Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

my whole lab (3 techs) had a parade up to the 6th floor with our lab manager to use a nano drop in another core lab (whose lab manager couldn't believe we brought 4 people to nano drop 5 samples) because we're trying to assess how accurate ours is (rather than calling up the manufacturer and finding out how to determine if it's measuring things accurately). my lab manager went up to the first people she saw, stuck her head in their office, and barked, "where is yuri?!" at them. one of them was wearing a cycling cap so fancy, if that was you, i apologize.

i was the one with the icarus shirt, gray cardigan, and i'm pretty sure all three techs were all wearing a look of embarrassment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

^ orange cycling cap? that was me! i noticed the parade earlier and was wondering what was going on! I was in the middle of a flour sandwich and couldn't respond.

so funny.
    I am so friggin jealous of you people who work near other people.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

yeah. it's ridiculous. we usually use our nano drop when we have a small number of samples and a plate reader for a couple hundred, and then spot check them against the nano drop. all of the plate reader ones we did recently were higher by a bit and the manager said to go with the nano dropped ones. when asked why we're dismissing the plate reader over the nano drop she said, "they say it's more accurate." um. WHO says? "the nano drop people". well of course they're going to say their machine is the most accurate.

so rather than find out how accurate our nano drop is, or attempt to calibrate it or service it or test it in any way, she just sought out another spectrophotometer to see what the OD was according to that one. and the readings were higher by a bit, and she still wants to go with the results from our nano drop. *shrug*

i could be wrong, but if that was you i might have passed you on the way to the e. newton bike cages this morning too. i had my clear rain jacket, a road bike, and cold legs because i decided against knee warmers for the ride in. wrong decision.
    tinyhonkshus:I am so friggin jealous of you people who work near other people.

+1[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited

Okay, since I did this thing I'm going to stick my neck out and share it with you science nerds: I have a public health-oriented blog now, just created.

http://whatdoyoumatter.wordpress.com

The second post includes an audio recording of the smallpox conference I attended on Monday. (Big ups to Will dub for mastering them.) Please feel free to check it out. We intend on posting as regularly as we can. (Edit: Read the intro post to get an idea of what we're thinking.) If any of you want to be involved in any way- as commenters, contributors, or critics- I'd be honored.

Okay, back to cat videos.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

^^^ might've been me? I ride with a red chrome bag, usually. I couldn't see much that morning because my glasses were covered in rain drops. I need little wipers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

hah. cait and i had a prolonged discussion this morning about how we need glasses wipers and a way to de-fog the lenses.
    Just Rain-X them.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    AAAAAHHHHHHH so my lab is moving to the University of Miami (hence me moving to the Whitehead). We are shipping out our -20C, our +4C, all our shit from the -80C, and one LN2 freezer of cell stocks tomorrow morning.

i am the de facto lab manager so this week has been pretty fuckin' crazy for me. also my PI keeps changing the plan. and i just got a bunch of forms TODAY from the department equipment manager that need to be filled out.

i hope we're ready when the truck gets here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Whew.

Everything's on the truck. It was a little weird/sad to see all the boxes of my samples, 3 years of my work life, go onto a truck, and i'll never see them again.

Now to get all the room temp shit ready to be packed up on Monday.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^Woah. Holly stress![all your base are belong to us]
    it's official
    bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    so recently at the ol' archive we've been getting a lot of Harvard Medical books from 1903-1908, and uh, wow. i really just want to share this image - no, this truth! - because it's kinda bizarre.

Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010 edited

Curious about what you all think about this article. It's more about development and the determinants of health than hard science.
    Nicholas Kristof: Moonshine or the Kids? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/opinion/23kristof.htmlWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010 edited

^^so, uhm...she had a whitehead pimple on her ass?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    joeyfresh, MPH:
    6/5 it is.

If you change the date for Bird and myself who are going away then, I promise to bring a fine bottle of scotch for everyone to share. And another bottle to fucking break over Outcold's head. I will not handle cleanup, though.
    you on your period meph? they have pills for that you should look intosomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    yeah, i am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

hey meph. ya still on tour? is starbuck's even open this time o' night in da hinterlands? send us homebound workin' stiffs some pics from the road!

; )
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

I think the following weekend is fine. I'll keep you posted.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Mick:^^so, uhm...she had a whitehead pimple on her ass?

no! a fully functioning boob on her ass. (fully functioning = milk came out during pregnancy)Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    boobs have lots of other functions!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

They are also good for reducing male intelligence.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    for instancei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

That gives "kiss my ass" a whole other meaning.We are the small axe.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

"suckle my ass-teat"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCWA7uevo_Q#t=6m13s

Science and Whiskey

Probably old news for most of you but Look Around You is the shit.

PS: is there a way to link to videos without embedding them, or to embed them so that they start at a specific time?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    This is what i walked into this morning:

That's my desk at the back there. Most of the boxes are gone now, and there's a noticeable echo in the room.

Any Longwood cats that wanna hang this week, it's my last week in Longwood and it doesn't look like i'll have that much to do.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

^ I've been involved in two lab moves and will have to do another one when we finally move to the NEIDL. At least that one is just across the street. When do you start at Whitehead? I'm at the Broad every so often for work so we can meet up for lunch when I am!
    Cool dude, i start at the WI next week, orientation all day Tues then i'm in the lab.

ALSO
    Longwood people, me and my BWH research buds are goin to probably the Pig or Flann's after work on Thursday, y'all should come.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    tinyhonkshus:boobs have lots of other functions!

my bad, i meant the like, you know, 'baby's best friend' function. the book was all about acute abnormalities in pregnant womensMuch like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    surprisefries:Cool dude, i start at the WI next week, orientation all day Tues then i'm in the lab.

ALSO
    Longwood people, me and my BWH research buds are goin to probably the Pig or Flann's after work on Thursday, y'all should come.

pig pig pig!joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

the following two pictures popped up in this order in google reader:

from here

from here
    also, (and this may have been asked) but does political science count?joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

no, gtfo
    frowns.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

SUCKLE MY SUPERNUMERARY ASS-TEAT, SHAH.
    can't, i'm too busy debating the Goldwater effect on the modern electorate in northwest Wyoming.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

If it's wrong that this conversation gets me aroused, then I don't want to be right.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks

IT'S SOAP! OMG!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    oh my atheist nothing. that will make excellent gifts for some people in my life.

nice one, honks!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

^^ holy crap! i need that!
    Dude. Organizing the chemical waste for pickup is so fun.

I found:
    -THREE different bottles of formalin waste. Two 1%, one 10%. None even close to full. Whyyyyyyyyy three?
    -Abbreviations on the bottle tags (big no-no).
    -A bottle of bleach/water (and pipet tips). THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL OR BIOHAZARD WASTE.
    -A double-biohazard bag, tied off, with a piece of tape that said "Broken Thermometer". Not a biohazard, first of all. Why is it in the chemical waste bin? If it's a mercury thermometer it's chemical waste but then someone severely fucked up by doing that. Fortunately it was just an alcohol thermometer. Which is COMPLETELY nonhazardous except for being broken glass. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKK.

I am 95% sure these were all the same person. How many times do i have to yell at one person over the course of 2.5 years before you can do things right? Right now i am happy i no longer work with this person.

Careers in science are so glamorous.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^this is familiar to me =(

The safety people finally sent out an email this week being like "don't pour liquid into the biohazard waste bags. they leak and someone might GET SHIT ON THEM."

In college I burned my hand on a dirty pipette that someone had flamed and put in the pipette waste still hot while I was doing the cleaning rounds. This is why techs snap and put people in walls.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad

D:
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i may or may not have poured mercury waste down the drain in high school chemistry. please do not yell at me, evan.

in a somewhat related note, if any of you science undergrads find yourselves in a lab with pre-dentist majors, call NOT IT on being lab partners. they don't understand pipetting or aeseptic technique. i sat at the wrong table one semester, we were plating agar with bacteria and you heat the wire loop in the burner to sterilize it. the TA had made a point to say that you need to let the hoop cool so that you don't burn the media/kill the bacteria. so one of my lab partners flames the hoop, BLOWS ON IT TO COOL IT DOWN, and reaches for the bacteria. he didn't understand why i made him sterilize the hoop again.
    ^hahahaha i have had similar experiences with MDs

and you in high school is not my responsibility as the biosafety person in my lab. so we cool. mostly ;)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    HAHAHA. So we have this passcode-protected external hard drive for backing up data. I went to put some stuff on it today and noticed that the SAME PERSON i was bitching about yesterday left a note in the box, with the drive, that contained the passcode to the drive, clearly labeled as such.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010

really wanted coffee and was too lazy to go down stairs to get a spoon so i could measure it... so i used conical tubes instead. they make a great storage container as well.