Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

I'm constantly asking people what they think of this "thing" and that "thing" and i guess it'd be nice to have a thread to house the answers.

to start this off, i need some reviews on cross tires.
    no i'm not doing cross but when i'm back in DC i'd like to have some tires that'll help me get out the door earlier in the season when the bike paths are still slick and the roads are too dangerous.

also, lizard skin handlebar wrap. i heard theyre really great for about a season and then they start wearing out really badly. thoughts?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Mud 2s were rec'd to me as the tire you should get if you get only one tire. I really like them, they stick to the ground in many different conditions like freaking velcro and keep me upright. Also, they are decently priced..YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

mud 2's are a great all around tire, ella speaks the truth. depends on the surface you will ride on most though, if you will be on pavement 50% of the time, I would look at some file treads like conti cx speed (which are good and dirt cheap) or something similar.

i love my lizard skins tape, it is grippy as hell and has just the right amount of cushioning (in the 1.8mm thickness). i have had mine on my cx bike for d2r2 and 9 cx races so far and it is holding up GREAT with only one small tear from some retard threw his bicycle into/under mine trying to remount in a crowd.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

touring/"city" tires > cross tires for on-road usegone
    thanks everyone. theyll be mostly for mostly snowy/icy conditions on uncleared bike paths that would be getting me into and out of the city.
    i'm thinkin a mud2 up front and a file tread in the back.

good news with the lizard skins. thanks.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    BUY STUDDED TIRES FOR ICY CONDITIONS

GODNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ....not everyone falls off their bike as often as you craigers, knobbies might be just fine for me.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    not even knobbies. file treads work just fine in the winter
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

Mick A Doodle Doo:theyll be mostly for mostly snowy/icy conditions on uncleared bike paths that would be getting me into and out of the city.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

not even file treads. slicks work just fine in the winterascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

listen, i lived in VA last year during the same season. the uncleared paths were slick as fuck while riding on the aptly named 'slicks' ..it was nothing like riding in boston in the winter, i've done that too, because they get more ice than snow, and when they do get snow it crusts over or quickly melts and then freezes.
    so last year i chose to do my rare rides on my 29er with shallow treads, a great improvement then, but now, i'd rather not ride such a bulky bike and have something with gears, but still some grip and stability. which is why i'm going to assume that cyclocross tires are the best approach because it will be more similar to winter cyclocross conditions than anything else.
    if you feel differently, please go ride your next race with slicks and tell me how you do.

sorry to be crass but i just don't think you're getting the picture.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Having ridden in maine and vermont on slicks AND fat tires for many many years, I'm pretty happy saying that slicks are the way to go.

crass that, mickstar.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    mickstar..i like it.

va and vt have very different weather patterns and leave very different messes behind when the storms pass.
    i have slicks so if i need 'em ill use em, but i'll still be getting the knobby and potentially a file tread as a first defense. thanks for the suggestion though.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

I found some 32c WTB all-terrain-a-soruses in my tire pile and used on and off for the past couple of years. they have a relatively deep mtb style tread but the knobs are pretty tight making the outer surface a smooth and rounded profile. I've used them on every type of surface and condition and had no negative feedback. that meaning they grip well enough and spin well enough and to be honest i didn't really notice them at all, which is really the quality i look for most in a tire. yrmv.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    YOU ARE ALL INCREDIBLY WRONG.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    banana truffles:YOU ARE ALL INCREDIBLY WRONG.

about what??
    ALL THE THINGSYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorthejit

studded tires are for pussies, and not worth the money, AND not needed in boston. just take some god damn fuckn air out of your tires. done
    BUT SEAN! you asked for cx tire reviews in the context of wintry riding. now you're getting suggestions for tire choice for the winter based on peoples' experiences and aren't liking what you're hearing. whisper me whatever answer you want to hear and i'll post it as advice to you.
    Can we just say to each his own and be done with this argument forever?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortristan

thats way less fun.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorslowski

for the record studded tires are extremely rad on large sheets of ice such as frozen lakes, rivers, and puddles. they just get a bad rap because people buy them as a crutch for their poor handling and are disappointed in their return on investment during the ride to the store in some weaksauce coastal winter.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    • CommentAuthorthejit

agreed
    There was one day last year where i was almost literally the only messenger working downtown in a blizzard that turned into freezing rain, and everyone else at my company had fallen and hurt themselves. There was no sand on the streets and they weren't plowing. I did 37 runs that day and only fell down twice - once walking to a building and once when I put my foot down in an intersection.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Why don't we just rename this the "pointless argument thread"."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    What are folks feelings on the Abus locks. I know Morgie and some others are using em. Thoughts. +'s -'s compared to Kryptos?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorthejit

they tend to be a little more expensive. and the mini i guess doesn't fit around some parking meters. but i guess the steel is stronger than most kryptos
    6kidz bro:Why don't we just rename this the "pointless argument thread".

slippery slope, broi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:
    6kidz bro:Why don't we just rename this the "pointless argument thread".

slippery slope, bro

yeah, I mean while we're at it let's rename the forum Pointless Arguments.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    as for abus, I know if you strip the casing off them they look super cool and fit around almost everything, but will ding your frame to high heavens.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Opinions on rice cookers?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

RICE COOKERS ARE FOR PUSSIES. BE A MAN AND GLOWER AT THE RICE UNTIL IT GETS SOFT.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

(Did I do that correctly?)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Heh, yes.

NuBen, Zojirushi makes an awesome one and it's japanese so it's excellent for sushi rice.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

slowski:for the record studded tires are extremely rad on large sheets of ice such as frozen lakes, rivers, and puddles. they just get a bad rap because people buy them as a crutch for their poor handling and are disappointed in their return on investment during the ride to the store in some weaksauce coastal winter.

I'm always surprised at the amount of ire studded tires seem to draw. You do realize that not everyone commutes up and down Commonwealth Avenue and Mass Ave right? I've ridden them every year since I went down bad on some black ice and got knocked out cold. I guess I must not know how to handle a bike right?

As far as the conditions Sean is describing I'm not sure cross tires are the right choice. If it's melt and then freeze stuff no amount of rubber tread is going to get you traction. Larger volume tires are probably the right move because you'll have a larger contact patch, but when it's ice the only thing grabbing are studs.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^THANK YOUNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

mrotown:As far as the conditions Sean is describing I'm not sure cross tires are the right choice. If it's melt and then freeze stuff no amount of rubber tread is going to get you traction. Larger volume tires are probably the right move because you'll have a larger contact patch, but when it's ice the only thing grabbing are studs.
    vs
    CraigwithScissors:BUY STUDDED TIRES FOR ICY CONDITIONS

GOD

no need tedward, sean gave me what i wanted. lulz.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Somebody recommend me a good CHEAP coffee grinder...unstuck in time
    Mortar and Pestle. Done.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

hario makes a small hand mill
    less than $30
    donee-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    go to starbucks
    doneTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

are rats good pets?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    ^ yes.
    •  
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

monty has 2 i think. he likes them so much he paid somethin like $300 for surgery on one of em to keep em alive.

and really? in the product review thread?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

whoever says slicks work fine in the snow is full of shit, imho. you need tires that have a larger contact patch in order to maintain traction. even though i'm not a physicist, i am going to declare that this is basic physics, people. large contact patch > your theory that narrow tires can cut through the snow to gain traction. while it is true that i have experienced a point where the treads on wide tires have filled with snow, causing me infinite falls on the semi-slick sheets of ice on the street, this is highly unlikely if you choose a good tread pattern. also: do not buy specialized armadillos for snow riding. they're wide and cut proof...but are also hard as crap, and if the treads fill up with snow you're boned.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Show me a tread pattern that doesn't fill with snow.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Apparently my and everyone else's years of experience riding slicks in the snow is wrong then? I've done it 3 years now and never crashed, and I'm far from the best rider on here.

Rats are great pets, I got to take care of a couple over a summer once and they were awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorslowski

I have 2 sets of studded tires and love them, I don't use them for commuting because i don't commute. I wasn't making a personal attack it's just their recommendation seems to always follow the same path.

mrotown:

I'm always surprised at the amount of ire studded tires seem to draw.

I guess I must not know how to handle a bike right?

If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

rats are wonderful pets and very sweet. however, it's really easy to develop a rat allergy by handling them and then touching a mucous membrane (nose, eyes, lips) before you wash your hands. i had to give my rats up because i got really allergic to them.

:(