Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011 edited

For all of you folks that rode the D2R2 on saturday, awesome job! It was easily one of the best things I have ever done on a bicycle and I have not been able to stop thinking about the experience since getting home saturday night.

For those of you who missed it, there is talk of organizing another truly self supported ride in October and I wanted to see who might be interested in heading back out to Deerfield (I know I am) for a 2nd round.

I guess the main things I wanted to get your input on would be:

a) Water - how would we refill along the way, drop jugs at key intersections the night before the ride? ideas?
    b) Food - detours to nearby town centers?
    c) Which route - 115? 180? Depending on the amount of people I suppose we could do 2 groups, it would just be super important to not lose track of anyone along the way in case something should happen.

Im hoping you guys will be into this and maybe have some more ideas/suggestions about how we can make it happen.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

Interesting, but thats CX season, so none for me.

A couple more things to consider though - 1) daylight will be scarce so the shorter route may be better, 2) a lot of the roads we were on are apparently "gone" as of now, thanks to ireneascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez

It sounds like you've thought it out fairly well... doing a water drop might be a good idea, could potentially do it the morning of the ride depending on what time people get started (one concern might be the dwindling amount of daylight hours).

I don't see why food couldn't, for the most part, be carried. Between jersey pockets and maybe a few people with hydration packs or large bike-borne bags, that should could cut it I'd think. I don't think there's anything in the part of VT the route goes through? Depending on where the route chosen crosses Rte 2 there *might* be some options (at least in terms of a gas station with a minimart) not far offcourse?

If people want to do the long course I'd suggest they take a good look at when it's gonna get dark and what time they'll need to get started (they may be fast enough that it doesn't matter).

Anyway, I'll likely be in presuming I've dealt with the broken shifter (almost impossible to imagine that I wouldn't have that taken care of) and the chosen date/my schedule/someone to watch the kid come together just right. I'd be interested in checking out the 115, but I could do the 180, whatever works for people.

[edit: hadn't seen Tristan's post, interesting thought about storm damage, hadn't given that aspect much thought].
    •  
      CommentAuthorlenny

Count me in for 115K.

Camp/lodge the night before and start at 7am. We should be able to get 10+ hours of daylight (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php).

I would be willing to drop water/food the day before; I think that might be easier than trying to figure out what town centers have services.
    I was actually thinking of a d2ReDo
    but yeah it's cross season :(Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorben

Also, I will be out of town. Let's do it in December when I get back.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    alexi, you racin this year?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    yeah i bought a new bike, i've been told if I don't race i'll be punched in the face.

single = time to raceTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I'm so down for this.
    Saturdays are tough for me though.
    I don't race so cross is no concern for me.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthortristan

"FROM: D2R2 - The Deerfield Dirt Road Randonnee 2011
    -------------------------------------------------

Items found so far:

One pair sunglasses.

One sushi-themed armwarmer.

One set of car keys.

The entire field is now under a foot of mud, but if you think you lost something on the course, please let Sandy know.

The amazing thing about the storm here was how it left most areas intact. I do not even have a stick to clean up off my lawn. But the Deerfield River is half a mile wide now, from east of Route 5 all the way over Lower Road.

Green River Road has been washed away completely in places, although this happened in 2005, and the road was rebuilt.

Eunice Williams Covered Bridge (the first covered bridge on the 115K and 40-mile) barely survived. One abutment was destroyed, putting the bridge sloping down at a 10-degree angle, and 150 feet of road before it, plus the dam, were obliterated ten feet deep. Unreal. They don't call it "flood plain" for nothing.

The saddest news is that our host Pioneer Gardens lost a staggering amount of uninsurable crops. We have donated leftover ride food to the affected workers, but they have a long road ahead."ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  

edit: Man, Tristan is always beating me to the punch... not good news for the locals.

Presumably Mill Village Rd will have dried out by the time October rolls around, but it sounds like alternate routes might need to be developed in a few places (most importantly Green River Rd, dunno how to work around that one).
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

^ was just about to post that, major bummer.RIDE METAL
    d2snowride in the winter?

I'm down for whatever, whenever, as long as I get to do that huge downhill on the 115 course.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011

It's not normally a big deal to ride into brattleboro from the northern point of the 115, but as brattleboro is one of the damaged towns, you might find it very sad to ride in there.

Same with Shelb. Falls. Easy detour at mile 63ish

If you haven't seen this already, someone mapped out the 115k
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/47228410
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011

Maggie is on board to be our support car. The plan would be for us to get out there early, then she would drive two to three miles ahead (rerouting to avoid jeep tracks and etc) with a fully stocked Subaru, let us catch up, and then jump ahead again. No one would have to carry tubes, a pump, food, or more than one bottle of water. Dancing Deer cookies could also be present.
    The first weekend of October is out, but the second should work.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    DANCING DEER?!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I'd like the third weekend pleaseTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Saturday or Sunday?
    Sunday please.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I'd like to give this a try. Good motivation to get stronger physically and mentally."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011

Has anyone talked to Sandy to see if the course would even be solid ground by that time?I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I imagine that would be a tough question to answer at this point...?
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011

Yea, I imagine it would be... but sticking a date in the ground seems... unwise? Perhaps some recon at the end of the month?I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

October 15th is the date Maggie can be our support car. I am planning on doing it then, regardless of who else comes.
    With a four bike rack, we can fit three more. Let me know who wants a seat in the car.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

I've always wanted a seat in your car. I'm in.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    I think I can do the 15th... my old lady is pencilling it in.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Booo for saturdays.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

If you three (Amos, Tim, and Sean) are game for Sunday the 16th, I can talk to her.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I can do either, but a decision needs to be made very soon, because my wife will need to put in her moonlighting requests, and she may well end up taking a shift for the day I'm not out riding (at which point I won't be able to switch days).
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

Either works for me.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

If it's a sunday I'm down to contribute gas $ & pulls in exchange for a ridee-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Okay, I'll talk to her tomorrow to see if Sunday is good for her and get back to you.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    aw i wanted to come?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Her and I both have Subarus. I'm going to ask ratattack Lauren if we can borrow her bike rack that day. If she says yes, that's one rack. If we can find two racks, we can take two cars and up to four more people.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

i may be down for the 16th, as would my lady (and her vehicle). we could take 2 other people and their bicycles. need to triple check my schedule though...RIDE METAL
    Presuming I can go I also haz vehicle... could probably borrow a rack from one of my parents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

She actually prefers Sunday, October 16th. The date is set.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

I got a thule rack that looks kinda like this: http://www.amazon.com/Thule-910XT-Passage-Trunk-Carrier/dp/B00152QOAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1315863650&sr=1-2

JFresh, you can come by and grab it if you'd like.
    ^^ Told the wife, she'll pencil it in and erase the old one.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I'd love to come, can contribute gas money, or drive my van that seats lots of people and bikes etc."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I might be able to finagle getting Urban's rental rack fo free.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlenny
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Sunday, October 16th. The date is set.

Going up the night before or day of? 100K, 117K, or 170K?
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

I'm so in.
    Hopefully the weather looks nice.
    My bike will likely have 25s and a 53/39 11-25 gearing.
    I don't want to suffer too hard.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorObo

You best bring your watts with you...

I suffered hard on 28s, with 50-34/11-28 (granted I'm way heavier than most of you folk. It just makes my descents faster!)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Going up day of. 100 or 115k. Since daylight will be more scarce then, I suggest 100k.
    Here's the rub. I suspect that some of you (mrotown, BAUMANN, craig I'm looking at you) will be exceptionally faster than some others of us. This creates a bit of a dilemma for the whole support car idea. The car will be waiting for the slowest person to catch up before moving to the next check point and will not be leaving anyone behind, but if you freaks are faster than that you'll be left without support. I'm not sure how you will resolve this. Discuss, please.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    If just one or two of the fast people carry hydration packs they can carry a little bit of food with them, I doubt anyone will die... and if they have some sort of technical... that'll slow 'em down?

It's unlikely to be hot, so probably no serious worries about hydration... I'd almost argue support is unnecessary (after my experience in August I can see there would be times when a support car would be a welcome thing, unrideable bike miles and miles from the car would suck).
    I talked to a local today, she will let us know what roads are open. I'm also raising the idea of a 30 donation to reconstruction effortsTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited

Not a bad idea...

It looked like it might be possible to detour on the otherside of the Green River (i.e. avoiding Green River Rd). I meant to look at a topographical map but didn't get around to it... still, the street names made it seem unlikely they'd be on a floodplain.

I heard some snippet on NPR about the cost of storm damage... sounded like Greenfield saw the worst of it.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011

Stormy, they had a bikereg "event" for donations, but its closed now... Sandy sent this along after the hurricane hit:

Please send donations to:

Green River Village Preservation Trust
    Kim Hamilton, Treasurer
    2014 Carpenter Hill Road
    Guilford, VT 05301I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011

I'd like to come to this. Could my bike and I get a ride in someone's car?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011

Obo:You best bring your watts with you...
    I suffered hard on 28s, with 50-34/11-28 (granted I'm way heavier than most of you folk. It just makes my descents faster!)
    I was rockin 35c file treads with 46-38/12-28, never made it out of the small ring. if I were to do it again, I would slap a med/long cage derailleur on with a 32/34t in the back, for those special moments right when you're just...about...to...bonk aaaaaaand...bail out gear! spin the rest of the way up. getting off and walking blows.

as far as support goes, i would definitely bring my camelbak again, and i would fill every nook and cranny with clif bars and shit like that. if you ride the right tires and watch where you roll, flats really arent a big issue....now watch me get a flat on my ride home from work...RIDE METAL