Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012 edited

This is the route I planned for my next attempt at crossing the state. Just adjust the end portions. DISCLAIMER: I've never ridden many of these roads, but I've driven big parts of Rte 9 in central/western Mass and it seems pretty bikeable. Rte 9 becomes far more bikeable outside the 495 corridor, and it goes by Purgatory Chasm and some other nice parks for guerrilla camping and/or scenery chewing. Good luck! When are you riding?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012

9 is an incredibly undesirable road to ride on. Avoid. It mellows out past worcester, but really, avoid.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I enjoy that the mellows-out part is only after Belmont Hill, an impossibly long and arduous battle of a climb., if you don't know the way around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012 edited

Thanks, guys! I'm not going until next month, but I'm hoping to figure out routes now so I can start reserving campsites. If possible, it would be fun to take a different way back. I'm also looking at some bike maps and other sites for routes, but I've never ridden past the Worcester-area so I really dunno much about the roads past that point.

nerdo, can you tell me about the roads you are familiar with on that route? Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Tristan, my route doesn't connect with Route 9 until after Worcester. What's the problem out there?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I feel like maybe Zomar once waxed philosophic about Rte 9 out beyond somewhere (but recommended mtb gearing).
    • CommentAuthortristan

Its just a very fast road, littered with debris and big trucks. It is neither pretty nor relaxing. Your route seems fine, I just wanted to reiterate staying the hell away from 9 near Boston.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Especially what with the danger looming in the dark of a Fist roaming the woods off of Rt.9, waiting to pounce and proposition cute cyclists for dirty sex in the woods. YOU ALL WANT IT.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

Rachel:Any recommendations for routes to Western Mass, specifically Lenox? Bonus points for cool things to do along the way.
    my recommendation from earlier in the thread when someone asked about Boston to Amherst:

Take your preferred route to concord center (see upthread for Walden Pond stuff) then 62 to 32 to 9. Lots of fresh paving there since last year. It's great. 62 in acton and stow can be a little trafficky. You can dodge some of it by with a combo of Lawsbrook and S. Acton road as sketched out in the Rubel Maps.

For Lenox, I'd take 9 as far as the Connecticut River Crossing at Amherst/Northampton then 66 to 112 South to 20 East, go over Jacob's Ladder to Lenox. Rt. 20 used to be a horror show for paving, but has also been freshly surfaced and is fun to ride again.

For a change up on the return, take 8 north out of Lenox to Pittsfield, where it rejoins Rt. 9 and ride 9 back to Northampton, then head north on 202 and ride around the Wachusett Reservoir to 122 then take 62 east from Barre and rewind everything from there. Little more roundabout but gives you different stuff to see.
    Is "bike route 1" the best way to the cape from Boston? A friend is trying to go to Pocasset. He's planning on just following it to the canal then heading south unless there's a bike-friendly route that's more direct to that part of the cape.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

Generally, yes, it's good to get you to the start of the Cape, but depending on preference, some folks opt to take the Rail Trail in the section between Yarmouth and Wellfleet (though that doesn't matter if they're just heading to Pocasset). if starting from Cambridge or Somerville I have tended to prefer to get to Milton by way of Dorchester rather than detouring all the way out to JP. Also, the Saltonstall has you cross at the Sagamore, but I find that crossing at Bourne to be preferable.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

Oh, and cool thing to do when heading out to Western Mass ... as you head into Amherst on Rt.9 westbound, you can take a left on Bay rd. and that will eventually reconnect with Rt. 9 before it crosses into Northampton and allow you to dodge a lot of the traffic in downtown Amherst, -but- it will also take you past the Atkins Deli, which is a good place for lunch. They have cider doughnut bread pudding in their deli case. it will totally wreck your ride because it'll be like a boat anchor in your belly, but it's so good.
    ATKINS CIDER DONUTS

ALL I WANT FROM LIFEi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorAijca
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

<p> <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/Wedding-Dresses-Corset-Wedding-Dresses.html>muslim wedding dresses</a> . boardroom style conscious executives could possess the capability to uncover artist watches from luxury timepiece traders also.A initial aspect to contemplate is obviously, <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Mother Of The Bride Dresses</a> . <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Flower Girl Dresses</a> . the character inside from the man who might be utilizing the artist watch. Is he effortless and straight forward <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>Prom Dresses 2012</a> ? Is he flashy and would like color specific items? Or, is he adventurous and active <a href=http://www.wiredress.com/>sexy wedding dress</a> ? The response to these inquiries will guide 1 to some broad selection of brand recognize names with 1 an additional having a broad selection of adaptations of watches.The 2nd factor to think about is definitely the price tag. guys usually buy their elements with out discovering an incredible provide factor to think about with style and celebration of exactly exactly where they might be utilizing . . The very first timepiece they see inside the shop will </p>
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012

How is riding down 117? I'm thinking about taking it from Waltham to around Bolton.If it is too trafficky, narrow, or otherwise unpleasant I'll figure something else out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited

I like 117 fairly well. It can be bumpy in places I think, but they may have repaved the worst of it... Can't remember.
    a bunch of friends and I do an annual apple picking trip in the fall that goes out to Nashoba Valley in Bolton via parts of 117 (or really, Mass Ave > 2A > 62 \ Lawsbrook\S. Acton > 117 west of Stow). It's fine, and probably the best option if you're coming from Waltham. Does get a little trafficky around Maynard, and at the I-495 interchange, but nothing compared to the city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012

Alright, 117 it is! Oh, and thanks, spoken, for your route advice about getting to western Mass. from a couple weeks ago. I got my route planned and took a fair amount of your suggestions.
    I want to do a fast (for me) road ride after work tonight to blow off some steam. Leaving from Kenmore, 30-50 miles. Any easy-to-remember suggestions?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited

Er, well... you could do a loop out through Wellesley and Weston pretty easily, go out Beacon to the end in Newton, left on Washington Street (Rte 16) passing into Wellesley, right onto Glen Rd (it's the third real right after you cross the river into Wellesley, not counting the two "Mica Lane" driveway things) take that until the end crossing into Weston, right on Wellesley Street... cross Rte 30 at the lights staying on Wellesey, right at the stop sign onto Newton Street (farm will be in front of you) descend... left onto Rte 30 at the lights at the bottom. At that point you can stay on 30 (Commonwealth Ave) or take your first right at the lights onto Concord Street... which will bring you back to Beacon St in Newton Lower Falls (at the bridge into Wellesley), left to go back into town.

TL; easier to remember:

Beacon St to end
    Left onto Washington
    Right onto Glen Rd
    Right onto Wellesley St
    Right onto Newton St
    - Comm Ave or Beacon back into town

ETA: when you're on Glen it's mostly straightforward, but after you cross the bridge over the Commuter Rail tracks (Wellesley Farms station to your left, one of the remaining HH Richardson stations) make sure to stay left at the fork in the road.
    Good looking out. I took most of your suggestions, but spread it out a little to get some more hills. Route here. even with a very weak headlight and a couple of wrong turns, I averaged 16.5 mph.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

Any suggestions for riding up to Maine, specifically Kennebunk? I'm not searching for the most direct route, I'm more concerned about safe and scenic roads. Bonus if roads / paths are along coast.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

Pick your poison for getting out of the city, then find your way to 1A. I'm sure somebody will have a turn by turn for you, but that's the gist.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I went a kinda wacky way up through Wakefield to 1 to meet someone in Newburyport once, and then rode up the coast via Salisbury, MA/Hampton, NH... looks to me like going out to Wakefield (go out McGrath, stay straight past Kappy's, then wind your way over to Main Street into Malden, don't miss the left!) is a decent way to go, then get yourself onto Main Street through Lynnfield and pick-up 62 to Topsfield and 1 from there... sometimes branching off to stay nearer the coast?

BTW, good tip, get yourself onto Ferry Rd after you cross over the bridge from Newburyport... takes you off 1 for a minute and does a sorta shortcut to 1A. If you look at the map you'll see it.
    friends of mine did this ride to Portland, ME passing through Kennebunk along the way (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1206682) route start is @ Bloc 11 in Union. I haven't done it (was up in Vermont for a 400k on that weekend), but everyone I talked to said that it was an awesome route.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited

I'm trying to ride out to the Natick Mall (or right across the street from it) tomorrow. Is Route 9 (Worcester St) bikeable from around the Wellesley Hills Station?

I'm planning to take beacon to washington to Route 9 but I can't tell if it has a reasonable shoulder or not.

edit: It looks like maybe I should just stay on Washington past Wellesley College then take Bacon til I can get onto 9 for the last 3/4 mi or so?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

rt. 9 sucks, take route 16-rt. 135-speen st there.gone
    • CommentAuthortristan

stay off route 9 for as long as you can.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Bacon is the correct decisione-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    TWO VEGANS JUST OPTED FOR BACON! THE MAYAN APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012

gc:rt. 9 sucks, take route 16-rt. 135-speen st there.
    Thanks for the advice all. I think this looks like the best way, and since I used to ride out and back to Wellesley College a bunch it will mostly be very familiar roads.

A guy at the office I'm going to was saying yesterday that "9 is busy but it has a HUGE ::motions arms out real wide:: shoulder and you can take it all the way into Boston." Never trust Freds.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I rode Rt9 to Natick and back semi-regularly as a messenger, but it was the quickest way from where I was starting from and I didn't have much time to fiddle with more desirable routes.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

Beacon to Washington to Speen worked really well. Probably shouldn't have worn shorts this morning, but I should feel be feeling my knees again by the time I head home.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited

This is a very open request (which is why I want your suggestions) -

Looking to head somewhere into NH for a long ride, stay over, then come back. Goal is ~100 each way.

Any suggestions of routes up into New Hampshire?

Nowhere in particular. A nice ride will win out over a specific destination - though I am eyeing Lake Winnepesaukee as a direction to head in since it has a bunch of hotels.

Shorter routes that head in the right direction (basically North, possibly NW, into NH) are helpful too.

Really, I'd just like to ride something that someone knows is decent, rather than blindly rely on google maps for the whole thing.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    NER 400K cue sheet will take you up to Meredith, NH near Lake Winnipesaukee and send you back to Massachusetts via Hillsborough, where you can drop in on Peter White if you feel like nerding out on fancy lighting or European parts. 125 miles each way starting in Bedford, MA. So ~140 miles each way from Somerville. It's got a lot of numbered highway routes so can be a bit traffick-y especially between Checkpoint 1 and Checkpoint 2 but otherwise, I like the route.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

I know you said NH, but I've done Boston to Brattleboro to spend the night and have a file of a pretty enjoyable route somewhere.

Actually when I did that it was part of a 3 day weekend that went from Boston to Brattleboro, VT then Brattleboro VT to Dover, NH and then from Dover, NH through Kittery ME and back down to Boston.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013

Can you whisper me links to the Brattleboro ride, mrotown? I really like that idea.

And thanks spokenword - I'll see what I can do with that (like possibly find a strava of MMR upload of the ride). It's definitely the type of ride I'm looking for!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Sup duders - considering a last minute mini tour from Camden, ME (to which I think I can get a ride) to Portland, ME (from which I can take a train). Adventure Cycling maps will take me from just outside Camden to Freeport, and I found this cue sheet (PDF warning) that appears to cover the ground between Freeport and Portland. But always looking for more input, there are always secrets! Also curious if you have to box your bike on the train.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Obviously something I can look up myself but I always like to hear people's suggestions, secret short cuts, anecdotes, etc ... so I'm planning on riding to Salem, MA some day this month, either a Wednesday early afternoon or a Sunday. I'll most likely leave from Cambridge. I prefer the most direct route but any scenic routes are always of interest. Google map says 23 miles by car so I'm assuming closer to 30 by bike if not more?

Any route suggestions or advice is welcome.

Also if anyone is a serious record collector and wants to join me, I'm going out there to hit the Salem Record Exchange and will probably be spending 2-3 hours digging there. Will most likely take the train back unless I am feeling randy and don't mind making the return ride with what will probably be a decent pile of records in my bag. When I rode my SS to Providence I averaged around 18mph so I'd be looking to pace at least that, depending on terrain, etc.
    It's not the world's most scenic route (the Rte 60 portion), but if you want halfway direct you could go over to Teale and take Curtis/Winthrop Street over to Rte 60 (at small rotary on other side of Rte 16), and take that to Lynn St (becomes Salem St, and then Lincoln Ave)... if you stay on Lincoln Ave by making a right in Saugus center you can work your way out to 107.

I'm more likely to go over to Sullivan and take 99 to Lynn St and then through as above (although you can also take Lynn St and get over to 107 closer into the city, i.e. by the old GE engines plant/the marsh).
    Freewheel Burning:Obviously something I can look up myself but I always like to hear people's suggestions, secret short cuts, anecdotes, etc ... so I'm planning on riding to Salem, MA some day this month, either a Wednesday early afternoon or a Sunday. I'll most likely leave from Cambridge. I prefer the most direct route but any scenic routes are always of interest. Google map says 23 miles by car so I'm assuming closer to 30 by bike if not more?

Any route suggestions or advice is welcome.

this is my usual route out to Cape Ann as part of a century ride that I used to do for long distance training. I try to make it a loop to get it to be a full 100, but if you'd prefer a more direct out-and-back, take the original 13 miles (ie, Mass Ave. into Arlington to 2A to the Mystic Valley Parkway to Washington St. in Winchester and follow then start heading east at Salem St into Wakefield). Once you get to Wakefield Center, jump over to a reverse version of the return route take Salem St. to Lynnfield to Washington to Salem.

It's a little more out of the way, but much more scenic and less stop and go than using 60 to get out of the city.
    thanks a ton to both of you for taking the time to respond. gonna take some time and check out these routes and figure what looks best. already getting excited for this ride, going to happen sometime in the next 2 weeks.
    spokenword:

this is my usual route out to Cape Ann as part of a century ride that I used to do for long distance training. I try to make it a loop to get it to be a full 100, but if you'd prefer a more direct out-and-back, take the original 13 miles (ie, Mass Ave. into Arlington to 2A to the Mystic Valley Parkway to Washington St. in Winchester and follow then start heading east at Salem St into Wakefield). Once you get to Wakefield Center, jump over to a reverse version of the return route take Salem St. to Lynnfield to Washington to Salem.

It's a little more out of the way, but much more scenic and less stop and go than using 60 to get out of the city.

Thanks again for this route, I went today and used it, just turning off onto Salem/Lynnfield/Prospect right into Salem. Definitely a nice smooth and scenic route with minimal stress.

here is the actual route I took from JP
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

bump.

anyone have a nice ~20ish mile ride that's as little city as possible that starts in jp? i love the bnb 25 miler, but it's going to be too hilly for a first ride of the season for my riding broj.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

15 loops around Jamaica pond?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I want to go on whatever you decide on."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    'ross, we did a ride in 2013 down through the medfield rhododendron reservation, i think on 109 and hartford st. most of the way. it was flatish, and low traffic. then a bee tried to sting my eyeball. probably 30 out and back from your place. i threw out the cue sheet but you can make something up.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015 edited

wait, was that the ride where someone on this forum came to my house without pedals or bars wrapped? and asked if s/he could wrap his bars and borrow pedals? because that was weird.

OH YEAH S/HE WAS LATE TOO.

and then and then and then we thought s/he was dead while s/he was riding, but s/he wasn't. but everytime we asked if s/he was okay, s/he would say yeah but then ride 5mph?

s/he also needed to adjust his/her BIKE BECAUSE S/HE WAS RIDING A BIKE THAT DIDN'T WORK YET. AND THEN S/HE WAS LIKE, OMG, DO YOU MIND IF I STOP EVERY BLOCK TO ADJUST MY FIT?

...was it that ride?
    I dont think so. I think that was a loop around the cutler area, maybe?

or maybe s/he was just blocked totally out of my memory from that ride.

I think this was just a dangus/pingis ride.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

pingis.