Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Mick::D

FTFY

Turn that frown upside down and let 'em rip!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited

Any good route suggestions for heading out of the city toward Portsmouth or beyond? Links to mapmyride or similar would be super appreciated.

edit: And any suggestions for bypassing 1A around Hampton, too. We made the mistake of trying to ride through there last year during the summer and it was terrible.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited

I rode out there with Pat, whose handle I forget, awhile back. I'll dig it up for you in an hour or so.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/10477572.

You'll note that I didn't ride all the way back, I was running late so I had my wife meet me... all-in-all a pleasant route. You could also go the standard route to Beverly and then take 22 north to Ipswich and pick up 1A there to Newbury (TSB rode 22 on the way back from Ipswich, it was pretty a-ok)...
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011

ben:Any good route suggestions for heading out of the city toward Portsmouth or beyond? Links to mapmyride or similar would be super appreciated.

edit: And any suggestions for bypassing 1A around Hampton, too. We made the mistake of trying to ride through there last year during the summer and it was terrible.

I have a ride that I've done the past 2 years from Dover, NH through Kittery ME and through Portsmouth and back to Boston. It's a 90 mile total trip. Want me to send that your way?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011

^ yes yes. anything is helpful at this point, just trying to figure out which roads are the most bike friendly up in that area.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/39519464

Let me know if that doesn't work.
    I'm a computer idiot.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Worked for me... that's a wacky looking route (particularly if you aren't Waltham bound). Pleasant though?
    • CommentAuthorben

Thanks for the routes guys. It looks like there's really no way to avoid 1A near Hampton though, huh :(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

The group I was riding with uses newton city hall as a central meetup point. That's the main reason for the westward sweep, but it also has the advantage of routing you around some of the garbage north of Boston.

Ben, from what I remember of the route there's only a small section of shitty touristy beach stuff to contend with. How bad that is all depends on the day of the week, time of day and time of year. The part leading up to that (when going north to south) is awesome. You're riding right along the water on these nice twisty roads. You can just let it rip.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011 edited

I think we parked more or less right outside Hampton and tried to ride through it on 4th of July weekend last year. Between the peds and the cars it was madness, and one of us crashed because of people stepping out into the road.

We'll be there tomorrow - again on 4th of July weekend - but hopefully you're right and we can just grin and bear it for a bit.

edit: Just realized that if everything goes as planned, we should be passing through Hampton around 8 or 9 am, which means traffic and people should be at a minimum.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I should try to find the route from the first day of that ride going from boston to brattleboro. That's unbeatably awesome.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    I'd like to see ^ this.

I always figured I'd just take 119 (picking it up in Littleton). Never ridden that way much beyond Townsend though.

Getting to Salisbury via Wakefield wasn't too shabby. I seem to remember it was a little confusing though (I met up with Pat in Newburyport). Admittedly there was a lot of Malden and Melrose, etc... but if you go early enough it's not so horrible.

I think we did ok through Hampton on our way up, but I seem to remember it being wicked annoying coming back. Pedestrians can be such jackasses.
    I use page 1 and page 2 of the 2006-2008 Boston 600k cue sheet to go from Boston to Brattleboro. (or, really, Hanscom Field near 2A in Concord to Brattleboro) ... favorite way to get out Hanscom from the city is to use one of the Walden Pond routes mentioned above to get to 2A, then right towards Hanscom Field after Mill St.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/39582570

Try that.
    The section from about 10 miles before the ma/vt state line to the lumberyards just outside brattleboro is one of my favorite stretches of road around.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited

Best route to New York from East/New Haven?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited

Thanks for the route advice guys. This is the way we ended up going. 154 miles in 10 hours and 40 minutes of saddle time. It was twice the distance that half of our group had ever ridden before.

The segment through to Portsmouth was a really nice ride, and would be a good 120mi roundtripper as long as you leave early enough in the AM to beat traffic. We just followed this route.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Sweet! I think we shall adapt your Portsmouth route to Essex!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011

Nice riding, Ben!We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

Ok, hivemind, I'm very likely going to be riding from Albany to the South Shore and back next weekend. I'm aiming for 2A for much of it. Has anybody ridden any of these roads?

I'll probably do about 60-70 on Thursday night, then the rest of Friday. Then basically the opposite Sunday/Monday morning. Alternatives? Other suggestions?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Nothing all that helpful to add... I've ridden Rte 2 between 8A and Greenfield (decent shoulders) and I rode Old Greenfield Rd a month or so ago... I joined it from Zerah Fiske Rd, my memory of it is that it's a pretty pleasant largely downhill ride with some nice light twists and turns. It certainly didn't stand out as a bad experience, I can say that with confidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011

ballston to umass amherst: how does one do that well?
    Take your preferred route to concord center (see upthread for Walden Pond stuff) then 62 to 32 to 9. Lots of fresh paving there since last year. It's great. 62 in acton and stow can be a little trafficky. You can dodge some of it by with a combo of Lawsbrook and S. Acton road as sketched out in the Rubel maps
    •  
      CommentAuthorBach~ez
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

Boston to New Haven Route?mrotown: U lock them by the neck to a street sign!
    BTW, I take back what I said about continuing on 225 between 110 and 119 on the way to Groton.

225 is good.
    • CommentAuthormattty
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011

Anyone know a good ~25 mile loop starting from Cambridge? I'm new here, and I want to stretch my legs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Bach~ez:Boston to New Haven Route?

I need one of these too. Help, please.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

mattty:Anyone know a good ~25 mile loop starting from Cambridge? I'm new here, and I want to stretch my legs.

You could always take the Minuteman out to Bedford and back. It's paved and pretty pleasant. It starts right behind the Alewife T station.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    mattty:Anyone know a good ~25 mile loop starting from Cambridge? I'm new here, and I want to stretch my legs.

mystic lakes loop?
    • CommentAuthormattty

joeyfresh:

You could always take the Minuteman out to Bedford and back. It's paved and pretty pleasant. It starts right behind the Alewife T station.

Looks great, thanks
    • CommentAuthormattty

kilgore_trout:

mystic lakes loop?

Got a link?
    mattty:
    kilgore_trout:

mystic lakes loop?

Got a link?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/6892279
    that, a few times, with some variation isn't bad. and you'll see other people doing it for sure. can usually be done all right turns, no serious traffic getting in the way or chopping up your rhythm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011 edited

If you take the Minute Man trail from Alewife to Lexington, visit Ride Studio Cafe (www.ridestudiocafe.com) then head back that will be 20 miles. Ride Cafe is a 'bike cafe', so to speak, great coffee and I think you'll enjoy it - many bike people do.
    I'll do a map tomorrow :)
    Is this the right thread? Has it really not been bumped since last summer?

My rib is feeling 98% healthy so I want to do a lonely road ride this weekend. Anyone got a 30-50 mi loop that's easy to remember? Starting from LA.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

I like this Dover loop. It might take a time or two to remember, but there's not a ton of turns. Once you get to the end of Springdale Ave you can do hill repeats on Pegan Lane.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

This is a route I've done a bunch from Allston. A little ugly through Waltham, but not bad otherwise.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012

Anyone have a good route from Boston to Portland Maine? Round about is fine. I'm thinking of biking there this weekend since I have Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Anyone have any good routes down to the Cape?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    A:Anyone have any good routes down to the Cape?

i have no complaints with the harbor to the bay route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Harbor-to-the-Bay288026
    • CommentAuthorgc

saltonstall bike route: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Saltonstall_Bikewaygone
    Dot Ave or Morrissey Blvd for getting to Quincy? Morrissey looks too high-speed, but it seems to be the go-to on mapmyride/bikely/charity ridesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012

Morrissey is really wide so cars can give plenty of room as they pass. I've never felt that threatened on it, and it doesn't seem to be widely traveled. Dot to Neponset Ave is ok too. Shrug. If your aim is to get on Quincy Shore Drive, you'll be dealing with loads of fast cars anyway, so why not do Morrissey?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Thanks, that's just the input I needed. It's just hard to tell road character from google street view...where Morrissey looks like the friggin Pike!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012

morissey has a sidewalk if you get in over your head, dot ave isn't that great. there's a bike lane for part of dot ave but its directly in the doorzone and the rest has no bike lane.gone
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012

Zomar:Anyone have a good route from Boston to Portland Maine? Round about is fine. I'm thinking of biking there this weekend since I have Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off work.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. If you didn't find anything or are still considering the ride, here is our route up to Bath from last summer (passed through Portland). It's flat and unshaded for most of the way, but can be pretty scenic along the coast.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Is "bike route 1" the best way to the cape from Boston? A friend is trying to go to Pocasset. He's planning on just following it to the canal then heading south unless there's a bike-friendly route that's more direct to that part of the cape.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthor•••
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

I'm looking for a nice route to commute to brockton. Does anyone know if the google maps way is a good route? I'm not very familiar with the roads in that region.
    Might be mistaken, but I think 24 is a divided highway. I've gone 28 through there to points south, it's nothing to write home about but it's perfectly fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012

Any recommendations for routes to Western Mass, specifically Lenox? Bonus points for cool things to do along the way.
    route 9. recommendation: don't die. bonus thing to do: me, in a grassy field or off in the woods.
    Geez Pfist is out of control, somebody give him a handie already.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D