Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

wickedfastbike:what can the 8 sp hub be rigged to for shifting?

Looks like trigger, gripshift, or barend.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010

My new coworker asked me if I had any ideas how to help her with building a road-style bike that will accommodate certain physical disabilities. She currently rides a custom hybrid that runs both the front and rear brakes and shifters on the left side, as she can't use her right arm without looking directly at it. She also can't turn her head fully to the left or right or get her chin all the way to her shoulders and speedy neck motions back and forth are impossible.

I strongly advised her against riding in Boston, snow + limited vision + only being able to apply both brakes at once = getting hurt. She understands and agrees but plans to drive the bike away from the city somewhere there is a path and far fewer unpredictable hazards. Supposedly her disability is getting better, and she has her eyes set on eventually competing in a road race. Rad!

So how can we help her? Seems like the people here would have good ideas or perhaps have knowledge of what others have done in the past in similar situations. She mentioned feeling comfortable on spin class bikes, and also might need to strap her arms onto her bars with some kind of quick releasing mechanism when riding outdoors. I know it sounds foolish to attempt, but also like an opportunity for a fun, creative build to help someone enjoy an awesome sport.

My first thought was a fixed gear with a front brake, bypassing the limitations of the right hand by allowing her to use her legs as rear brake. Then I thought that a coaster brake might be more realistic. Do they make 3 or more speeds with coaster hubs that don't weigh 60 lbs? Also, drops are probably not feasible, but to speed up the bike and make the riding angle more aggressive, I was thinking bullhorns, trekking, or mustache bars.

Advice?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    tricycle
    ^^You've got an interesting project there. I'll have to think on it.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    Why would only being able to apply both brakes at once be so dangerous?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited

'cause if something happens to your one brake lever, both your brakes are gone. also I think there might be some conditions in which it's safer to engage the rear brake before the front brake if you've got both, like on sand or ice, but don't quote me on that.

i agree that drop bars should be ruled out for the time being. plus, it would probably be dangerous for her just to go from the tops to the drops if she has trouble coordinating hand/arm movements. mustache bars + mirrors? maybe a multi-speed coaster brake plus a front brake on the left side? heavy, though, but it sounds like safety considerations are the most important issue.

i edited this post 39343409 times, sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Both brakes at once is insane stopping power that turns a potential emergency into a wipe-out, the dual fail factor, and ice and soft-packed dirt with skinny wheels.

I think mustache with coaster and left front makes the most sense. Is that possible to be rigged up on a road bike? I have no experience with coaster hubs. Also, can coasters be geared yet still reliable? Sturmey Archer, why did you fail us?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC137465
    Don't know about reliability... And also, $$$$$!
    • CommentAuthorgc

there are plenty of options for mobility impaired people- hand cycles, recumbents of all flavors, tricycles, etc etc

something like this:

or this:
    gone
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

what can the 8 sp hub be rigged to for shifting?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorslowski

I just built a custom adult tricycle for a person with impaired mobility, and I would recommend going that route. even if they plan on eventually going to 2 wheels it'll be a lot easier to work out the details without any incidents that could possibly sway them away from following their dream.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

She can already ride her hybrid, she just wants something faster. You would never know she had any disability at all unless she told/showed you."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorgemathy

I loved + miss my coaster brake! She'll have fun with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

coaster brake with a front brake seems to be an ideal combo for her. maybe get her helmet and bar end mirrors too.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

tiny:
    wickedfastbike:what can the 8 sp hub be rigged to for shifting?

Looks like trigger, gripshift, or barend.

I just realized that shifting might be hard for her if she only has full use of one hand, and that hand also controls the front brake. Grip shifters might be the best option so she doesn't have to take either hand off the bars to shift, and I don't know if that jives with any of the bars that have been mentioned so far.
    Hopefully my post will actually go at the bottom of the thread this time: it looks like trekking bars will work with gripshift (or, at least that's what people in a bikeforums thread said).
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited

It should be possible to set up a road bike with drop bars for left-had everything, if that's what the customer wants.
    If you wanted to run two brakes from any lever, there exists a "problem solvers" 1-2 inline adapter. polo tested, pretty durable.

budd bike works makes a custom adapter that allows mounting a DT or thumb shift lever onto road bars (paul also makes something similar). pair one of those with a left/rear brifter, and all the road bike functions are now on the left side. Alternatively, bullhorn bars with a left brifter and a barend shifter will do the same thing.

Also, with limited head movement, mirrors would be a must.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

Gadayum, there are some good ideas flowing here. Now to find her budget...."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

wickedfastbike:She can already ride her hybrid, she just wants something faster. You would never know she had any disability at all unless she told/showed you.

grey ham:
    there are plenty of options for mobility impaired people- hand cycles, recumbents of all flavors, tricycles, etc etc
    or this:

I once rode with a guy riding this. He told me how much faster he was on this trike than he was on a road bike. I was skeptical until I rode with him down Comm Ave. We rode for about a block going my fastest on a road bike until he decided to go ahead and blasted way ahead of me. He had a safety flag, took the lane, and looked like a go-kart going as fast as traffic. He was FAST.

Also, nice meeting you the other day.theHum