Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorprza
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011

One of these days I'll be able to do this ride.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    Samesies. I am plotting a Nahth Sha clam tour.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    joeyfresh:scenic tour through Quincy

what?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthormmmth
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011

I want to join you guys! If only my bike was not still in france. It might be here by next week end!
    i'm a slow bike! is there a ride this saturday?Demoro vai se melhor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited

conor!:
    joeyfresh:scenic tour through Quincy

what?

Uncle Shah took us down straight down Memory Lane through Quincy. Quincy has some pretty spots.

Quentin: When you get your bike, it's on.

iShootThings:i'm a slow bike! is there a ride this saturday?

I'm not sure. I haven't thought that far ahead yet. If anyone has any suggestions for half day or full day trips to nice places, suggest away.

There's a facebook group that also gets posted in if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_199199170100605We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    If only you'd fit in a trip to World's End!
    is memory lane a real place or do you mean he showed you his own memories of quincy?
    What, you aren't familiar with the memory lane shortcut?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011

Quincy Shore Drive has some nice spots on it. Also: I'm a card-carrying member of World's End. Also also: I was riding a bike in Nantasket on the day in question, but I didn't see any of youse guys. Sadness.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I think it's sad people can't ride out to Long Island (off of Squantum neck in Quincy, but part of Boston). When I drove a cab I brought a guy out there... that place is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Gary: lobar's got it. Shah took us around to see some of his old haunts so we could add some miles to our route. And I'm actually becoming a fan of Quincy.

lobar: Why can't people ride out to Long Island? Is it because of the detox center?
    Also, if you or nerdo want to do a ride out that way and go to World's End, I'm in. I've never been.

This week, I think we're shooting for 30-35 uninterrupted miles, some Atlantic Ocean, some lunch, and then another 30-35 back home. I think it might be Singing Beach time. I'll let y'all know.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    In large part I think it is the detox center, yeah... and the homeless shelter. Also, I believe the police shooting range is out there, and some sort of firefighter training facility (also, of a different sort... 19th century open granite-lined sewage treatment pits).

I imagine they've dismantled anything related to Fort Strong (which once upon a time housed a nuclear-tipped anti-aircraft defense station).

One way or another, there's a guard you have to pass to access the bridge from Squantum to Moon Island (which then leads to another bridge, to Long Island).

Anyway, I'm always up for World's End... if I'd only get over these out-of-the-blue allergies or infection I managed to land. Blech.
    long island has much, much more than just a detox and a homeless shelter; there are seemingly myriad social service facilities out there. it's not the kind of place you can let people freely come and go from given the nature of the services... they want to have some sort of control as to what makes it out there (contraband among other things) and having the public health commission guard at the gate helps regulate that. there's a really solemn memorial to the TB victims that were quarantined out there as well. moon island does indeed have a police range and firefighter training facility (which is more modern than you remember) and looks to me versatile for different training scenarios. all that being said, the causeway from squantum to moon island would be really cool to ride but the bridge from moon island to long island is so terrifying that a larger-than-you'd-expect proportion of people refuse to work/visit/stay out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

Also, the guards for the island are dicks. There used to be a few Dept. of Mental Health shelters out there, and my clients were always getting banned from the island for bullshit reasons.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    ^^ The architect I was driving was my tour guide... so I didn't get that much in the way of information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

Meet at Newbury St. ERC at 8:30am on Saturday, leave at 9:00. We're leaving a little earlier this week so we can be back by 4:00 for people who have to work. The plan is to ride there uninterrupted, have some lunch, hang out at Singing Beach, and then book it back. It should be fun.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthormmmth

My bike is still in france so...have a nice ride!
    Sounds like fun... unfortunately I am way too Irish to be able to stomach the beach for more than about 20 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

psh, even i can tan

(thank you german skin)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011 edited

I'm usually in the same boat, but I found my way around it. I'll give you some of my spf 100.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

joeyfresh:Meet at Newbury St. ERC at 8:30am on Saturday, leave at 9:00. We're leaving a little earlier this week so we can be back by 4:00 for people who have to work. The plan is to ride there uninterrupted, have some lunch, hang out at Singing Beach, and then book it back. It should be fun.

wait what's the destination?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. ~70 mile round trip. We're going to have lunch and hang out at Singing Beach for a bit.
    Are you coming, Dora?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

It's going to be sunny and 70 for the ride tomorrow too!formerly hoot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

ok, Team Slow Bike tattoo designs... discuss:somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    the best i could think of was
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    make sure you stop by captain dusty's for ice cream...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011 edited

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Curses!

Looks like fun... and classy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011

Great ride guys. And it was good to meet you all.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

Yeah and ^this guy did the whole thing fixed.
    Good to meet you too, man.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

joeyfresh:Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. ~70 mile round trip. We're going to have lunch and hang out at Singing Beach for a bit.
    Are you coming, Dora?

i'm sorry, joey, i just saw this now! i'm going to try to make it out next saturday or sunday! :D

so you guys rode out and then took the train back? looks like rad-ness!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited

No, we rode there and then rode back, silly :) We took pictures by the train station because we were cruising down 127 and realized all of the sudden that we were at our destination when we looked over and saw the sign. It was so beautiful out, we really almost missed it.

This week looks like two rides:

Saturday: ~90mi RT to Crane Beach in Ipswich and back. Meet at Newbury St. ERC at 8:30, leave at 9:00. Some friends of mine are taking the commuter rail in and biking to the beach, so we'll meet them along the way, find a place to eat, have a drink, and sit on the beach for a bit. If anyone doesn't think they'll be up for the whole ride, but wants to take the commuter rail in/out and just do one leg of it, that's great and you should join us. Let me know, so we can coordinate.

Sunday: ~40mi RT to Walden Pond and back. Meet at Newbury St. ERC at 9:30, leave at 10:00. Mike "Miele" Carter is leading the charge on this one. Ella is promising her presence and I will almost definitely be there too.

Comments, suggestions?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Huh... googlemaps is showing ~35 miles each way to Crane Beach from Somerville?

No promises these days (Dr-missus 37 weeks last Thursday) but I think I'll likely join and bring a massive towel that I can wrap myself in to shield myself from the rays.

PS: I do have to say, it does add a fair amount of distance, but I love riding bikes out through Marblehead when heading north (it's far more direct to take Western Ave/Highland to Salem, but also less pleasant).
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

lobar, it'd be great to finally ride with you.

It seems like we have the same route in mind, but maybe not. The route I've got takes us 99 -> 107 -> 127 -> 133. I plotted it from JP and included a stop at the commuter rail station to meet people. 46.5mi one way. It's almost exactly the same one we took on Saturday- just going further on it- nice, wide shoulders on 107 and once you hit 127 you're 1 block from the Atlantic the whole way with no red lights or stop signs. Other than a few pot holes and dodging broken glass in Lynn, it's not bad. How many miles does it add to go through Marblehead? I'd be alright with adding more miles for a nicer ride.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez

Ah, I see what you've done... googlemaps stays on 1A after taking 107 to Salem (the bridge leaving Salem headed north is 1A)... you go out and around on 127 to get to Essex. I'll see how much distance Marblehead adds, hold on a sec...

Personally I've always found the pavement on 127 to be a bit porous for my pampered self (sadly not kidding). But it is a nice route (I've ridden 1A further north, it's ok but nothing to write home about). I went out that way to get to Rockport last summer. Actually, another nice place to visit in that area (probably best done another day) is Halibut Point State Park (in Rockport)... it was once a quarry, the park headquarters are in the base of a WW2 era coastal lookout tower, it's on the water... it's a cool weird place to visit.

Edit #1: just looked at your route, I've never gone that way to get to 107 (Western Ave), I usually stay on 99 and make a right on Lynn St before the cemetery, which becomes Salem St and goes out to Lincoln and works you out to Lynn on some *relatively* quiet streets (and avoids having to ride Rte 16). Whatever's fine by me though.

Edit #2: Marblehead adds roughly 7.75 miles.
    Plz just don't do a clam tour without me :(i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    pls define clam tourYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

slow bike with a walker
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Well Ella, in my mind, it is a bike ride that bikes up to the north shore, stops for clams at the Clambox, Essex Seafood, Woodman's and Farnhams and eats clams and ideally other fried seafood at each. It then takes the T home so it doesn't poop itself in Lynn.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben

70 miles fixed? Hot damn. How you feelin prza?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

Weren't no thang.

But my knees were pretty sore that night.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i like clams.
    • CommentAuthorCarter

prza:Weren't no thang.

But my knees were pretty sore that night.

Street cred > Knee pain

Amirite?

P.S. Amos is the man. Jussayin.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

The best way:

Rte 99, take a right at Lynn St and go through Holy Cross
    follow it as it changes names (Salem St, Boston St, etc., then go through the Lynn Commons
    Take a left on Liberty street out of the commons and follow it about four miles, then it connects back with 1A. Stay on 1A all the way in to Ipswich.

I've done it about 10 times and it is the only way to avoid some pretty terrible patches like 107, which is just pure misery.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

And I am a big fan of taking the train to Salem and doing leisurely tooling around all day instead of busting your balls trying not to die in Lynnhttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

Thanks, kjelgaard, I'll keep that route in mind. Not dying in Lynn is a huge priority of mine. I'll check it out.

tinyhonkshus:Plz just don't do a clam tour without me :(

We won't! Promise!

lobar:Personally I've always found the pavement on 127 to be a bit porous for my pampered self (sadly not kidding). But it is a nice route (I've ridden 1A further north, it's ok but nothing to write home about). I went out that way to get to Rockport last summer. Actually, another nice place to visit in that area (probably best done another day) is Halibut Point State Park (in Rockport)... it was once a quarry, the park headquarters are in the base of a WW2 era coastal lookout tower, it's on the water... it's a cool weird place to visit.

Edit #1: just looked at your route, I've never gone that way to get to 107 (Western Ave), I usually stay on 99 and make a right on Lynn St before the cemetery, which becomes Salem St and goes out to Lincoln and works you out to Lynn on some *relatively* quiet streets (and avoids having to ride Rte 16). Whatever's fine by me though.

Edit #2: Marblehead adds roughly 7.75 miles.

I'm totally down for a ride to Halibut State Park some time, for sure. Whenever you're free, I say we go.
    If you're coming on Saturday, why don't you take the lead and we'll take your way through Lynn and through Marblehead. It'd be nice to see some other routes.

It looks like most everybody is out for this one due to various respectable circumstances, so there's a chance I might be riding to Manchester alone to meet the others. If I do that, I'm going to book it. If anyone wants to join and focus on speed, I wouldn't mind that either.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Would it be sacrilege if I don't ride the Rossin on Saturday? I'm of two minds on the subject.

Anyway, I anticipate coming unless someone goes into labor (fairly unlikely).
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

Okay, I'm probably in for Saturday. I thought I was going to out of town, but that looks like it's fallen through.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

i'd been interested in going if it's a bit more focused on speed, though as a disclaimer i haven't ridden over 45 miles other than in races this year. i'm less interested in meandering.