Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

Not really sure how useful this thing could be, but I guess it's neat that they're producing it?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20006677-54.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit, which can be attached to any bicycle, powers up from the pedaling motion of the bike's rider. A dynamo--the electricity generator--is powered by the front bicycle wheel as a rider pedals and transfers electricity to a charger attached to the handlebar, which a phone plugs into.

"To begin charging, a cyclist needs to travel around six kilometers per hour (four miles per hour), and while charging times will vary depending on battery model, a 10-minute journey at 10 kilometers per hour (six miles per hour) produces around 28 minutes of talk time or 37 hours of standby time. The faster you ride, the more battery life you generate," Nokia said in a statement.

The charger can be used to power any Nokia phone with a 2mm power jack, according to Nokia.

The kit comes with two small brackets, in addition to the charger and generator. One bracket attaches to the bicycle's handlebars to secure the charger and a cell phone holder. The other secures the small electric generator to the bike's fork.

The world's largest maker of cell phones said in a statement that its new product will provide "free and environmentally friendly electricity for mobile phones" and will likely be welcomed in areas of the world where bicycles are a transportation staple.

Priced at about $18, the charging kit is set to be available from Nokia online and Nokia phone retailers by year's end.

While its certainly newsworthy that Nokia is offering a bicycle charger, it follows others. In 2007, Motorola demonstrated a bike-powered charger at the Consumer Electronics Show. In September, Dahon unveiled the $99 Biologic FreeCharge for charging small electronic gadgets by connecting to any existing dynamo hub on a bike.

Nokia's announcement came in conjunction with the release of the Nokia C2, a cell phone capable of holding and operating two SIM cards at once to allow for separate phone numbers to be used from one device simultaneously. The dual-SIM C2 allows the user to not only switch between SIM cards, but even swap one SIM card for another, while the phone is on and working.
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Great, now people are going to be mounting their iPhones to their stem? While this may be nice for maps and whatnot, some of our more socially networked members might get into trouble.Fuck yeah.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

just saw an iphone mount in international the other day, looked pretty good.

i think it would be really handy for navigational purposes, i use my droid a lot in "navigation mode" to give me turn by turn directions in my ear if im ever heading beyond city limits, would be nice to have a visual i could glance at occasionally.

but yea, i also agree it could be dangerous in the wrong hands, kinda like the steering wheel mount for the ipad...RIDE METAL
    i'd like it for a tour with a gps.
    i wonder how efficient the charging is if you have to keep stopping for traffic.

at least it's another excuse to run red lights?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Whatever happened to getting lost?[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited

It ended 5/23.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

^Agreed. I know the city much better after finding myself in a completely unknown area. I also enjoy getting lost on purpose.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited

i have a dahon iphone bike mount. it works pretty well, and it's not attached to the bike via zip ties.
    cdrebbel:Great, now people are going to be mounting their iPhones to their stem? While this may be nice for maps and whatnot, some of our more socially networked members might get into trouble.

I have an iPhone mount and it's pretty great. It's nice when I play the left/right game and need to get home. Not having to fiddle with holding the phone is nice. A lot safer than me following the GPS while it's in my hand.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^word. plus, there's that new mapquest free voice gps app. sickk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

A lot of dynamo hubs are 6V which can actually power just about any USB device. A much more expensive option for sure but less failure prone i think.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

^3~6 Watts (depending on the hub) output where voltage has an inverse relationship to current draw. Also, AC output, the frequency of which is a function of wheel rotation. I've designed a few circuits for dynamo hubs and would caution that it's difficult to get the sort of 'clean' DC power you'd want for charging USB devices. It can be done though.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

are there any magnet systems out there?
    ^I've only seen them for LED flashers.[all your base are belong to us]