Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016 edited

^^ I just thought it was another Marais.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I am super skeptical about this making Prospect and Webster 2-way streets around Union Sq. Particularly Webster, where people are constantly driving in the bike lane already.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

I'm excited to see it next time I'm in town. At first I was all "nah" then "well maybe it could work, both sides were always clusters of fucks" and after thinking on it more I think I'm leaning more towards nah."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

People were always driving down the bike lane anyway. They really need to ban car drop offs to that school. Also ban cars from the whole sq."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah but they are specifically preserving the drop zones, sadly. I'll probably ride through tomorrow evening and will report back. I actually rode through Friday night/Sat AM (~1:30am) as they were doing all the striping, which was pretty cool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Mixed bag.

It was nice not having to go around through the square to get from Washington to Prospect, but not great crossing Somerville Ave with so many cars trying to turn left from Prospect onto Somerville Ave. I hope they change the light sequence so they're not both green at the same time.

Also you really need to take the lane going up the hill on Prospect, there is not enough room for a car and a bike. Same with going down Webster into the square.

And everyone was driving in the bike lane on Prospect into Union.

And they did not make the parking lanes wide enough, so even normal-sized cars parked close to the curb were sticking out into the bike lanes a bit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

:c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yup

Weds evening I got to ride through there twice (in the rain no less), on my way to the Paradise from Winter Hill, got just past Inman and realized I'd forgotten my ticket. It's not great but maybe things will clear up a bit after it's been in place a while. It's like 10000 times better to bike through there than drive right now though, 'cause at least you can get through the mess.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Rode through Union again last night (Washington to Prospect) and they made some changes which, combined with people getting used to it, seems to have made it less dumb. They may have changed the light sequence to make it better (not sure though). But as I sort-of expected after thinking about it, the too-narrow parking lane is actually the bike lane (no signage yet). People seem to have figured it out now:

They were doing more work on it last night so we'll see.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017

^Can't view the image. Maybe it's private?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    any better?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017

Interesting! I'm never confident in that arrangement. It seems like just you've traded door danger for sudden pedestrian syndrome (SPS) danger. And you still have the possibility of passenger-side doorings!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Agreed, seems like the threats are less predictable on that side of parked cars, especially with a small buffer but no real barrier.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017 edited

and then you can't swerve or bail out because surprise! there's a curb to your right.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017

^Exactly!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017

and the parking goes right up to the corner, so drivers aren't looking for you and have a lot more speed going into the turn. I don't like it. Just ban the cars. Easy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018 edited

I don't know why this is frustrating me so much, but I have nowhere else more appropriate to vent about it, so here goes.

I have a Facebook friend/arts colleague who's a (female) lawyer, and posts lots of social justice type stuff. She's a business and family law lawyer. I like to think of myself as a pretty social-justice-minded person. And she's obviously someone who knows a lot about social justice in business, from a legal perspective. But I'm also someone who knows a little bit about contract negotiations in the arts, albeit from a much lower end of the totem pole than Mark Wahlberg does.

So when she posted the thing about Mark Wahlberg getting 1.5M for reshoots while Michelle Williams got essentially nothing but per diem, with a warning to always demand your fair share of pay and never offer to work for free, and people started chiming in about how this is awful and "Marky Mark isn't an ally", I mentioned "Arts contract negotiations are extra weird, though. Equal pay for equal work has some extra complicating factors in the arts world. It's supply and demand and marketing and publicity publicity publicity. For all we know, Willams and her agent deliberately made the public announcement that she'd be happy to do the reshoots without pay specifically to draw attention to the reshoots, banking on publicity rather than paycheck...This is not to deny that women in film/music/theater aren't pushing hard enough for fair pay, or are not being taken seriously enough when they do. That's definitely a real problem. But it gets very complicated when you compare a $1.5M Mark Wahlberg fee to any another actor's, whether they be male or female."

Someone then replied with simply a one-word response: "No." A bunch of people, including the OP (the lawyer), "liked" it. Someone else said "I rolled my eyes so hard at that 'explanation'." I said something along the lines of "Curious why "no". Trying to enter into a dialogue about this. I recognize sexism is a problem in the arts, but since Mark Wahlberg is quite literally the highest-paid actor in the world right now (with a link to an article showing that), it's impossible to gather any useful data by comparing his salary to that of anyone else. I think it's much more interesting to look at the statistic that the highest-paid male stars are paid vastly more than the highest paid female stars. That's got to be indicative of a problem, but Wahlberg's ability to negotiate contracts versus anyone else isn't." And that post then disappeared. I gave the benefit of the doubt, that maybe my internet service was screwing up and I never posted it, so I forgot about it for a couple of days, and then just now posted another one, saying that my "explanation" turns out to be correct -- that Wahlberg did indeed use the terms of the "costar" clause in his contract, which was very different than Williams' or others' contracts, to totally renegotiate his contract when the reshoots were announced and bag himself an additional 1.5M, but the other actors in the film didn't have such a clause to negotiate by. My idea that the announcement could have been intended to draw publicity is still conjecture. I recognize on a second glance that maybe that feels like gaslighting. But it is a fact that Williams's agency is the same one as Wahlberg's. And Wahlberg is donating the whole 1.5M salary to TimesUp.Again, this isn't to say there is no sexism problem in the industry -- there definitely is, but (again about Wahlberg being literally the highest paid, and the real problem being indicated by the disparity between male and female salaries on average.) Almost as quickly as I posted it, it disappeared again.

So I have no alternative but to conclude that the person whose wall this is, who is a lawyer specializing in family and business law, doesn't want my facts or opinions displayed on her post. I mean, hell, Facebook isn't a democracy, and she deserves to do whatever the hell she wants to do with her wall. But I'm having a hard time not judging her for it. Especially because rather than deleting all of my comments, she deleted only the latter ones -- the ones that are presenting facts that run contrary to her opinions. I recognize that women take a lot of shit that's unfair and really do believe that I'm an ally but that doesn't always make a difference when someone's feeling (fairly!) like their whole sex is getting shit on. But as a lawyer, I'm having a hard time not judging her for this. This situation makes me feel especially frustrated -- though I recognize that any frustration I feel about this pales in comparison with women's frustration about being paid unfairly for, like, the entire history of economics -- but it makes me feel especially mistrustful of lawyers.

Part of me would love to send her a personal message to ask to talk about it, saying that I totally get it if she has no interest in talking about it. Part of me just wants to unfriend her and be done with it. But I'm probably gonna just not do anything except stew over it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018

ugh. Pocky - I empathize with you about this situation. I had a crazy backlash against a reasoned statement I made (this was bored panda - so no one bothered to delete my OP - but I *think* I have had one deleted somewhere along the line on FB...)

I agree with you, I don't see how she can hone her lawyerly chops if she deletes opposing views - in particular by someone who is informed. & the thing that really depresses me here is to see people on the liberal side becoming closed minded like this.

Myself, I decided not to unfriend people - it lets us shelter ourselves too much. But I wonder how open she would be to dialogue...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018 edited

Yeah, I haven't been unfriending people either, for the same reason.

And yeah, I'm most disturbed by the idea that we as liberals have been treading down that same path of silencing dissent that the conservatives trod down long ago.

Ahh, I remember now what the other thing was about that happened recently that I was just taking to a_lion about. It was about Star Wars. FUCKING STAR WARS.
    https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/
    Apparently, I can't hate on the most recent Star Wars movie without being accused of misogyny by very close friends.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Fuck Mark Wahlberg, though. Why this shitbag a name in any production and is getting paid at all is beyond me."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I think no matter what, deleting reasonable opposing views is pretty damn shady. I'm not sure what I would do but try not to stew too much, that shit's bad for you (and I need to take my own advice more). I would maybe delete your prior comments so she can't intentionally make you look bad, which seems to be what's happening.

I liked TLJ a lot (but have only seen it once, so dunno if that'll hold up). I had some issues but I don't think any more than any other Star Wars movie. And the biggest issue I had (plot-related) turned out to be just because I missed something earlier in the movie. And I really like the take in the post you linked, that This is a film about discretion being the better part of valor. The way I read it though totally leaves room to hate on TLJ, it's just a complaint about the vague whining that to be fair has happened around every release after the original trilogy. Maybe it happened then too, but I wasn't born yet so who knows. (Actually I was 1 when RotJ came out but that's barely alive.)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Idk, I watched the original ones again a few weeks ago and was like "holy shit, what do these people have against women? How deep do we have to get into this before we pass the bechdel test? Movies were weird and creepy back then""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah, I just watched Empire with MiniFries yesterday and man the whole Han/Leia dynamic gets pretty creepy.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2018

I just saw TLJ last night and loved it, fwiw.

Pocky, without necessarily agreeing with your point about the Wahlberg/Williams kerfuffle (I don't know enough to agree or disagree), I do agree we get into a dangerous place when dissenting opinions are shut down. I just read a piece criticizing Margaret Fucking Atwood of all people for wanting due process and the advocating for the principle of "innocent until proven guilty." Strange days.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum

surprisefries: Maybe it happened then too, but I wasn't born yet so who knows. (Actually I was 1 when RotJ came out but that's barely alive.)

Mostly people were just happy another star wars came out. (Was I in high school? I think so...)

Nandy:Idk, I watched the original ones again a few weeks ago and was like "holy shit, what do these people have against women?

Although - compared to the Princess Amidala, Princess Leia is right on - I mean, she's assertive, competent, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Granted I've tried to expunge the prequels from my mind as much as possible, but did Amidala actually do anything?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    IIRC she helps keep Anakin on the level for a while I think. And she's sort of a moderating force wrt the separatist/republic dispute. She fights in the clone wars and I guess she's one of the founders of the resistance. And obviously gives birth to Luke and Leia. Apparently she's pretty badass in some of the expanded universe stuff.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum

nerdo:Granted I've tried to expunge the prequels from my mind as much as possible, but did Amidala actually do anything?

Does wearing some crazy outfits count?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

TINSHIFA making an enormous financial decision to buy framebuilding equipment. I'm mostly super excited and think I can do it and stick with it, but it's so much risk in so many ways. I also went ahead and ordered a bike from my hero Georgena Terry when I wasn't sure if this equipment stuff would happen, and now I feel like I've spent more than my whole year's disposable income and then some."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    If it doesn't work out can you recoup a fair amount by reselling the equipment? That could mitigate the monetary risk at least.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2018

Sounds exciting!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I am excited that you bought framebuilding equipment and I assume Georgena is psyched to mentor you to some degree, too.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Haven't asked Georgena to mentor me directly (yet), but she's been my main inspiration."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorAlphonse
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018 edited

There are interesting threads on iBob and 650b google groups right now, about how to make nice, flexible, steel frames for smaller, lighter riders by using undersized tubes. If you could get into this you would be literally the only person doing it for this purpose. I support you!!!

Edit: In case it isn't obvious, I mention this because I think there is a demand for it in the custom market.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2018

I think there is, too. I hate 650b, though. It's too big."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorAlphonse
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018

I agree. I find 650b useful for conversions, but for small frames I back 559 all the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018

Same. I converted an old Terry from 24"(520)x700c to 24"(507)x650b that turned out well!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorAlphonse
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2018

That sounds like a smart conversion. I’ve always thought that smaller front wheels present an opportunity for fitting taller front luggage in the space between the top of the front wheel and the handlebars, which is otherwise so restricted on smaller frames — especially if one enjoys a more aggressive fit/not super high bars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

haha, you're describing all my bikes

I definitely want to bring back 520s because they're so rad and allow so many options and ride so great."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I had CETMA make support rails to fit that bike, before that I was using wald supports. It's the best commuter bike."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorAlphonse
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2018

Ha! Love it. That’s exactly what I meant.
    Um...is there a cat in there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2018

Yup."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries