Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

to me it seems like he had his own head shoved so far up his ass it came out the frontsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    thiiis may be a little close to home for me, haha
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010

Dear Science Nerds,

This is a must-read article on ecology, education, and the successful reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone Park.

The Big Bad Wolf Makes Good: The Yellowstone Success Story and Those Who Want to Kill It
    "While organizing campaigns to make polluters accountable, I learned that citizens generally won’t take them on until they grasp that the deepest link they have to their environment is their own bloodstreams. Once they understand the pathways from a smokestack or a poisoned watershed to the tumors growing in their children’s bodies, they can become a powerful force. But first they have to know what’s at stake. In this regard, ecological literacy is not a side issue. It’s a prerequisite for survival. The articulation of reality is more primal than any strategy or policy. If greed is turning the Earth into a scorched planet of slums, ignorance is its enabler."

Love,
    joeyfreshWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

Not sure where to file this and didn't want to create a new thread.

For those with sleep apnea or those who wonder if they have it, there is a discussion board with some pretty knowledgeable people on it. They also have clinician's manuals that will tell you how to reach the hidden settings to change your titration level if you need to.

www.apneaboard.comWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010

dude's studying hydrocarbons, is serious business
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

yesterday my boss came in to look at our cells. we had told her that we fed them last friday and have been leaving them alone since, and that they definitely wouldn't need to be fed again until this friday. she asked to look at them and we walk over to the incubators. she hasn't been feeling well, and right before she opened the incubator she coughed into her right hand. then she opened it up and picked up a flask of my cells to look at. with her right hand. that had no glove on. that she had just coughed into.

aseptic technique is a joke around here. i just keep imagining the reaction the lab tech who trained me in cell culture would have to my boss. it's frustrating because we're not expected to do our best, just to do things pretty well, and it drives me nuts. i'm the newest one here so i feel uncomfortable pointing out when one of the other techs is doing things that could maybe contaminate her cells. things don't usually go wrong so no one sees the need to correct little mistakes, they just go on making them. i know i'm here for the free classes, not the lab experience, but it sure is making it harder to get out of bed and go to work in the morning. :/ damn you, science.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

Take heart. Science has not failed you; human frailty has.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    that kid kinda looks like you, Sean. A little bit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Found the beersci powerpoint from my final project in the techniques class I took in college: clickyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010

well TWO of my yeasts died
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010

^ Fuck yes.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

I set up my second rotation today. Gonna be doing optogenetics next semester. First picture that pops up under Google image search:

THAT'S HOW AWESOME IT IS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

RAINBOWS! CYBORGS!
    A Science article about how cats drink.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ^ha ha, I posted that in the kitty thread instead!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Tooootally breezed over that, and actually hesitated for a good 2 minutes deciding what thread it should go in.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I think this means that instead of a scientist, I should be a kitty.

Shit.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited

Its science about who drinks four loko (and joose for comparison).

Note A: Searching is highest in states that have already banned Four Loko.
    Note B: Vermont REALLY Likes to drink Four Loko.
    Note C: Montana has NO IDEA what Four Loko is.

Four Loko had about 100 searches in Nov
    Joose had about 4
    In whatever ratio google indexes it.

sourceEPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited

VectoredZev:Its science about who drinks four loko (and joose for comparison).

Note A: Searching is highest in states that have already banned Four Loko.
    Note B: Vermont REALLY Likes to drink Four Loko.
    Note C: Montana has NO IDEA what Four Loko is.

Four Loko had about 100 searches in Nov
    Joose had about 4
    In whatever ratio google indexes it.

Zev.
    a) not science.
    b) it's not science about who performs a google search on the term "four loko" and says zero about consumption.
    c) do you understand science?
    d) how about cause and effect?
    e) correlation might be asking way too much.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010

i don't think i've ever seen 4loko in vermont.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

^^you are correct sir. I have actually always had a problem with people who use "google searches" as a statistic. I generally search for something 3 times when trying to find it.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

VectoredZev:^^you are correct sir. I have actually always had a problem with people who use "google searches" as a statistic. I generally search for something 3 times when trying to find it.

What are you saying I'm correct about?
    Understanding your replies here sometimes is like trying to look through a cloud.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I get to read and talk about science and science based policy all day every day now, and you know what it is as fun as I hoped it would be! I love my new job, but for serious this global warming thing seems like a major downer, i think we should all start riding our bikes people...this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^what's yer jerb?
    AUH SHIT! Life discovered (on Earth) that uses ARSENIC instead of Phosphorus as a building block? GFAJ-1 FTWMuch like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    ^+193729562634509362835. COOLclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ^^ oh, the backlash.

other opinions via teh blogs here , and here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010

^yup- i thought it was cool from the reporting, but then i read the paper, and the evidence they present is less than convincing. I'd like much better evidence that the arsenic is actually being functionally incorporated than they present. In particular, it should be easy to determine if there's a substantial replacement of phosphate by arsenic amount in the dna by just checking the density.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010

This article is pretty awesome! The woman who knows no fear

I can't imagine what it's like to be fearless. Damn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010

i read that and my thoughts were like this:

Awesome
    Oh wait fear keeps me from getting into trouble
    that sucks for her

Its like those people who feel no pain, at first your like "awesome" then your like, ohh they can't tell when they are on fire...I can only hope that she could have someone with her who does understand when to run away from shit and tell her when not to fuck with the rabid dog...etc.

Thanks for the link.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

make me a bike out of this.
    People on glass bicycles...i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011

Arguments from climate change skeptics and what the science really says...

This is a great site, with responses to 140+ arguments against climate change and beginner, intermediate, and advanced explanations(!). How cool is that?

Sadly, I had to go find this site after visiting home and seeing some of my crazy relatives again.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I am going to a "brown bag" tomorrow on how to talk to climate skeptics, I will let you know what I learn. I am pretty sure the best way to talk to them is to run away in the opposite direction when they start talking.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Running away won't work for me. I refuse to show that much of my vulnerable back to anyone who mistrusts the scientific community that much.
    I look forward to the update.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks

And
    not a terrible nicki minajDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    he could have avoided killing him if he just read his damn text bubble!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    HEY YOU GUYS IT'S FRIDAY WOOHOO
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

^magazine clip made me lawl.
    im in awesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    This is what happens when broken old lab equipment gets left in my room.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

dopeWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

Just discovered this thread...Awesome"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

i apparently don't have access to the full pdf, but:A Bicycle Can Be Self-Stable Without Gyroscopic or Caster Effects.
    whoa. i was just wondering about this yesterday while stuck behind a really slow person.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy