Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

i am loathe to surrender the chariot to a bike shop, but i fear it is not well.

i have a recurring audible click on my driveside; doesn't happen every revolution of my cranks, but if i'm putting serious torque down (say up a hill or accelerating from a stand) it goes click. I've eliminated the following suspects:

chain: (replaced it, dressed the new one in chain-l. smells petroleum-y)
    spider: have removed, greased, and reset my stack bolts
    seatpost: removed, greased, reset.

i don't have sufficient tooling to remove the cranks or BB, but i since I can't feel the click, only hear it, I am not convinced that either of them are loose. i had the cranks reseated a few months ago to fix a slipping problem on the spindle. I don't feel any slippage or looseness when doing a trackstand either.
    drop your bike science on me, or bid me to visit a shop.
    I've had the same thing on two different occasions, once I could actually feel the click in my feet and that turned out a slightly loose BB bolt on the drive side. The other time It was happening only under higher torque and I just ignored it until it went away (like that rash...) and I chalked it up to a newer chain on an old chainring and cog.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

what kinda bb is it? sealed or unsealed? if its unsealed it could be pitting on the bearing race or some debris in there.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthormauspad

How about your driveside pedal?
    You said it doesn't click on every revolution, only when you're torquing - then does it click on every crank or is the cadence different?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:You said it doesn't click on every revolution, only when you're torquing - then does it click on every crank or is the cadence different?

the click's cadence matches my stroke cadence, but doesn't sound for every turn. i also find that if i try to shift force laterally in or outward with my shoe, the click alters a little, so i'm wondering if it's not a loose BB bolt.

i thought maybe i had a bent tooth or something on the chainring, but if i'm just cruising at a good clip the click is less common, so i'm doubting it's the ring.

tiny:How about your driveside pedal?

not sure. feels fine, don't have a pedal wrench.

eBAUMANN:what kinda bb is it? sealed or unsealed? if its unsealed it could be pitting on the bearing race or some debris in there.

embarrassed to say i can't answer this with certainty. the bb is the stock FSA, i'm guessing sealed.
    mauspad:

shit's infuriating
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

stilgar:What I mean by that is that the little shell that holds them in slowly unwinds just a little from the bb shell. If you can find someone with a crank puller, its a simple matter of removing the cranks and torquing the little cups on the bb.

This reminds me, earlier this week my former roommate called and said the chain on his bike was so tight that he couldnt ride it, the wheel wouldnt turn and he was now walking it home, rear wheel held off the ground. I thought this sounded ridiculous so I told him to bring it over for me to take a look at. At first, it felt/sounded like the tire was rubbing on the frame somewheres, but then I looked again and almost fell over. The drive side bb cup had almost completely unscrewed itself, sucking the ND side crank arm into the bb shell of the frame, the thing was a few cranks away from catastrophic failure. I added a link to his chain and re-tensioned it, added some loctite to the bb cups (miche) and sent him on his way.

Moral of the story: dont over-tighten your chain with an italian threaded miche bb, it will fuck your shit up.RIDE METAL
    stilgar:this happens to my bike about once a year, you need to either do one of the following:

Replace bb (unlikely)
    repack and retighten bb (most likely)

I have an aluminum bike, and do a lot of hill climbing/track standing which puts a lot of pressure on the bb, the fact that the bb is steel and the frame is not, combined with my abuse leads to the damn things loosening up. What I mean by that is that the little shell that holds them in slowly unwinds just a little from the bb shell. If you can find someone with a crank puller, its a simple matter of removing the cranks and torquing the little cups on the bb.

Either that of you have bb gnomes, and the only way to get rid of them is to kill them with fire.

yeah, that's exactly the kind of abuse i put this beast through.

besides a crank puller, what other tools do i need?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

carnot_engine:
    stilgar:this happens to my bike about once a year, you need to either do one of the following:

Replace bb (unlikely)

I have an aluminum bike, and do a lot of hill climbing/track standing which puts a lot of pressure on the bb, the fact that the bb is steel and the frame is not, combined with my abuse leads to the damn things loosening up. What I mean by that is that the little shell that holds them in slowly unwinds just a little from the bb shell. If you can find someone with a crank puller, its a simple matter of removing the cranks and torquing the little cups on the bb.

Either that of you have bb gnomes, and the only way to get rid of them is to kill them with fire.

yeah, that's exactly the kind of abuse i put this beast through.

probably a bbt-22(park) bottom bracket tool, if it is in fact an FSA sealed bb.RIDE METAL
    having dealt with this a lot at the shop, and since you have a sealed bb, it's probably not that unless you can feel a wiggle. same goes for the cranks - no wiggle, unlikely its the problem. but torque both down just in case.

more likely, your whole drive chain is probably worn down.

replacing the chain isnt enough.

you need to replace the chainring and cog. teeth aren't meshing properly, this is only noticeable under serious torque.

xo
    eBAUMANN:

probably a bbt-22(park) bottom bracket tool, if it is in fact an FSA sealed bb.

ok. i will pick one of these up.
    • CommentAuthorgc

just go to broadway bicycle school where they will rent you tools & provide you instruction.gone
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G

eBAUMANN:
    stilgar:What I mean by that is that the little shell that holds them in slowly unwinds just a little from the bb shell. If you can find someone with a crank puller, its a simple matter of removing the cranks and torquing the little cups on the bb.

This reminds me, earlier this week my former roommate called and said the chain on his bike was so tight that he couldnt ride it, the wheel wouldnt turn and he was now walking it home, rear wheel held off the ground. I thought this sounded ridiculous so I told him to bring it over for me to take a look at. At first, it felt/sounded like the tire was rubbing on the frame somewheres, but then I looked again and almost fell over. The drive side bb cup had almost completely unscrewed itself, sucking the ND side crank arm into the bb shell of the frame, the thing was a few cranks away from catastrophic failure. I added a link to his chain and re-tensioned it, added some loctite to the bb cups (miche) and sent him on his way.

Moral of the story: dont over-tighten your chain with an italian threaded miche bb, it will fuck your shit up.

Fuck Miche bottom brackets. Mine constantly moves on it's own. I've loctite'd it now and it's better, but still annoying. I feel like in the past, Craig has expressed the same opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

My BB is also a creak machine, with a lot of the same symptoms you've described. But one more thing I've found - it stops in the rain. Whenever it's wet out, the creak almost disappears unless I'm torquing real hard, up allston st, say.
    BRlAN Q G:
    eBAUMANN:

Moral of the story: dont over-tighten your chain with an italian threaded miche bb, it will fuck your shit up.

Fuck Miche bottom brackets. Mine constantly moves on it's own. I've loctite'd it now and it's better, but still annoying. I feel like in the past, Craig has expressed the same opinion.

I learned to love mine. a little loctite made a world of difference.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

this happens to my bike about once a year, you need to either do one of the following:

Replace bb (unlikely)

Either that of you have bb gnomes, and the only way to get rid of them is to kill them with fire.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

also to clarify the whole aluminum/steel thing, its because the metals heat and cool at different temps which over time leads to the expansion/contraction cycles slowly but surely loosening the bb, combined with the punishment I give it just makes it worse.this wont hurt a bit...
    This might sound a little crazy, but check your seat rails. Take apart the seatpost assembly and grease the rails and all of the contact points (including the bolts) as well as where the rails are attached to the saddle. I had a tick that took me a while to diagnose and that it what it turned out to be on my bike.
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010

tiny:How about your driveside pedal?

On my shitty ten speed rainbike I have a ton of clicks and pops. Somehow or another the drive side pedal is in the crank arm at an angle (cross threaded? stuck? don't know, never bothered to try and fix it >_>) and makes a clicking noise every time I put pressure on it. I happens during normal riding, but is much louder when under more force climbing. Try pedaling with only your left, then only your right foot, see if that helps narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Also, I don't understand why, because my pedal is at an angle causing my ankle to wiggle left/right as I pedal, it's always my left knee that hurts after riding hard on the bike...