Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007

this is from the rivendell guy:

Learn right away that the front brake is the most effective one, and to never lock the front wheel in dirt. Learn how far you can lean over without scraping a pedal.
    Learn to keep the inside pedal UP when you corner, and learn to ride safely in all conditions.
    Signal your approach to pedestrians, especially if they're old, and a bell is better than "On your left!" If no bell, try clacking your brake levers. If all you got is "On your left!" that's fine.
    At least one ride in 10, go without your sunglasses and gloves. Sometime next month, put some double-sided cheap-style pedals on a good bike and ride in non-cycling garb.
    Carry an extra tube you can donate to somebody with a flat tire and just a repair kit.
    If you're a guy, don't try to be a mentor to every female cycler you meet.
    Don't ride in shoes you can't walk through an antique shop in.
    Don't wear clothing that makes your sweat stink even more.
    Don't think you'll go faster in a significant way if you and your bike become more aerodynamic.
    Put a $20 bill inside your seat post or handlebar and hold it there, somehow.
    Don't ride until you're confident you can fix a flat.
    If you ride more than one bike, have a set of bring-along tools for each one. Learn how to remove your rear wheel (put the chain onto the small cog, etc.).
    If you ride in a group, bring food for you and somebody who forgot to.
    Go for a one-hour ride underdressed sometime, because it's good to be really cold on a bike every now and then.
    Never blame your bike or your health or anything else if you're the last one up the hill or in to the rest stop.
    If your brake hoods are black, wrap your bars with a different color tape.
    Never let your chain squeak.
    If you pass another rider going up a hill, say more than "Hi," but if it's a woman and you aren't, don't assume she wants to chit-chat.
    If you're a woman and it's a guy, you can chit-chat all you like.
    If you see another rider approaching you from the rear, trying to catch you, let it happen. Fun is more important than fast.
    Don't put any cycler up on a pedestal, except Lon and Freddie.
    Sometimes, bring normal food on your ride.
    Shoot photos on your rides and give them away.
    Feel comfortable mixing high tech and low tech, old and new parts and technologies, and don't apologize to anybody for it.
    Compliment other people's bikes, especially if they're new.
    Buy the cheapest helmet that fits well.
    Try seersucker shirts for hot weather riding, and long-sleeved ones are best.
    Don't underestimate fig bars. If you get a new widget and like it, don't "swear by it."
    Don't always shop by price and never ask for discounts at your local bike shop. Every time you go into a bike shop, spend at least $2, and if you ask a question and get good advice, spend $5 (get a cable).
    If you buy a rack, don't ask for free installation.
    Don't assume your bike shop is making money.
    Ride only when you feel like it.
    If you know a fast new rider, don't say, "You really ought to race"
    If you see a stocky woman rider, don't suggest she race track.
    Have at least one bike you feel comfortable riding in a downpour.
    Ride in weather that keeps other cyclers indoors.
    Never keep track of your pedaling cadence.
    If you have a normal loop or ride, count the number of times you shift on it; then the next time you ride it, cut that in half and see if it makes any difference.
    Learn to ride no-hands and to hop over obstacles, but not simultaneously.
    Never hit a pedestrian. In traffic, be visible and predictable.
    If you have several bikes, set them up with different equipment but always ride the saddle you like best.
    Don't try to keep up with faster descenders if you're not comfortable descending.
    Never apologize for buying something that's not quite pro quality by saying, "I'm not going to race or anything."
    If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world.
    Don't think it's important to match front and rear hubs or rims.
    If you borrow somebody else's bike, for a short test or a long ride, say something nice about it.
    Always bring a pump.
    Build at least one wheel.
    Wear out something.
    Don't ever describe any bike, no matter how inexpensive or dilapidated, as "a piece of crap."
    If you get a fancy bike assembled by somebody else, allow them a scrape or two, especially if the bike is really expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

if you don't have a bell, just get a chris king hub... it scares the shit out of people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

always rock at least one aerospoke.
    Risers are a must, as well as bar spins, and ridiculous seat anglesclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    -if your scared of cars dont ride at all :) haha
    -if your butt starts to hurt during a ride shift over to one cheek then the other every 15 minutes or so
    -if you dont wear a helmet, thats your choice, dont let others down talk you about it
    -if your girlfriend or boyfriend dosent like bikes or bike riding dont pressure them into it
    -dont try to race every messenger you see, they hate that almost as much as dudes in suites
    -whens cars apprach you from behind, hold your ground, especially in bike lanes.
    -make sure you rock as much hipster flare as you can
    -dont get hit by carsride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

ilikeitfixed:-if your scared of cars dont ride at all :)
    -if your butt starts to hurt during a ride shift over to one cheek then the other every 15 minutes or so
    -if you dont wear a helmet, thats your choice, dont let others down talk you about it
    -if your girlfriend or boyfriend dosent like bikes or bike riding dont pressure them into it
    -dont try to race every messenger you see, they hate that almost as much as dudes in suites
    -whens cars apprach you from behind, hold your ground, especially in bike lanes.
    -dont get hit by cars

-get a proper fitting bike and saddle
    -avoid injuries (this means wearing a helmet and using blinkies) ;-)
    -avoid people who dislike bikes
    -race anyone and every else who rides a bike, cus it shows them that you have a big dick..
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

Morgie:
    -race anyone and every else who rides a bike, cus it shows them that you have a big dick..

that is all.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorgc

quit when its not fun anymore. i try to live by that.gone
    ilikeitfixed:-if your scared of cars dont ride at all :) haha
    -dont get hit by cars

-Don't make fun of you girlfriend just because she doesn't ride as much as you do.
    -Don't be jealous if your girlfriend is getting a better bike then you (the less you tease her the more likely she will be to let you take her whip for a ride)<3 Katty Class
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

-don't ever let mark borrow your whip. he is bike-death
    -dont ever let lauren try to make jokes that arent funny.

and its more like my bike is death
    technically not anymore because all the problems got worked out
    and robs wheel returned safe and sound!ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    • CommentAuthormeatball

<i>Don't wear clothing that makes your sweat stink even more. </i>

this makes no sense to me
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007

if ya ride nekkid yer saddle's gonna smell funny.
    if you live somewhere terrifying to ride, ride even more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

it ain't an adventure 'less it starts in the dark and ends in the dark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

grant peterson makes some rather reasonable suggestions, but it's annoying when people take his more opinionated suggestions as gospel..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited

i used to think rivendell bikes were square, man. now i think they're kinda dope in their own way. i like lookin' at 'em at harris. the lord of the rings thing he has goin' is gay though.
    - Riding a bike is meditation in motion.
    - Listen to the sounds your bike makes when you ride, and you will likely know when something wrong just by the sound.
    - Try not to be an asshat to motorists without a reason. If you have a reason, goto town. ;-)
    - HELMET. No one wants to feed you with a tube or wipe your ass for you. Save your noggin, and try to be safe.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

i already knew this, but still learned the hard way on harvard ave last night:

don't inspect/talk on your phone while you are riding, especially if there is a chance you will hit a pothole with no hands on your bars.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

felixnine:i already knew this, but still learned the hard way on harvard ave last night:

don't inspect/talk on your phone while you are riding, especially if there is a chance you will hit a pothole with no hands on your bars.

Unless you're going downhill, then it's totally cool.
    Really, honestly, it's always cool. Text like a motherfucker when you're not busy adjusting your ipod.dongpincher 1000
    i talk on my phone while riding all the time. just keep it short and sweet not a whole convo and your all setride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    -always trackstand - it's better to fall in battle than to put a foot down.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016

Nice tips for sharing, some tips are known and some are learning for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016

I like that these old threads are being bumped. We should keep one going where we pretend that it's still 2007 and fixies are still sick and brakes don't matter."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    seconded, this thread rulesDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016

6kidz:I like that these old threads are being bumped. We should keep one going where we pretend that it's still 2007 and fixies are still sick and brakes don't matter.

That's called Rochester.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus