Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I saw there was no folding bikes thread, and I figured I'd start one rather then burying yet another legit question in the DQ thread. I started wanting a travel bike after visiting PDX where my aunt said she had "plenty of bikes" only to find that they all sucked. I talked to ANT Bike Mike about getting S&Ss on a touring frame, and he said "You know, it seems like a good idea, but it takes a lot to take the whole bike apart and those cases aren't cheap. Betsy and I just got folding bikes to travel with."

The two big brands seem to be Dahon and Brompton. Bromptons are twice as expensive - are they twice as fucking awesome? Anyone have any input at all?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

Dahon's feel kinda cheap.... but any folding bike is gonna feel, you know, different.
    I've heard good things about the "swift" line, they aren't too complex to fold/unfold, they are supposed to ride pretty well, etc.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorcindierock

I have a Dahon Speed D7. It does seem a little cheap, but it is one of the cheaper models of Dahon. The darned thing is still pretty heavy (over 20 lbs I would say), but it is a lot of fun to ride. People tend to love it and ask you if it's one of those bikes that folds.

The Bike Friday folding bikes look super nice if you are looking for a higher-end folding bike
    I have an awful folding bike you can play with if you'd like.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Folding-bike guy in Harvard Square seemed to be rather fond of his high-end Dahon.
    ^yeah... carbon bars, cranks, guy is kinda insane and kinda awesome. Owen and I chatted with him at one point.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

In my opinion, fold up bikes are like Chihuahuas
    yes they are technically dogs, but I still think that they are a bad excuse for one

for all the people that love Chihuahuas, I'm sorryroz-berry-lime
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited

Travelling with full size bikes sucks, and isn't worth it if you aren't going on your trip to ride. If you're visiting a city and would like to get around quickly and efficiently (and all the other things that are reasons to love city riding), a folding bike really makes a LOT of sense.

Saying a folding bike is is a bad excuse for a bike is like saying a sandwich is a bad excuse for a dinner because it doesn't have three courses.

I used to think that folding bikes were stupid as well, until I flew with a full size bike a few times. Fuck that.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."

Why so much hate on folding bikes and Chihuahuas?
    • CommentAuthorgc

broadway bicycle school is a brompton dealer, they usually have one in stock.
    bromptons are really well thought out and put together, not cheap though.gone
    Admittedly it was a long time ago, but I seem to remember Jamie from IF messengering on a Raleigh 20 at times.
    Roz:In my opinion, fold up bikes are like Chihuahuas
    yes they are technically dogs, but I still think that they are a bad excuse for one

for all the people that love Chihuahuas, I'm sorry

Bikes are rather purpose driven. Folding bikes, like all other bikes, will have certain advantages and disadvantages.

Also Chihuahuas are more rats than dogs so far as I'm concerned.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

^^Raleigh 20 ftw. Most fun bike evar. Rides like a dream, SA 3-speed, folds easily. Kinda sucks that it doesn't fold down very compactly and it weighs a ton.

I bet the antiques market has one you could test ride."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorcrazy0

How about one of these frames? they got several different types, seem pretty cool for a folding bike.

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/bikes.php
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited

Dahon used to make a 26" fixed gear folding bike.
    It was still an abomination.

I see the point of folding bikes for getting to work and whatnot when you've got a bit of a trip from the train station to your destination.
    The idea of having it as your travel bike seems a bit strange.
    They are faster than walking, but in terms of riding for fun there's quite a gap.

That said, you can get a base end model for seriously short money.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly

My Dahon Speed D7 can go pretty quick, not race fast, but definitely faster than walking. The only speed it lacks is that I am a slow. Although I do hear it is hard to go fast on my bike if you are taller (from my 5'11"-6'ish boyfriend)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011

I feel like there's no point in traveling with a bike unless you wish to ride it seriously.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^I think that's a really weird thing to say. I agree if we're talking about boxing up a full size and paying out the nose, but if bringing a bike is as easy as bringing a second piece of luggage, why is there no point? I don't like renting cars or waiting for buses.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

it makes sense to me to want a bike that you can explore a city with when you travel, if you travel a fair amount. & if you're not looking to do super serious rides while on vacation. if you want a bike for exploratory purposes when traveling usually your options are the hassle and expense of bringing your own full-sized bike or renting a bike at the destination, which is likely to be a heavy cruiser-ish hybrid bike. or spending more for a road bike rental.

most of the 20" dahon models ride very much like a cruiser bike, with slightly different handling due to the long-ass stem, tiny front wheel, etc. they're not built to go fast, it puts you in a very upright position. but they're not meant for speed, they're meant to be convenient.

back bay bikes usually has a couple of dahon models in stock. there are super basic ones like the boardwalk, which is a SS with a coaster brake, and the D7 is a nice entry-level with gears. P8 is a step up with 8 speeds and around $550 or $600, if i remember correctly. they don't carry many higher-end models, but the feel is mostly the same with the 20" style. the more you spend, the lighter and smoother the bike and the shifting, etc is.

there's also one of the strida triangular folding bikes there, unless it got sold recently. i'm unfamiliar with it so i don't know how it folds, but i'm pretty sure you can roll it along in it's folded form, instead of having to carry it. don't know if this is more or less useful if you're trying to fly with it, that would depend on airport regulations and stuff. riding it takes a second to get used to, the handling is unusual but fine once you acclimate to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I don't know what I mean. I just say things!

But seriously, I've traveled a lot with and without bikes. I don't mean to knock folding bikes, but your primary bike is always going to be a more enjoyable ride. A fixed gear breaks down pretty easily and fits in a surprisingly small box (and I'm tall), and I've never regretted the 20 minutes it takes on either end for breakdown and setup. And if you're worried about carrying a full-sized bike around, I'm fairly certain that many folders weigh just as much as your primary bike, if not more.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I'm picking up a Raleigh Twenty (20) this Saturday from a buddy of mine. Anyone is welcome to try it out. I really can't recommend them enough. You can get 'em for around 175 and they last forever like all old Raleighs. They're fairly customizable as well.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd

700c folding tark bike

this company is in boston pretty strange looking but rides ok
    • CommentAuthorAijca
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

<p> . to been expected. <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>cheap wedding dresses</a> <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>short wedding dress</a> . Ray Lane has you need to been software program pair coolingkageointed Executive Chairman! as he had this to say stomair coolinghout Whitman in a releautomotive service engineers We re fortuningested to haudiovideoe somebody of Meg Whitman’s caliyou ought to ber and expertise step as much as lead HP. We re at a vital moment all of us require renewed leadership to effectively implement our stringestedgy and take advishage in the marketplace possibilities goodness meead <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>ball gowns evening dress</a> . . Meg is really a technologies visionary with an eststomair coolinghlished trair coolingk record of execution. She is really a substishial communicator who s consumer focused with deep leadership capstomair coolinghilities. <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Bridesmaid Dresses</a> Moreover!Selling Nike Goods. staying pgood of HP’s gwase board of directors for the past eight months! Meg hstaying solid understanding of our goods and markets. <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/Quinceanera-Dresses.html>cheap summer dresses</a> . Whitman inherits a </p>