Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010 edited

in july of 2012 i'm circumnavigating ireland. biking around the Great Lakes.
    i want to do about 1500 miles.

i want to do it me plus one or two other people so who wants to come with?

majority of it would be stealth camping with a few days in each big city spent in a B&B so we can explore without bikes.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    get back on the fucking boat.
    get the stick out of your ass.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i do but probably won't be able to afford it.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  

it's 2012 btw :]
    reason why im postin a year and a half early is because of that^somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    oh.

well, maybe.

i was planning a full us tour for 2012, but actually.

let's talk about this sometime soon, sean.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    sounds good.
    baumann is interested as well.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    just suck it up and do the end to endTake-off everything but your rainboots
    ? if you mean just go coast to coast here, then no. i've only got 2 months to use before april of 2013 for vacation and my family wants to visit my dad's relatives in august 2012 so i'm going to bike around ireland before meeting up with them and my relatives at the end.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land's_End_to_John_o'_GroatsTake-off everything but your rainboots
    ooh, thats be a neat preface to ireland. thanks.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010

i lived in galway for four months, so if you go there and want any recommendations i could help you out.

biking in ireland is great, but the roads are very, very, very narrow and pitch black at night. you get used to being on the left quick. there's no bad place to go in ireland, it's all beautiful that i've seen (except maybe dublin and the surrounding suburbs). my favorite places were connemara and the aran islands.
    •  

awesome, i planned on stayin in galway for a day or two after a century to get there.

what do you think the chances are of [stealth] camping in fields without getting too much flac? i imagine getting permission is good and all but if there aren't any houses around and i'm next to a huge field..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    just stay out of roscomon, considered the most uneducated backwoods part of Ireland, surprisingly it's a breading ground for the IRA and ex-wives.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    Mick:
    what do you think the chances are of [stealth] camping in fields without getting too much flac? i imagine getting permission is good and all but if there aren't any houses around and i'm next to a huge field..

In UK (perhaps just scotland need to check) if the field is unused and you don't have an open fire it's perfectly legalTake-off everything but your rainboots
    from my current route goin from claremorris to ballymoe i make a right downward to moylough..i turn about 10 miles before hittin roscommon..lucky me!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

if you continue down salt hill rd. from galway center, before it intersects with barna rd there's a caravan park with some lawn for tents (and a nice view) that costs 9 euro for cyclists, if that's in your budget. i don't think they care if you camp for a night in some cowfield but just ask first if there's a house nearby. also there's abandoned houses everywhere, so if you really need to be stealthy you could just camp behind one of them.
    thanks boss. i was gonna go B&B for galway so i could stay 2 days and walk around and know my bike is safe indoors, but thatd be a good place for the 2nd night before i head out again, so thank you!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    THIS IS HAPPENING NEXT YEAR. MONTH OF JULY... 2012 FOR THOSE OF YOU WITHOUT A SUN DIAL.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    HECK YES IT ISNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011 edited

craig is a dingelberry and has changed his preparedness to "errr.. [im doing] okay."

so this is a bump to say hey, come explore with me.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012 edited

hokay. so.
    this is the deal.

ireland was proving to be too expensive of an adventure so i'll have to postpone that as a pipedream for a bit longer.
    plan now is something along the lines of this: (maybe shorter, looking at around 1600ish)

points i want to build the trip around:
    niagra falls
    grand rapids (i have old friends there i plan on visiting)
    sleeping bear dunes
    mackinac island
    touching all 5 lakes even if just briefly

bike out, fly back.

so, if anyone is interested in joining, please let me know. and obviously my preference falls on people i know and like as riding buddies.
    figfro is not invited.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Why not start from Boston?

I have a former intern who lives in Buffalo. I could put you in touch with her possibly. She's a cyclist too.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    YOU CAN'T RIDE A BIKE ACROSS A LAKE! YET ALONE A GREAT LAKE
    •  

well, i have a few approach ideas that i have to consider.
    the departure point is a toss up for a few reasons:
    -the apartment that im in right now by DC, ill have until mid july but will be moving out a little earlier, so i could take the c&o
    -ill be in canada in late june for a weekend mountain biking, so where would i put all my gear/car/mtn bike if i dont plan on driving down to ny first.
    -ill be living in ny in august and would rather not have to drive 4 hours after biking for a month if i have to fly back to boston first

id rather start in ny because i wouldnt have to collect a bunch of stuff or close loose ends while on the trip or right when i get back, and my mom could cook me a good pre-ride meal.

and your intern, she cute? ;p

gary, i can if i get a trainer and ride that while im on the ferry. boom.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

She is cute, and smart. And 22. So maybe she's your type?

Where are you going to be in Canada? Why not do a loop around Lake Michigan and drive back instead of buying a plane ticket? I guess the MTB is tricky.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Be warned that that last stretch in the UP is going to be beautiful, but hellish.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    paul jameson:Be warned that that last stretch in the UP is going to be beautiful, but hellish.

explain
    •  

^^^hmm, my age. interesting lol.
    with the projected gas prices for july probably being upward of 4.50 i have a feeling a plane might be cheaper.

as for canada, i'd be in bolton, ontario at albion hills conservation area. and id be carpooling with people who'd need to get back to boston. adding to the mess of driving.

^^yes, explain?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    It seems like a remote last 250 miles if no one else joins, which could work out well, or not-so-well depending. It would probably make me crazy if I was alone. But I'm not speaking from experience or anything, just something to think about.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

You're going right through my hometown. If you wouldn't mind company for only the first stretch up to Niagara, I may be interested in that. I'll have to figure out how to get lightweight camping gear, though.. Sounds like an awesome trip."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  

is there anyone on here who can vouch for you?
    (im not into having a stranger come along. even more so because i wont have a chance to meet you until the departure day.)

thanks pj, definitely something to consider, but i dont think ill be doing this solo if that's what it comes down to.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

I was thinking about a similar trip this summer. But I would not be interested in flying. If that means taking a train out to NY to get a "head start" I'd be down for that, but I'd rather not have to worry about flying and the expenses and complications incurred.
    seanile mick:im not into having a stranger come along.

Oh c'mon Sean, strangers are just axe-murderers you've never met.
    • CommentAuthorben

paul jameson:It seems like a remote last 250 miles if no one else joins, which could work out well, or not-so-well depending. It would probably make me crazy if I was alone. But I'm not speaking from experience or anything, just something to think about.
    I road around lake Michigan the summer of 2008. The UP wasn't bad, just boring.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Also, I like the idea of this but would never be able to get such a huge chunk of time off from work.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo

ben:Also, I like the idea of this but would never be able to get such a huge chunk of time off from work.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorgc

seanile mick:points i want to build the trip around:
    niagra falls
    grand rapids (i have old friends there i plan on visiting)
    sleeping bear dunes
    mackinac island
    touching all 5 lakes even if just briefly
    d.

plan your trip around getting drunk in chicago with conor.gone
    •  

^i have definitely considered that.

tyler, shoot me some ideas if you've got an idea for a decent loop.

and yea it's a big chunk, but this is my first longer-than-2-weeks-off break from college since 09, so im taking advantage of it.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i never thought i'd be able to get that kind of time off until i asked for a leave of absence to tour south america and my boss said "well that's way better than you quitting to do it"
    john, ben. doo itttt. cmon ben, youve had practice too!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben

"Hey guys - I know I've only been here 3 months, but do you mind if I take a month off to ride my bike around some water?"I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    sean, let me know when you're in chicago.

rob, will the intern be at awp?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    yesssssir. chicago isnt a definitive stop yet, though ill do my best to make it happen, i miss you!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^Sadly she will not. She was my intern for last year's AWP and she didn't go then either.

That reminds me, I need to talk to you about business shit. Check your FB.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

seanile mick:is there anyone on here who can vouch for you?
    (im not into having a stranger come along. even more so because i wont have a chance to meet you until the departure day.)

Understandable, I don't know you, either. The timing probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. On a related note, I'll likely be doing this trip up to Niagara in mid-June for a relative's wedding (so dates wouldn't be real flexible), with 1 or 2 other people. Best of luck on the full voyage, I'll probably meet you some other way around town."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    seanile mick:yesssssir. chicago isnt a definitive stop yet, though ill do my best to make it happen, i miss you!

miss you, too, dude! and you should seriously consider checking out chicago. they have a beautiful lakefront path, and the city is a dream to ride in. you should let me know if you end up in detroit, also, because i might head up to see you. i've been meaning to check it out, and from what i hear it's a sweet city to ride in, as well.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    Andy:
    seanile mick:is there anyone on here who can vouch for you?

Understandable, I don't know you, either. The timing probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. On a related note, I'll likely be doing this trip up to Niagara in mid-June for a relative's wedding (so dates wouldn't be real flexible), with 1 or 2 other people. Best of luck on the full voyage, I'll probably meet you some other way around town.
    righto then, good luck with your trip as well. post up some tips if you have time. i'll probably meet ya at some point in the fall then.

conor!:
    seanile mick:yesssssir. chicago isnt a definitive stop yet, though ill do my best to make it happen, i miss you!

miss you, too, dude! and you should seriously consider checking out chicago. they have a beautiful lakefront path, and the city is a dream to ride in. you should let me know if you end up in detroit, also, because i might head up to see you. i've been meaning to check it out, and from what i hear it's a sweet city to ride in, as well.
    ill be dodging detroit at all costs. don't trust it, and especially being on a custom bike. but chicago sounds pretty appealing to be honest.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick: especially being on a custom bike.

Wait, you have another awesome bike...?

ENVY POTENTIALLY GROWING OUT OF CONTROL
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited

i've got a quiros touring and a geekhouse track.

and because ive finally gotten rid of my cannondale/peugeot/downhill and have plans to dump my felt, ive got a deposit down for a horse.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.