Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbird
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

Science and whiskey this weekend anyone anyone?
    yeah, let's get crunk.
    I'm not around unfortunately but that sounds awesome.

I am allllmost (kinda) done being oriented at the Whitehead. So. much. orientation.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I've actually got a conflicting science and tequila shindig with my lab mates. Next weekend? Can there be powerpoints and charts about why we should be drinking more and not looking at powerpoints and charts?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Anyone got any suggestions for plate-sealing film? I need it for PCR and nobody I work with has any ideas.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

I''ve always had better luck with the aluminum plate sealing films (eg biorad microseal 'f' film) than the plastic ones when sealing by hand.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    thanks! i'll look into those! My big concern is sample evaporation, fwiw. I guess I don't know what other concerns there would be...i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

Do you have a heated plate sealer? If not (I'm assuming not from your post) I agree with the above comment about the aluminum plate sealing films. I've used the alu films for PCR plates and stored them at -80 with no worries. Also, they sell rollers that you can use to get a good seal but I've used a credit card and that always worked just fine.
    psh use cap-strips you lazy asses.

a credit card does fine, just make sure you really work it around the corners especially.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

caps strips with the fancy tool. it saves your thumbs a world of pain.
    yeah, I laughed at that tool...until I didn't.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    so these harvard medical books we keep getting won't quit with the nipple irregularity, and since these are actually charming compared to the nonstop birth defects we had to stare at, i figured i'd throw this up.

Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    yo, whaddup umbilical cords?

Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Have any of the fellow computer geeks on here worked with near-dupe image detection? If so, I will buy you beers in return for brain pickings.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Thinking about this because I'm listening to them in lab right now: Artichoke is one of my favorite bands, in part because they are all about concept albums (swoon) two of which are about scientists. Check that shit out.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    started my day at 8am with 2.5 hours of mouse necropsies back at my old lab. mmm, guts.

in unrelated news, i'm really hungry.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010

what is a good biology textbook (for a layman--me)?
    ^are you sure you want a textbook? is there a specific area you're interested in?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Science!We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

FUCKING MAGNETS.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010

i'm hungry and being a whiny baby about writing this paper, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. starting with materials and methods. no original thought needed.
    ^yes! M&M first, always! Then results 'cause it doesn't require that much thought either. Intro last.

Today i blacked out in lab meeting, i think. Like, i completely missed a couple slides but i'm 98% sure i was not asleep.

(i was not drunk or anything)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited

what i hate the most is that there's only a certain number of ways to write up a protocol. and for me it's always like, "okay, at what point is this actually plagiarism?"

also, i get brain freeze all the time. had the same problem in school. would suddenly realize that i hadn't listened to the past ~15 minutes of lecture. never took notes until it was 100% necessary (in orgo) 'cause of it.
    I'm not sure plagiarism is the hugest deal in materials and methods for that reason- there's only so many ways to state the same protocol, and unless you developed a new method, you're not really claiming any originality there anyway. Not saying plagiarism is okay of course, but i think there's a lot more leeway in terms of what is and isn't.

I took extremely detailed notes in my physics classes, because it was the only way i had a chance of staying awake.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010

I live with some Jugalos. That's a science experiment right thereThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

Basso:I live with some Jugalos. That's a science experiment right there

I am pretty sure the ethics board is going to shut this experiment down for inhumane testing on animals.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso

who's being inhumane, the Jugalos or me?

Bazziiinnngggg!!!There's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

i meant the fact that you have to live with them...good lord chew off your hand or whatever you have to do and get the fuck out of there!this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso

haha its not that bad...nothing a good set of headphones doesn't solve on most occasions. People who have never fully experienced Jugalos need to. I never even know where to begin to describe them, ICP isn't enough anymore. I think I'd actually like going to Gathering of the Jugalos even if its just for the drugs and sightseeing.

not my roomates, but a lovable bunch indeedThere's always money in The Banana Stand
    Can I be a scientist?
    I study economics, and while we can't predict anything, we can sure try and justify everything with econometrics.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    ^^i would hang out with them. 3rd from the left looked suspiciously like joyefresh on first glance.

Today one of my labmates found a paper that is very relevant to my project and potentially answers a big question we had about some strange results. Turns out one of the authors was a bridesmaid in my wedding.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:3rd from the left looked suspiciously like joyefresh on first glance.

i'm still actually not sure that it isn't joeyfresh.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010

Do any of you science people work in the areas of conservation/natural resources? Or anything even remotely related?

If so, we need to talk.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

^i tried, i didn't study enough soil in undergrad. :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^^the last like 4 jobs I had were involved in this...do you have like a specific science related question or just a general need to talk to earthy people?this wont hurt a bit...
    • CommentAuthorgc

no, i need a real job that is what is up.gone
    So I just ran this big fat gel (5x8ish) and it didn't even need to WORK, I didn't need to get bands in all the lanes, it just needed to get like 60-70% so that it accurately represented the "usual" yield so I could compare it to another gel to compare methods. Of course it worked almost perfectly, but it didn't matter, because I tripped over a chair someone had left in the middle of the lab bay and splattered it on the floor. The only reason I know it worked was because I was able to get a few chunks into the gel box.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

^noooooooooooooooooo! nightmare.
    ^^welcome to science.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010

mynameisSHAH:
    surprisefries:3rd from the left looked suspiciously like joyefresh on first glance.

i'm still actually not sure that it isn't joeyfresh.

I'm pretty convinced that's me too.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010

Medicines for Neglected Diseases Workshop
    10-11 September 2010
    Boston University

http://www.mindthehealthgap.org/events/2010/mend/

Lauren, I'm going to try to attend the 8am-9:45am block of talks on Saturday. If you decide to go, let me know and I'll bring my NTD folder for you.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i won't be going to the talks, although it looks interesting. i am regularly around the busm campus, though, during normal working hours if you're ever around here anymore.

also, over the past two weeks we've been extracting dna from mouthwash samples. ten year old spit pellets that have been hanging out in our freezer this whole time. as the project whose samples they are comes up with new studies, they send us lists of frozen bluish blech to extract. this batch had 16 plates worth of samples. in other words, 1,536 individual vials of other people's mouth funk. the crud in there gets caught in 1250 ul pipet tips, clogs up the filter membrane, and generally grosses me out. based on my observations, it appears that when you are asked to send in a spit sample, you are not allowed to brush your teeth anytime around when you will generate the sample and are encouraged to eat lettuce immediately before. thankfully, the last batch is finishing up today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Your science is disgusting.

Yes, I'm around a lot these days since I started an MS program to get me into environmental health science. T-F, it looks like. I'm down for lunch any time.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad

biology sucks. know what i did in lab today? learned how to make mac n cheese. food/sensory affective science ftw
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i been readin a biography of darwin. how come yall didn't tell me ol' 'nop was a ape?

srsly--good book. vol. 1 of janet browne's bio of darwin.

haha!
    I'm back on the BUMC campus as well. Almost all day Monday, but only after 5PM on Tuesday and Wednesday. BUMC lunch and hangtimes on Monday? Afternoon tea/coffee on a Tues or Wed?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ^^heresy!

^^^half a stick is absolutely right. yummmmmmm.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I have science saturdays with my friends. we use science wrong in my back yard and drink.

cant talk about what experiments happened but iron oxide was involved in one...another involved dry ice and alcohol...another with gas and styrofoam...
    welding weapons...burning magnesium...

fully aware of how immature and dangerous it is but it is way more fun than i thought.

thinking about building a still and making just straight ethanol mixed to 40% with mill water... mizz'n'll mewn shyne
    ^a chem teacher i once had in high school set off a thermite reaction that melted through his apparatus and into the floor. he was awesome.

also,
    bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010

i would be down for lunch on monday.