Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

lemondparty, that kind of shit was pretty much college for me. right on, brotha. you could probably distill up to 80% or so? with lab-grade columns you can get around 95%. just make sure you boil off all the methanol if you're doing it from scratch.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    If you know what you're doing, you can get into the 90s with just distillation. It is, however, much cheaper and safer just to go get you some grain alcohol from the nearest party state (Rhode Island, I think). As far as home experiments go I personally like the scratched pennys + draino = H2 gas, H2 + balloon + match = loud explosion with short-lived fireball.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    but it's fun!

i've only ever done it in the lab though. tastes like burning.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    i enjoy this one. it's usually really loudsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    does computer science count as science? if so then i do science.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010

I like to count it as science. But in sandals and socks instead of labcoats.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    if i'm programming medical software does that mean i can say i'm doing medical science? or does it not stretch that far
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010 edited

^Well, there could be some comp.sci. involved. . . and I suppose real scientists may take issue, but as an engineer, I say fuck'em.

Today, well, over the past week really. . . which involved a long weekend with the problem lurking in the back of my mind, I wrote a cool algorithm for peak finding in sparse 3D arrays having peaks of arbitrary amplitude, frequency, and phase. . . and it's computationally efficient! Finally, after chasing down some pesky bugs due to an index mis-match. . . the resulting interpolated and extrapolated model is statistically defensible!!! Fuck yeah science!

A year ago it would have taken over a month for me to come up with this.

- Robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

blitzgreeg:if i'm programming medical software does that mean i can say i'm doing medical science? or does it not stretch that far

haha, weeeeeeeeeeeeak

Most comp geeks I know have jobs that are inherently experimental.
    Computer science totally counts.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    WET LAB OR GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder

^Careful or I'll bombard your cat with 200 MeV protons.[all your base are belong to us]
    I WILL GIVE YOU CANCER.

And then i will, like, take some of your cancer and grow it in dishes and give it drugs and do western blots on it and shit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan

medical software devs will just create race conditions that give you 100x the radiation dose you should be getting to cure your cancer, leading to your horrible demise.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    bwahahahahahaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Biology kids have more sex than computer kids.
    This is a fact that I read on the internet somewhere.
    Discuss.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^Yeah, but only because you have Karl to thank 'fer that. Also, I am not a computer kid.[all your base are belong to us]
    define computer kid?
    do you spend more time on a computer than at a lab bench?

computer kid.

it's just 'cause we have easy access to social lubricants like pure alcohol and ether.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    joeyfresh, MPH:Biology kids have more sex than computer kids.
    Discuss.

My research of late has been...inconclusive.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^ increase sample size?
    no thxi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Heh.[all your base are belong to us]
    well thats not very scientific then.
    joeyfresh, MPH:Biology kids have more sex than computer kids.
    Discuss.

My best guess would be because Biology is the most common science for women to study (although I believe it is not 50/50 yet). Computer Science is probably the least common science for women to study. Also, have you ever smelled a male computer science major?
    • CommentAuthorblitzgreeg

i dont smell! though several of the people i graduated with did... i shower daily, and know of this stuff called deodorant. lol
    my college was about 70/30 M/F, the biology department was more like 70/30 F/M.

unfortunately that definitely isn't true the higher you go. but it's getting better, slowly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3492919.stm
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

blitzgreeg:i dont smell! though several of the people i graduated with did... i shower daily, and know of this stuff called deodorant. lol

I am sure there is scientific proof that women smell nicer then men

^ in general thats probably true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010 edited

Belief In Climate Change Hinges On Worldview:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124008307&sc=fb&cc=fpWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010

joeyfresh, MPH:Belief In Climate Change Hinges On Worldview:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124008307&sc=fb&cc=fp

Hyperlink that shit man; hate cutting and pasting. ;)unstuck in time
    hah nobody does that anymore.

if you're using the latest firefox beta, you can highlight the text, right-click and one of the options is open link/in new tab. pretty cool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    chrome has had that functionality since like....foreverbowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    true story, i am trying chrome for the first time today (like, in a little while)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Just a reminder that there is no such (or rarely such) thing as an easy, unproblematic fix: Plants take up drugs, antibacterials from biosolids used as fertilizers.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

p.s.- ARE WE HAPPY, WEST?
    ;)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

joeyfresh, MPH:p.s.- ARE WE HAPPY, WEST?
    ;)

Oh...my...you have no idea.unstuck in time
    I'M PLAYING WITH SODIUM HYDROXIDE, WATER, AND ALUMINUM! SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT NOT TO DO BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

disclaimer: i've already mixed everything.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    and my god dry ice is coldsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I think there should be a position in science where you just hunt down people who write shitty protocols and punch them in the face. Cause trying to locate MISSPELLED PRIMERS in a 3-page sequence is kinda like punching yourself in the face.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^+1[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

for the ladies

orginal site

No more pipetting late at night...you can thank me later.this wont hurt a bit...
    ^A friend from MIT is working on this really cool "Lab In A Box" product to cheaply automate that sort of thing. I think it's sweet.[all your base are belong to us]
    Maybe cheeply is the key word there but I'm under the impression that companies like ChemSpeed will make robotic platforms for just about any application. They've got tandem reactor/analytic platforms with the option of purging the whole system with dry argon, which would basically make my work day about 2 hours long.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    http://www.geeked.info/large-gauge-ear-piercings-hearing-aid/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

two of my favorite science songs... bio-rad does it right.

PCR, when you need to find out who the daddy is

GTCA
    Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    EXPLAIN THAT SCIENCEMuch like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.