Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hello Boston Fixed. If you are around fenway, and see a two hundred pound man with a blue backpack, jeans, and a brown news boy hat, riding a new silver giant escape (its a girs bike, 700c commuter, with teal accents) let me know... err call 911. It was just stolen. REWARD!!!!!! I will post security video as soon as it uploads!
    Please view the video here :

REWARD is a $150 Gift card.
    Is everyting irie?
    This gets me hard.
    • CommentAuthorgemathy
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011

That guy rules.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited

Wow.
    That said, looks like a store - dont stores generally have insurance to cover goods? If so, why bother asking around for it?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

the insurance that most smaller bike shops (say those with less than 2-3 locations) have probably wouldn't cover something like that because the wholesale cost of that bike is less than the business deductible, I have no idea what the insurance is like at a place like The Giant Store (which that appears to be), but i'm guessing they won't make a claim... that's being said I have know idea what I'm talking about and has my head up my ass.
    Isn't that REI?

Also, what can be done about just getting me one of them $150 gift cards? No one's gonna find that guy, he's in Mexico by now. Might as well give someone (me) the money that was allotted to the hero that's gonna find that guy, or rather, randomly see him on the street. I could totally use $150 bux worth of REI shwag, or one shirt, and I won't even steal anything.
    definitely the giant store. i wonder if it was one of their bikes or someone who brought one in because I've seen people leaving their bikes in the store.
    You are right, its the Giant store. Bike theft like this happens all the time in Boston. Its more about catching the guy, and not the value of the goods. This thief was brazen, and will strike another shop soon. If we catch him, we can restore order to the universe. Help spread the word... Bike thief's are bad for cycling in our wonderful city.Is everyting irie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

more theft at stores and less theft from comrades! i hope this guy goes to every corporate bike shop
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Technically, there's only one corporate bike shop, so he's hit them all by now. Unless you mean EMS, REI, and all the outdoorsy stores that also sell bikes. In that case, he may as well go nab a schwinn from Target, too, while he's at it.

If I spot a portly fellow riding a ladies' bike, I'll make sure to cause a scene. It'll give me an activity for the day.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

^this.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited

its being aired on 7 today.... or it already has not really sure i just got inEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    ^Wow... Boston Fixers are everywhere!Is everyting irie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Yeah, I heard some people on here have actual, paying jobs, too.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^naw.
    ^^c'mon, grad school doesn't counti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    (buckley):Yeah, I heard some people on here have actual, paying jobs, too.

Nuggetross:^naw.

tinyhonkshus:^^c'mon, grad school doesn't count

1) My job pays me, but it all goes back into bikes
    2) grad school pays me, but it all goes into books, tuition, and bikes
    3) Don't make fun of the grad students. We're just people who have made terrible life choices.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    ...how did you make BU pay you with recreational money?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^2 ways to do this.

1) Be smart - get scholarships - attract ladies.
    2) Get some knee pads.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    well i mean..i've got a scholarship too...but i can't use it to buy bikes, it's automatically billed toward my classes. am i doing it wrong?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I know five people from my high school who got scholarships that were 10 to 25 percent above the actual cost of their tuition. they put it towards stupid shit though, like bigger wheels for their truck.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Yeah, Sean, I got what you got, but I have heard of this before. No idea how it works. But you're not doing it wrong.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited

Dunno how it works in other disciplines, but doctoral programs in life sciences and at least some social sciences usually give you full tuition + some kind of health insurance + a stipend that you use like any paycheck you'd get at an "outside" job. My program also bumps up your stipend by a significant amount if you win an outside fellowship.
    As stated -
    1) Outside job, or actual job through the school (rather than a work study), where you have funds to do whatever you like.
    2) scholarship money over costs of classes can be used towards "living expenses" books etc.
    3) stipend (which i wish i had...)
    4) willingness to take out federal loans since i got out of undergrad with no debt and my last grad program with a laughably small amount. Mind you, I still try to take out as little as possible while still covering tuition/books/living expenses.

Mostly I fund my bike stuff by working as many hours as possible in the summers, getting overtime, making bank as a result, and saving tons of the money by living off of peanut butter sandwiches.

In short, not doing it wrong at all. I tend to work something like 40-60 hours a wk all summer long, plus about 30 hours a wk+ during the school year.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Also Joe can prob vouch that BU SPH ain't cheap, but they do give pretty nice merit scholarships. BU STH gave BALLER scholarships, plus had lots of money from the methodist church that they use to subsidize students tuition across the boards.

ALL THIS SAID, I would still favor no debt. But if you gotta have some, student debt is prob one of the best kinds to have.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Are you idiots seriously trying to justify this crap in response to a joke? My God...
    Baron Fagrot:Are you idiots seriously trying to justify this crap in response to a joke? My God...

this
    mehclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I take it back. I had no idea what was being said in this thread, and just assumed that there was some kind of argument happening about college loans or something and I wanted some attention. Sorry. I'll go back to bed now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011

1. There's a Giant store?
    2. That guy's like 280. Carnie fail.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^
    1) Yesm, in fenway, across from landmark center, round the corner from chipotle, 11 kilmarnock st. Full service shopIs everyting irie?
    UpDAtE! The bike thief was just arrested in the Fenway area. Looks like he was stealing crap all over the place. Thanks again for all your help!Is everyting irie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011

Mug shot pix plz.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

what'd we do to help?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I can't help but feel like I had a small hand in this. Can I have the gift card now, please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Baron Fagrot:I can't help but feel like I had a small hand in this. Can I have the gift card now, please?
    You're a funny guy. I like that.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

When I was a lad I rode a Giant "Awesome" mountain bike."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I always found giant bikes were too big for me.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    i have a cromo steel giant hardtail that has a mag 21 on the front of it. Double butted cromo! It was my first mountainbike. I paid $450 for the shock and installation. This bike rocked shimano altus components with teal logos.
    Its now my single speed. I also rode onza pedals for WAY too many years. The pedals tried to assassinate me a few times by not letting me unclipIs everyting irie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

this thread is no longer valid. someone shut it down.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.