Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2020

^So what you're saying is COVID19 is a secret plan by the tobacco industry to get everyone hooked on nicotine ;)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yeah finally Big Tobacco and Big Pharma are joining forces! If they don't get you with the vaccine, they'll get you with the treatment.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2020

That's some deep state shit right thereWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I don't know what thread to put this in really but today Mrs.Fries and i got the free-to-Somerville-residents COVID viral test. It was great except for the actual 30 seconds of swabbing which suuuuucked.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020

I'm really dreading THE SWAB :("life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020

There's a program in Seattle where they send you kits and collect them again after you self-swab. But I know for a fact I won't be as invasive on myself as doctors would be, so I doubt the efficacy of the test.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yeah, apparently the newer ones don't need to be swabbed as deeply (they didn't go all the way to my throat) but it's still way up there. One of my friends works at MGH and they tell the people giving the tests, if they don't choke, cough, or cry, you're doing it wrong. I cried, haha.

Might even be worse than a urethral swab.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2020

Y'all ever have those facebook friends you barely know from high school that you keep around because you're kind of just waiting for them to say something fucked up, and they unexpectedly start posting actually good shit about BLM even though they never left the 98% white town they grew up in? Kinda nice"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    i love it when good things actually happen on the internetDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2020

TIH seemed too strong a negative feeling for my disappointment that my second attempt to recreate bertucci's rolls is still just not there. when you take 'em out of the oven the feel/sound crusty, but then once they're cooled a bit they're just...not?? disappointing. but now i've got a lot of bread, which is hard to hate?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Are they steaming too much after you take them out? Are you not letting them cool enough before trying them? Losing the crust sounds like a steam issue to me.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i mean, the whole thing with the ones at the restaurant is eating them still hot, but these were already softer like 10 minutes after i pulled them out of the oven and moved them to a cooling rack. didn't cut or tear the outside...That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2020

I’m still looking for one of these Surly Fixxers, but apparently they are hot stuff now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193525246088

I can’t really justify paying that much when the retail price was probably a lot less. Ugh, why can’t Surly just start making them again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020

But why? If it's a geared bike just run gears? That looks like so much work"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2020

Oh yeah, back story... one of these will fit on my Zipp disc wheel, and it would be fun to go whip it around at the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020

holy fuck I just saw the most outrageously undertrained truck driver I've ever seen in my life. I was slowing down for a red at Cambridge/Gordon st in Allston when a FULL SIZE CAR-CARRIER TRIED TO PASS ME WITH RIGHT TURN SIGNALS ON. I was like wtf this guy can't be serious so I start to aim for the sidewalk AND HE KEEPS PULLING FORWARD THROUGH THE RED TO OVERTAKE ME. His windows are down so from the sidewalk now I'm asking him what the literal fuck he thinks he's doing here, do you realize how long this truck is, you could easily kill a less experienced cyclist pulling a stunt like this, and HE SAYS HE KNOWS AND JUST TURNS ANYWAY. Like maybe it doesn't sound as egregious as it was in the moment, but it was the most reckless and unprofessional driving I've ever seen in my life. I shot off an email to the volvo dealership he was going to just in case someone takes it as seriously as they should and lets the company know they need to retrain drivers before they're on the news for killing someone. It was like first day on the job never seen a city only drives a camry bullshit"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2020 edited

I think I’ve been alongside a car carrier, and they’re fucking terrifying, sorry. Yesterday I actually came within inches of a car on Highland Ave that all of a sudden decided to go into the bike lane in order to parallel park head first. I screamed out some profanities before realizing it was an elderly couple and gave them a wave (channeling rage).

So I’m trying to go home this summer and you’re really not supposed to go to VT unless your county is green, otherwise you should quarantine: https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel
    Middlesex county was on the way to being green, but then this week it went up by about 50 (cases/million), so now I probably have to push my trip forward into Aug, and hope it goes back down. The map on that site is actually a great general reference, and includes OH (Corinne).
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020

oh i already know about my county - we went to "level 3" by ohio standards last week, which is the worst any county in ohio actually is (some have stars, as 'almost level 4' but aren't 4 yet)
    levels 3 and 4 have mandatory mask wearing, no fucking idea why they don't just make everyone wear masks to try to avoid becoming level 3... oh right, cuz some people were "offended" by the idea

that seems to say you can quarantine at either end of the trip, so stock up on groceries now, don't go out for a week, and then don't leave your bedroom for a week on the other end?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020 edited

Coming back to Mass I guess I wouldn’t have to quarantine because VT is on the safe list:
    https://www.mass.gov/info-details/travel-information-related-to-covid-19
    I could go to VT after quarantining for a week, followed by a negative test result, but that would be such an inconvenience that I’d rather wait and see if cases go back down. My parents said that in order to do it right, I would literally have to not share the kitchen and common areas with my roommates for that time, which would suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020

^No bathroom for you!

This is all so out of control. Sigh.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yea

i just got tested (and am quarantining until tomorrow at least) bc I have a sore throat and debatable SOB. so we'll see. Heh, the guy asked if I'd been tested before and I said yeah, and he goes "Sorry, it's not gonna be any better this time." And it wasn't.

Andy that's fucking scary and does sound egregious. I always get annoyed at the Mercedes dealership alongside McGrath/Medford when they have car carriers park in the bike lane, even though they have a parking lot. If they moved the cars a truck could get in there. But it actually makes me mad that their Uber/etc pickup spot is the bike lane. When they have a fucking parking lot.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    update: negative! Some other weird illness, apparently.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020

congrats/feel better!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    thanks! finally getting there today, it was such a weird illness. yesterday i'd feel okay for a few hours, then get super tired over like 30 mins then crash and have to go lie down for an hour.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2020

yesterday i got an email promoting 'the anthology of emo vols 1 & 2' and went "haha i'm being profiled!" but, uh...sorta half considering it actually?
    frigThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha that happens to me a lot, the internet is so creepyDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I can't seem to find a single bike water bottle in my house. And it's hot. Am I actually going to have to buy some?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2020

Are you throwing out ones that smell bad? Use scalding hot water! But yeah, you never know what’s been selling out at LBSs these days, so might want call ahead. They also have Camelbak at Target last I checked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2020

oof I have so many old cheap water bottles that are fine but I only ever grab the nicer ones and can't bring myself to throw them out. Lmk if you're still looking and I could drop off a couple"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    i think most of them are in a box somewhere that i can't find, and the other ones i just lost :/

I'd never throw something away because it smelled bad, MrsFries would just be all by herself by now. No kids, cats or me.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^^if you do have ones you don't care about and want to get rid of, i'll def take them!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2020

whoops looks like we managed to get rid of most of them in the move and I have a lot less than I remembered. I think Allstonvelo still has a bunch, not sure about Somerville but I can check tomorrow"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha thanks! I'm not above buying bottles, it just seems kinda wrong since I've accumulated so many free ones that are now in the wind.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ugh the intersection of Medford and Somerville Ave (by the Target) is such a shit show now. They changed the light timing because of the backups on Somerville ave Eastbound due to the Union Sq construction, now Medford St gets backed up into Cambridge. Not really a big deal on a bike, except sometimes i think just waiting at that intersection takes as much time as the whole rest of my commute. And there are always cops there and I haven't had the guts to test 'em by running the light haha.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2020

hey at least you're not stuck in a car?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yesss!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    and also roads should not flood so often once all this work is doneDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2020

tbh I kind of loved when that road flooded because the raised sidewalk would be clear and I could get though while laughing at the cars that had to go around the long way."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha yeah...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime13 hours ago

Goodales (NH chain where I got my first road bike) apparently being bought by Trek in a few weeksThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTime12 hours ago edited

Wow 49 years according to the website... I only went to the Nashua location once and picked up some jells :) That sort of reminds me that this year the Longsjo Classic decided to call it quits after 60 years, because of declining registration. The only crit I could really handle was Wells Ave, so I never did Fitchburg, but I kind of wish I did. It definitely seems like road racing isn’t as popular as in ye olde days.

ETA: Just reading that the Longsjo Classic was the second oldest race in the US behind the Tour of Somerville in NJ, which is up to 76 editions.