Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

If you just posted pics of a random internet corgo we probably wouldn't even notice"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018

I'm at the BG bicycle safety commission for their monthly meeting, and the president guy got hit on the way here (not bad, but he was shook)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Oh hell he prefers sharrows over bike lanes, RUN HIM OVER BETTERThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

lolwut, what a dumbass"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018

sharrows are like the thoughts and prayers of the bike safety worldThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    a_lion:sharrows are like the thoughts and prayers of the bike safety world

QFT

is he...a vehicular cyclist?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018

hah idk, they have training from yay bikes, which appears to be an ohio based thing and it's unclear what they...teachThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2018

tinshfa - ryan, who i definitely met through this board years ago, asked me tonight if i've ever made a cake. i literally run a food blog called spare cake.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018

Uhh I thought you did cookies... okay my mind is blown. Or I mean mean ocake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018

I was in town last week and saw a lot of the usual cars blocking bike lanes in between travel lanes and parking, but surprisingly few cars blocking "parking protected" lanes, which sketch me out for a lot of reasons, but how do you all feel about them? Are they getting cleared properly and getting blocked less often? Is it worth the extra hassle when they do get blocked? Does the lack of visibility cause problems?

Back when the only one of those was on Ames st I hated them - blocking and drivers flying into garages without looking were always issues. Maybe drivers are driving better now?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I honestly don't ride them very much 'cause they aren't where I go. I still think Ames is a bit nuts, but better than it was? People seem to have figured it out. The one on Washington St. between Sully and Union Sq in Somerville has been totally fine for me, though I only ride through about once a week in the evening. Sight line is bad coming out of it but it's a v. small side street that is rarely turned onto.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018

I rage-hate them. But they don't seem to exist in Seattle, so maybe it doesn't matter to me anymore?

But in case I move back sometime: To me, these are the worst kind of fear-based advocacy. Bad visibility, more pedestrians crossing at all parts along the curb, bad access for street cleaning, no parking accountability. It's a solution that confuses everybody and actually makes things less safe for the people they're trying to "protect." If you ride 5-7mph in them, maybe you'd be fine. Any faster and I find them sketchy as shit.

I have opinions. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Those things seemed like a terrible idea from day one.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018

I use those cycle tracks at MIT, but holy shit, better watch out for confused students!

What about the plastic bollard things they now have protecting the bike lanes around Union Sq? Those were a nice gesture, but I don’t see them lasting because they need constant replacement after cars plow them over, and also every time road infrastructure gets built in union, it seems to get torn up and replaced. Seriously why do they need to overhaul Union so often?
    I do agree with ^+^^ both of you.

The MIT cycle tracks are much better than they were when first installed, in terms of peds in them. Far from perfect though, and when there's any influx of new people (start of the school year, sports events) it's a shit show indeed.

The plastic bollards in Union (technically I believe they're called stanchions if they're movable?) basically keep getting run over and the city says the don't have money to replace them right now. eye roll. A lot of the work going on right now though is because (IIRC) the sewer and utilities under there are a shit show and need to be upgraded to handle all the new square footage coming in. One bright spot is apparently they'll be building pump stations in Somerville- right now all the storm drains and that are just gravity-powered which is why they flood so easily.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Really, well at least all that construction is serving a good purpose. I think you’re right that they are stanchions. Every cyclist should know their road furniture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

To be fair I love actual cycle tracks (as long as the transition is good, whenever the MIT ones have a car parked on the ramp I get filled with rage, but I like the actual tracks), because you're raised up on the curb and have way more visibility all around. We went to the arcade place on Mass ave and the cars were parked so close to the line that doors looked like a huge problem and the road curves down so much at the gutter so you'd have an even harder time seeing around SUVs. Interested to see how they do with snow."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how Beacon St and Inman Sq turn out. I think the Beacon cycletrack is pretty good so far, there are obviously a lot of right-hook opportunities but I think in most places they did a decent job using bump-outs at the intersections to mitigate that. It does suck how (at least for now) it just unceremoniously dumps you into a regular bike lane for a few blocks, then again at Washington/Kirkland.

The Inman Sq redesign [pdf] looks pretty cool, though I was hoping for the peanutabout.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2018

Yeah, that looks pretty reasonable I guess. Peanutabout would have been great for spectating confused people from punjabi dhaba tho

Saw a proposal for davis that gets rid of the short cuts to make a regular 4-way intersection and was kind of bummed because that's kind of boring compared with the current batshit design, but I guess that's way fewer crossing points and a lot more pedestrian space."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    mmmmmmm Punjabi Dhaba...

I saw the Davis Sq thing too, sounds like it's probably gonna happen? My feelings about it mirror yours.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    So I just now rode Ames St (Main to Broadway) and what they changed it AGAIN so now there's a 2-way cycletrack on the East-ish side of the street which I think is great but i'm not sure?

the intersection with Broadway is now confusing 'cause bikes are kinda pinned to the right side with right-turning traffic.

But there is now a bicycle passthrough from there to Binney which rocks. Except it just dumps you onto the sidewalk on Binney....................+/-DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2018

why can't they just leave Ames the fuck alone? It's not that bad with just regular lanes? Not like it's a busy street.

There are so few times a 2 way cycle track makes sense in a normal street network, ugh. That's like the only plan they ever put out now in Buffalo, but the engineers are so stupid and undertrained they get hung up on integrating them into intersections and draw the design process out so long that nothing ever gets implemented at all. My street go repaved 2 years ago now and they STILL haven't painted any lines at all on it (like not even a center line) because they decided they want a 2-way cycle track for 1/4 mile of it (seasonal, of course. They'll take away the plastic things for half the year so you either have to cross the road twice to have 2 oncoming traffic lanes on either side with no barrier or use the narrow car-only lane). Fuck this garbage idea."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2018

unless the road is also only 1/4 mile, that sounds tremendously stupid (and even then, the seasonal aspect sounds dumb)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2018

Spoiler alert: the road in question goes all the fuck the way across town."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha, but not at all haha

Ames is even more stupid because the party they keep fucking with is one block long. Now, there's a lot going on in that one block, but it's still one. block. And I will say I probably only kinda liked it because I was going in the direction where I didn't have to cross the street twice.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2018

All of these reasons are why vehicular cycling was even a thing. Sigh.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2018

yeah but like actual cycle tracks are amazing and have existed for a long-ass time, that's all 95% of us want! Just fuckin do it right, ffs"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    End of year is nigh. Deadlines, my experiments stopped working, holiday stuff/events, kid parties (MinierFries is 4 today!), more deadlines, etc etc etc.

But I think I broke through the stress wall last night, where I am now too stressed to even care about how stressed I am. So that's good right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2018

Nice, like a runner's high for stress?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha that's a great analogyDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This could easily be filed under TIL (or, yesterday I loved, anyway) but TINSHIFA seems more honest: There was a concert at my older daughter's school last night, and my kid seemed to have elected herself the chair of the one woman boredom-staving-off committee... she was non-stop interpretive dancing through the first of her class's two songs. It was hilarious, but also a little embarrassing.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2019

i like it (as someone in no way involved)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2019

"woman"? How old is your kid that's dancing when they're not supposed to during a class song (if I'm reading that right)? lol"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    haha. I feel you, but I'm sure you weren't the only one appreciating the extra entertainment.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Gauging from people's responses it was definitely enjoyed during an otherwise pretty dry concert. Not sure if this link will work, but one of the other parents captured part of her shenanigans (starts around 25 seconds in). I have to admit it remains fairly hilarious almost a week later. She's a ham.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXot94LUsE3KWfD69
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2019

you don't put a bridle on a unicornThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haahaha that is awesome
    a_lion:you don't put a bridle on a unicorn

yassDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2019

I really like the Jim & Margery show on WGBH, but it seems like Jim Braude has been somewhat ani-bike recently. They were talking about the study that just came out saying that Boston is the most congested city in the country, and a caller suggested that one of the ways to combat that it is to encourage more bike transportation. Jim basically said he didn’t agree because biking is too dangerous unless it’s on a cycle track, and Boston streets are too narrow to build them. I heard him say in another show that he was recently almost run over by a biker, so I kind of get where it’s coming from, but still
    oh man i am so fed up with the "too dangerous" crapDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2019

"I'm scared to ride or walk around my city because of cars, better drive instead"

I never got how people seriously entertain that stupid, cowardly idea."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019

i'd settle for people saying biking's too scary to at least become strong, effective advocates for better funded transit, but that's never even on their radar, just building some more highwayThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019

yeah, but instead they mean "people who ride bikes are crazy and we shouldn't make it easier because only fringe lunatics would ride bikes get a car""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2019

my mom's been internet dating, and the last guy gave her cds that he wrote the music, and the lyrics are poems his now-dead wife wrote. eeeeshThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    whoa.

I mean that's kind of sweet to do, UNTIL you give them to someone you're dating.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2019

first date! get to know my dead wife's emotions through her poetry!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    holyshit FIRST DATE?!

This is like, something that Dan Savage would talk about- it isn't a bad thing at all, but rolling it out on the first date shows a profound lack of judgement.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2019

haha agreed. i don't think she's seeing him again.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2019

Poor guy. I'll bet he has no idea that that's creepy at all.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2019

Long story short: the local bike advocacy organization basically gave up trying to get the city to give a shit and is focusing on being an events-based organization, but they won't hire anyone who knows how to plan events and communicate effectively. They decided to make a womxn's bike fest this year and set a date that only left a few months of planning. There's been 2 meetings total and almost zero communication. I managed to get GEORGENA FUCKIN TERRY to give a talk (FOR FREE), when she agreed to it she said she would speak for an hour. They just put the schedule up that gives her 45 minutes (flat fix demo gets an hour) and I'm so mad I'm ready to cut ties with this group entirely. Buffalo's a disaster guys, don't bother. Pick any other city."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That's incredibly disheartening.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D