Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016 edited

^^ I just thought it was another Marais.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I am super skeptical about this making Prospect and Webster 2-way streets around Union Sq. Particularly Webster, where people are constantly driving in the bike lane already.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

I'm excited to see it next time I'm in town. At first I was all "nah" then "well maybe it could work, both sides were always clusters of fucks" and after thinking on it more I think I'm leaning more towards nah."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

People were always driving down the bike lane anyway. They really need to ban car drop offs to that school. Also ban cars from the whole sq."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah but they are specifically preserving the drop zones, sadly. I'll probably ride through tomorrow evening and will report back. I actually rode through Friday night/Sat AM (~1:30am) as they were doing all the striping, which was pretty cool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Mixed bag.

It was nice not having to go around through the square to get from Washington to Prospect, but not great crossing Somerville Ave with so many cars trying to turn left from Prospect onto Somerville Ave. I hope they change the light sequence so they're not both green at the same time.

Also you really need to take the lane going up the hill on Prospect, there is not enough room for a car and a bike. Same with going down Webster into the square.

And everyone was driving in the bike lane on Prospect into Union.

And they did not make the parking lanes wide enough, so even normal-sized cars parked close to the curb were sticking out into the bike lanes a bit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

:c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yup

Weds evening I got to ride through there twice (in the rain no less), on my way to the Paradise from Winter Hill, got just past Inman and realized I'd forgotten my ticket. It's not great but maybe things will clear up a bit after it's been in place a while. It's like 10000 times better to bike through there than drive right now though, 'cause at least you can get through the mess.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Rode through Union again last night (Washington to Prospect) and they made some changes which, combined with people getting used to it, seems to have made it less dumb. They may have changed the light sequence to make it better (not sure though). But as I sort-of expected after thinking about it, the too-narrow parking lane is actually the bike lane (no signage yet). People seem to have figured it out now:

They were doing more work on it last night so we'll see.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017

^Can't view the image. Maybe it's private?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    any better?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017

Interesting! I'm never confident in that arrangement. It seems like just you've traded door danger for sudden pedestrian syndrome (SPS) danger. And you still have the possibility of passenger-side doorings!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Agreed, seems like the threats are less predictable on that side of parked cars, especially with a small buffer but no real barrier.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017 edited

and then you can't swerve or bail out because surprise! there's a curb to your right.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017

^Exactly!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017

and the parking goes right up to the corner, so drivers aren't looking for you and have a lot more speed going into the turn. I don't like it. Just ban the cars. Easy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries