Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015

I drive to Boston often enough that you can hitch a ride with me some time. You'll have to figure out how to get back though. Greyhound and Amtrak are cheaper than planes.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015

Jet blue gets stupid cheap in the winter and takes 1/10th as long as the train, because america sucks and makes no sense."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015

TINSHIFA cousins who are similar in age addressing the holiday card they sent me "Mr. & Mrs. Nat". I get that's an old person thing, but it's a little unsettling for young people to continue it, right? Especially since I don't think they've ever met Nat. Just do "The [family name]s" or some shit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Yeah that's super weird to me.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Nandy:TINSHIFA cousins who are similar in age addressing the holiday card they sent me "Mr. & Mrs. Nat". I get that's an old person thing, but it's a little unsettling for young people to continue it, right? Especially since I don't think they've ever met Nat. Just do "The [family name]s" or some shit.

Maybe they have an old book on manners and addresses. I have one somewhere that gives that instructionNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorgc

if you changed your name it's totally reasonable.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015 edited

He also changed his name though and they got that part right. But I guess since they didn't know him before they wouldn't have known that. Still weird."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

some canadian history magazine contacted me last week to use pictures we have of big nose george (the guy that was turned into shoes) in a story his magazine is publishing about big nose george, who, they said, is from prince edward island. we have no conclusive record of where he was from, so asked for details, and the guy from canada is actually flat nose george curry. i let him know this today, and he was just like "oh, k, got pictures of that one?" and, yes, i do, but... surely this is going to majorly fuck up your article? that it's about entirely the wrong-nosed george??
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Wait, there were two "X Nose George Y"'s in Wyoming, and only one of them was turned into shoes? Damn that's confusing. Maybe he's going to completely rewrite the article now to be about the right-nosed George?

I await your forthcoming tale of Flat Nose George Curry's crazy story.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

there were actually 3 Big Nose Georges in roughly that time period, for some reason, including Olly "Big Nose George" Deetz - what about Olly makes you think BNG I can't imagine. That in itself causes a lot of historical articles with pictures of the wrong guy.

I...will have to actually look up Flat Nose tomorrow, all I currently know is that I have a photo of him, dead, and he was ugly and had smudges all over his face.
    a_lion:and he was just like "oh, k, got pictures of that one?" and, yes, i do, but...

this made me lol for days for some reasoni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    a_lion:there were actually 3 Big Nose Georges in roughly that time period, for some reason, including Olly "Big Nose George" Deetz - what about Olly makes you think BNG I can't imagine. That in itself causes a lot of historical articles with pictures of the wrong guy.

I...will have to actually look up Flat Nose tomorrow, all I currently know is that I have a photo of him, dead, and he was ugly and had smudges all over his face.

I'm going to need more info about all of this. It sounds amazing.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2015 edited

Ollie “Big Nose George” Deetz 1850-1889 – Became marshal of Manhattan, Colorado in 1887. Manhattan was a mining camp, with a “lawless element” that continuously robbed and assaulted the local miners nearly every time they came into town to shop or check their mail, leading the ‘good’ miners to move away, and increasingly worse and worse people to move into town, devastating local businesses. He was selected due to his willingness to work on commission, and given a mandate to ‘clean up’ that lawless element. He went right to it, killing three men his first night on the job, collecting $100 bounty each, and continuing to “clean up” the town of its seedier characters over the next months, shooting or hanging pretty much whoever he wanted to continue collecting bounties, planting evidence/false identifications to justify his kills, and robbing the corpses as well for an extra bonus. Manhattan did actually grow a bit more civilized, and became somewhere that at least a few men were willing to bring their families. Eventually Deetz killed an innocent man right as he came into town, claiming he was a different, older, wanted man. This innocent man’s brother was “one of the fastest guns in the Pueblo-Colorado Springs area” (so intimidating), and the scary brother came to find his brother and guessed what happened. He went to find the actual criminal his brother had been hung as, to confirm he was actually still alive, and, after shooting his way out (the criminal liked it that no one was looking for him since he was ‘dead’), went back to Manhattan, only to find out Deetz had moved on (after killing everyone he could get away with?).
    Deetz had gone to WY and allegedly robbed the Medicine Bow Banking Co., been captured, and lynched. Scary brother was disappointed he couldn't have participated. [The article this is mostly from uses a picture of ‘our’/the wrong BNG]

____

Big Nose George Reynolds
    Came from Utah, near Green River, Wyoming, had a “large potato nose”. Was part of a 5 man gang that pretended to be hunters/trappers (despite having no traps) but were actually horse thieves.

____

George “Flat Nose” Curry
    Born 3/20/1871 in (on?) Prince Edward Island, Canada. Led the Hole-In-The-Wall Gang, who included his 2 nephews, Harvey “Kid Curry” Logan + Alonzo “Lonny/Loney” Logan; William R. “Bill” Carver; Otho Camilla “Deaf Charlie” Hanks, and Benjamin A. “Ben/Blackie/The Tall Texan” Kilpatrick. The Hole-In-The-Wall Gang sometimes cooperated with Butch and Sundance’s Wild Bunch, who despite all pictures will always be led by Paul Newman and Robert Redford, because shut up.
    Flatnose helped Sundance and others rob a bank in South Dakota 6/28/1897, the Club Saloon in Nevada 4/3/1899, a UP train in WY 6/2/1899 (-the train robbing bunch then shot a Sheriff 3 days later). He was shot and killed in Utah by a sheriff 4/17/1900.
    Someone mentioned that the tip of his nose was shot off, but I have no legit sources for that, and the picture I saw of him he was just ugly, not actually disfigured looking, so who knows.

...that was a reasonable first hour of work. One thing I do know how I feel about - yesterday we found a thermostat hidden behind a case, in which the batteries were dead. Changed them, and suddenly it's 10 degrees warmer in my office, and it's glorious!
    dude, awesome stories

just today I got a Christmas card from a couple my/our age addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Evan [Fries]. ha.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2015

been reading old news stuff where even in the obituary, she's Mrs John Smith or whatever. never her own self. boo.
    That's just weirdi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    TINSHIFA I almost got in a fight with some townie bro yesterday evening after he buzzed me. Like he got out of the car and came at me from across the road but I rode away. It was kind of hilarious but also pretty dumb. I dunno.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Dad Fries, be careful pleaseYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    surprisefries:TINSHIFA I almost got in a fight with some townie bro yesterday evening after he buzzed me. Like he got out of the car and came at me from across the road but I rode away. It was kind of hilarious but also pretty dumb. I dunno.

Were they in a pearl white escalade by chance?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016

EBay has a "collections" category called "Statement Cycles".::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I think those are user-made pages. This Proportional road bikes one is pretty good."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Nope. Proportional Road Bikes is a user-made collection, but Statement Cycles is an "eBay Curated" collection:

"ebaycollectionseditor
    eBay’s Office of the Chief Curator carefully selects the most interesting, story-worthy, even spectacular items that eBay has to offer, and showcases them in beautiful, curated collections. Find what you need. Discover what you love.
    273 collections 2.4K followers"::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorryan t

It's a little strange that the intro paragraph associates Greg Lemond with steel bikes, even though I'm pretty sure he won his tours on early carbon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016

Broke-ass city trying to push a comeback narrative problems: I'm getting progressively bigger media requests (like, my buddy's blog, then the local bike advocacy group, then a little monthly glossy magazine, now a local news station) and I still haven't been paid to do a single job yet. The news station wants to follow me around some morning, but I have to tell them I don't have any work to do, lol.

Maybe I'll just ride around like, "and here's where I could pick up a bakery route, IF I HAD ONE""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    oh nooooooooes

better get baking?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016

Tell them to make it a story about trying to start a small messenger business in a post-industrial city. You'll be turning away clients after the piece airs.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2016

I think I fit in too well with New England, I don't get the culture out here. I've put some very mildly snarky replies on a few posts on various pages and instead of engaging with me directly, people tend to send me polite but thinly veiled mean private messages instead. I never got that in Mass, people like me aren't unusual. I'm like some sort of radical here. It's weird and depressing."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I'm sorry you are experiencing doubt :( I'm sure it was a hard decision to move, and a big commitment and that feeling that it wasn't the right choice can be really crushing and can really shake you up. How long have you been up there at this point?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2016 edited

Please come visit us in Rochester and meet the RBK gang that reminds me so much of BFG. Did you see the Corbett's Glen (aka Seatpost Girl West) shitshow on Thursday? It was beautiful.

People with the appropriate sense of humor definitely exist out here -- I think maybe I just lucked out and happened to have a premade snarky group in Rochester but in Buffalo you and Jon Fellows may need to go wrangle them up yourselves.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016 edited

I think I want to visit Minneapolis and see if it's actually as good as they say and how they did it. It seems like they got some good mayors who were able to turn things around bike-infrastructure-wise. Buffalo has an okay mayor who's been here for like 15 years, but if we can get the one guy (for real, it's pretty much one guy who got the bike stuff we have put in) to run we might have a chance.

We've been here for almost 6 months. I think Nat's adjusting better because he had no expectations and I'm just like "man, I didn't remember it being this bad, but these people are soft AF and wrong about everything".

And the most annoying thing is all the "we're so tough because it snows sometimes! That storm hitting the east coast is soo cute" jerking off. THE WEATHER HERE IS SO EASY. ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR. COME ON. We've gotten like 5 inches total all season and it's almost February."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016 edited

This season is a bad example, though. I mean, 94 inches average (99 in Rochester and 124 in Syracuse) kind of entitles you to make fun of Manhattanites freaking out over a couple of feet. But not Southerners. They just don't have any salt there, and that's terrifying.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016

I still maintain that this weather is easy. I saw a 7ft storm once growing up, as long as the plows are out it is not that bad and doesn't happen that frequently. Boston's winters are pretty much identical or worse, and I haven't seen a hurricane here yet.

It's good to have those numbers though, because these people act like this is the snowiest snow place to ever snow and they conveniently forget we rarely have the most snowfall in the state."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Riding in Manhattan is a mess right now. It's warm so things are melting and opening up but it was a sloppy, slushy morning, especially on the ride in from Brooklyn. There's just no where for the snow to go, as in are you all know from living in Boston. Streets 3-4 lanes across are halved by snow banks and delivery trucks. I'm just glad it's above freezing.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    Also I have a lot of friends from the Midwest who have made their way to Minneapolis and i think it's probably as good as you think it is.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016

That's the thing though, being from the midwest isn't exactly coming from a Boston or Amsterdam perspective. I had heard Madison has "an awesome bike scene" but I was pretty unimpressed when I visited. Did see a bike band gang with a sick sidehack, but every area has their bike super-dorks. I want to see regular people riding and commuting."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

gone
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited

I am very confused. That thing is hooked up inside the wheel as if it's meant to spin, but the wheel has hooks coming through it and clearly just gets dragged (non-spinningly) behind the bike. And the hooks appear to connect to the pot, so it too can't spin.

What?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I'm guessing the hook mechanism passes on the outside, not through the tire. If you were standing on the other side of the bike, it'd be clear.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

But what do you carry inside it? A plant? A baby?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^A medicine ball?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Groceries you don't mind getting sprayed by the rear wheel?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    definitely babbysDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016

Oh FFS, not this again. RaceFace Oval chainrings:

"Please understand that this is not Biopace technology. Shimano created Biopace with the completely wrong orientation of the biggest radius of the oval. Instead of positioning it in power zone which is slightly below the level of the crank, they clocked it to the dead zone where human generates least power. The result was that in power zone pedaling was too easy and in dead zone very difficult. Exactly opposite to how it should be."

This runs directly contrary to what Sheldon said:
    "The theory was that while the cranks are horizontal you can pedal more efficiently, and thus can push a higher gear...This looks great on paper, but doesn't work out so well in practice...The major problem is that this design tends to hurt people's knees...Biopace chainwheels have the small radius engaged when the cranks are horizontal...The theory is that during the power stroke, when the cranks are more or less horizontal, you are using the power of your legs to accelerate your feet, which get going quite fast in the lower gear provided for that part of the stroke. The momentum of your feet then carries the pedals through the "dead spot" when the cranks are near vertical."::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

TINSHIFA:

the dumb

Before anyone says anything about non-blurred names: it's on a public facebook group. Fair game.

There's something seriously fucking wrong with some self-proclaimed cyclist-proletariats. I had a person condescendingly lesbian-splain to me that I wasn't allowed at a femme-mechanics meeting (me = person of color, male)...as though that makes me a super-agent of the hegemonic process. Then I had another POC tell me that I couldn't grasp the concept of being part of a minority group (YOU'RE USING THE COLLOQUIALISM 'QUEER' WRONG). Now there's some other special snowflake that wants wine "sold," and basically demands being satisfied by veiling it under the guise of "that drink is 21 y.o. male-college-centric, and I feel left out. CATER TO ME."

What goes through the minds of these people who think everyone should kowtow to their whims? Hypothetically they're adults. This is like the uber-liberal version of the "bobbed haircut at starbucks/my-name-is-stacy-let me-speak-to-your-manager."

Dear MA: please have some sort of human decency test when you let in transplants.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. That person really seems like a wiener for whining about wanting the alcohol-serving event to be more inclusive by serving the alcohol flavor they prefer, but how does that relate to women-specific bike workshops?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries

Sorry - the women specific bike shop thing: the person was like: "it's only for women, b/c we're a minority in bike culture. it's a safe space...and BOYS ARE NOT ALLOWED." she was being a douche-canoe by implying that it was fair to have a women-only club because feminism (hypocritical to the idea of equality), and that me being a hetero-dude meant that I wouldn't understand the need, b/c I wasn't targeted demographic...despite me being a minority.

She was basically going on and on about how great it was to be a lesbian in MA this, then lesbian in Cambridge that, and "oh yeah, there's this mechanics night at X, but you can't join because you're a guy." This was after she said I wasn't allowed to call myself colored...because it would offend other colored people. Like...fuck her.

I'm not saying all lesbians are terrible...but what the fuck how do I keep meeting the ones who are like the captains of the SS douche-tanic.

PS: adding douche to the beginning of nautical ships is funny. "Douche-outrigger canoe." "Douche-catamaran." "Douche-dinghy." "Douche-flatbottom boat (makes the world go round.)"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016 edited

For the record, the person whose comments you're objecting to has been part of the Boston bike scene since before you and I were born. As far as I'm concerned, she's entitled more than than most people I know to be a douche yacht. She is absolutely *not* a "transplant." She's definitely a character, but knowing her and knowing her personality quirks, I'm not convinced that she can help it.

Before you assume you know everything about a person based on their internet presence, take a chill pill. I say this not to be a dick, but because I love you. Well, more accurately, I'm being a dick, but only because I love you.

But what do I know, I don't even live in Boston anymore. Though I did ride fixed today.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorMJ

pocky:For the record, the person whose comments you're objecting to has been part of the Boston bike scene since before you and I were born. As far as I'm concerned, she's entitled more than than most people I know to be a douche yacht. She's definitely a character, but knowing her and knowing her personality quirks, I'm not convinced that she can help it.

Before you go off about the internet presence of people you don't know, take a chill pill.

But what do I know, I don't even live in Boston anymore. Though I did ride fixed today.

I mean, that's great that they've been part of the bike scene and all, but I don't believe that they should be catered to.

Also, beer? 21 year old male centric? They just sound like a condescending asshole. Get fucked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The comment might be being blown out of proportion. People can be weird. I mean, it's a Boston Cyclists Union party, it's an attraction for characters.

Saying that feminism is "hypocritical to the idea of equality" is pretty wrong, though. There are good reasons for there to be women-only bike events, because dudes tend to invade and expect all the attention and talk over everyone like usual which pushes a lot of women out (and there are certainly no shortage of open bike events), but I get why you were hurt. You should totally start a non-white people bike event. There needs to be more of those.

You'd also get a handful of white people trying to crash it and you'd have to explain why that'd defeat the whole point of making a space where certain minorities would feel comfortable coming out to, turning it into another white bro party that inadvertently keeps non-white-bros away, perpetuating the problem."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries

pocky: yeah, figured out she was older, so i hereby take back a majority of vitriol. but still: bring your poison and just donate? apparently i am just lucky to experience the mass media echo effect first hand multiple times. Like I was legit subjected to some latino-bro's red pill bullshit at an asian networking event...and he was complaining about Thai women. I mean come on. Anyone wanna take a bet on what weirdo I run into this week? Some trans-racial furry who thinks Ted Cruz is the reincarnation of Jesus?