Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c03/h04/mnt/49019/domains/bostonfixed.us/html/forum/extensions/Signatures/default.php on line 86

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nfs/c03/h04/mnt/49019/domains/bostonfixed.us/html/forum/extensions/Signatures/default.php on line 86

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019

They changed her time to an hour after I said something, but come on folks. Basic shit here"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Whoa, first off, that's amazing (scoring Terry), and second, WTF?

Simple solution: make the flat fixing demo 45 minutes and give GT the hour she asked for?

TINSHIFA: In other things people on boards do that don't make that much sense, the former chair of the school board submitted a melodramatic letter yesterday saying she won't be taking the oath of office (in the four way race she came in first, beating me by one vote). Basically that we suck now that people who share her perspective aren't in the majority. The funny thing is, sure, we seized power, but I was all set to accept her continuing on in the one role she probably really wanted (being one of two people from our board on the transitional board that will lay the groundwork for merger) in the interest of not having this all be super partisan and moving things along.

But no, she decided to up and quit instead. The thing I like least was in doing so she dissed our newly elected chair (they were pretty close in the past), going so far as to list off people she was honored to serve with (what I call her "Pantheon of Stooges") and leaving the new chair off the list. I mean, sure, I knew she hates me and wasn't going to list me as someone she had enjoyed serving with, but dissing the other lady really was uncalled for. What really makes me nuts is that she mentioned how she'd been board chair since 2013 - fucking five years with the same a-hole in power? We're supposed to be trustees, and we have one person in a close relationship with the principal. The optics of that are really problematic (keep in mind, the town government was similarly run by a small group of people, including former chairs husband, and on their watch dog license checks didn't get deposited for years, and the IRS wasn't getting paid payroll taxes).
    holy cow. may the bridges she burns light her way?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2019

yikes, what a baby lol

at least maybe you won't have to deal with that bullshit now that they quit?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Hopefully it'll make things a good deal more pleasant.

Downside is I'm getting the sense she did a lot of the work herself, so I'm likely going to have to do a lot more (more meetings).
    So, I was going to be all "Hey, I got the Team Slow Bike jersey in a photo in a local paper!" but then I read the article.

Woo-hoo!

These are the risks a person takes when they quickly dash off responses to a local reporter's questions and let them have at it. Maybe I shouldn't have emphasized trivia so much?

My feeling is reporters always get one thing wildly wrong. He totally ignored the part where I said I was riding the 32 miler at the suggestion of a fellow dad I'm riding it with. If it were just me I'd sign up for the 62 miler, get lost at some point, then bonk, and spend the rest of the ride feeling like an idiot for not doing the 32 miler and having a nice time. With the 32 I'll finish, have a bite, feel good, then wonder why I didn't do the 62. The 32 is clearly the smarter choice, but I've never let that stop me before.

https://www.reformer.com/stories/morris-chooses-30-mile-tour-de-heifer-ride,574738
    hahaha, TSB! Yeah he really latched on to the trivia.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I should've leaned into it a bit more I guess, they said they were running a story about three people riding in this year's Tour de Heifer so I figured I'd just be in among others and maybe they'd say I was on the school board. I didn't know I was getting my own little thing that they'd put... effort... into? I haven't seen it but my wife's friend has the actual paper and says its a big photo.

I hate pie. That's another thing they got wrong. But I appreciate their attempt to continue the Trivial Pursuit jokes.
    wait what the fuck?! get off my lawn, pie rules.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019

surprisefries:wait what the fuck?! get off my lawn, pie rules.
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    More specifically, pie crust is disgusting, IMHO.

I approve of a handful of pie fillings.

I'm more of a cake person myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019

Double wut?! Pie crust is one of humankind's greatest creations!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019

pie crust is often my favorite part of the pie! (cake is also generally fantastic though)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha maybe you have just had only shitty pie crusts? Like I wonder how many kids think they don't like apples because at school they only get shitty red delicious.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Good ones exist somewhere, but they’re really hard to come by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I've seen some wrong opinions in my time, but imagine just announcing on the internet you don't like pie lmao

in related news I had a cherry pie flavored vegan donut today and it was excellent (not union sq quality, but about as good as you can get out here)"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    mmmmm

y'know a long time ago Tim did give me permission to edit any of his posts, so...i *could* fix this.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I cannot be silenced, even with pie!!!

I mean, I guess I could be silenced. Even with a pie. But that would be unpleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2019

that's such bullshit. Even if she had " entered the roadway from the sidewalk behind the Jeep", how tf is it not the driver's responsibility to look out their own fucking window. Also fuck non-handicap, non-commercial loading zone street parking even existing there. Fuck everything"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019 edited

I was all stoked to rent a cabin for short camping trip. I thought I read through all their pages on it, and then only on the final checkout page it says you can only rent cabins in 7 day blocks (booo)(also why even list a daily rate if you can't do that?). Like, who tf even gets a whole week off? This is america. On the plus side I got tent space #420"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    smoke trees among the treeeeeesDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

I’m not going to stop doing bike races until I get bib # 420.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

A worthy goal! Speaking of which, can you actually buy weed in Mass yet? Legal weed is so common here that one of my board members wants to throw a weed party fundraiser. Eep.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yep, there are a few dispensaries open- I think most of them (at least in the Boston area) are medical dispensaries that got licensed to sell recreational too, like NETA in Brookline. There are definitely a lot more in the licensing process.

It's not 420 but I did luck out at the Turkey Trot last year- though it's running so who cares.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2019

Brilliant
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2019 edited

For "whatever reason" there are a number of "adult use" dispensaries in Western MA and the Berkshires. Amherst, Northampton, Easthampton, Greenfield, 2 in Pittsfield I think, Lee, uh... Fitchburg and Leominster and I think two in the Worcester area? Obviously the latter ones are Central Mass, but still.

I think I'm forgetting about some. It's funny because there's the one in Brookline, one in Newton, one in Salem... and I think that's still it in the immediate Boston area (Uxbridge!)

So, still not many in Middlesex or Suffolk. But they're coming. Frankly some of the "whatever reason" is likely less red tape and more interest in jobs and tax revenue in the hinterlands.
    PS: But MA doesn't allow social consumption sites... yet. It's been approved and will no doubt start somewhere as soon as they get final approval from the Control Commission.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2019

I don't believe WA has social consumption sites either, to the chagrin of stoners everywhere. But there's a dispensary on like every block. I live on a fucking island and there are two within a five minute drive.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    good lord. I guess fewer lines then at least? Do you think the market there can sustain that density?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2019 edited

I haven't been to the Northampton one in awhile, and only been to the Easthampton once. Both of those allow reserve ahead where you don't have to wait in a real line, which is what I did, but truthfully, it's been awhile since the Northampton one has had any real outside line for the walk-up people. Last time I was there it looked like a short wait inside the store. Easthampton had no line when I was there. Truth be told the early days with lines was kinda fun, people were excited.

Greenfield I've gone to a number of times. Once they had enough people (5 or 6) to justify making people wait outside. Normally, no line of any sort. At the same time, they don't seem to lack for business. Always people going in and out, in and out. There was a time when I was a little worried about them, but they probably do a brisk business selling pre-rolls. They're backed by a mega corp anyway, so I'm sure they can float it for awhile.

Frankly I know a lot of the business at the Western MA places is out of state people. Vermont, CT, NY... people go out of their way and/or stop in on their weekend trip. I'm going to guess NY is the reason there are like, 8 in the Berkshires alone (I forgot to list Stockbridge, Great Barrington).

The prices are kinda crappy compared to a decent connection on the black market, but lots of people don't have a decent connection. And hey, business hours!

I stopped by Greenfield the other day, and I'm 99% sure I passed the husband of my daughter's hebrew school teacher going in as I was leaving.
    haha nice

I hear the NETA in Brookline is still having substantial lines, but you get to skip them if you have a medical card. And also not pay the tax.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Yeah, people with med cards don't wait, and they don't pay taxes, and they aren't subject to limits in the same way.

Still better prices on the black market, but it is what it is.
    I thought they were trying to more-or-less peg prices to the black market?

Either way I'd bet it's probably, for many/most people, worth paying a bit more for the variety, reliability, etc.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2019

The weed is so cheap out here. Apparently. I'm not really a weed guy.

Downside: the earth is trying to kill us. We had a 4.6 magnitude earthquake last night that I completely slept through. I'm not sure how I feel about that.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Yikes!

Eh, for people who only buy a little here and there the price is about what they'd likely pay a dealer, or would have anyway, before retail sales (prices dropped dramatically on the black market). From what I've seen the quality at the dispensaries varies widely (strangely, there are some I think have good extracts, and some with good flower, so far haven't found one with both). Still, it's a business with reliable hours and you don't have to "know someone" et cetera. And they do have variety.

If I remember correctly, Washington state regulated dispensaries, but not grow operations? I think that's what completely gutted prices for growers. Go figure, MA regulated everything. If, and it's a big if, prices are ever going to come down, there'll have to be a lot more dispensaries/more grow operations/etc.
    ^^Holy moly glad you're okay! Fortunately when I was in SoCal we never had any bigger than a little tremor, in LA County anyway. So it was kind of fun and not terrifying.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2019

TINSHIFA my roommate has taken to using a few layered coffee filters (we don't even have a coffee machine) as a plateThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTime7 days ago

uhhhhh yiiiikes wut. Because they won't do dishes? So they get paper fibers all over their food and it soaks through and makes a mess? Hard to see the appeal here"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime7 days ago

she has one small pot and strainer she uses to make pasta, then leaves in the sink until i put it in the dishwasher and run it, and in the intervening days she mooostly only has boost protein shakes, but yeah for a slice of cake or whatever, it's coffee filters (for the pasta she uses paper plates, although we have, y'know, real plates)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Never again to roommates for me, though this means spending SO much money on housingWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    People having (hands-free) phone conversations while riding. It really annoys me for some reason, but I recognize it's probably an overreaction?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTime3 days ago

if it's hands-free, i guess it's maybe not much worse than the intense discussions i'm having with myself half the time?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    haha, also guilty of thatDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D