Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007

hey i'm about to take my old fuji frame and repaint it/get rid any rust. i used the the spray paint from the hardware store to paint it last time (rust xo or something like that) and it held up pretty well, theres just some thinner parts where now the paint is gone and the frame is bare.

if any of you have experience with this, could you recommend a few things that would help, im about to repaint my frame for the winter.
    im going to use a power sander and finish with a sand blaster for any bits left.
    as for the paint, is there anythig you could recommend??
    i don't know what to use, and if there's something better than the hardware store paint that i could use, that would be great.
    its not a great frame, but id still like it to look nice.
    thanks and happy holidayssnow
    montana ! we have gone over this a million times. but if your gunna spend the time and want a nice finish you should just powder coat it. but montana aerosol art spray paint (you can get it at blick, johnsons paint, and prolitariate(who also carries belton paint)) is the thickest kind of spray paint you can buy. you can get it in matte and gloss finish. use that and a clear coat and you should be set. if you go to blick you can get montana clearcoat as well. montana gold brand is a bit pricey but it has the most colors and they are all matte finish besides the shock colors, then there is montana german and black brand that are less as expensive but are mainly a gloss finish.ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i thought the montana at blick was the german. there's a spanish montana that talks shit about the german on their website.

i would also recommend an engine block paint, i picked some up at a little hardware store in cleveland for $2, so i'm assuming that you can find it in boston for cheapish.
    black and gold montana brands are the german brands. the spanish montana you can get only at johnsons paintride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007 edited

diy paintjobs are always going to suck. either pony up the $60-70 to get it powdercoated, or live with an semi-shitty paintjob that will chip and scratch pretty easily. they may look pretty decent at first, but they won't be that durable.

there's good info here:
    http://bostonfixed.us/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=118&page=1#Item_20

no need to take the frame down to bare metal- just rough up the paint that's already there, provided it was applied decently. it will act as a primer. oh, and sand off ALL rust down to bare metal.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

"some thinner parts where now the paint is gone and the frame is bare"

did you not prime the first time? you should have if you didn't. I agree on powdercoating it though, its very durable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008

ilikeitfixed:montana !

if this works, thats great because i have over a dozen of montana hardcore! however, when i first repainted my frame, i tried with the montana gold on the fork and it stripped of really easily so i abandoned that idea... i'll give a try this time, doing it better.

le lion couchant :either pony up the $60-70 to get it powdercoated

do you know where in Boston i can get a frame powder coated and how much time it would take? and since im going to try and mix colors on the frame/fork, something not too expensive

CommentAuthorg0balistik :did you not prime the first time?

i didnt really know aht i was doing, i was just trying to see what would work... do you know what would work best?snow
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008

When I used to spray my frames, I would prime with a few light coats of rustoleum and then do the topcoat with rustoleum as well, then a bunch of clear. You can always wet sand in between layers to get a nicer finish but I never cared that much. It lasted pretty well, but anywhere that got a lot of attention from my lock got chipped up pretty fast.
    here is my flite 100 with rattlecan job:

the aerospoke is actually hand painted with gold leaf paint.

sorry to all of you who keep seeing this picture, but I have to keep using it when people talk about spray paint jobs.
    god if i see that picture again i think im gunna shit! jkjk. yeah if you do the process how ian said, it will be a good call for a "winter finish"ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    i used "aircraft stripper" that i got at autozone and it worked really well for stripping the paint off the frame...just dont get any on your skin...it burns. i sanded down the frame to bare steel, put on 2 coats of primers and am not on my 3rd coat of rattlecan paint...(it looks really good) and i plan on doing 2 or 3 coats of clear...

i have a feeling it is going to chip easy (people have told me) but it looks good so far for a DIY paint job.
    they start looking good. they always start looking good. the reason to not use spray paint is that to make it spray its got a ton more solvents in it than pro-level paints. this makes them much softer even when the paint is fully hardened. even if you use the spray clear coat its still going to chip more easily than high end paint. The prep work will keep the paint attached, but the softness issue is always going to mean that you have to be more careful with a spray paint job.

and yes we have been over this a few times.

If you can get a frame powdercoated for $100 or less it is well worth it. the finish is pretty bombproof and we are all about riding bikes right? not about "Thule queens"?im the mad midnight bomber what bombs at midnigh! yeah baby yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008

Great, thanks a lot to all for the input, im going to start working on this soon. as soon as im done, ill put up pictures.
    and also, Happy new Year!

PantsOffDanceOff:If you can get a frame powdercoated for $100 or less it is well worth it. the finish is pretty bombproof and we are all about riding bikes right? not about "Thule queens"?

this is the bike i used as a beater frame, so im just trying to repaint it before i get back to boston/working. But when im looking for a real paintjob i'll definately get it powdercoated. Just need to find a place for that then.snow
    • CommentAuthorAijca
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

<p>break elegant function GMT. BASELWORLD is horological jewelry industry’s most important colony. About from watches, jewelry, precious stones <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>affordable evening dresses</a> . <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Mother Of The Bride Dresses</a> , and related industries to professional 2109 a exhibitors audiences show their new products. In more than 160, <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/Wedding-Dresses-Tea-Length-Wedding-Dresses.html>evening dresses</a> . 000 square meters of including partial multistory booth BASELWORLD the exhibition hall, <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Cocktail Dresses</a> as the visitors you will in this luxurious surroundings meet all kinds of highquality goods. Many clocks and watches and jewelry industry’s famous manufacturers even BASELWORLD exhibition in only. This gives you the chance to see the latest Basel world unique creative and design. Selected in BASELWORLD exhibition products are the only one in the world, in addition towards the whole industry appear only in one situation products <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>column wedding dress</a> . . Set the clock brand, jewelry brand, . relevant industry and national galleries clearly classified as six gallery enables you to have a </p>