Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

wiggle stereoscopy is funbowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthorlmaligaya
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

Heres the article for the stable bike without gyro and caster:
    http://www.scienceblogs.de/geograffitico/StableBicyclev34Revised.pdf
    just stumbled across this:

A San Diego beach scene drawn with an eight color palette of bacterial colonies expressing fluorescent proteins derived from GFP and the red-fluorescent coral protein dsRed. The colors include BFP, mTFP1, Emerald, Citrine, mOrange, mApple, mCherry and mGrape. Artwork by Nathan Shaner, photography by Paul Steinbach, created in the lab of Roger Tsien in 2006.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    would prefer tedious to boringi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    the video i posted in TIL is reallllllllllly cool.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/exhaust-ing-ride-for-cyclistsWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Stereograms, and how to make them.

It's a schooner!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

i have never once been able to see the image in those damn things. i'm so glad that fad died quickly.
    awww. FWIW the dude in the article said it took him 6 monthsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

brain fail.
    I came in this morning to find the Western blot I set up yesterday to go overnight (wet, 20V, 4*C) had some how completely dried up in the inner chamber and the gels and membranes and pads are fried. Project meeting on Wednesday is gonna be awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Does anyone have a favorite online question-asking forum that includes molecular biology? I have now replaced every single reagent, tried a different nanodrop in a different lab, wiped down my bench and pipetters with RNAse-AWAY and used two different centrifuges, and I am still having this problem.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011

so how bout them scientists saying time travel is impossible bc photons cant travel faster than the speed of light

http://gawker.com/5824259/time-travels-not-possible-say-scientists

the comments r so nerdy!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited

tinyhonkshus:Does anyone have a favorite online question-asking forum that includes molecular biology? I have now replaced every single reagent, tried a different nanodrop in a different lab, wiped down my bench and pipetters with RNAse-AWAY and used two different centrifuges, and I am still having this problem.

when i used to spend inordinate amounts of time in labs i always found that drinking (more) whiskey helped.
    it wasn't a bio lab though.gone
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

tinyhonkshus:Does anyone have a favorite online question-asking forum that includes molecular biology? I have now replaced every single reagent, tried a different nanodrop in a different lab, wiped down my bench and pipetters with RNAse-AWAY and used two different centrifuges, and I am still having this problem.

try /r/chemistry or /r/biology ?not another pitcher!
    I HAVE FINALLY COME UP WITH A GOOD THEORY! MY BUFFER IS TOO COLD!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    MY BUFFER WAS TOO COLD!

+ problem solved
    - my boss thinks someone else solved it for me, because I was talking to her when I realized iti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011 edited

my cousin just started college and was going in for dermatology, and organic chem has officially freaked her out. she took all AP classes as a sr in high school and did real well there while also swimming yr round. now she's on a half scholarship i believe to juniata in PA. and she's also on the swim team there too.
    being that her dad is the one that died a year ago i'm playing that role more often than not and so i was hoping maybe some of you could help me out by sharing some experiences/advice in the college sciences track that i could relay to her.

many thanks, i may x-post this in the DQ thread.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    The biggest thing that i had to learn that helped me the most is DON'T HESITATE TO ASK FOR HELP. Take advantage of office hours and tutors. Not only will it really help, it will show the prof/TAs/etc. that she is serious about doing well.

Other than that, bend over and use plenty of lube. Maybe that was just my experience.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    And start studying for exams at least 3 days before, get all the problem sets she can find and do them. If she can get her hands on old exams for the class, that'll give a big clue as to what will be expected of her. Ask upperclassmen, my dorm had an old exam file going back like 15 years for most of the classes.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011

orgo terrifies people b/c you CAN'T cram for it and just doing rote memorization doesn't work. you have to understand the mechanism behind the reaction, where the electrons are going and all of that. tell her to make flashcards to study on the bus on the way to meets, plan ahead, study in advance, and try to figure out WHY it's happening, don't try to memorize it. once you understand it, you know it. and orgo just builds on itself. it's like algebra. once you actually understand the basic concepts everything else is just one little piece more and it ends up being pretty easy.
    ^That is very true.

It's all about the SN2 backside attack LULZ.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    plus, everyone does badly in orgo. except for lauren, apparently.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I did decently 1st semester and okay 2nd semester. Not, like, real good or anything. But much better than I did in P-chem, or E&M.

Is she taking o-chem lab too? 'Cause o-chem lab is fun.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

yall should just do computer science...its all about the fifo, or the lifo, or the bubble sort, or like object oriented stuff.

Also you shouldn't do computer science, because...ask anyone who did computer science.

I am torn.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

stilgar:yall should just do computer science...its all about the fifo, or the lifo, or the bubble sort, or like object oriented stuff.

Also you shouldn't do computer science, because...ask anyone who did computer science.

I am torn.

Sup with that? I know so many well-employed computer scientists, can't think of one that was ever unemployed long-term. None of them seem to like their jobs."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

^I think its because there are like a billion CS jobs, that pay the bills, etc. And like 100 that are super rewarding and fun and exciting...

I really do love computers, and programing, and data theory, and language theory, and computer philosophy, but I had to give up on a computer job because it just didn't do it for me.this wont hurt a bit...
    SNOOZER.

Be a biologist! CS people make too much money! Money is for SUCKERS!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited

best part about organic chemistry is making soap tyler durden style.
    and fractional distillations with lab equipment that looks like it should be a part of some mad scientist's bong.

don't stress, every organic chemistry class has a gigantic curve- i think the class i took a 60 got curved to like a B or so.gone
    Don't forget distilling alcohol, isolating pure caffeine (though I didn't trust mine enough to ingest it), and huffing ether.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I always wanted to huff ether!this wont hurt a bit...
    It's fun, once you get past the smell. Just make sure you're in a safe-ish place since obviously it's highly flammable, and because of the strong odor EVERYONE around will know what you're up to. Really the hardest part is getting it, unless you're in an O-chem lab.

ETA: Unless you're actually in the lab at the time, then it will smell like ether anyway, so it's party time.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan

unfortunately, computer science isnt just 'fifo, or the lifo, or the bubble sort, or like object oriented stuff.'

A lot of the time its dealing with people who don't understand the basic concepts upon which your profession is built. And that is what makes life hard.

People are fucking dumb.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    sounds like someone needs a good gayrolling
    • CommentAuthormauspad

Take notes. Even if she's never taken notes before. If she has, take more notes. Make SURE she knows by like the second class how to push arrows, that's what fucked me over. You absolutely cannot slack off and then catch up later in orgo.

If all else fails, what I did was withdraw and take it elsewhere over the summer, then transfer the credit(s). Made me feel much better and less stressed to be able to focus ONLY on orgo for two months. Was also kind of hell, but it's going to be hellish no matter what. After a while, though, it gets to be kinda fun-- All the problems are like a really science-y version of sudoku.

Also, Harvard had giant coolers of ether hooked up with a spigot. Like gatorade coolers. But ether. Also, how do you tell if something is ether, ethanol or water without smelling it? Spill some on your glove!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

tristan:unfortunately, computer science isnt just 'fifo, or the lifo, or the bubble sort, or like object oriented stuff.'

A lot of the time its dealing with people who don't understand the basic concepts upon which your profession is built. And that is what makes life hard.

People are fucking dumb.

Is there a job for a guy that somewhat understands computers but has people skills and endless patience, who would serve as a mediator between code monkeys and the uninformed, moronic masses?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorObo

Wicked:
    tristan:unfortunately, computer science isnt just 'fifo, or the lifo, or the bubble sort, or like object oriented stuff.'

People are fucking dumb.

Is there a job for a guy that somewhat understands computers but has people skills and endless patience, who would serve as a mediator between code monkeys and the uninformed, moronic masses?

Wicked, yes, there is, so long as Tristan can yell at you when necessary ;)

(I used to work with sadtristan)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    youre all beautiful, thank you so much for the advice, ill pass it along. minus the ether stuff ;]
    ill let her figure that out on her own lolsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Wicked:

People are fucking dumb.

Is there a job for a guy that somewhat understands computers but has people skills and endless patience, who would serve as a mediator between code monkeys and the uninformed, moronic masses?

so, you're a people person?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Lauren is spot on with the reason that people are afraid of Organic Chemistry. Especially if you aren't a chem major. It operates unlike any other chemistry class. memorization helps, but it's mostly developing the understanding of how reactions work and to do that you have to write them out. You study inorganic, physical, and biochem, but you have to practice organic. Most of the major points have been hit already: take a fuck-ton of good notes and use them, talk to the TFs and Profs, don't try to cram, make flashcards (I still use these in my big-boy Chemistry pursuits) and drill through them. The one thing I will add that really helped me is try to find a small group of people in your class that you can routinely study with. Pick smart ones and ones that are easy to get along with. Nothing helps you to fully learn mechanisms and reagents more than being able to teach them to someone else. When I lived with another Chemistry major, we stole a chalkboard from in front of a bar, put it up in our basement and got together for one hour twice a week with 2 or 3 other people to review reactions. It helped way more than staring at the text or reading wikipedia. Welp, writing this post just made me late to lab, but I'll count this as "working from home".

Also, remember that there are two kinds of ether: diethyl ether (the anesthetic) and petroleum ether (the Hunter S. Thompson stuff)You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Good point, all my comments were about diethyl ether. Don't fuck with petroleum ether.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    thanks paul, you're awesomesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011

So... apparently we've gotten neutrinos to travel faster than the speed of light. Well, they don't know for sure and it might be due to errors in equipment but as far as they can tell, some neutrinos they fired from CERN arrived significantly (ie outside of the error limit) faster than photons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

If this is actually corroborated... WTF. Goodbye law of relativity? Or...something.unstuck in time
    THAT'S CRAZY.

i hope they're right. New physics!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN GENOME-WIDE ANYTHING AND I AM SICK OF PEOPLE THROWING AROUND THE WORD "MICROARRAY" LIKE IT'S A GODDAMN MAGIC BULLET
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

You've got it right. Goodbye law of relativity and goodbye old assumptions about the possibility of time travel. I'll drink to that.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^For real, girlfriend. I am also entirely fucking sick of everyone adding "-ome" and "-omics" to the end of fucking EVERYTHING.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D