Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015

I'm finding that Rochester, and Buffalo too I believe, is kind of like this, except for the bike lanes. There doesn't seem to be a greater percentage of roads with bike lanes here than in Boston (though I think a higher percentage of the admittedly small population bikes), but it doesn't matter, because the drivers aren't douchebags. I think that's really the key. Infrastructure has much less of an impact on the overall cycling experience than douchebaggery does.

I think part of it is because nobody is in a rush, and part of that is that there's never any traffic here so nobody ever feels like they need to be in a rush, so nobody's frustrated behind the wheel of a two ton weapon. But ultimately I think it's because there's a very Canadian-feeling culture of laid back friendliness. I'm not sure if this could ever happen in Boston.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited

tinyhonkshus:
    Nandy:and commuters aren't wearing lycra.

yeah! I hate it when people wear what they find comfortable and/or functional!

I totally understand it if they're commuting over 10 miles or go out for a road ride on the way in, but when new commuters think they have to completely suit up to fit in or whatever because they're told that bikes are for exercise only, I think that's a little silly. I am all for slow city bikes and people doing everyday things in everyday clothes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

^ This:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    So it's still not okay when I do it? Cool, good to know. I am pretty fucking sick of this argument - "I don't sweat that much, so clearly anyone who wears anything but street clothes on their commute must be ill-informed"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

NO, you're fine, I mean the prevailing cultural difference between most commuters in this country and most commuters in other places. You're clearly a very competent rider and know what works best for you. That's great! I just want to move to Amsterdam, and I wish some of that cycling culture could develop here."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ^ that feel when i biked in swimming shorts for a little while last year, then bought "cycle specific" knickers and they were made out of the same material as my swimming shortsgotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Alright, just leave that last part about lycra out. Lycra is great, and there's loads of reasons to wear it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I think the Dutch guy explains it best. It's not that there's anything wrong with wearing lycra. But it's the relatively small percentage of people NOT wearing lycra that's concerning to the Dutch guy. Cycling in the US is seen as a sport, or as something children do, and that translates to commuting. It is reflected in the types of clothing we wear, in the types of bikes we ride, and even in our helmet use -- because we REALLY ARE IN A RACE. It's a race to get out of the way of traffic.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Nandy:Alright, just leave that last part about lycra out. Lycra is great, and there's loads of reasons to wear it.

I like it. Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all... nothing at all....

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also, I feel like Americans are extra scared of sweating or being anything less that shower-fresh at all times (not that I'm questioning what makes individuals feel most comfortable! What ever you do is up to you). I've gotten to the point of only taking showers when I need to, which tends to be every 10 days or so (obviously more if the weather's gross)(judge away, internet). Maybe it's something your body adapts to, like if you shampoo your hair too much it gets gross way faster because that's what it's used to. I ride probably 200 miles a week sometimes, and can still be fairly presentable. Fwiw, Nat rides and showers as much, and he's a big hairy dude. Tldr, I think American cultural norms are less than perfect sometimes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Sorry if I'm being snippy, but smelling terrible all the time no matter what you do is sort of demoralizing.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Maybe I happen to only share airspace with really kind people who don't mind, or I've gotten so used to it I only start to smell after a week or so, but I think adapting to it could be part of it. There's probably some writing on it out there. Generally, I don't smell, but I also don't "exercise"."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

It's a lot different if your job requires a different level of standard for hygiene / presentability. As a messer, I was a sloppy nasty sweat-hog. Now, I'm missing the shower at my old office, where I could hose off the sweat or the road grime from my ride.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I know, but I do go to things outside of work (weekends, gatherings, vacations, etc.) and people can still be in the same room as me. Just trying to lightly suggest that maybe it's not always necessary to be over-concerned."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Let me put it this way: You know sometimes people say things like "I'm worried I smell, because nobody would ever tell you"? People have told me.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

oof.

Maybe a "sorry, not sorry I'm human" shirt? #nothelpful

In other TINSHIFA news, I saw a box truck with the words, "LOCATIONS THRU OUT THE AREA""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:I saw a box truck with the words, "LOCATIONS THRU OUT THE AREA"

*twitch*i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    haha

I wish I could get away with that infrequency of showering. If I drop below 2x/week (okay, 3) it starts to get pretty iffy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Ya'll crazy, being clean feels awesome.
    i can vouch for the whole no-shampoo concept. i think a clean taint is generally all i care about. the rest can be w/e. i've never been very smelly even at my worst- think it's genetic. I never understood how some people get to near-curry-esque levels of urea / sweat fragrance. unless intentionally, like printmaking majors.

so, all i really want are bidets / toilets with taint spraying action.gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I know it sounds bad, but I'm not like, disgusting (I think). If it's extra humid I'll shower everyday or whenever I need to. Maybe being in the wind helps. Maintaining proper temperature is key, too. I add and remove layers all day long this time of year."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Some people just don't stink. I've never understood how it's possible, but it's definitely true.

Trust me, you don't EVER want to be in my car with me, Sourman, Paul, and Alex after MTBing on the hottest day of the summer. Our manly scent could have scared off attacking bears.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

pocky:Infrastructure has much less of an impact on the overall cycling experience than douchebaggery does.

Yesssssss

pocky:Trust me, you don't EVER want to be in my car with me, Sourman, Paul, and Alex after MTBing on the hottest day of the summer. Our manly scent could have scared off attacking bears.

I am also one of these peopleI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

IDK, I get kinna stinky if I skip a shower for a day or two. Granted, I mostly wear jeans and a hoodie and tend to push myself so I sweat a lot. Before I was a messer, I got called out by my managers more than once for stinking. Even bringing a change of clothes didn't quite cut it. Now if I stink, I can just be like, "Hey I ride a bike all day, what do you expect?"
    tinyhonkshus:
    Nandy:and commuters aren't wearing lycra.

yeah! I hate it when people wear what they find comfortable and/or functional!
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

I just want to reiterate that that shower rate I mentioned is very cold weather dependent. I am completely repulsive today and it's weirding me out. Gonna need moar showers now."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    TINSHIFA I've been riding less because the big hill I live on makes me so cranky, and I think it has a tendency to hurt my back because 5 miles uphill + tired at end of day = poor form, climbing & general. I'm considering commuting on future-brompton and then taking the T up the last hill. It's fairly pathetic.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015

Do it, no shame in that. I'd just be too cheap to pay for the T."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Chronic pain issues are no joke. Do what you have to do!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

tinyhonkshus:TINSHIFA I've been riding less because the big hill I live on makes me so cranky, and I think it has a tendency to hurt my back because 5 miles uphill + tired at end of day = poor form, climbing & general. I'm considering commuting on future-brompton and then taking the T up the last hill. It's fairly pathetic.

Lake St?
    The good thing about Brighton is the many options. Try out a few different routes up the hill. It might be slightly lengthier but anything that doesn't make you think "ah fuck" ten seconds before getting home is nice.
    Which bars are making your back cranky?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

tinyhonkshus:TINSHIFA I've been riding less because the big hill I live on makes me so cranky, and I think it has a tendency to hurt my back because 5 miles uphill + tired at end of day = poor form, climbing & general. I'm considering commuting on future-brompton and then taking the T up the last hill. It's fairly pathetic.
    e-bikeeeeeee
    • CommentAuthorben

You know what really grinds my gears? Repeating the letters in a written word that aren't the sound you elongated when saying it.

"e-bickey"I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

E-biiiiiiiiiike"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

why are you assuming my pronunciation?
    ben:You know what really grinds my gears? Repeating the letters in a written word that aren't the sound you elongated when saying it.

"e-bickey"

are you the type of dude that sees a jackson pollock painting and says, "yea, whatever, i could splatter paint all over a canvas, too?"
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015

Yes.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    tyler:

Lake St?
    The good thing about Brighton is the many options. Try out a few different routes up the hill. It might be slightly lengthier but anything that doesn't make you think "ah fuck" ten seconds before getting home is nice.
    Which bars are making your back cranky?

Winship St. But it's really just all uphill from the BU bridge. The bars are inverted VO Bellvilles, but I don't think it's the bars, I think it's just my bad back.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2015

i always prefer taking cambridge st into brighton than climbing those hills on comm ave
    Well the problem is that I live at the top of the hill that starts at the top of Cambridge Sti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015

This delusional dumbass from elsewhere on the internet:

"Here's a challenge... we all know cars and pedestrians break the laws (running lights, not stopping at signs, jaywalking, etc.) and so in the vein of recent Boston Herald articles I challenge ALL cyclists to be ELITISTS. Be better than EVERYONE. Be THE best people on the road. I challenge you to obey EVERY SINGLE road law and be extra nice an polite to EVERYONE on the road.

After all, we ride to enjoy the day / view / physical activity / THE RIDE. So, enjoy it a bit more. Stop at the light. Smile and wave at people and other bikes. Yield to pedestrians in cross walks. Prove that cyclists are in fact the best people on the road and that the rules should, no NEED to be modified to protect us. Why? Because we've earned it. We should make it our mission to be better than cars (as if we aren't already) and SHUT DOWN every person who says bikes don't obey the laws.

Can you do it? I will. With or without you. I will pledge to be a better cyclists. Cops writing cyclists tickets will in fact be waisting their time. Drivers complaining will be ignored as crazies. Judges hearing cases of cyclist deaths will assume that the bike was obeying the laws, because that's what cyclists do. This could be a BIG game changer. Can we do it? Is it worth it to you?"

I mean, that's cool if you personally choose to follow car rules, but seriously, this guy's ego. Wow. This post (particularly the last paragraph) has been bothering me since yesterday, there's just so much wrong with it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015

Respectability politics ughWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2015

I love Elmo, and I love the Surgeon General, but I fear this could be counter-productive. It will be seen by the anti-vaccine idiots as an attempt to indoctrinate our children.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^I liked the Broccoli part.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Nandy:This delusional dumbass from elsewhere on the internet:

"Here's a challenge... we all know cars and pedestrians break the laws (running lights, not stopping at signs, jaywalking, etc.) and so in the vein of recent Boston Herald articles I challenge ALL cyclists to be ELITISTS. Be better than EVERYONE. Be THE best people on the road. I challenge you to obey EVERY SINGLE road law and be extra nice an polite to EVERYONE on the road.

After all, we ride to enjoy the day / view / physical activity / THE RIDE. So, enjoy it a bit more. Stop at the light. Smile and wave at people and other bikes. Yield to pedestrians in cross walks. Prove that cyclists are in fact the best people on the road and that the rules should, no NEED to be modified to protect us. Why? Because we've earned it. We should make it our mission to be better than cars (as if we aren't already) and SHUT DOWN every person who says bikes don't obey the laws.

Can you do it? I will. With or without you. I will pledge to be a better cyclists. Cops writing cyclists tickets will in fact be waisting their time. Drivers complaining will be ignored as crazies. Judges hearing cases of cyclist deaths will assume that the bike was obeying the laws, because that's what cyclists do. This could be a BIG game changer. Can we do it? Is it worth it to you?"

I mean, that's cool if you personally choose to follow car rules, but seriously, this guy's ego. Wow. This post (particularly the last paragraph) has been bothering me since yesterday, there's just so much wrong with it.

I do sort of think we should do that, because it would really piss people off. As in, drivers (read: me) are secretly relieved when you run the light because then they're not "stuck" behind you as you wobble-start. And they HAAAAAAAATE it when you yield to pedestrians because it means they have to. And lets not forget when you stop at a red and they want to make a right-on-red but they can't. I mean, granted, we'd all probably be murdered before they went "hey, they're following the rules and I'm still mad, maybe it was never about that...I should examine my values", but hey.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

I do all those things, especially when I know it'll bother drivers, but I'm not delusional enough to think judges will "assume that the bike was obeying the laws, because that's what cyclists do"."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015 edited

Like the part that seems to be against laws being "modified to protect us". As in vulnerable road user and 3+ foot passing laws?
    I also purposely break car laws when it's safe to reinforce the common sense idea that bikes aren't cars and shouldn't be restricted in the same way.

This guy sounds like a bike-hating driver trolling a group with a number of semi-respectable middle class white people, trying to make cycling as impracticable as possible."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oh def, nobody would tell the judges that we'd been obeying the law! And yes, I sort of missed the part where he opposite-day implies that right now we don't deserve protections.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Nandy:This delusional dumbass from elsewhere on the internet

Where exactly on the Internet? I'm kind of curious to see the other posts and/or comments in context now.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Bike Party FB group. A member was warning people about Cambridge cops being ticket-y dbags to cyclists."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015

Personally, I really enjoyed this sentence.
    Nandy: Cops writing cyclists tickets will in fact be waisting their time.

We are the small axe.