Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

nerdo:Kind of a cool concept, psychologically. But I'm thinking about how this conversation is going to unfold:

LADY: "Hi, is that a tattoo?"
    CRAIG: "Yeah, check it out!"
    LADY: "Um, the words and colors don't match."
    CRAIG: "GTFO DUMDUM"
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^EVAN WINS.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

Update: I just described your tattoo idea to a friend and she said the following: "I almost fell asleep listening to the explanation." Then we decided that you should instead get a tattoo of that old woman / young woman optical illusion instead.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    done by lucky at fat ram's

(please excuse me for the poor physique and suggestive images)

^ Wow. My jaw is on the floor. That is some really nice work, and a kick-ass concept/graphic.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

the crows are scared of your thunder"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Craig! Don't listen to them! I have one of the most boring/prentious tattoos. It makes people want to slit their wrists with boredom whenever they ask, "What does that mean?" If you like it, GET IT! Just get ready to come up with some other story about what it is/means for when people ask...and make it REALLY absurd and see how many people fall for it! "Oh, that? Well, it is an abstract rendition of menstral flow that just really speaks to me as a male-oppressor of the female-gendered experience. It's hard being me sometimes, because I am so into art. Now go away, I am busy thinking." You'll get crazy chicks with a response like that!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ^HA that was great..made for a good laugh.

gary, pretty cool, any special meaning to it?
    i'm extremely impressed by the symmetry.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    thanks.
    symmetry is always hard since i never really stand straight.
    mostly just the various mythical significance associated with ravens/carrion birds
    questions i always get from people:
    re the death head moth on my shin
    "are you a serial killer of something?'
    i always want to respond, 'yeah, and you're next'

and on my collarbone piece
    them 'what does it say?'
    me 'misanthropos'
    'what does that mean?'
    'etymology of "misanthropy"'
    'ok...what does that mean?'
    basically i just want to respond 'it means we probably won't be friends'
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I love explaining the XXX on my leg. I usually just say I'm a moonshiner. Or, a big Vin Diesel fan.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    I always tell people my Maggot Brain tattoo is "Oprah, in her early years."All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

ps, those birds rule. Getting such a heavy 'dark' coloring, without it looking totally washed, is impressive. That's a damn fine work.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    one was done a week ago, the other done this morning
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Those are amazing, Gary. Where is the illustration from?

Also, Craig, I'm just busting on you. I'm sure it'll be cool, and all the art girls will be way into it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    My dream situation for me explaining a tattoo to a girl is a gender-reversed James Bond Octopussy scene.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

The real goal is to get so covered you pretty much just look like a burn victim so no one can pick any one thing out to ask you dumb questions about. I'm working on that.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012 edited

^Then again, that strategy creates its own problems.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i wonder how well making out with a person who has whiskers implanted in their face goes.

i'd also like to see a brain map for the sensory nerves in their face and see how much it has expanded relative to a normal brain map due to the increased sensory input from their whiskers.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

He was in an x files episode.
    I'm not sure where the downside is.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    when the ink bleeds and the puzzle pieces are indecipherablesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    nerdo:^Then again, that strategy creates its own problems.

doesn't kim know him?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    @ gary, the early bird get's the worm, heh?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012

mrotown:He was in an x files episode.
    I'm not sure where the downside is.
    a good one, too!dongpincher 1000
    nerdo:Those are amazing, Gary. Where is the illustration from?

from nowhere in particular. just lucky's own ideas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

also, i just got laser done and you'd probably be fine with those.dongpincher 1000
    danny, you got laser hair removal done over tattoos?

details please
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

not over them, no, but I think you have enough clearance between them to get it done.
    You don't want to do it directly over because the laser is drawn to darker pigment (ie, hair follicles)dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

xbobeahenx:Or, a big Vin Diesel fan.

HAHAHAHAHAHALOOLLOOLOLOLMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    DQ related to a tattoo i'm looking to do:
    does anyone have a good, comprehensive font/typography book? i'm looking for german/swiss book-print fonts, post-enlightenmen to pre-unification era (1750-1880). NOT the stereotypical 'olde english'/'gothic' font that everyone falls back on

i know some of you went to art and design schools, and mid-2000s wasn't everyone geeking out about typography and jocking helvetica?
    so, this was my "Friday the 13th" special this time around. i'm pretty fucking stoked I got someone to come in and get this done.

also, if you don't know what it's from, we're never gonna hang out.
    flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    also, hi boston!

i've missed you.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.

done by lucky at fat ram's earlier today. some of the ink right on the knee cap is already falling out.

also, i can't take straight pictures or angle myself properly
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012 edited

Sturm und Drang (conventionally translated as "Storm and Stress") is a proto-Romantic movement in German literature and music taking place from the late 1760s through the early 1780s, in which individual subjectivity and, in particular, extremes of emotion were given free expression in reaction to the perceived constraints of rationalism imposed by the Enlightenment and associated aesthetic movements.

I always associated German + that font with Nazis/White Power.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012 edited

My first thought was Wagner, specifically Tristan und Isolde.
    "I love you. We can't be together because the man is keeping us down. Let's die."
    It seems fitting for Gary. (I mean that in a good way.)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    thinly veiled harry potter referenceYou're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    ^^^...yeah, NO. that's the font that's on the cover page of the 1776 f.m.klinger play 'sturm und drang'', the font closely resembles 'franktur', also the 'S' is not the runic/lightning bolt SS 's', and it's not 'olde english/gothic' with the typical detroit tiger's 'D'. from what i've seen most nazi propaganda font is a cross between 'gothic' and the sort of post-ww1/post-dada/art neuveau font.

it's more of a 'fuck you' to the enlightenment and their thoughts on rationality and reason
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012

looks fucking sweet.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    conor! for mod:thinly veiled harry potter reference
    YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited

kilgore_trout:^^^...yeah, NO. that's the font that's on the cover page of the 1776 f.m.klinger play 'sturm und drang'', the font closely resembles 'franktur', also the 'S' is not the runic/lightning bolt SS 's', and it's not 'olde english/gothic' with the typical detroit tiger's 'D'. from what i've seen most nazi propaganda font is a cross between 'gothic' and the sort of post-ww1/post-dada/art neuveau font.

it's more of a 'fuck you' to the enlightenment and their thoughts on rationality and reason

Nazi's officially used Antiqua, after banning Fraktur due to it's "jewish origins". src.dongpincher 1000
    banana truffles:
    conor! for mod:thinly veiled harry potter reference

i don't get it.

also danny, thank you.
    however the 'D' looks too much like the deathwish 'D'
    there's a nordic-y wizarding school called 'durmstrang'.

it's getting near time for another tattoo, but i have no idea what i want. or, i have a couple tattoos lined up, but they're not where i want to get tattooed right now.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor! for mod:there's a nordic-y wizarding school called 'durmstrang'.

it's getting near time for another tattoo, but i have no idea what i want. or, i have a couple tattoos lined up, but they're not where i want to get tattooed right now.

ohhh right! they come to hogwarts along with the all-girls french school in the goblet of fire, right? also, i'm pretty sure the durmstrang school is bulgarian

conor, just be like me and get a bunch of literary tattoos
    #nerds
    thinking of getting a rimbaud/berrigan-inspired thigh piece. i really want something for my forearm, though.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    right now i've got 4 1/2 literary-themed tattoos, with plans in the works for 'the stranger', 'waiting for godot', and kurt vonnegut (obvs) pieces, and will likely get my entire right ribs and right upper thigh with a massive 'moby dick'/melville themed piece. also, potentially 'watership down' and another gustav dore wood engraving
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

I fully support your tattoo plans, Gary, and I hope we meet one day.
    Also, I think I just designed a chest piece last night while talking about how Homo sapiens are misnamed and are actually Homo solvens. The visual concept involves an abstract ourosboros.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    i always thought 'nolite te bastardes carborundorum' would be a rad chestpiece, but i haven't read the handmaid's tale.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    ^i've seen that as a tattoo before, just makes me think of
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSo-_TavE1U
    conor! for mod:i always thought 'nolite te bastardes carborundorum' would be a rad chestpiece, but i haven't read the handmaid's tale.

That is the motto of the bike shop i worked at last summer.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    kilgore_trout:...the stranger...

What sort of art work?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.