Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

If your laptop were smaller, this would be rad:

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

tinyhonkshus:when I was like "I need a pannier for my laptop!" everyone was like "NOOOOO IT CAN'T HANDLE TEH VIBRATION"

No, no, no. That is complete and utter bullshit.

I have done years of daily commutes with my laptop using an Axiom laptop pannier (with the laptop in the included padded laptop sleeve) as well as with a Nashbar Townie pannier with my backpack (with the laptop in its internal padded laptop slot) simply thrown into the pannier. What you want is to have the laptop padded with something so it's not simply banging against the sides of the pannier or the metal rack. Any laptop-specifc bag that keeps the laptop in a padded slot, or a removable padded sleeve, will handle this just fine.

There is nothing special about bicycle vibration that destroys laptops. If laptops could not survive "the vibration", they would die when being transported on the floor of the box truck that got them to Best Buy in the first place.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Looking to outfit my road bike with panniers. Not sure if I want to do rear or front, or a combo eventually. What brands/models can people recommend? I know nothing about these things. Would most likely outfit them with some Swfit Industries stuff or Havoc, if that makes any difference. Thanks!and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    • CommentAuthorbon gripper
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015 edited

that being said i did have a hard drive fail on me because i had my laptop in a backpack and my huge chode was in there too apparently, slapping the laptop inside the bag during my ride home, not even riding vigorously or anything. better safe and overkill than anything there
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015

Laptop next to ulock is a chode move. Padded laptop slot or padded laptop sleeve with nothing but the laptop and maybe some paper in the sleeve. Also, "laptop napkin" between screen and keys. Keep the laptop napkin that came with your laptop and use it till you lose it, then just use a piece of paper.

One of these days I'm going to start making fancy custom fit laptop napkins with cool designs on them on Etsy and make a million dollars.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:Laptop next to ulock is a chode move. Padded laptop slot or padded laptop sleeve with nothing but the laptop and maybe some paper in the sleeve. Also, "laptop napkin" between screen and keys. Keep the laptop napkin that came with your laptop and use it till you lose it, then just use a piece of paper.

One of these days I'm going to start making fancy custom fit laptop napkins with cool designs on them on Etsy and make a million dollars.

Padded USPS envelope works in a pinch too. Did this with an uncased ipad before.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

^good idea
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I still use a padded UPS envelope for my laptop. Works fine so far, though I'm riding with a lot of clothes and no U-lock.

Pocky, why the laptop napkin thing? What does that protect against?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Finger grease getting on the screen.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

nerdo:Pocky, why the laptop napkin thing? What does that protect against?

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1324635 The laptop napkin protects against screen etching where the keys constantly bash into the screen when the laptop is in a bag that puts weight on both sides of the laptop. I have not yet had a laptop that doesn't experience this problem, but since I started diligently using the napkin, I have not had the problem since. Many people never experience this because they never "sandwich" their laptop in a bag where weight compresses the screen against the keys.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    conor! for mod:
    Nandy:Anyone used the Salsa Cowbell bar? I really want some dirt drop-y type thing, but they're all made super wide. The Cowbell comes in 38cm. Would they be nice for touring?

it's the updated bell lap bar, right? if it's anything like the old version, it's fantastic. i've been meaning to 'em for my touring bike.

These bars are still so great.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

They've been on the bike for a while now, fucking love them. TRP levers are also the shit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015

Has anyone ridden/have thoughts on the Clement X'Plor Ush tire?

Alternatively, looking for mildly aggressive adventure tires that don't have big side knobs (more file than tread, if you know what I mean).ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben

I have them on my tomii - which I haven't even stood over yet because of knee pain. Got them because of the great reviews.

Morgie put them on his Saila and reportedly didn't like them. Maybe he can chime in why though.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

MORGAN DIDN'T LIKE SOMETHING?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

tristan:Has anyone ridden/have thoughts on the Clement X'Plor Ush tire?

Alternatively, looking for mildly aggressive adventure tires that don't have big side knobs (more file than tread, if you know what I mean).

I got em and like em. Fast on the road, fast on gravel, few flats
    •  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015 edited

I need a recommendation for racks. A rear rack for panniers (swift industries, havoc, something like that) and a front rack for "low/small" panniers (also swift, havoc, etc.). I'll be putting this on a 54 Surly Pacer. Really, just want them for around town so I don't always have to use my backpack, but also something I can take on longer, potentially overnight rides.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus

I SUPPORT THE NO BACKPACK REVOLUTION

edit: but I personally only use weirdo racks relatively unsuited to their purposesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    in reality probably only need a rear rack for nowand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    I am just confused- there are racks from blackburn for 60 and racks from blackburn for 130 that don't look that different to me HELPand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015

The VO racks we have are pretty hot, if you're into that."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Go front rack only. If you have mid blade pass thru eyelets use a Tubus Duo, if you have mid blade threaded eyelets use a Tubus Tara

If you have no mid blade eyelets throw your bike away and steal a good one
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I thought the Tara is supposed to work great with Tubus's clamp-on adapters even if you dont have mid-fork braze-ons. Is this false?
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Who can recommend a USB front light that is:

(1) not the size or shape of some huge-ass Star Trek shit
    (2) small and sleek
    (3) black
    (4) rain durable
    (5) costs less than my frame

The infamous Russian Co Worker has a "Serfas USB Ultrabright Rechargeable Headlight" (http://tinyurl.com/oq43got) that he swears by, but he swears at almost everything, and puts vodka in his camelback, so I am skeptical.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

my favorite is still the blackburn flea. but no one listens to me. will you listen to me? i don't care if you listen to me. but i typed these words:

-front/rear fits in your pocket
    -doesn't look like a giant turd
    -recharges quickly
    -bright
    -lifetime replacement warranty
    -front mount sucks but every mount sucks (especially for smaller bar diameters). though super fast for moving from bike to bike. rear clip mount is sick. better than anything planet bike/serfas
    -won't survive a flood but what does? get a fucking new one for free, ya jungus
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Serfas thunderbolt. Very bright for high visibility (doesn't cast a ton of light if you are looking to use it to see). Simple design, you can strap it to a fork blade, headtube, or across the stem plate.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    I've had this serfas one for a few months and like it. Easy peasy, not super steezy but it gets the job done.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The infamous Russian Co Worker has a "Serfas USB Ultrabright Rechargeable Headlight" (http://tinyurl.com/oq43got) that he swears by, but he swears at almost everything, and puts vodka in his camelback, so I am skeptical.

Can confirm is good light, very raintighti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^ Noted. Thank you.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

rock dathe:
    tristan:Has anyone ridden/have thoughts on the Clement X'Plor Ush tire?

Alternatively, looking for mildly aggressive adventure tires that don't have big side knobs (more file than tread, if you know what I mean).

I got em and like em. Fast on the road, fast on gravel, few flats

I got 4 flats in less than the first 100 miles on them, 3Rd time I got a huge cut in the tire (which caused flat number 4 when the boot I put it failed on the ride home). I also didn't like the ride because when cornering on road I could feel the drop off of the raised center section and it made corning unstable. I have had great experiences with other celement tires though... I'm going to try out some kenda happy mediums (700x35c) this weekend, mainly because they are tubeless compatible, affordable, and in the 33-38c file tread/mix terrain category...

I rode the crap out of the Clement LAS Clinchers last season, generally i loved them but particularly in wet weather on the road in a stopping short kinda of situation they were prone to sliding/skidding rather than gripping and braking, this is a general file tread issue in my experience though. If i don't like the Kenda Happy Mediums I"ll be going back to the LAS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Take a look at the Duro Ellie Mae. Similar file/tread to the LAS, but only $20.
    This person's review compares it favorably to the LAS, Nail-File, and Conti Speed and says it worked fine tubeless.

I'm running one up front at the moment that I put on at 50psi for a 40-mile sloppy wet crushed stone ride on Monday and have left it on for the past few days on wet pavement with no handling concerns. I had previously used it (along with a Ritchey Speedmax in back) at 35psi for the Honey 100k last year and it rode like a much bigger tire. I left those on for several weeks of pavement commuting without even thinking about it before switching back to slicks because I didn't want to wear them out. The rubber is pretty soft-feeling and a bit gummy so I'm not sure how well it will wear, but I think this makes it grip like hell.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:I thought the Tara is supposed to work great with Tubus's clamp-on adapters even if you dont have mid-fork braze-ons. Is this false?

Neat.

chr|s sedition:Who can recommend a USB front light that is:

(1) not the size or shape of some huge-ass Star Trek shit
    (2) small and sleek
    (3) black
    (4) rain durable
    (5) costs less than my frame

The infamous Russian Co Worker has a "Serfas USB Ultrabright Rechargeable Headlight" (http://tinyurl.com/oq43got) that he swears by, but he swears at almost everything, and puts vodka in his camelback, so I am skeptical.

I would want to know how bright a light you want. The Serfas seems pretty good. Knog Blinder Road 3 could also be good (roughly 300 lumen). Really in the 300-500 lumen light range, you should have loads of options. I've had good luck with light-n-motion stuff, not so much with Nite Rider. YMMV.

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015

^"(2) small and sleek"

HERE'S A LIGHT BOX FOR YOU.
    • CommentAuthorben

No specific recommendations, but I agree with Eric about L&M gear. I've always found it to be very well made, and have used their Vis 360 models as my everyday lights for 4.5 years now.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Nuggetross:^"(2) small and sleek"

HERE'S A LIGHT BOX FOR YOU.

Frankly, the Knog is pretty small. Smalelr than my old Nite Rider and my Cygolite anyways.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorObo

Water killed my last serfas (sung to the tune of "video killed the radio star")... have yet to replace...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited

We've talked about MIPS helmets here a bit in the past.

So, I need to buy a new helmet and was thinking it was going to be a MIPS helmet, but after reading http://www.bhsi.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm and the Bicycling article that it's picking apart, as well as searching for independent research and not finding a SINGLE thing apart from Dr. Halidin's own research, I'm ready to call shenanigans. In particular, the "all bicycle helmets fit loosely enough that they have a slip plane already so 5mm of plastic shell movement is unlikely to do anything extra" argument is compelling. Maybe for tight-fitting motorcycle helmets or full-face downhill helmets, this makes sense, but I can't imagine it doing anything for a road helmet. These things have been around for 5 years -- how can there not be a shred of independent research on them???::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i hate this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

A MIPS guy came and did a demo/presentation on selling MIPS. He said that we're not legally allowed to use the word "safer" but that we want to imply that it's safer to sell more units. MIPS is just marketing BS that ends up getting caught in your hair
    TL;DRi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Yeah?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

tl;dr MIPS is the HueRay of helmets
    I was referring to the EDGY INNOVATIVE WEB JOURNALISM FORMAT with the giant meaningless pictures article, and so thank you for your summaryi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Nuggetross:i hate this thread.

Then never read it. Problem solved.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Thanks to everyone for the light suggestions!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

don't tell me what to do.
    chr|s sedition:Thanks to everyone for the light suggestions!

No worries. Always happy to help. Let us know what ya get and report back on how ya like it.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Compact, short reach drop handlebars that are good for around town and longer rides (currently, longer means 40+ miles, but could get up towards a century). I'm looking at the FSA Omega's- I have them on my track bike and have no complaints except that I'm running 40cm and should have 42cm (would get 42 for road bike). I've also heard rave reviews about the Salsa Cowbells- the main difference I notice is the +8 degree difference in sweep out which I assume makes being in the drops for longer periods more comfortable? Worth it? There about twice as much (I've found plenty of VG+ Omega's for around 20 bones, only see the Salsa's for 50~)and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

The soma hwy one is pretty good, too."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:The soma hwy one is pretty good, too.

Thanks, mate. The hwy is perfect, just ordered.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers