Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016

Sigged.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016 edited

@pocky: i am honored that you have sigged my drivel.

@nandy: so basically...white bros/basic white girls need to stop appropriating the idea of complaining about the appropriation of a culture, before it becomes appropriated by the initial appropriators? SS-APPROPRIATE-DOUCHE-TUGBOAT, ALL ABOARD.
    Like the white people complaining cultural appropriation at the MFA letting people try on a kimono, that was donated by the Japanese government for that exact purpose?

If you meet that furry get 'em on here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016 edited

But this is about bikes, and it's no secret that bike bros can be really shitty to people that aren't bros, so it kind of makes sense to throw a "let's hang out with a bunch of other ladies who like bikes but don't like getting harassed by condescending boys and encourage other ladies to get into the scene" thing. Think if it like an incubator space, so a wider variety of people can become comfortable in the bike scene, so other bike events can become more diverse and inclusive and maybe these won't be needed someday. Seriously, do a non-white people event. There's too many fucking white people and too many misogynist bros in bikes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

Nandy:I think I want to visit Minneapolis and see if it's actually as good as they say and how they did it. It seems like they got some good mayors who were able to turn things around bike-infrastructure-wise. Buffalo has an okay mayor who's been here for like 15 years, but if we can get the one guy (for real, it's pretty much one guy who got the bike stuff we have put in) to run we might have a chance.

We've been here for almost 6 months. I think Nat's adjusting better because he had no expectations and I'm just like "man, I didn't remember it being this bad, but these people are soft AF and wrong about everything".

And the most annoying thing is all the "we're so tough because it snows sometimes! That storm hitting the east coast is soo cute" jerking off. THE WEATHER HERE IS SO EASY. ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR. COME ON. We've gotten like 5 inches total all season and it's almost February.

Having a huge bike industry employer with a strong advocacy bent is a big part of the equatione-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016 edited

Buffalo used to have 400 bike manufacturers, now there's just two kids who aren't very good at it.

I think they actually think that's good welding, they all look like that..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016 edited

Well, at least we still have Georgena, though she doesn't build her own frames anymore -- she sends the designs to Waterford.

And now we have this guy -- The Bicycle Forge. I met him at a crafts market yesterday, and I was pretty impressed with what I saw:

That fork has two fifty-cent pieces topping the crown. He had a tadpole cargo trike there too with a fork with pennies topping the crown.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

Does Georgena go to bike events? I want to meet her so bad."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

Sometimes. I think she comes to the political things sometimes, and I think she comes to the Bicycle Film Festival but she wasn't at the one movie I saw there last year.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/
    How do you feel about this?

I fear that the internet security community at large is going to come rallying behind apple, but here's my take: This is not a "backdoor", it's simply a modified firmware. What I really want to know, which articles online aren't telling me, is am I correct that the whole reason the FBI can't write their own firmware is because the spec is closed and reverse engineering it would take valuable time away from solving the crime?
    The thing that feels nefarious about this to me is that if I'm right, Apple's own desire to keep the hardware platform closed to themselves so that only THEY can write firmware for it is precisely the thing that is preventing the FBI from writing their own firmware to solve this crime.
    Now they're using this case to say "See? We keep the hardware platform closed FOR YOUR SECURITY."
    But that's bullshit.
    If this was an Android phone, nobody would be saying "Android is LESS secure because anybody can write a modified OS for it. I want an iPhone because I trust Apple to make it secure for me, I don't want to be able to modify the source code -- that means the bad guys can modify it too. I trust Apple and Apple alone."
    See what I did there?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

i don't trust a mega-corporation like apple any more than i trust the american government.

it's interesting with the accusations being made against apple for forcing people to use them and them only for repairs, circumventing freedom of people to do with their device as they please (the error 53 thing or whatever it's called).

apple are full of shit.
    but they also be right in this case.
    and the fbi should be good enough to figure this shit out anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Here's an interesting point -- Apple has ALREADY provided custom firmwares to law enforcement, since at least 2009! So this whole Tim Cook letter is FUD and marketing.

Also, here's a really good analysis of this whole debacle.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I'm on Apple's side. Or, rather, I'm on the side of privacy. Sure this is a high profile and very public FBI case involving a violent terroristic attack. But what happens when it's a low-profile case with the Sacramento sheriff's department? What happens when it's the Ferguson PD? I'd rather not know every little detail there is to know about this single, isolated case than forfeit the privacy of every iPhone owner in the world.

The technical feasibility question is interesting. But why should Apple have to waste its resources to develop a custom OS every time a phone is subpoenaed? Tim Cook is right to stand his ground, PR move or no. Case law works by precedent. If they make an exception for this one phone, however important it may be, that exception paves the way for future subpoenas citing the original. Exception becomes expectation. Right now, Apple can argue that prior precedent doesn't apply anymore because they've developed new technology in the intervening years that negates the precedent. As soon as they comply with this order, that argument goes down the drain, along with all the resources they've spent developing those new security features and a good chunk of their credibility.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016 edited

The "forfeiting the privacy of every iPhone owner in the world" idea is exactly the FUD that Tim is preying on with his letter. The FBI is just asking to be able to run a modified OS on the particular phone that's in evidence, exactly as Apple has done for them before and as you can do on all non-vendor-locked hardware. It's folly to think that only vendor-locked hardware is secure. There's a reason that open-source Linux is the dominant OS (by an enormous margin) in the server market, where data security is paramount. It's code is visible, changeable, and auditable, and therefore security holes are found and fixed immediately. If you care about security, don't rely on the trust of a vendor -- use real security measures like real, lengthy passwords that are uncrackable in your lifetime even with an insanely fast cracking tool.

And I don't buy the "our addition of new security features negates our old precedent of providing modified iOS to law enforcement" argument. This is really no different than what they've provided before. In fact, it feels like LESS than they've done before, because now that they can't simply DISABLE the lock screen, they just need to disable the time delay on the lock screen so the FBI can run a brute-force cracking tool more efficiently. This isn't about Apple caring about your security, it's about them wanting to increase your PERCEPTION of how much they care about your security in the face of the massive App Store security breach of last year. -- if they truly cared about your security, they would allow Tor developers to release a Tor client that will run on unjailbroken iOS.

Don't kid yourself for a minute in thinking that this is a burden on Apple's engineers, or that the FBI doesn't have the resources to make a modified OS themselves to attempt a brute-force password crack. (See pnordahl's Windows Password Reset tool, which was reverse engineered from Windows by one dude in his spare time.) The FBI just can't do it themselves if they don't have Apple's signing keys.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

This guy says more eloquently and knowledgeably what I was trying to say: http://www.macworld.com/article/3034355/ios/why-the-fbis-request-to-apple-will-affect-civil-rights-for-a-generation.htmlWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016 edited

"It’s the reason the NRA fights any attempts at gun control, since they fear a slow build, not a single small law."

Wow, thank you, MacWorld, for telling us that we in the computer security field should emulate the NRA's example. Because all the NRA's work actually makes us more secure, and any additional control of guns is a terrible thing and will lead to a country in which all your guns have been taken away.
    (I'm not sure where your stance on gun control is, but I am definitely for reasonable amounts of gun control and don't actually believe that doing so will lead to our country taking away all yer gunz.)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016

i'm cooking the food for a work event on tuesday, which would be fun if it were just for coworkers, but no, it's like the whole town plus our super special guest (some author who is going to start selling signed box sets through the museum) who is apparently such a VIP that today we GOT NEW TOILET SEATS at the museum. like, what? who rates new toilet seats?? so, yknow, no pressure...
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2016

Was riding my garish pink cruiser bike for first time this year. Tried to get coffee at starbucks, was mobbed by pre-teens. One of them said the "damn, daniel" thing to me + bike. I feel old, yet young?

ellen explanation, b/c old
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Pics of the garish pink cruiser bike, plz."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Nobody has said this to me yet. Disappointed.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2016 edited

if you knew me IRL, you'd know that i have an affinity for pink bikes. it's terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I love every fucking thing about this bike.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorMJ

What bars are those?

:D

probably these; most of this bike was cobbled together from random junk, so there's no name on it. the dimensions mostly match, but i have them cut down to about 48mm, end to end.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

smoothness::D

probably these; most of this bike was cobbled together from random junk, so there's no name on it. the dimensions mostly match, but i have them cut down to about 48mm, end to end.

I've been debating on swapping out the risers I have on my allez for something similar, that little bit of extra sweep would help a lot since my wrists are trash.
    pocky:I love every fucking thing about this bike.
    i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2016 edited

o man, that's fucking beautiful. I love Shoguns from that era, and pink bikes are the shit.

Paint fade close up:

and my beloved Shogun, which now has a new home:
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016 edited

I'm not really a fan of bullhorns, but Shimano's new groupset is kind of interesting.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/180794-shimano-metrea-groupset-aimed-urban-cycling-market

• CommentTimeMar 1st 2016 edited

MJ:I've been debating on swapping out the risers I have on my allez for something similar, that little bit of extra sweep would help a lot since my wrists are trash.

comfort > all. you're only getting older and more decrepit. it has a good amount of sweep compared to regular risers, but not to the point of being a "3-speed" bar. i'm slowly moving my seat back and forth, to get the weight distribution to be like 55/45; my wrists are already messed up, and i will probably have arthritis when old.

wtb: fancy glucosamine cognate of the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016

I'm having problems with my wrists too. Any other advice? I don't really want to put risers on my road bikes and I don't have $$ for a new one. So, htfu?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Ppl kept telling me wrist pain was lack of core strength, but I think that was a red herring. But it can be caused by being like, unbalanced on the bike - like if your knees aren't far enough forward of your saddle you sort of naturally can put less weight on the saddle and it puts extra strain on your wrists and forearms to keep upright. So a setback seatpost and a cockpit adjustment could help.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Yeah, it's just weird that I've been riding this exact setup for literally years. I messengered on this setup. I haven't done anything differently but suddenly now I have wrist pain for the first time ever. Sucky. Maybe I'll just do a bunch of crunches and see if that helps. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I know I recommend these all the time, but they're the comfiest city bars I've ever had and classy AF.

My hands just rest on them nicely without putting too much weight on the saddle."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorMJ

Wrist pain is something I'm used to unfortunately; over a decade of being a diver, hitting the water, handstands, climbing out of a pool a million times, has most definitely taken its toll. Cutting off my fingers didn't help either, the bone graft site still tends to be a bit bothersome.

I have little issue with drops, but risers tend to get to me more than anything else; I do like my bars narrow so finding the right sweep/rise has been a bit of an issue.
    nerdo:Yeah, it's just weird that I've been riding this exact setup for literally years. I messengered on this setup. I haven't done anything differently but suddenly now I have wrist pain for the first time ever. Sucky. Maybe I'll just do a bunch of crunches and see if that helps. :)

Yeah, I've had setups stop working too, mostly at the saddlei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    check your weight balance, and your core strength. it sounds stupid, but it matters. you shouldn't be leaning heavily on your hands, or tight on your shoulders. everything should feel copacetic, man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016

nerdo:I'm having problems with my wrists too. Any other advice? I don't really want to put risers on my road bikes and I don't have $$ for a new one. So, htfu?

Have you tried moustache bars? I love mine.

Added bonus: you can offer people moustache rides.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited

TINSHIFA: I just put in a four benjamin bid on a straggler 650b in glitter pink: unicorns! everyone keeps saying they want fewer bikes...but i really do. will this allow me to get rid of my rigid mtb/hybrid/27" touring/road/etc. bikes and frames? someone tell me i'm doing the right thing.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016

smoothness:TINSHIFA: I just put in a four benjamin bid on a straggler 650b in glitter pink: unicorns! everyone keeps saying they want fewer bikes...but i really do. will this allow me to get rid of my rigid mtb/hybrid/27" touring/road/etc. bikes and frames? someone tell me i'm doing the right thing.

I was torn between the straggler and the Soma wolverine, eventually went with the wolverine myself. The biggest reason for me was the dropouts, which surly has created their clever vertical/horizontal hybrid, something about it just didn't seem 100% to me. Wolverine has sliding dropouts which made that decision easier.

The straggler would have done the same exact thing that the wolverine is doing, just as well. Absolutely love that color too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016

That is a sick bike, hope you get it! Do you have parts ready for it? The sort of weird wheel size might make it more economical to get the full build, and since Surlys aren't much cheaper online you could get it through any shop for about the same."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016

@ MJ:
    i'm too travel-sized for soma. wanted 650b because i'm never going to find an actual constructeur bike. also, that NDS dropout looks...not sexy to me. all my mixtes have horizontal/semi-horizontal dropouts; bikes were that way forever. [aside: remember when people used 'horizontal dropouts' as a selling point during fixed gear craze?] if you think that looks sketch, never look at old cannondale dropouts - they will scare you. they're basically just 4 inch tab of metal sticking out of the seat stay to chain stay joint.

@nandy
    i've got parts i can use except for headset, wheels, discs, and probably a seat post. i'm just going to throw the fanciest compatible stuff i have on there, and sell the rest of it. i've got enough C&V stuff for like four bikes...and ride 1.5 of them. i'll build the wheels myself, because i need the practice.

wheel works said they could order a 2016 model for $1700.00 or so; i figure i can beat that price with the parts i have, especially if i can beat the frame MSRP by $60.00. that's like all the spokes and nipples (plus extras) that'd i'd need :D.

yay thinking it through!
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016

smoothness:@ MJ:
    i'm too travel-sized for soma. wanted 650b because i'm never going to find an actual constructeur bike. also, that NDS dropout looks...not sexy to me. all my mixtes have horizontal/semi-horizontal dropouts; bikes were that way forever. [aside: remember when people used 'horizontal dropouts' as a selling point during fixed gear craze?] if you think that looks sketch, never look at old cannondale dropouts - they will scare you. they're basically just 4 inch tab of metal sticking out of the seat stay to chain stay joint.

Totally understandable, it's mostly this that turned me off on the straggler, I know that it's completely fine set up that way, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

versus (yes this is a single speed no hanger, but otherwise, same)

With the research that I was doing on the straggler at the time, there was enough of a question about the drop outs that I couldn't confidently pick them. I don't plan on running a single speed on my wolverine so I'm not really worried about adjusting them often, if ever, so I don't really think I'll run into much of an issue but who knows.

Also, old Cannondale dropouts have always scared the shit out of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016 edited

Yeah, the wolverine is pretty enormous, I think I looked at it briefly and was all "NOPE cross that right off. No 650b bikes for me", but the straggler has a much better range. Rode a 46cm a few weeks ago and I had zero standover, but the 38 or 42 would have been fine. The mint color looked real hot, too."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016 edited

Another fantastic example of the bike industry not only alienating women, but also playing to stereotypes?
    http://www.jeffsy.com

That being said, having a wife who isn't as much of a cyclist as I am, this video is completely accurate, and this is totally my life. I would love it if they also did one with a gay couple, or one where the woman is the cyclist and the man isn't. Since they're requesting user submissions, maybe that will actually happen!::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016

had a phone interview today for a job back around you guys, but it ended up being 6 1/2 minutes of rapid-fire questions, half asking for 1 word answers, and no opportunity for me to ask my own questions. what even the hell? apparently they're going to be finishing their first round of phoneterviews early next week, even though the job posting says it's open through the 30th...
    do they just already have someone picked but have to go through the motions?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

When many companies do rounds of phone interviews, the initial one is to weed out any candidates that would obviously not be a good fit. They're looking for inconsistencies in your resume, fact-checking and getting a feel that you aren't the fool who only asks about vacation time in the initial interview.
    I would guess that the next interviews will be more in depth or in person and you'll get a chance to fly your flag more at that point. If you don't hear from them in a few days, you can always call them and inquire on the status of your resume. Yeah, you don't wanna sound pushy. But you also don't wanna seem apathetic. Go getters > laid back wahtevers
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Welp, they've already contacted at least one of my references. I don't get their process at all, but maybe I can share baked goods with you guys someday in the not too distant future?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

John89 is a very interesting community member - seems to obviously be a robot, yet doesn't appear to be spamming anything as far as I can tell.

I found another John89 on BicycleTutor.com that was registered the same day and has the same manner of speech: http://forums.bicycletutor.com/user-5168.html. While John89 uses no avatar here, the avatar selected there is some attorney named Zachary P. Oliva: http://blog.texasbar.com/2013/01/articles/people/random-profile-zachary-p-oliva-houston/

Interesting that bicycle forums are a specific target of John89.

Finally, I found this: https://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/27.147.231.199

This associates an email address with a john89 username, which indicates http://roadbikehub.com might be affiliated, also written in broken english.
    I just thought it was Karoli mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^+1DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D