Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

SOFT TAILS
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015

roburrito:But I guess I'll pick up the Nashbar frame because no one has really suggested alternatives...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015 edited

Just keep in mind the Nashbar frame has a rather short TT. Check the geometry chart before you decide what size to order: http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/productinfo/NB-MFA-SIZING.gif::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    please recommend your favorite cruiser/riser bar.
    something like if a standard riser bar had 30-45deg backsweep instead of just 9deg.
    not super wide, nothing too mustache-y, preferably black, preferably (but not necessarily) 31.8mm, can accept a 22mm brake lever clamp.
    Don't know if 22.2 is the same thing as 22, but VO Porteur bars get my vote. They look really wide, but they're just shoulder width.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015

I really like the bars Davis has on his Chodos, not sure what they're called though."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015

kalloy tourist bar
    @tiny: yeah, essentially anything but a '23'. i bought a pair of VO bars once, couldn't get standard shifters or brake levers on, had to do a shit ton of filing and sanding to get it to work. not again
    @6kidz: i don't know what any of those words means
    @rock daeth: the al080s seem totally reasonable

the kalloy pg riser seems like a good idea, though 670 is a bit wide for a commuter bar. the fyxation alterrea and fairdale archer also seem like viable options.
    I actually have the VO Porteur bars in both 22.2mm and 23.8mm - I have standard everything (tektro FL750 levers, sram x5 shifter) except expanding bar plugs, somehow on the 22, and wacky everything on the 23.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I love my VO Montmarte bars, but getting the brake handle on and off is a big pain.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited

nerdo:Graham, what kind of gear can you fit in the Pika? I've been looking at the Revelate seat bags for a while but didn't want to commit without seeing one in person.

the pika has many compression options- rolltop exterior design, the straps that hold it to the saddle rails double as compression straps to reduce girth, internal compression strap. its small-ish (6-12l) and a sort of odd shape, unlike the rectangular shape of a pannier so best suited to soft squishy gear like clothes or sleeping stuff. hard bulky things like tent poles or a cookpot or something wouldn't work as well.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015

what company makes the sturdiest laptops? all my past HPs have spit tiny screws out at me over time, and my current one has literally busted open at the seam. based on the noises it's making, it has a VERY limited lifespan remaining. help me find a computer i won't explode! (and no i never drop them!)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

hey, this site might be helpful.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

a_lion:what company makes the sturdiest laptops? all my past HPs have spit tiny screws out at me over time, and my current one has literally busted open at the seam. based on the noises it's making, it has a VERY limited lifespan remaining. help me find a computer i won't explode! (and no i never drop them!)

I'm a fan of Lenovo personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

is a dell covered in styrofoam the new jansport + garbage bag?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited

Panasonic Toughbook or GTFO.

::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I literally beat my last Lenovo into pieces with a hammer, but I've heard some people haven't had that experience.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Nuggetross:hey, this site might be helpful.
    i mean isn't this sort of question the point of this thread?That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^yeah, but it seemed like you didn't do any research beforehand. therefore plungus has been called:

-what's your definition of "sturdy"?
    -what's your budget?
    -what os do you want?
    -do you want help or do you just like to type?

let me try this...

what company makes the sturdiest bikes? all my past mercier's have spit tiny pieces out at me over time, and my current one has literally busted open at the chode. based on the noises it's making, it has a VERY limited lifespan remaining. help me find a bike i won't explode! (and no i never drop them!)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

yeaaah ok fine.
    -something that does not start dropping tiny screws a few months in
    -cheapish (so those toughbooks are outside my range)
    -windows of some version or other
    -i would, yes, actually like suggestions for new brands, as i can't remember a time when i didn't have hp pavillions, and they have all had screws fall out randomly/more frequently than you'd hope. i shall be checking out lenovos tonight!That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Lenovo means Thinkpad, not Ideapad. Business versus consumer. Stick with an X or T series depending on your size preference. They've introduced some lower end models in the last few years that dont live up to the Thinkpad name. Their outlet store has some really great deals and their refurbs are usually as good as new.

Was your HP an Elitebook? In my experience they're pretty well built. In my experience working IT, some screws back out no matter how rugged the laptop is and whether or not it has threadlock. Just re-threadlock and regularly check for loose screws. Its like owning a bike and never checking your brakes.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

-1 for lenovo"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

the HPs have all be Pavillions of some number or other (this one's a g6).
    i fear my bike maintenance routine is pretty shit also. but i had not known that testing your computer's screws was a sort of normal thing one is expected to do.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015 edited

I have an acer aspire that is pretty damn sturdy, but it's a slightly older model and a gamer model (just suped up specs) so it's built like a tank but a lot of Acer's are shit and flimsy.

I really like thinkpad's so +1.

I dunno if system76 makes windows loaded laptops, but their highly-regarded in linux community for consumer use and affordable.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015

a_lion:the HPs have all be Pavillions of some number or other (this one's a g6).
    i fear my bike maintenance routine is pretty shit also. but i had not known that testing your computer's screws was a sort of normal thing one is expected to do.

And most normal people aren't going to look at their brakepads until the indicator starts scraping against the rim and they take it to the shop. Most people won't tighten screws until their screen is about to fall off.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've never had to tighten the screws on my Mac laptop. Sturdy as shit but they're not exactly affordable.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:I've never had to tighten the screws on my Mac laptop. Sturdy as shit but they're not exactly affordable.

I was gonna say, for as much as Apple fucks you ("apple ram" is a scam), the bodies and construction of their laptops are pretty bombproof. They also play well with other OS's.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Highly recommend getting an xbox instead of a laptop
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Or playstation those are p cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

naw, get bikes instead."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

how can i look at cat pictures with just a bike??That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    printer at work or library + scotch tapeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^ +1and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015

You ride your bike to a cat shelter."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

If your laptop is losing screws, try deleting system32."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015 edited

anyone use the evo LITE mini-6?
    current evo mini 5 is crapping out, only after just 3 years of commuting to work and stuff!

gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

whats crapping out about it? lube it up. If that doesnt help, send it to kryptonite.MUFFDVR
    Palmy or GTFOYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015 edited

gc:anyone use the evo LITE mini-6?
    current evo mini 5 is crapping out, only after just 3 years of commuting to work and stuff!

update:

shackle is thinner diameter and longer and thinner than the evo 5. otherwise the same? no stupid frame mount, which is a ++
    keys have a different shape

regret not buying an abus granit futura mini when i had jbi access.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Should I buy xbox or playstation
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015

psMUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

linux
    paul jameson:Palmy or GTFO

I could break a palmy apart with my bare hands
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

What's the best kind of bike?
    Scruffy..TheJanitor:
    paul jameson:Palmy or GTFO

I could break a palmy apart with my bare hands

Yeah but you can color match it with your PureFix.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    shots firedand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    fmradio516:ps

PSclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Yo! I have switched over to all bike-mounted portaging solutions because it is awesome, but when I was like "I need a pannier for my laptop!" everyone was like "NOOOOO IT CAN'T HANDLE TEH VIBRATION". Does anyone have any recommendations for a sick laptop backpack that is pretty tiny and doesn't hold ANYTHING else? So I'm not tempted to make it heavy, natch. 15" laptop tho.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

Add some foam to the pannier, it'll be fine (in my non-professional opinion)."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries