Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015

all sounds good, thanks=)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015 edited

^^How do you handle GPS battery drain?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthortristan

I've been really impressed with gps-drawn battery life on the iPhone 6. Strava pulls about 3-5% per hour its on, I've found, and the other mapping apps are just on momentarily.

In other words, I don't really worry about it.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

a_lion:And, I'll check the radio stuff out pocky, thanks! (haha no exams within 100 miles, of course. we drive 3 hours to get to just about everything from here)

Talk to the local hunters. They probably all have radios.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015

woo here's my follow up - went out yesterday in the hills and confused some cows and by the end wasn't terrified of every stupid pebble, and went out today in the red desert which was mostly easy and nice until it was suddenly just deep loose sand, but i did finally find a wild horse (which is why i was out there in the first place), so... good day. definitely nice to have options other than highway, which is all you get for pavement around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015 edited

I rolled the Slow Roll with Andy tonight.
    Head count/high-five giver guy announced 1,410 when he high-fived me as we rolled past him.
    One thousand, four hundred and ten people. On bicycles. Going very slowly. And this happens every Monday.
     photo 20150831_192444_zpsh85gid8i.jpg  photo 20150831_192456_zpswgolqc4s.jpg  photo 20150831_202429_zpsupsyxzap.jpg::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

It was great hanging out with you, now I need to come out to Rochester!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015

a_lion:My first month here, 3 of us drove to a town 3 hours away to get watch batteries changed. The girl who had been here longest had 4 dead watches she'd saved up for just such an outing.

wut

have no fear tho, blm & fs roads are extremely well marked, ime.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015 edited

gc:
    a_lion:My first month here, 3 of us drove to a town 3 hours away to get watch batteries changed. The girl who had been here longest had 4 dead watches she'd saved up for just such an outing.

wut

have no fear tho, blm & fs roads are extremely well marked, ime.

photo 20150831_202429_zpsupsyxzap.jpg
    so you had this (2 miles past where they said it'd be) and no other signs along the like 15 miles with hella forks into infinite cow fields...
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015

http://www.thesolidtyre.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015

We've talked about these before. Good luck ever changing a spoke nipple. Aerospokes only.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015 edited

The very first thing that comes up in a search for "pocky public" (I was looking for stuff in my old MIT home directory) is that the Watertown Free Public Library right near my old place is doing a "Make Your Own Pocky" day on September 30th! And I'm actually going to be in town that day!

But I'm too old for the grade 6-12 cutoff. :(::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015

^Bullshit, show up anyway! Tell them your name is pocky and you're not leaving without any!

Turns out I've been walking around for at least a few days with a staple sticking through my shoe, just enough that I'd only feel it sometimes. Good thing foot skin is so thick so there isn't much damage. It's just weird.

On a related note, I don't think this city has street sweepers. Picked loads of glass out of a tire this morning."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015 edited

The state of the gun violence conversation in this country is sad. Just had a fb argument with an old friend who's a little sheltered and probably just watches the news who thinks that any effort to reduce mass shootings is political (as in the NRAs policies are centrist and apolitical) and the solution is people just learning to value life. Examples of other countries (except "everyone in Switzerland totally has guns and there's zero regulations and no one ever dies!) are irrelevant because that's another place! Can't work here. Then was all "I knew this would turn into a gun control thing and I'm an unbiased independent so any notion of controlling weapons is off the table. I'm only reading the Onion from now on!" so I sent over "no way to prevent this says only nation where this regularly happens" and "man always carries gun in case he needs to escalate situation. This is why we can't have nice things (like expressing a desire to live in a country without an alarmingly high gun death rate). If only all these people would realize that they should be kind! It must be all those people with depression. That's got to be the difference between us and people in other rich countries who don't get killed in classrooms regularly. Wtf."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015

It's pretty amazing to me that people actually think the cause is something other than easy access to firearms.

We don't have the highest suicide rates (so it's not purely wanting to die), we don't have the highest murder rates (so it's not a more homicidal population). We do have the highest rates of mental health issues, which may very well contribute to mass killings. But what we also have is an incredibly easy way for people to carry out those mass killings via firearms. (It's a lot harder to kill a lot of people when you don't have a gun.)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015 edited

Man, now I feel kind of bad. Some people can't handle even slight discussion about their uninformed beliefs and just break down. Turned into "I don't go to the east side [where you live] because I'm scared of [of the gun violence I always hear about], but my white parents in the suburbs have guns so any mention of addressing all these mass shootings or gun violence is bad because I think gun control is the government marching into law abiding citizens houses and confiscating guns, and I'm being attacked in this conversation by you even talking about the problem"

Oof, people who never left town or even their parent's house."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    TINSHIFA - Someone with a nicer looking surly (looked like a discs, Brooks saddle and an ortlib micro saddle bag -I think - was in a rush) parked outside the Med school. They had left their helmet hanging on their bars. With their 360 vis light on it. Helmet was not secure in any way. I took it inside and gave it to Security, as I know I'd be bummed if mine was got stolen. I'm assuming it wasn't intentionally left there, but still. I feel like I keep seeing more and more folks leaving nice bikes haphazardly locked, or expensive accessories left on bikes in high traffic/theft areas. I've had lights stolen here off of my bike - from cheapo knogs to nicer cateyes. I just don't get it. But yeah, still not sure if I should have just left it. Oh well.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015

unsecured helmet + unsecured L&M light doesn't seem like something you'd intentionally do. Hopefully the owner thought to check with security before assuming it was stolen though...I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015

TINSHIFA the new jerk at work.

(sean if you're reading this on your first day you're doing well)
    JimmyJ:TINSHIFA the new jerk at work.

HAHAclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2015 edited

JimmyJ:TINSHIFA the new jerk at work.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa now.

sup dood. so far so good!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2015 edited

yo eric what building do you work in? I have a question for the security desk....
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015

TINSHIFA I very nearly passed out this morning after a pretty minor kitchen accident (I got like a 2mm deep cut in my palm from an extra waxy tomato). It's a good thing Nat's awesome at that level headed medical stuff because I'd be totally helpless and useless.

Also was talking to my neighbor yesterday and apparently there was a car "accident" on our road we missed where some speeding dumbass flipped their car and wrecked a bunch of neighbor's cars parked on the street, so he's commuting like 45 minutes on one of those walmart 32" coaster brake cruisers (or 2 hours on a bmx). Some of the worst offenders are the cops who speed the wrong way down this road, so they clearly dgaf about reckless driving around here. Totally going to build like 3' tall garden boxes in our yard to catch these drivers because our house has been hit before."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Beware of building obstacles that might actually end up becoming a ramp for speeding SUVs. My first landlady in Boston had put cinder blocks on the corner to prevent cars from accidentally driving up into the yard, but there was one bad accident on our street that actually launched an SUV off those blocks and into our front porch. Pretty badass in hindsight.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015 edited

oof, yeah that's why I was thinking 3ft boxes. We have one big tree but it's probably take a few decades to get more. A Target nearby has these every 5ft:
    Overkill?

edit: actually I guess this is more familiar: "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

^ Are those the red spheres from the Target in Watertown? My old 'hood...::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015

i have seen multiple people lately saying that spaying/neutering your pet is cruel. is that a thing now?
    People: the worsti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben

Well, Donald Turnip is the Republican front runner for the Presidency, so stupider things have happened.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015 edited

Apparently this is indeed a thing.
    I immediately call shenanigans on this entire article, given that this author declares 'There is no overpopulation problem. Hasn't been since the turn of the century. Shelters actually import strays from offshore in order to sell them to unsuspecting families. There's a $billion business in trucking dogs across country to supply the shelter demand generated by the "feel good" marketing that cleverly promotes "adoption" and "saving an animal." '

I'm guessing that the author is a breeder trying to protect their own self-interest by discouraging people from adopting. In my book that makes them an awful human being. Seems much more likely than the alternative that anyone could be so incredibly ignorant as to actually believe that the shelter "business" is actually profitable, that abandoned and surrendered dogs aren't coming in all the time, that the shelters have enough beds for them, or that kill shelters aren't euthanizing them all the freaking time.

That being said, canine vasectomy and tubal ligation does seem preferable to and less invasive than spay/neuter. If I'd known that was an option, I'd have gone for it. IMHO, anyone who's worried about their ability to train a dog with the full complement of male/female hormones flowing is not going to be cut out to be able to train any dog and probably shouldn't own one in the first place.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

iiiinteresting. but yeah definitely a bit crazy.

if you 'just' do a vasectomy/tubal ligation, isn't going into heat still going to be a nightmare time for the females who can't mate, and smelling those females gonna be torture to the males?
    I...am into my dog not bleeding on the furniture. My imaginary future dog. sigh
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Yeah, and having your furniture smell like period is not fun either. But that's what heat diapers are for.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

oh i know those exist. i worked at a pet supply store (no pets!) for a few summers in college, and someone tried to return a set of used ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

That's an even better Secret Satan gift than used bib shorts!::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    sorry guys, I mailed em back

TINSHIFA: I have a job lead that looks promising, but it's not proceeding through regular job application steps and I really want it but I'm not sure if it's like, mine to lose, or if there are like 30 people at the same stage I am.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I actually kinda stiff-armed another cyclist today on my way to Longwood- starting up from Mass and Beacon she was sitting on overlapping my wheel, then there was a truck in the bike lane so checked to make sure she wasn't still overlapping, then signaled, and then started to move left and all of the sudden she's roadie-passing* me and I was all aaahhhh what the fuuuuckkk. I guess it was more of a hard tap on the shoulder than a stiff-arm but it got me the space I needed.

*suddenly passing at pace within a foot of my handlebars, without warningDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015

Good story. Goddammit some people are inconsiderate+dangerous fuckwads.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I still feel kinda bad though, it was a bit of an overreaction but super shitty on her part, soooooo......DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Don't feels bad! "Don't bike directly into someone's path" is like rule #1 - Feel happy nobody got hurt!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015

surprisefries:I actually kinda stiff-armed another cyclist today on my way to Longwood- starting up from Mass and Beacon she was sitting on overlapping my wheel, then there was a truck in the bike lane so checked to make sure she wasn't still overlapping, then signaled, and then started to move left and all of the sudden she's roadie-passing* me and I was all aaahhhh what the fuuuuckkk. I guess it was more of a hard tap on the shoulder than a stiff-arm but it got me the space I needed.

*suddenly passing at pace within a foot of my handlebars, without warning

Haha more like 3 inches of handlebars for a roadie pass. I went to a race clinic where we practiced riding with our shoulders touching to simulate a peloton.
    Ha yeah I remember the first time I did the marathon ride, just cruising along and suddenly *fwoom!* 3-4 roadies fly by less than a foot away.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015 edited

So all the kitties have been hanging out for a little over a week now and it had been going fine. The new ones were all "okay, this is wise elder Kitty's house, I'll just keep my space and not bother her much" but all of a sudden today the new kitties have been all "wait maybe old Kitty isn't as fierce as she looks, imma start attacking her sometimes but not consistently because we're huge assholes and a decade younger" *see pic for reference of Kitty's fierceness

So Kitty's got her own suite tonight while I research how to help the situation. Has anyone had a similar thing or have any advice?

The "introducing" part went fine but now it seems like the bonded pair has figured out they have much more energy and assertive personalities than the others and think they own the place now and are being jerks to the shy kitties. Why can't they just cuddle in one big puddle? :c Looks like the internet says to keep them separated and restart the introduction process, but it's not like there's tons of friction every time - they'll just go for her sometimes.

Bfixed: come for the bikes, stay for constant updates about some loser-who-moved-away's cats."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2015

^ This is always the best part of Bfixed.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Nandy I asked my DVM sister about this at thanksgiving and she had a couple of basic pointers:

-Set up one more litter box than you have cats, and distribute them around the house for privacy (she said this was the most important but the one no one wants to try)
    -at first give established kitties the lock-up into a smaller part of the house while new kitty explores, but make sure smells can get under the door
    -switch environments after a few days and let the established kitties re-enter their larger space now that it smells like new cat.
    -test drive having everyone share the whole house and if it gets scrappy, go back into space-rotation.

that was basically it, go slowly.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015 edited

Thanks! Things seem to be going a little better, for the most part. I think the new kitties are figuring out old Kitty isn't up for play times, but they're doing fine with the other 2 year old. The litter boxes used to be in fairly close proximity upstairs, but since Kitty pissed all over the bed downstairs I moved one to that area of the house. Her territory now seems to be either our room or the guest room, Terry has the bike room, and the new kitties hang out in the living room (which Kitty kept having to pass through to get to the boxes before I moved one). I also put food and water in both sections of the house. Sadly we're pretty low on doors. The only rooms that have them are pretty busted and the new kitties are strong/interested enough to force them open unless we block then like when they first got home.

For anyone keeping up on the NandyProblems, my aunt heard I was sewing curtains and bought me a cheap machine, even though I was almost done and didn't want one. I figured out how it works and got really into getting actual supplies and started making a bunch of napkins, but after a few I'm realizing this thing is a piece of garbage, like worse than the worst no name internet single speed of sewing machines. But now I'm too invested in this hobby and want a real machine :c

Life is hard."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    We have a Singer Esteem II which I like, and I don't think it's too expensive for a sewing machine, but still over $100.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yeah, I think you'll be able to find a non-crap one that you can afford - I bet estate sales are swimming in emi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2015

Nandy:Bfixed: come for the bikes, stay for constant updates about some loser-who-moved-away's cats.

YOU ARE WONDERFUL ANDY AND I AM SO GLAD YOU DIDNT LEAVE US ONLINE EVEN THOUGH YOU LEFT IRL PLEASE STAY WE NEED YOU AND YOUR CATS REAL TALKWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

THANK YOU JOEY YOU ARE MORE WONDERFUL THOUGH I MISS BOSTON SO DAMN MUCH THANKS FOR NOT REVOKING MY BFIXED MEMBERSHIP FOR LEAVING Y'ALL ARE THE BEST.

HERE'S A GOOFY KITTY FACE:

For real though, come visit. You'd love these cuddly little weirdos. If people start giving me money dollars to ride bikes again I'll subsidize your plane ticket."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Awesome pic. A+
    I will come visit as soon as I get the chance. It would be nice to take a little vacation to see how y'all are living.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks