a multi-stage water aspirator but use compressed air rather than water, so you're just wasting electricity and not running a sink all the time.

We're looking into something like the vac-cube.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    paul jameson:Here there be science question:

For any of you lab rats:

I'm moving into a lab that doesn't have house vacuum (ie: a low-vac line plumbed into the bench from a huge vacuum in the basement)

Our options for getting low-vac for filtering, etc. seem to be water aspirators (cheap, but waste 2 gallons a minute) or water aspirating pumps (expensive, and any higher-tech pump wouldn't be resiliant enough for everyday low-vac use)

my question is this: does anyone have experience with venturi vacuum systems? they operate like a multi-stage water aspirator but use compressed air rather than water, so you're just wasting electricity and not running a sink all the time.

We're looking into something like the vac-cube.

Just do thing by mouth - old school style.

Nothing bad could come from this ;)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Just make sure you swallow bleach too, if you're using it for biohazard materials.

I have no actual experience though, sorry. Any way you can make them put in a house system for the floor or something?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Bleach is alarmingly non toxic, btw.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    The dose makes the poison, as they say.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The doge makes the poisson.

You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    A+i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:A+
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014

hahaha
    Today I learned (by reading Nature) that there are practicing PhD biologists in both Bad Religion and the Descendents. WUT.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    That's awesome.

I am the only person in my band without a PhD, but they're all computery/neurosciencey types.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2014

::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorfoulweather
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014 edited

pocky:

surprisefries:

I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    So, if you need a gel power supply, and someone's using it, you stop it, plug yours in, and start it again, right? You don't need to correct the voltage in any way? Just had a weird experience and am now wondering if I've been doing this wrong for five years.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    That's a good question and I don't actually know the answer for sure. I wouldn't think you'd need to do anything, the output should be per hookup, not total. Was the current the same after adding the second one?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    It went from 100 V before I added my box to >200V when I added it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    hrm. What happened to the gels? One negative result doesn't disprove your method of course.

I had some bad experiences running PAGEs in this lab, even when running them exactly the same way I did in my old lab.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014 edited

tinyhonkshus:So, if you need a gel power supply, and someone's using it, you stop it, plug yours in, and start it again, right? You don't need to correct the voltage in any way? Just had a weird experience and am now wondering if I've been doing this wrong for five years.

If the power supply is set to constant voltage, than the volts will stay the same, but the amperage will ~double with a second gel. i bet you were looking at the amps readout.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    Right. I just figured it'd be set up so that's constant per outlet and plugging in a second shouldn't affect the first.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014

had occasion to do a real world test this afternoon- amperage is spread over all the outlets, at least with our power boxes.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    omg data!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I was looking at the amps, but I NEVER go by amps, so I switched the view to volts and it was still really high. I ONLY KNOW HOW TO VOLTS.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    we're biologists, not electrical engineers for goodness sake

i always just use volts tooDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014

I got some basic electrical re-education while working on a recent biological project: 600+ volts from the strong electric organ of the electric eel!

Genomic basis for the convergent evolution of electric organs.

Little is known about the genetic basis of convergent traits that originate repeatedly over broad taxonomic scales. The myogenic electric organ has evolved six times in fishes to produce electric fields used in communication, navigation, predation, or defense. We have examined the genomic basis of the convergent anatomical and physiological origins of these organs by assembling the genome of the electric eel (Electrophorus electricus) and sequencing electric organ and skeletal muscle transcriptomes from three lineages that have independently evolved electric organs. Our results indicate that, despite millions of years of evolution and large differences in the morphology of electric organ cells, independent lineages have leveraged similar transcription factors and developmental and cellular pathways in the evolution of electric organs.
    Copyright © 2014, American Association for the Advancement of ScienceTroglodytarum is latin for troll
    well that's pretty radDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014

whoaWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    MAVEN successfully entered Mars orbit yesterday, after a 33 minute burn to scrub off over 2,700mph.
    I remember watching the launch last November.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

needs more boosters, more struts!

(anyone play ksp?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

KSP is amazing. I now have a grasp of how complicated orbital mechanics really is. Also, gravity slingshots rule.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    kossmonaut:needs more boosters, more struts!

(anyone play ksp?)

howl:KSP is amazing. I now have a grasp of how complicated orbital mechanics really is. Also, gravity slingshots rule.

KSP is so good.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

its such a good game and still so far away from 1.0, i hate getting new mods for every patch though
    India's orbiter made it too.
    Its braking velocity to enter Mars orbit was 1098.7m/s. Apparently India is the first country to successfully put a probe in Mars orbit on the first try.

• CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014

Holy Shit -- Paralysed man walks again after cell transplant

Bonus Holy Shit: None of those involved in the research want to profit from it. Prof Geoff Raisman said: "It would be my proudest boast if I could say that no patient had had to pay one penny for any of the information we have found." NSIF said if there were any patents arising, it would acquire them so as to make the technique freely available.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Haven't read it yet but probably just by publishing it, they made it unpatentable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Always remember:

Pros patent pre-publication.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    we are an ideal gasDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015

Sciencing on the new antibiotic they've "found" Teixobactin (w/ link to the paper)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015 edited

That linked reddit comment bothers me because it's like "The real news here is Epstein's innovative culturing system!" but that has been around in some form (not to say Epstein didn't pioneer it) for over a decade: http://www.novobiotic.com/compounds-publications/. There is already a pharma company based on it, and the first author on this paper is a VP. I know because I interviewed there five years ago. File under "not breaking news".

edit: the method used in this paper was published in 2010i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries