Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

I figured I'd post this in a separate thread so we can compile our collective knowledge in one place, if possible.

What route do you recommend to Providence? Some idea were bandied about, but I am interested in what bfixed has to say.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've only done Rt1. But you're going to get a thousand people suggesting 1A. I suggest you listen to them (even if I'm too lazy to bother with scenic routes).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

rumor has it bachez has perfected the providence route.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    i know that when ratattack commuted to walpole, she swore by rt. 1 and its wide shoulders.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited

route 1 is fine if you avoid the rush hour. it gets a little hairy around that mall in attleboro, but by that point you are almost there.

am curious about the "perfected" route.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

There are so many nicer ways to get there than route 1.
    Add some extra miles and ride some nice roads.
    I will add more later, but I'm riding Boston to P-town tomorrow and have to be up at 3am.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez

I have Perfected the Providence route!
    ill dig up the route.

NAHANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! who knows a nice route?mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited

goin to nahant...there really isnt without going up and over. i usually just take the blue line out, hop on ocean ave, slip onto 1a and sprint to avoid cars and glass or sidewalk it. then i take the parking lot on the jetty (the side goin outbound from the island)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

about four years ago, a friend of mine was getting into doing distance rides and decided, over the summer, he was going to take every Friday and ride from his job at Hasbro, in Pawtucket RI, back to Central Square. He asked me to help him sketch out a route and on one Saturday, we did this (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=336697). Looking back on it, I probably would've had him do a little more of Dover and Medfield, but overall it's a nice ride and you can extend it a bit further to go to Providence.

Three years ago, I did a 24 hour doubleplus century that started in Provincetown and went to Westfield in the Berkshires via New Bedford, Providence and northern CT. The thing that I learned from that is that coming into Providence from the east is kind of ass-y on a bike.

for Nahant don't go through Revere or Everett. 1A north of Revere Beach is a shitty ass piece of road.

from, say, Cambridge -- take your favorite route into Arlington Center (Mass Ave., minuteman, whatever) head north then Rt. 60 towards Medford, then north on Governors, to Lawrence, to Forest, through the rotary near the Fellsway, then ride the Fellsway north then east along South Street and Pond Street to the Lynn Fells Parkway. Turn right at Main st in Saugus and cross over Rt. 1 into Saugus center, then Hamilton to Boston toward Lynn center, then make your way to the Lynnway and Nahant Rd.

or, really ... ride your bike to North Station, put it on the commuter rail, get off at Lynn and ride down to Nahant. Intermodal transportation FTW. I hate riding through the North Shore between Medford and Salem.
    ^nahant route translated to a map (i ended it at swallows cave because that place is fuckin awesome)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

spokenword:for Nahant don't go through Revere or Everett. 1A north of Revere Beach is a shitty ass piece of road.

This. I took 16 through Everett/Revere and was 98% sure I was going to get hit/die. Unfortunately, once you're on a highway, there's not really any escaping or turning back, you just have to keep going. To be fair, I did that based on a mapmyride route. Never again.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited

Bach~ez:NAHANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! who knows a nice route?

Nahant: I'd just pick up 99 out of Sullivan Square (yes, the brief stretch between Sullivan and the rotary above Rte 16 is semi-sucky... but it's a short stretch). Stay on Rte 99 up the hill (Broadway), descend the other side and go right at fork in Bway (small park in center of split) on Lynn St. Lynn St becomes Salem St, then Lincoln Ave... go right at the barely-there rotary in Saugus Center (still Lincoln Ave). After you cross the small bridge by O'Briens pub (welcome to Lynn), stay right onto Boston Street (will seem like it's the same street). Pay attention, because you'll be making a right soon, onto Summer St. Stay on Summer (crossing Western Ave - 107, there'll be a little jog there) until Neptune Blvd, which becomes Wheeler and then State St... right on Market St... cross 1A and head north to the beach (you've avoided the unpleasant part of 1A aka "The Lynnway" which does suck).

PS: if you end up taking Commercial St from Summer to the Lynnway just buck-up and deal, you've avoided the vast majority of the Lynnway's unpleasantness... it'll be pretty soon enough.

You could ask Joe or Amos of their opinion of the route if you don't want to take my word for it, we went that way to reach points north on Saturday.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37631226
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

^I thought that was a very nice route. And Nahant looked like it'd be a good place to ride.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Agreed.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    if you go to nahant before im back go to swallows cave

you can go swimming to a small rock island about 200 yds away toosomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Is that the Northeastern property?
    • CommentAuthorgc

the nu lab in the old wwII bunker is really really cool.gone
    it's a little west of it. the orane line is the path to get to the opening.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

sean's posts always exceed expectations re: usefulness. thanks for going the extra mile sir
    thorough is certain!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Sean internets the way he sexes: generously, publicly, and using a pseudonym.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    you have just replaced "too far, zev" as a sig, i never thought it'd happen.

and thanks guys!
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Sean knows the only 100% effective method of birth control is a fake name.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    im so happy right now.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i'm pretty sure his creative use of MS paint in the bedroom/chatroom warrants mentioning...
    i learned those moves from evan, but i don't think i'll ever reach his skill level.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    MS Paint in the bedroom?
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthormauspad

^wifey get a sunburn?
    Alternative to Trapelo route to Walden Pond? I've only taken Trapelo out there. Any other good ones?Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

i always go riding out past concord and then hit walden on the way back in, here's the way i go: gmaps route. looks like you could take a left off of n. great road onto bedford road and join in with the way i'm assuming you come from trapelo road. that way you can cut off the unnecessary loop through concord without risking life and limb on route 2.
    ^Thanks! That's perfect. Wasn't sure if Route 2A was a good way. Much appreciated.Young, dumb, and full of cum.
    I'm not a big fan of Bedford Rd... but I like Lauren's mapped route.
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011

+1 on 2A in concord, if you want a variant ratattack's route that swaps out parts of Mass Ave in Cambridge\Arlington (lower traffic and fewer lights, more turns, this will be familiar to you if you tend to use Trapelo Rd.)

At Harvard Sq., head west out via Brattle St. to Mt. Auburn
    bear right after the Star Market and Mt. Auburn Cemetary onto Belmont St.
    Follow Belmont St. over the hill then bear right\continue straight onto Trapelo Rd at top of the hill.
    Make a right on Mill St.
    Left at the end on Concord Ave (if you want to bust your knees climbing some steep stuff, you can also just follow Concord Ave. out of Harvard Square and tackle that nice little wall outside of Belmont Center)
    Follow Concord Ave to the end then right on Spring Street
    Next left on to Shade St.
    Right then left onto Lexington Rd.
    Right at triangle onto Mill St.
    Follow Mill St. to 2A

Follow the rest of ratattack's route from there.

oh, just a bit of warning about the above route: Concord St. outbound past Belmont is in relatively crappy condition. If the traffic is low, you can just take the lane and dodge the potholes, but if you're not fond of getting your bones shaken, you can just make the right on Winter St. after joining Concord Ave. then follow that to 2A in Arlington. By that point, the lights will be fewer and the traffic will eb calmer.
    Alternatively, one could take Boundgear-John's route from Arlington Ctr... go to Arlington Ctr, proceed to Mill St (it's Jason St on the other side of Mass Ave, I believe Mill is the next light after Pleasant St - Rte 60). Go right on Mill... go past the bikepath to the set of lights at Summer St (essentially a T intersection, there's a driveway on the other side)... left on Summer... stay on Summer St (will eventually meet up with Lowell St - Rte 2A and change names, continue on Lowell St). Eventually you'll see signs informing you that Rte 2A will be turning left... make that left at the lights onto 2A (Maple St). Maple St drops you on Mass Ave in Lexington across from where Marrett Rd comes out (i.e. the Museum of Our National History). Then I'd stay on Mass Ave to Lexington Green and pick-up Lauren's route, although you could take Marrett, i.e. 2A, and skip the hill Mass Ave takes after Lexington Green... Marrett's pavement is pretty crappy though.

Summer St/2A features nice pavement, a few light rolling hills, and way less traffic than Mass Ave between Arlington and Lexington.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Or take Main St through Waltham and hook up with 117. That's the best approach if you're coming from Allston/Brighton.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited

Er, or you could just take Lexington St from Waltham Ctr and make a left on Marrett... or take Lexington St and make a left on Trapelo (or I suppose wind your way over to Common St in Watertown and take that to Trapelo (just down from the Belmont/Trapelo split in the Waverly Square side, but I don't know if that's much of an improvement over just taking Trapelo).

So many options.
    or you could parasail into the lake. fuck streets.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^But he was avoiding Trapelo! ;)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited

Oh right, that... at least from Lexington/Waltham St there's no need to avoid Trapelo... it's pleasant enough out there.

Admittedly Common St would not be awesome in that sense (I need to dig up the RdR cue sheet, somehow we went out Common St but ended up over by Beaver Brook, anyone else remember how they did that? Obviously there was some turn I forgot about).

edit: nevermind, now I remember... it did just go out Common and pick-up Trapelo at that intersection (I had to wait for my slowpoke compatriots and some cop was giving me the evil eye... how could I forget?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

So, Bach~ez, about the Providence route... We're hoping to leave tomorrow morning.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4587024

This is the route i take to Providence.mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    Unfortunately they went this morning... but that's pretty similar to the route I was suggesting they take with a few minor variations... we'll find out soon enough what they did I guess.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited

HERE'S THE PROVIDENCE ROUTE FROM BACHEZ

o damn, sorry. i'm drunk and can't read.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited

Blech, there's a lot of bike path on that Walden route...

Also, have you done the route listed to Groton? I usually just go out Mass Ave and take 225 to 110, then 119 to Groton (and sometimes back via Farm Row and working my way to 110 through Ayer). I stayed on 225 through Forge Village once, but it didn't seem overwhelming worth it (admittedly it features far quieter roads than 119).
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited

the bike path opens up past lexington so ive never been against that. but the best road alternative would probably be what was recommended a few posts up.

re: groton route. i havent done that, but its something cait dooley did called the RideStudioCafe Tohoku charity ride and it's a favorite of her's and ben's.
    i did edit a couple of the roads because there was a lot of turns in the top left section coming back.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    This is one of those times when we're all better off if I stifle myself.
    :(somebody turn the lights off on this place already.