Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

did this s/hangus cut the housing too short?
    did they funglis up a once nice bike?
    Anybody have recommendations for good climbing heavy rides? or particular hills/climbs you like to hit? getting pretty sick of my goddard/hellenic/mission hill routine, but it's the best mile/vertical ratio ive found. of course this is specific to road riding, not looking for trails.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited

Eastern Ave & Park Ave in Arlington. I typically start at the bottom of Eastern (technically Spring I guess) and ride up, do a few laps around the water tower at the top to catch my breath, then ride down Park and turn around at the Mass Ave Light and come back up, ride a few laps about the water tower, go down Eastern and repeat.

It's good because Eastern has a number of different kicker sections to it, so you can't settle into a rhythm, while Park is SUPER consistent so you can. It makes for a good mix IMO, and both roads are usually really quiet.

This is also a good little hilly loop. It's part of a longer ride I tend to do, but you can repeat the circle a few times. It's nothing crazy, but it's better than straight up and down hill repeats, and the turn off from Lexington street to Waltham Street (I think they call it Ripper Ave) is a beast. The initial climb up Wildwood/Johnson from route 3 is a good long and sustained effort.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    The NEBC Hills Route covers parts of the territory Ben mentioned, it's a good one too (I usually cut out part of the northern portion, NEBC started up there, I'd usually come in from Eastern Ave off Lake St or whatever that is there in Arlington, er... exactly where Ben is describing in the first paragraph of his post).

Anyway, I'll just repeat what he said. Good stuff there (there's a bunch of amusing hills over in Arlington Heights, like Oakland St climbing from Appleton Street towards Gray Street).
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015

I do the NEBC hills ride most weeks if anyone is interested, and it's on Thursdays now.
    nice, all of this looks sick. I'm down in JP and rarely ever consider anything up in that direction, usually just getting to hanscomb from where i am is an effort in and of itself, but maybe I'll try this route out this weekend! I'm just trying to complete this month's strava climbing challenge like the chode i am.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

I'm in Rozzie, and almost never think about riding that way either. That said, we have some good hills in the southerly direction. The hill I live on has some decent grades, and it's not too far to work in the Blue Hills...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    i dont know why it took me so long but i finally punched up parker hill ave on mission last night. my garmin was registering 20%+ grades, with a 9% overall, factoring in when it levels out a bit towards New England Baptist. ive been beating the hill up as a quick way to get vertical in, just by climbing and descending it from every possible angle, but that approach takes the cake.

Definitely need to try out blue hills, looks like theres some good climbing that direction
    I need to get back into distance riding shape- I went on a 45 miler a few weeks ago, and it definitely kicked my ass. I'm kind of want to ride out towards battleroad, but I'm not totally sure how to get out there? What's a good ride that takes me out that way and back that's around 50~ miles. I'd like to be in pretty places but able to go fast, so I dunno if the minuteman is on/off limits? Thanks.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

How comfortable are you riding in traffic? There is a speed limit on the Minuteman (not to mention 12 year old kids almost riding into you while looking behind them), but I know a lot of people don't like Mass Ave (just taking Mass Ave is the easiest way, once you're beyond Arlington Heights it's not that bad atmo).

A couple of other thoughts... if you want to avoid Mass Ave through Cambridge and East Arlington or whatever you call it by the Capital Theater you could take the bikepath, but then just past Arlington Center take Mill Street to Summer Street (right on Mill, left on Summer - which becomes Lowell St when you pass into Lexington), Summer's not as busy and has some pleasant mild hills. Then you cut back over, on... Maple Street, and you're right there on Mass Ave in Lexington at the bottom of Marrett Rd or whatever it's called that the entrance to "The Museum of Our National Sorry We Killed You and Stole Your Land and Then Called it Ours" is on.
    I'm v comfortable in traffic. I actually used to work out of a space right across from Capitol- the worst part about that stretch of Mass ave (after the Alewife parkway) is the fucking construction turning the road into a CX course. If I take mass ave, how do I get from there to battle? Thanks, dudeand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  

I hate to admit my ignorance on this, but the Battle Road is that stretch of Rte 2A that runs past the Tavern and the farm with the bull and all those historic sites, right?

I'm pretty sure that is Marrett (or, Marrett turns into it anyway), so either head out Mass Ave through Arlington and into Lexington and take a left on Marrett when you see the Museum of our National Heritage on your left, or if you want to get in another nice hill and dodge the boringish parts of Marrett, continue on Mass Ave into Lexington Ctr and bear left when you come to the green, that climbs a decent little hill and comes out to Marrett by the HS.

I imagine Arlington must leave Mass Ave like that on purpose to discourage speeding (not effective but a worthy goal). It is really nuts, particularly in the right lane just after you pass Lake headed inbound.

Or, I should say, in my experience it was, because I haven't actually lived in Boston in 2 years.

ETA: if you come back Marrett keep in mind there's some rough pavement on the downhill section (after Spring St inbound but definitely after Lincoln). Fell there pretty dramatically once and cracked a rib (it's not as bad as Mass Ave in Arlington or anything, I just stopped paying enough attention for a second and the bike came out from under me).
    How the fuck do you remember all of this if you haven't lived in Boston for two years?! I've lived in Boston since '08 and I'm so bad w/ this shit.

Thanks, I think I've figured out a good route.

Mass Ave is a shit show right now because they tearing up the sidewalks and putting in new, wider ones. Hopefully they'll do some roadwork too, when they're done.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  

Born and raised by people born and raised + ample travel by bike and car as an adult? I think I'm going to credit my parents though, when I drove a cab for a few years I was always finding myself in random places that I actually knew my way around because I had been there as a kid with my parents.

That and I loved riding out that way, and particularly out to Carlisle and Groton. So nice getting out of the city headed west/northwest (Wayland and Sudbury are nice too).
    Yeah, it's one of my favorite directions to ride but in all honesty, I haven't explored it nearly enough. I from Walpole, so I've down a handful of rides at that way into the Dover area and stuff, that's really pretty too. Thanks again, mateand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  

Nice, there's some nice riding down that way too, I rode down and met some people in Marion once, that section of 28 or 38 or whatever it is that goes through the middle of the lakes was pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015

Any particular roads for riding to Attleboro? Big BBQ to attend Saturday and I'd like to ride down then comm rail back up. Looks like rt 109 might be possibility..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015

109 doesn't go near attleboro. It is on the way to Providence, so find a boston to providence biking route. 109 brings you he other direction toward milford.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015

Don't have a route suggestion but I'd tag along if you wanted a ride partner.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2015

Least aggravating route to Providence? Asking for someone who doesn't ride too too much.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorMJ

joeyfresh:Least aggravating route to Providence? Asking for someone who doesn't ride too too much.

This is the route that I was on Sunday

https://goo.gl/maps/0Pemp

It wasn't bad; 2 reasonable sized hills. I might be doing another route this Saturday though
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

1A isn't bad...a little tight in places with trucks passing in the Norwood area. You ride right by the Walpole Penitentiary, which is interesting. Also right by a big ice cream stand (on 114, I think), which is also interesting.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Thanks!We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    The route I took to Providence, which I was given on here, was great.
    138 thru the Blue Hills into Stoughton, right on Plain St, left on Bay Road/Bay Street all the way into Taunton and then onto Rte 44 all the way into Providence.

Really simple and easy to follow, only really bad hills are at the start in the Blue Hills (gets you warmed up) and the Bay Road part of the ride (about 1/3 of the trip) is quite scenic and nice. The Rte 44 stretch is kind of lame, open road with people driving 50mph next to you, no shade or trees, but it's not awful (at least until you cross into RI and the shoulder shrinks to half size and the road condition deteriorates immediately) ... I did the ride on a single speed from JP in 2:45.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If anybody is doing this route and wants company, hit me up. I love state line rides.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2015

Anyone have an updated route suggestion for riding to Salem now that the northshore bike path (or whatever it's called) is mostly done?

The last post about it looks good but is also from 2013.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015

Sunday is loooooking beautiful again. But I'm getting a bit tired of my Walden Loop and visiting Lookout Farm mid December isn't the most exciting.
    Can anyone recommend (bonus points for links to routes) for a 30-40mile ride around here? I love riding the Northshore and the Cape, but I don't wanna take any trains this weekend. Any good out-n-backs with points of interest along the way?
    You could take Comm out to 135 to Natick Center? Pretty suburbany but interesting neighborhoods and snackeriesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015

Do the crw Saturday route. There's a 42 loop on their site that's solide-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly