Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormargoat
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited

Report: The Return of the Bicycle

Glad to see increasing popularity of bicycles...

"Ripon College in Wisconsin and the University of New England in Maine have gone even further. Rather than build new automobile infrastructure, they find it cheaper to give each incoming freshman a bike if they agree to leave their cars at home. Replacing cars with bikes on campus is reducing air pollution and traffic congestion while creating a sense of community."

I wish my university gave me a bike for not having a car :(
    i like bikes way more than cars or trains...
    but i would rather take the fung wah to new york.
    sadly, bikes can't always be my choice.
    :(

teat.
    • CommentAuthormargoat
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010

Tassel = chin teat?
    the article:Nearly 75 percent of U.S. police departments serving populations of 50,000 or more now have routine patrols by bicycle. Officers on bikes are more productive in cities partly because they are more mobile and can reach the scene of an accident or crime more quickly and more quietly than officers in cars. They typically make 50 percent more arrests per day than officers in squad cars. Fiscally, the cost of operating a bicycle is trivial compared with that of a police car.

Daaaaaaamni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I would prefer to ride to nyc than take the fung wah.
    The backroads of ct beat 84 any day.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

mrotown:I would prefer to ride to nyc than take the fung wah.
    The backroads of ct beat 84 any day.

That. For sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^And that from a guy who did it in one crazy grueling day. Everybody, learn a lesson from this fella.

Also, that article ruled!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjim kelly
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

very cool
    tinyhonkshus:
    the article:Nearly 75 percent of U.S. police departments serving populations of 50,000 or more now have routine patrols by bicycle. Officers on bikes are more productive in cities partly because they are more mobile and can reach the scene of an accident or crime more quickly and more quietly than officers in cars. They typically make 50 percent more arrests per day than officers in squad cars. Fiscally, the cost of operating a bicycle is trivial compared with that of a police car.

Daaaaaaamn

i couldn't find an adequate picture, so i'm just going to spell it out p a c i f i c b l u e.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    I LOVED THAT SHOW!!!

also i think i saw you yesterday? bike is like, black and red?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Shah has a doppelganger. The doppelganger has a black bike and a green tinyhat. Shah has a blue and red bike, and usually a black tinyhat, though I feel like I've seen tan.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^ i have three black(one with white stripe that i wear most often), a tan with black stripe, a colorful geekhouse, and a pink one that i got for my girlfriend to match her bike that she refuses to wear that i'm prolly going to start wearing soon because i don't like spending money on hats that don't get warn. it's likely that you've only seen white stripe black and tan as those are my most common.

^^i also didn't leave my house yesterday. but if you do see me ever, holla atcha boy!joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    i'm sure this has been posted before but worth it to post again
    CORBSDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornonprophet
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

notha day, notha dolla, ey donnigan?
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

tinyhonkshus:

Daaaaaaamn

this has got to be bullshit

second hand knowledge from someone at a shop who worked on cop bikes said they're lucky a stiff breeze doesn't break them apart. I think bike cops are just a way to make them exercise plus make more money than regular po's. It's an incentive to make them try to lose some weight. They're riding sub-glorified hybrids fer chrissakes

Not gonna give them harsh but if you get in trouble with a bike cop I'm pretty sure you have to be trying rather hard.
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

Nice article! i would like to prefer to use bicycle for my communicating. Its save our time and money.
    first hand knowledge: i've seen some bikes from police departments. either they're POS smith and wesson police bikes, or brand names (Trek/Marin/etc) with Columbus tubing, lockout air forks, and every single other fucking option at the top of the line for a hardtail. like everywhere else, there are a lot of slowpokes, and then there a few people who are genuinely a lot more competent to a slightly scary degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016 edited

This same thing was trending on the Rochester group yesterday, when someone (traveling in Boston, unsurprisingly enough) saw a low-end cop bike locked with a pair of handcuffs and people started ruminating on how easy it would be for someone clip that little chain, and how quickly they'd get busted.

When I was talking to the BPD detective who was investigating the BigRing case, he showed me the cop bike corral in their HQ. Full of bikes of VASTLY different pedigrees. I assume that when you become a bike cop, you get to either pick one that's lying around, or order a new one. I suspect that those who are really into it are not limited by budget, so they pick really nice stuff, others don't care and will take whatever, and some continue to ride the same bike that they've been riding for 20 years.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016

Locked with handcuffs? Handcuff keys are universal and are like a buck a piece. Hell, I carry one on my key ring.
    The department I work for has shitty bikes for the cops. The bikes for the paramedics are even worse. One of the cops brings his own pretty sweet bike in if he's on bike duty. He's super into biking and one of his many sweet bikes.