Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

^that was because of this statement:
    slowski:people buy them as a crutch for their poor handling

Some people do, but other people live on roads that don't get plowed, or have to ride in every type of weather ever.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorslowski
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

okay i did type that but i thought it read that the poor reviews of studded tires are usually coming from that subset of people.

sorry, what i was picturing was almost every craigslist posting for "slightly used studded tires".If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    ahh, ok. I get it now. Yes, that makes sense.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorslowski

I find the best products out there are the ones you notice the least. if you buy something that doesn't break the bank, installs relatively easy and then you forget about it, it's probably deserving of praise.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

ratattack:rats are wonderful pets and very sweet. however, it's really easy to develop a rat allergy by handling them and then touching a mucous membrane (nose, eyes, lips) before you wash your hands. i had to give my rats up because i got really allergic to them.

:(

Boo re the allergies. There's a pet shop in Newtonville I plan to check out soon.

Almost as exciting as getting a rat is building a crazy habitat for one!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

surprisefries:Apparently my and everyone else's years of experience riding slicks in the snow is wrong then?
    Yes. You are wrong. Carry on.dongpincher 1000
    6kidz bro:are rats good pets?

only if you're a fucking oogle.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

an oogle?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Personally, I love my studded tires and run them for the whole winter (mostly because I'm too lazy to keep changing tires). No, they don't wear down. They're heavy as shit, which actually has two positive side effects. I have to work harder to go the same speed, which keeps me warmer, and when I change back to slicks in the spring, I feel super fast!I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

IN ANY CASE,

found a burr coffee grinder for $30 at Costco. Not too shabby and the french pressed coffee I made from it tasted delish.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

I personally find that 4.7" knobbys are the way to go for winter conditions.
    Owen is the most correct.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    .Take-off everything but your rainboots
    banana truffles:Owen is the most correct.

Damned right.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    product recommendations for good over the ear headphones?
    i bought (what i thought were) nice sony ones. they don't really cancel out noise and the sound is just kinda dim and hollow. in every aspect my cheap radioshack buds are better
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011

I really like my audio technica ath-anc7. Great cancellation, and they continue to work when the battery (AAA) dies. The cord is removable, which is great for when you stand up and forget you're plugged into something. The sound is fantastic across the midrange, but lacks some lowend punch.
    Comes with a nice carry case. Ive had good customer service when I've dealt with the company, as well.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    hmm
    they don't necessarily have to be active noise cancelling ones.

also, im pretty sure most of what i listen to is very low and very high end
    I forget what brand my friend christa just bought for herself but they're fuckking awesome. I'll report back.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    update: these.
    http://www.klipsch.com/Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    have you considered closed vs. open, circumaural vs supra-aural? knowing which one you are leaning toward would help give some rec's.

closed will generally give you a better low end, open tends to have better staging but lets in more ambient noise. audio lab in harvard square has a good selection of high end cans and will let you try out any pair in the shop. headphones are quite personal and comfort can be just as big a factor as sound so it can be worth the time spent shopping around...

i have a pair of akg k601s that i think are dreamy but they may be a bit more than you are looking to spend at ~$350. also, an ipod cannot supply enough power to drive them which gives you one other thing to consider, impedance.

^i have no experience with their headphones, but i have a pair of klipsch image s4 in-ear buds and they sound nearly as good as most mid-high end headphones with a surprisingly good low-end. they can be a bit uncomfortable at times howeverbowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    hm, i hadn't given it that much thought
    mostly looking for sturdy, comfortable, good sound quality
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011

it's jitensha:^i have no experience with their headphones, but i have a pair of klipsch image s4 in-ear buds and they sound nearly as good as most mid-high end headphones with a surprisingly good low-end. they can be a bit uncomfortable at times however

I have a pair of these as well. Good value, surprising low-end, and small enough to take with you. Comes with a case to prevent destruction in your pockets/bag etc."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I have crank brothers candy sl pedals right now and found that they would get gummed up with mud/dirt sometimes during races. What do you guys think of the eggbeater pedals for cx? Seems like quite a few racers use them.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

The recurring tale is that eggbeaters are breaky, but they clear mud very well and have easy entry.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    breaky in what way? from crashing or bc they are poorly made?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan

the gates snap off. I think mostly from pedal strikes, but Im not sure. Also, there was an epidemic of the pedal separating from the spindle, but from what i understand thats been solved.

You can avoid these issues by just using times and being done with it.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    i love both eggbeaters and candy pedals. they've never catastrophically failed on me like all time pedals have.
    most euro pros use the top of the line shimano 900something pedals
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

owen:I personally find that 4.7" knobbys are the way to go for winter conditions.

surly bonerMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

most of the eggbeater failures are in the bearings, but when that happens they are still rebuildable. i only broke the gates when i used them offroad, probably from pedalstrike. the only thing that i didn't like about them was they sucked to pedal in regular shoes or while not clipped in because of the pedal shape, i found they just rolled until your foot came off.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    banana truffles:breaky in what way? from crashing or bc they are poorly made?
    tristan:the gates snap off. I think mostly from pedal strikes, but Im not sure. Also, there was an epidemic of the pedal separating from the spindle, but from what i understand thats been solved.

You can avoid these issues by just using times and being done with it.

Don't listen to this, I've broken two pairs of Candy's (the spring broke on one and the spindle cracked on another) but used 3 pairs of eggbeaters with not a single complaint. and I beat the ever-loving shit out of them.

or you can get mallets and trust that they will never, ever break.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorowen

Also, take into consideration that there has been some serious redesigning of most of the crank bros pedals in the last two years or so.
    What do you mean, owen?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK

vs

Plastic vs metal wings. stamped vs forged steel clip-in mechanism. the spring also got a bit thicker. I have the Candy III and they rulee.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorowen

They redesigned a bunch of their stuff recently. The newer ones will be called the candy/eggbeater/mallet, whatever 1, 2, 3, or 11, as supposed to 1,2, 3, 4. In addition to calling everything something different, they got rid of the smarty pedals (the lower end candys, known for falling off the spindle and otherwise being utter crap). They also changed the design of the platforms on alot of them. Too me, the newer ones just feel less shitty, which is weird, but it just feels like its made better. I think epic knows more about it, he's quite the fan of crank bros stuff.

But yeah, those old smarty ones can be found for like 25 bucks on eBay. Don't buy them, they totally suck. The newer candy 1's still have a plastic platform, but are just entry level, not utter shit.
    • CommentAuthorgc

it boggles my mind that gary can absolutely destroy nearly every bike part in incomprehensible ways, except for the entry-level eggbeaters that i sold him.gone
    • CommentAuthorgc

also: high end spds rule.gone
    • CommentAuthorowen

^while I prefer crank bros for the mud shedding and rebuildability, before switching, I had the same set of deore spd's for several years, and they were seriously bombproof. Great pedal, I never felt the need for anything else until I started racing cross. The only spd bummer I've experienced is stepping in gum and then clipping into my pedals and getting them full of shit.
    any rec's for cycling computers that are dead simple and at least relatively bombproof? the only functionality i care about is the odometer and i plan to use it daily and in inclement weatherbowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

cateye strada wirelesse-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^+1. So good.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

3rded.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    my previous cycling computer used to go into standby if idle for too long and then i'd have to hit a button or it wouldn't log any data when i started moving again...does the strada do this? is it common to all cycling computers? i want to be able to mount it tucked away somewhere and forget about it

absolute ideal would be something without a display that just logs the data so i can play with it on a computer later, but i have a feeling no such thing exists...bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    smartphone in a zip-lock bag?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

something with a wire
    it's jitensha:my previous cycling computer used to go into standby if idle for too long and then i'd have to hit a button or it wouldn't log any data when i started moving again...does the strada do this? is it common to all cycling computers? i want to be able to mount it tucked away somewhere and forget about it

absolute ideal would be something without a display that just logs the data so i can play with it on a computer later, but i have a feeling no such thing exists...

My sigma is pretty awesome. It works really really well, and while it does standby, it automatically turns back on when you start again, within two wheel turns. Haven't gotten it wet yet but I bought the "Weather-resistant" level, and they also make a weatherproof one.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    leg warmers? any pairs people swear by?
    i know i freakin' LOVE my Swiftwick arm warmers, but they don't sell leg warmers.

would a fleece-lined pair be overkill?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011

i got the castelli nanoflex leg warmers this year and love them. the nanoflex material causes water to bead up and not soak in. A++
    that sounds freakin fantastic!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Why not just wear tights? Serious question.

eta: Just so you have the option to take them off without getting nakers, or is there another reason?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    because the tights (i call them leggings, idk if they qualify as tights or not) i have dont work well together with chamois/bib shorts over them in my experience. and id like to use them for cold rugby practice this spring too (we play on turf) as we dont start active hitting until about mid-march if i recall correctly.
    and if they get to warm i can take them off and tie them to my handlebars if i dont have a bag for em, cant do that with leggings.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.