Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I have Amica renter's insurance, it was much cheaper than Liberty Mutual.

My doctor is at Harvard Vanguard Kenmore, I think it's a good practice, and they have a lot of stuff (and staff) in-house so HMO-referral crap and last-minute appointment crap is fairly uncomplicated.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

Hey I've been riding D-A 9000 lately and found that it performs and feels no better than ultegra 6800
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

Figure out how much renter's insurance you need (add up the value of your stuff).
    Then, call around - you'll want to ask about depreciation vs full-value replacement policies. You'll want to ask about the need for riders for your valuable objects (bicycles). You'll want to think about the degree of personal help you get on these phone calls - its your best reading on how well they'll deal with you when it comes time to actually use the policy.

Fwiw, Amica does full replacement value (meaning they give you enough money to replace the thing, not whatever they determine its worth), and they don't require riders for bikes (only expensive jewelry). The service I've gotten from them has been top notch, and I found them to be the cheapest of the options I called.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

Amica was mentioned a bunch on r/boston, and I was thinking of pursuing them as my first lead anyway so it's good to hear that you've had positive experiences with them.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Anyone used a saddle bag like this?

Thoughts or recommendations? I want something for extra long days in the saddle where I might need more food and some clothing options and lights, or for minimal bikepacking where we spend the night in a motel or something (so all I really need is clothes) and come back the next day.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

on the topic of insurance, I recently came across bicycle insurance. anyone know whether it's worth getting it?
    • CommentAuthorryan t

rock dathe:Hey I've been riding D-A 9000 lately and found that it performs and feels no better than ultegra 6800

I've heard the same thing about Sram Force/Red. You're probably not supposed to notice anything unless maybe shifting under an 800W load, or the marginal weight difference racing up the App Gap, or that sort of thing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

The thing I noticed is that 9000 drops chain on about 10% of double shifts and 6800 never does
    ben:Anyone used a saddle bag like this?

Thoughts or recommendations? I want something for extra long days in the saddle where I might need more food and some clothing options and lights, or for minimal bikepacking where we spend the night in a motel or something (so all I really need is clothes) and come back the next day.

No experience with either that one or this one, but I saw this QR rack & bag combo while looking for something else a few months ago and thought it looked kinda sweet: http://www.arkel-od.com/en/tailrider.html (link to rack is below the video)

buuuuuut I guess the Arkel one is heavier, smaller and more expensive, but hey, maybe your legs will hit that Apidura bagi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I have nothing but good things to say about the carradice SQR tour I have. I've used it on weekend trips with a comfortable amount of stuff split between the saddlebag and a handlebar bag. 16L vs the apidura's 14, and you can always strap big shit to the top anyway. the all fabric attachment of the apidura looks like more of a pain in the ass to put the bag on and off. who knows if it's more secure or less...

You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

+1 to this

i use a swift zeitgeist saddlebag and a carradice bagman support, and while it's (imho) steezier, i think paul's setup is better for big capacity and ease of use
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

you guys the oregon regional tofu, azumaya, is nowhere near as good as new england's nasoya
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

and the pizza sucks
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015

I want to repaint my aluminum frame/steel fork anyone know any good shops local?

I saw that there's a shop in allston, pike powdercoating, does anyone have any experience with these guys?
    • CommentAuthorben

paul jameson:I have nothing but good things to say about the carradice SQR tour I have. I've used it on weekend trips with a comfortable amount of stuff split between the saddlebag and a handlebar bag. 16L vs the apidura's 14, and you can always strap big shit to the top anyway. the all fabric attachment of the apidura looks like more of a pain in the ass to put the bag on and off. who knows if it's more secure or less...
    I like how sturdy the carradice looks, but I've been trying to find fabric attachment options since I'll be using it on a carbon post.

The Apidura comes in a 17.5l option as well, but that seems larger than I'd need for my intended uses? I don't know - I've never done credit card or single night bikepacking stuff so don't have a good sense of size.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

what about jp tofu
    rock dathe:you guys the oregon regional tofu, azumaya, is nowhere near as good as new england's nasoya

you get Surata up there, hoomb?

Their website is almost entirely comic sans but their soy game is pretty tite.

rock dathe:and the pizza sucks

This is true, please send Big Daddy'sYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ben:Recommendations for renter's insurance? Or where to start investigating it?

I don't have a car or other insurance to bundle it with.

If you have any US Military/government family members, USAA is great. My renters insurance is under $10/month.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

ThreePete:I want to repaint my aluminum frame/steel fork anyone know any good shops local?

I saw that there's a shop in allston, pike powdercoating, does anyone have any experience with these guys?
    LMGTFY.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

dq how do i change the whole forum to comic sans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015

#slowclap
    rock dathe:dq how do i change the whole forum to comic sans?

I've been wanting this for years.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Anyone have a fee free hsa account?

Td just started charging a $4 monthly feee-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015 edited

ben:
    paul jameson:I have nothing but good things to say about the carradice SQR tour I have. I've used it on weekend trips with a comfortable amount of stuff split between the saddlebag and a handlebar bag. 16L vs the apidura's 14, and you can always strap big shit to the top anyway. the all fabric attachment of the apidura looks like more of a pain in the ass to put the bag on and off. who knows if it's more secure or less...
    I like how sturdy the carradice looks, but I've been trying to find fabric attachment options since I'll be using it on a carbon post.

The Apidura comes in a 17.5l option as well, but that seems larger than I'd need for my intended uses? I don't know - I've never done credit card or single night bikepacking stuff so don't have a good sense of size.

I own a revelate pika, which is incredibly well thought out and designed. Way way ahead of the standard messenger bag garbage in terms of materials, design, and construction.
    Would recommend the pika heartily.

The fabric/velcro will eventually rub off paint, especially if you ride in dust/dirt. Probably will do similar to carbon clearcoat.

I tried to mount the above-linked sqr tour to a carbon seatpost once, but the clamp didn't go small enough to fit the 25.0 ergopost on my look. gave up and put it on another bike.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

True. My carbon frame took a beating from my revelate tangle in just one ride. It was 200 miles and very dusty.

Wrap all contact points in clear plastic tape for suree-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015 edited

gc:
    I own a revelate pika, which is incredibly well thought out and designed. Way way ahead of the standard messenger bag garbage in terms of materials, design, and construction.
    Would recommend the pika heartily.

The fabric/velcro will eventually rub off paint, especially if you ride in dust/dirt. Probably will do similar to carbon clearcoat.

I tried to mount the above-linked scr tour to a carbon seatpost once, but the clamp didn't go small enough to fit the 25.0 ergopost on my look. gave up and put it on another bike.

Graham, what kind of gear can you fit in the Pika? I've been looking at the Revelate seat bags for a while but didn't want to commit without seeing one in person.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2015 edited

rock dathe:
    rock dathe:
    pocky:

LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.
    LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.
    LMGTFY.

::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2015

Thinking of swapping out the frame on my mountain bike. Its a softail with limited clearance, which has been an issue with the sticky mud down here. I'm thinking about finding a pretty basic aluminum hardtail. Needs to take 26in disc wheels. Any recommendations? Is there much to gain over the basic Nashbar frame? Bikeisland has a few, there are some Giant XTC from Chinese sellers on eBay. Are there better options that aren't so expensive I might as well get a full suspension?A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

how are you still a newb?
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I'm a total newb when it comes to mountain biking.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    I was talking to tristan about this on sunday. My MTB is a run-of-the-mill 2005 Giant Rainier that got the fork, stem, wheels, and bars from my old Schwinn full suspension when I decided to harden my tail. the upgrades I made were minimal: old deore brakes and a 1 x 10 sram setup with the race face narrow-wide 30T chainring on some beat up cranks. Maybe like $250 worth of stuff, if that. It's the very definition of good enough. I shred the hell out of it and don't have to worry about breaking something nice. Getting a bike with modern geo and 650b or 29" wheels would be a huge investment compared to this thing.

If you're looking for an aluminum 26" hardtail MTB, at this point I think a frame is a frame is a frame. just buy whatever semi-nice 2000s era bike is cheapest on craigslist and save your money for an eventual upgrade when you realize that mountain biking is the awesomest and you sell all your other bikes and start drinking MTN DEW for breakfast.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Don't be an ass, buy Dora's bike
    I DRINK MTN DEW FOR BREAKFASTYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015

I've seen some nicer early '00 hardtail frames like this but I feel like 15 years of ride on an aluminum frame is risky versus a brand new frame. And I'm in Virginia (re: dora bike)A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015

dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015 edited

^^ There are nice 26" hardtails to be found cheap that are made out of good steel. I got Tony Montana (True Temper AVR) for free on the MIT Reuse list and put a decent fork on it. But like Paul says, something more modern makes a big difference if you're a shitty rider like me. I can ride things on the fatbike that would terrify me on the 26er, and I have since mostly relegated the 26er to winter commuting. But Sourman (who used to race XC) shredded the shit out of a rigid 80's StumpJumper and strongly believed that the Church of Rigid makes you a better rider.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I've got a Kelly Deluxe as my loaner mountain bike. OX Platinum tubing. Its a great bike, but beat to shit. Riding on it is what made me want to swap the soft tail's frame. So I wanted to try something other than steel.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    roburrito: Its a great bike, but beat to shit.

I don't see the problem.

Take your fancy pants off and try to break something.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Its not a one or the other thing. They are both being ridden. I like having an extra bike to try and get friends, coworkers, and my significant other into mountain biking. The soft tail suffers from having very little clearance in the rear stays and is getting mucked up in the weird Virginia clay they have here. To the point where the wheel will no longer turn. The Kelly keeps going but the other bike needs to be constantly scraped of mud. I guess when the trails dry up this will be less of a problem. But its components are solid so I'd like to transfer to them to a frame that will be a little more usable.

But I guess I'll pick up the Nashbar frame because no one has really suggested alternatives...A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    • CommentAuthorbaker
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

Sette "riken" (I think) is a popular choice. It's cheap and sturdy.I am the reason your son is crying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

STOP SAYING SOFT TAIL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

review request: cargo nets. what are some nice ones and why?
    Nuggetross:STOP SAYING COTTON TAIL.

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Nuggetross:STOP SAYING SOFT TAIL.

Is full-squish the preferred term or what?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Davis, soft tail is a type of suspension that relies on frame flex rather than a pivot. It is the only phrase to describe that kind of frame.