Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Just so we're on the same page... when people say slow/meandering how slow are we talking? And when one says focused on speed, what are we talking?

Admittedly I don't care if I get dropped... and I don't mind waiting for stragglers if need be.
    Well, as Evan and I found out on the marathon ride, 10mph is too slow (based on 23 miles in 2.25 hours, without stops)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

I'm glad you both brought this up, since there may be confusion about what Team Slow Bike is or is supposed to be.

We're not intentionally slow. (And when I say "we," I mean whoever is out riding on these rides, not any set group of people.) The whole thing started two marathon rides ago when Evan, Shah, and I were straggling behind, huffing it as best we could, and just trying to finish before we got kicked off the course. We left when everyone else did and we were literally the last people to be coming back. Evan, to his credit, was doing pretty well, but Shah was riding 48x15 and cramping up and I was on murderbike dying. We were making light of how slow we were and Team Slow Bike was born. I think we were all proud of ourselves for doing a ride that I, at least, had previously thought would be impossible for me. It was just really neat, and it was possible in part because I did it with people that were sticking together and having fun with it.

Since then, we've gotten road bikes and have gotten significantly faster, which is why we considered having multiple rides a week to accommodate what people wanted and could do. Our thought was to do longer, faster rides on Saturdays and shorter, different rides on Sundays (maybe sometimes "easier" and sometimes hillier for getting into shape.) The social element of it has been great so far, too, and I really like the idea of visiting every beach that's worth seeing on the north and south shores this summer. For all intents and purposes, this is still in its infancy and it can grow in whatever way we want it to. If someone wants to start a weekday/sprint/whatever ride to add to the schedule, then they should.

The main thing is that we never, ever drop anyone. The second thing is that we're always open to new people riding with us.

That being said, we covered 30 miles in less than 2 hours (including lights and a water refill stop) on our way back from MBTS last Saturday. We're definitely not sluggish. "Meandering" isn't really what I'm going for for Saturday rides. The plan, though, is to stop and enjoy the location when we get there and spend a couple of hours having lunch and hanging out. I also think that most of the rides will be pretty self-selective (like people probably won't be showing up for a 90 mile road ride on a mtb and others will understand that a Sunday ride to Walden isn't going to be a race.)

I, for one, intend to ride fast on Saturday, but will cheerfully go at the pace of the slowest member and could definitely be outdone by many others. Sunday will be more leisurely, but will still be a good distance and will probably be faster than you think.

Does that make sense? Like I said, I want one ride per week where we're going longer and longer distances and getting faster, but we're still working out what this is supposed to be. We have those two guiding principles of "no drop, ever" and "new people, yay!" but other than that, it's wide open.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

so it's a hammer fest?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^ 111%.

I don't usually look at maps much after the first time I do a ride... but I also usually end up blowing some time figuring out how to get back "on course"... so I made a map. It does show the bypass via Marblehead... In Marblehead it's obvious where you're going, but I might've screwed up parts of it on the map (I know for sure that it passes a particular cemetery and how it come back around on the north side of the neck, but the approach may be off). For argument's sake I routed back taking shortcuts (it shows linking up with Rte 22 from west of Essex back to Beverly, it looked to me like taking Southern Ave from just east of Essex to Manchester might be a good alternative)... and Highland Ave (Rte 107) from the Beverly-Salem bridge back isn't the most pleasant route in the world, but it is a decent cut-through.

Anyway...

Map
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

From weather.gov:
    Today: Showers likely, mainly before 7am. Cloudy, with a high near 62. East wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Today's ride is still on.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Are your friends still taking the train to Manchester or whatnot?

Wunderground is showing rain moving into the Boston area in not too long (doesn't look like it'll rain long)... but more importantly it looks like it'll rain longer on Cape Ann, might not be the best day for folks aiming to spend some time soaking up rays at the beach.

PS: no making fun of my head, I had a bit of an accident with clippers. That and I suck at buzzing the back of my head, so I apparently look like a hare krishna with a very strange balding pattern.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

Nah, they're out.
    See you soon, but I can't promise I won't make fun.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited

We caught four flats and it rained all damn day, but we did it. 92 miles together to Ipswich for lunch, then to Crane Beach, and back at a 14.9mph pace. Hammer fest. lobar is the man and took us through some really beautiful parts of Marblehead on the way there and kept us out of crazy town as much as possible. prza did the whole thing fixed again. Including the ride out to the meet up spot and the ride home after we parted, I broke my first century: 101.4 miles.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Despite all the rain that was a lot of fun... congrats on breaking the century barrier (I only racked up 96 and change).
    Fuck yeah centuries!!!Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortfunkin
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Man, that sounds like a lovely time. I should really try to be in town more Saturdays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

This week:

Saturday 6/18- ~100mi RT to Providence. Lunch at Cuban Revolution. Famous Amos probably does it fixed again and HAMMERFEST '11 continues to hammer. Meet up at Newbury St. ERC at 8:30; leave at 9:00.

Sunday 6/19- ~40mi RT, Thoreaullin' with your homies to Walden Pond. Lunch and swimming at a really beautiful spot. Let's try this one again and hope for no rain. Meet up at Newbury St. ERC at 9:30; leave at 10:00.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Oh right, I have social obligations... I can't go Saturday. Have fun!
    Damn, wish I was in town for the Providence and Walden rides. I'll join next time as I'm off work Saturdays and Sundays.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011

Tomorrow's forecast is warm, with a 30% chance of showers, and Sunday's is warm, sunny, and clear. Everything is go. Let's ride. All are welcome!
    (Chris: join us next time if you can.)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Turns out my forgotten-plans were actually on Sunday, but I dunno if I'm up for Providence... I did Woonsocket once, which was ok, but no great shakes.

If I'm at ERC prior to 9, then all will be clear. If not, have fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011

here's the PROVIDENCE ROUTE
    props to bachezsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011

TOMORROW'S RIDE TO WALDEN IS AT 11AM, NOT 10AM.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

The ride to Providence was hot, but fun. We took 1A there, but had to deal with enough hairy parts of 1A that we stopped at a bike shop in Providence to inquire about another route. The kid there told us 1 was relatively easy and had nice wide shoulders- which is true, except it wasn't relatively easy at all and those 8 foot shoulders don't begin until after you get to other side of 495. 10 miles into the ride back home, we wanted that kid to die. Now that we know, we're taking Bachez's route next time. (Thanks for that.) Regardless, we made it. We also met a buddy of mrotown's who was working at Cuban Revolution. Mark says hi. Also, Amos (prza) posted his first fixed century.

Walden was awesome, as expected. The weather was perfect and the water was amazing.

Since I'm riding the D2R2 with Lenny on Friday, I'm probably out for Saturday. If anyone wants to organize a ride, please feel free to do so and I'll change the thread title to announce it. I'd like to go back to Walden again next Sunday for a few hours of swimming.
    Let me know what y'all think.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011

Sunday 6/26 to Walden Pond. Meet at ERC Newbury St at 9:30, leave at 10.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I might join you on the Walden ride. Did it this week and it was a lot of fun.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    in.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011

I've never been. Is there food there, or should I pack a lunch?Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Oops, sorry for leaving that detail out. You can bring food, but we're also stopping at the Whole Foods in Bedford on the way if you'd rather get something there. There's also a hot dog and ice cream truck at the park that seems to usually be there, but no real food spots that I'm aware of.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

Sweet. Yuppy take-out it is!Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    I may stop in and say hello at the pond... depending on how I'm feeling I'm thinking about going out to Littleton, I'd hit Walden on the way back. Gonna have to be wait and see as I promised the missus I'd be available if she wants to do something in the morning.
    did she poop out the babee yet?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Whoa mark drop. I'm not sure how he would even connect me to you. He must just assume I know everyone on bikes in boston.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    If you want to go to a nice farm stand nearby instead of Whole Foods, check out Verrill Farm in Concord. Awesomesauce.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    banana truffles:did she poop out the babee yet?

Nothing yet... I'm growing skeptical. Maybe it's a cruller like I originally suspected?
    • CommentAuthorben

tinyhonkshus:If you want to go to a nice farm stand nearby instead of Whole Foods, check out Verrill Farm in Concord. Awesomesauce.
    We were there this morning....

Also, I may join in tomorrow depending on when I can wake up in the morning. I need to ride but need to take it easy, so this would be just the right distance.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorCarter

There's a rumor going around that I might be riding the HUJSAK, but at this point that can't be completely substantiated.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    do it, brotha.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I think I'll go.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    DO IT.

Ride the townie.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    actually no, ride yr bmx.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorCarter

Carter:There's a rumor going around that I might be riding the HUJSAK, but at this point that can't be completely substantiated.

Sig'd.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited

You can't sig yourself that's not how this worksI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I'm out... going to Revere Beach with the missus. Maybe riding later.
    Hey, I ended up staying in. I got Giardiasis last week and it still kicks my guts around in the morning. Didn't want explosive diarrhea like last Walden ride.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

ben:You can't sig yourself that's not how this works
    worthy of a sigsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited

Fun ride today. Craig even brought his invisible bike down to the beach.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Whoa! Is Shah one of those wireless cell-phone charging pads?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011

Short notice ride to Walden tomorrow morning at 10am- if it's not raining. If it's raining, then fuck it. I'll post again when I wake up.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorCarter
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011

The Mike Carter Memorial Ride To Walden Pond: Tomorrow morning, leaving at 10am sharp(ish) from ERC on Newbury. It is strongly suggested that every one of you (yes, you) attends in the morning to pay your respects. I mean, everybody getting together and riding bikes and having fun? It's what he would want for sure.

Don't be a dick. Just go. Do it for Mike.It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

The ride is on in memory of Mike Carter, who is probably no longer with us due to a drunken kayaking accident.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Proposal: Tour de Clam - ride Boston to Essex, hit Essex Seafood, ride 3/4 of a mile, hit Farnham's, ride 3/4 of a mile, hit Woodman's - if we are still hungry, ride 8 miles to the Clam Box in Ipswich, and then take the Commuter rail back from Ipswich, because t-honks don't roll on fried seafood. Obviously others could ride back. Obviously jinxing new bike day, but possibly next Sunday?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    how long is the ride to essex?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    30ish, yeah? I think I can do this next Sunday. I will try to convince el Wiferino.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D