Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The sauce is good.
    ETA: Juice. whatever. it's good.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

today's key chris takeaway - "what's that? what's an emo?"That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2020

I went to the website of this company called bbinfinite to look at bottom brackets, and within a day got ads from that company on FB. How do they have access to people’s cookies anyway? Guess I should start using the tor browser?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2020

...is this the first time that's happened to you? that's a nonstop fact of life! some browsers have a sort of "facebook quarantine" thing that keeps facebook from getting its tendrils into everything, but then in the end you turn it off because, oh, it's so handy to just be logged in to other things via fb or whatever...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    yeah

I started using the Brave browser (switching from firefox) and it seems to happen less? I also started using DuckDuckGo out of curiosity and man sometimes I really miss the benefits of Google's shadiness.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i took a picture of a dropper post that came with a bike i bought, ive never once googled the brand or anything. almost a year ago... im still getting instagram ads for it. that made me extremely suspicious. the brand was if you abbreviated pacific north west
    • CommentAuthorryan t

^Thanks I should check those out.

It’s happened before, but I guess I was just surprised to see a random bottom bracket company that you wouldn’t think has a huge advertising budget pop up on FB complete with a video.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

to be fair, PNW ads are all over my fb feed and I don't think I've searched it or anything, they're probably just paying for anyone who is in any kind of a bicycle category. If you "like" enough bicycle-tagged things they can target you. Tbh bike ads beats car or military ads that I report as inappropriate because I don't want to see that shit. I'm never going to buy a dropper post, but show me as many nice dirt road photos as y'all want"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Yes, though also many ads are served through third party companies that use their own tracking cookies. So when you click on a product on one website, that site sends a piece of data to the ad serving company that then follows you to the next site you visit that uses the same ad server. Clearing cookies should theoretically help with this, but they're also pulling data from social media profiles and other browsing behaviors to create a broad-strokes profile of you that they can still target ads to. At least that's how I understand it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2020

Does anyone else's cats have this uncanny ability to get you up almost precisely at feeding time? My cats will calculate it so they claw at a noisy surface juuuust long enough for me to wake up and see wtf their problem is so I check the time and I'm usually genuinely shocked at how accurate they are"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ha! If you feed them a little less or more the night before, does that affect it? I feel like a lot of animals are more sensitive to day cycles than we are, or have trained ourselves to be. Ours used to wait right outside our bedroom door every morning then follow me down to the kitchen, but they haven't been recently.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

anecdotally, i think that's common!

TINSHIFA ohio's planning to try opening up 5/1. my sweet sweet sailor moon masks won't be here for ages after that! but we'll get to plant corn this year probs...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    yeahhhhhh i was a little confused by that 'cause it seemed like yer gov was doing a good job but now it seems like he's letting the pressure get to him?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i guess? i had read yesterday that we were joining the midwest coalition of states trying to coordinate this shit, but then read today that he hasn't actually agreed to that, we're just gonna go our own very very stupid way. frig. worse if we plant our gardens/crops and then have to shut down again cuz the dying has picked back up!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

rip ohio. Imagine being one of these dumbasses sitting in fabricated traffic demanding to go die to make your boss rich rather than demanding enough pay to stay home during the emergency or protesting any of the fucked up things happening now instead."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

shouting about "the economy" as if the economy has ever done anything but fuck them overThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2020 edited

DeWine was on NPR this morning defending Trump's "liberate [state]" tweets, so i guess he's back to standard republican

friggin finally got a lil webcam, so the chick livestream's back up https://youtu.be/S7-2LiaTS1o they're twice as big nowThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2020

^Whoa, how are you doing the music part too?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    AWWWW

I edited your post to make it a hyperlink, mod power!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    TINSHIFA MiniFries kind of has a phone now- so many of his friends and relatives are on fb messenger kids (that is another TINSHIFA entirely), I signed him up to stay in touch- but couldn't deal with that shit on my phone. So I gave him my old phone which doesn't have an actual phone/data connection, just wifi.

I think he's way too young to have a phone (just turned 8) but several of his friends have full-on smartphones already (supposedly locked down with parent-approval security measures or whatever).

OTOH it is kinda fun to text him (I'm at work right now waiting for media to warm up so I can feed my cells).DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2020 edited

neat, I think that sounds reasonable for an 8 yo

TINSHIFA my habit of not keeping my mouth shut when I'm bored on the internet lmao. You know those instagram feeds that spam photos of their shitty small bikes so it comes up a bunch in the look at new things tab? Well they usually make me physically ill because I'm a judgmental asshole and I kept seeing the same shitty cinelli so I commented something mild like "holy pedal overlap" and now this guy's all "YOU'RE 5'0 AND DON'T EVEN RIDE FIXED" (both wrong). But like, look at this shit. How is that even legal to sell (image from google because I didn't want to bother screen shotting and uploading):

I've ridden one of those an acquaintance had - it's absolute trash to ride. It has a 72.5 ht angle (76 st!!) while the larger sizes have 74.5-75 ht. I wish I could shut the fuck up, but I wish more these companies would stop pulling this shit

eta: dude deleted it, but apparently didn't block me so their spam is probably going to keep showing up in my feed :( Do you think these people are like "wow, this thing is hard to ride, it must be the real deal #imsocoolforbrandloyalty""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

nerdo:^Whoa, how are you doing the music part too?

downloaded some royalty free music from bensound.com, it's playing on a loop on my work laptop, where OBS is...magically combining it with the video and making it a format youtube will accept?

kids with devices is definitely a mixed feelings sorta thing! but not going to go get less common i don't think...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

TINSHFA also, got this chickie livestream on 1/3 of my screen while 'attending' a wedding on zoom
    bad friend?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2020

Ahhh, OBS is magic. I haven't been using it for my livestreams since Zoom can simulcast to FB Live.

^Bad friend to people = good friend to chickens = good friend to people (who like to eat eggs and chickens). You're doing ok by my book!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

It'd be one thing if the bike looked good, but that just looks like trash to me. That head tube angle makes my eyes hurt. I think you should start a thread of beautiful tiny bikes, please and thank you.

Nandy:neat, I think that sounds reasonable for an 8 yo

TINSHIFA my habit of not keeping my mouth shut when I'm bored on the internet lmao. You know those instagram feeds that spam photos of their shitty small bikes so it comes up a bunch in the look at new things tab? Well they usually make me physically ill because I'm a judgmental asshole and I kept seeing the same shitty cinelli so I commented something mild like "holy pedal overlap" and now this guy's all "YOU'RE 5'0 AND DON'T EVEN RIDE FIXED" (both wrong). But like, look at this shit. How is that even legal to sell (image from google because I didn't want to bother screen shotting and uploading):

I've ridden one of those an acquaintance had - it's absolute trash to ride. It has a 72.5 ht angle (76 st!!) while the larger sizes have 74.5-75 ht. I wish I could shut the fuck up, but I wish more these companies would stop pulling this shit

eta: dude deleted it, but apparently didn't block me so their spam is probably going to keep showing up in my feed :( Do you think these people are like "wow, this thing is hard to ride, it must be the real deal #imsocoolforbrandloyalty"
    Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    that looks like actual crank overlap?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

RIGHT? I'm so sick of seeing pictures of this ugly-ass and dangerous bike. Not dangerous as in "whoa brand name so cool watch me be a dick to pedestrians in this video for internet cred" but as in "does the consumer protection agency know about this? They probably should". The fucking lengths they'll go to avoid buying different wheel and fork sizes for like half their customer base"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

nerdo:It'd be one thing if the bike looked good, but that just looks like trash to me. That head tube angle makes my eyes hurt. I think you should start a thread of beautiful tiny bikes, please and thank you.

Maybe I'll start an instagram for it because putting photos that aren't already on the internet here is such a pain in the ass! I'll just copy the hashtag list from these cinelli people so maybe they'll see my bikes lmao"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    nerdo:Ahhh, OBS is magic. I haven't been using it for my livestreams since Zoom can simulcast to FB Live.

^Bad friend to people = good friend to chickens = good friend to people (who like to eat eggs and chickens). You're doing ok by my book!

haha

Some of that music sounds so familiar...I think they play it at the Lego Discovery Center in Assembly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

surprisefries:
    Some of that music sounds so familiar...I think they play it at the Lego Discovery Center in Assembly.

the day i was downloading it and listening to it, i was at the same time on hold with TSC for like 20 minutes, so had these two competing muzaks...it was somehow A Lot
    but hey, can't go wrong with free i guess!

got the birds some sticks (as roosts) yesterday to try to get them to stop sleeping on their food container, since chickens poop a lot while they sleep. enjoying watching some of them ifigure it out, other ones still look like they faceplanted hard when they sleepThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

“Don’t shit where you eat my friend.”- Ween

Nandy:RIGHT? I'm so sick of seeing pictures of this ugly-ass and dangerous bike. Not dangerous as in "whoa brand name so cool watch me be a dick to pedestrians in this video for internet cred" but as in "does the consumer protection agency know about this? They probably should". The fucking lengths they'll go to avoid buying different wheel and fork sizes for like half their customer base

Add brakeless to the danger factor of that bike. I was curious to see if they were even drilled, so I went to the Cinelli site, and they had some that looked like they were drilled, then filled with something, and then painted over like it might be a removable plug. It’s not a bad idea, but a little strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

if youre using obs, you should look into slobs

stream labs open broadcast software
    AW THEY'RE SLEEPIN'DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020 edited

surprisefries:AW THEY'RE SLEEPIN'
    yay good babies<3 i get stressed watching them juuuust start to fall asleep and then jerk back up as someone else wanders by!

bleh looks like the camera got moved when chris fed them this morning. (also, is he going in at like 6am? foul. farmers!) i'll get it lined back up better this afternoon...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020

kossmonaut:if youre using obs, you should look into slobs

stream labs open broadcast software

Ooh, thanks for the rec. Now do you have any recommendations for open source video editing software for a PC?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020

i used the windows video editor until i got bootleg adobe software sry
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020

I've heard good things about DaVinci Resolve, which is a freemium model but probably functional enough to do what I need to do.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2020

yesterday morning i had visual migraine aura shit bad enough i was going to be a hazard driving to work. ate a handful of chocolate chips, immediately cleared up. just now i had aggressive hiccups for 20 minutes, started drinking some soda, gone. kinda feel like i'm being scammed by myself for junk food??That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

better make some youtube videos about how you found cures for everything!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^haha yes!

I think I really messed up my microbiome or something in my youth bc sometimes it seems like the worse I eat the better I feel.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

"chocolate is the cure!" does seem like an easy sell message reallyThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Lol, it depends on who's paying you to say it.

I remember having a terrible headache and going out for drinks with friends anyway. First sip of beer cured the headache. Maybe there's something about blood sugar levels?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

that's def part of it for me - when i was working at my mom's, i often got the auras, and she leaves her house at 6am, doesn't have lunch (or even time for a snack) until 1, which suuuuper doesn't work for me. these days, by the time i've gotten to work and changed into my boots it's time for some grapes!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2020

I’m still not feeling great after 7 weeks, so I was actually thinking about getting Nicorette for the Coronavirus. A few people have told me that nicotine kills the virus, and I guess it makes sense because it does kill other microbes. The down side is that I would be getting myself addicted.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i think i'd try, like, vitamins before, as you say, getting yourself an addiction... also see if you can call a doctor and just talk through your symptoms because maybe it's something else, that is treatable?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Yeah, I definitely want to exhaust other options before getting hooked on nicotine. Being owned by chemical-laced gum isn’t what I need at the moment.
    I'm not sure chewing nicorette will get enough nicotine in your system to have any kind of antiviral effect, I haven't heard anything about nicotine and coronavirus either way though. Probably just staying hydrated, resting, and talking to a doctor is the best you can realistically do.

As for a sip of beer, alcohol definitely does cure everything :) It'd probably take a few minutes at least to get any sugar effect though. Blood glucose peaks about 20-30min after meals but it does go up pretty quickly.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2020

that is apparently a potential thing that's been looked at, though obviously the NIH stresses that it'd be a bad idea to start or continue smoking for a lot of reasons (I skimmed this and didn't see nicotine patches mentioned): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7192087/"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2020

wait yeah, section 6:
    "6.?Nicotine as a potential treatment for COVID-19
    Nicotine could act as a competitive agonist for the nAChRs that could restore the compromised function of the nicotinic cholinergic system. This may be feasible through repurposing already approved (for other indications) pharmaceutical nicotine products such as nicotine patches for use by non-smokers, or even by using these products as already indicated (i.e. as smoking substitutes) among current smokers. These products are available over-the-counter in most countries. They have been administered therapeutically in non-smokers for neurological conditions and inflammatory bowel disease for larger periods than would be needed for COVID-19 [[81], [82], [83]]. No abuse liability was observed in non-smokers despite being administerd for several weeks [82,83]. Besides gums and patches, nicotine can be administered though inhalation, with the use of a nebulizer or other aerosol systems, if necessary. Nicotine administration could be added on top of antiviral or other therapeutic options for COVID-19. By restoring and re-activating the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway, a more universal suppression of the cytokine storm could probably be achieved compared to administering inhibitors of a single cytokine.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    interesting! It's also cool that they didn't see people getting totally hooked on itDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D