Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015

Update on the Xplor USH tires.

I do not like these tires. They're decent on road but sketchy on gravel or anything looser than packed dirt. I find them to lack any authoritative line-holding ability when riding over rocks, sand, and gravel.
    I haven't seen any of morgie's flatting problems (yet), or the rolloff from the center tread (but I'm running low-ish pressure). They are pretty nice on rougher roads, but I'd rather just have a standard touring tire for those.

This is my punishment for thinking to move away from the conti speeds.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015 edited

My flex hone shaft is too short to clean out enough seattube. Are there any extenders with a collet I can buy for my flex hone/drill?

My flex hone measures 8in total, 4.5in of which is shaft, but ~1in of that is buried in the drill collet. I need to clean out 10in worth of tube for my seatpost. Now I could cut the seatpost shorter, but I'd prefer a clean tube to a short post. All of the shaft extensions I've seen online are only for 1/4in hex bits. The flex hone shaft is 2 twisted rods. Any options out there?A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015

youtalkin'boutdick?>"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Andy wins.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Primal Strips vegan jerky is fucking delicious and surprisingly jerky-like, but I can't help straining my optical muscles as I roll my eyes at the concept of a product called "primal" (with 'cave drawings' on the package) whose first ingredient is wheat gluten (i.e. deeply, deeply not paleo).i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    the mushroom one is dopeYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

update to my clement x-plor ush review:

downgrading from "not really good at anything" to "dangerous" - I've had several occasions on downhill turns in which the tires alternately hook and slide, resulting in fucking crazy wobble and awful turn execution. These are unpredictable at best.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

That gives me some peach of mind to hear, I'm not the only one!
    oh you southerners with your peachesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015

Who can recommend casual shorts designed for biking? I've been buying Levi's commuter jeans on clearance and cutting them, but they still don't last very long. Has anyone found any that are super durable?

Could be jeans or not, as long as they come in black.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^lolWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

ben try swrve
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Have you attempted to change the shape and curvature of your rectum yet?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

ben:Who can recommend casual shorts designed for biking? I've been buying Levi's commuter jeans on clearance and cutting them, but they still don't last very long. Has anyone found any that are super durable?

Could be jeans or not, as long as they come in black.

They have already been making a product for the past 20+ years that has evolved to near perfection for the use you're interested in: MTB baggy shorts.
    My Endura Zyme shorts are THE SHIT. The fabric is crazy thick and durable and the optional (but mine came with it) removable liner short snaps in with twelve little snaps around the waist area (their "Clickfast" standard), and the liner short is nice enough on its own that I can wear it without the outer shorts if I get too hot and don't mind going into lycra gimp mode. They make a Zyme 3/4 leg short as well. A lot of their other shorts and pants look pretty awesome too, but I can only vouch for the Zyme.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ben:Who can recommend casual shorts designed for biking? I've been buying Levi's commuter jeans on clearance and cutting them, but they still don't last very long. Has anyone found any that are super durable?

http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/apparel/mens-apparel/mens-bottomsYou're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2015 edited

conor! for mod:

http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/apparel/mens-apparel/mens-bottoms

Personally really dig Club Ride's shorts: http://www.clubrideapparel.com/collections/mens-shorts .. second season for my main pair without any signs of tears. Plus they're comfortable in all types of weather.
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska

Been riding with the SIVA Atom for months now with really great results: http://sivacycle.com/products/the-atom

I'm able to power all of my USB devices (lights, speaker, ipod, etc) even in the winter. My battery shorted because I didn't clean it after a particularly nasty snow storm (one of those days the whole city shut down), but the customer service sent me a new one right away, no charge. It's been working fine every since even in the rain. Barely adds any drag (as if all my gears just went up 1 gear). Some people say theirs is a little loud, but I can't notice any added noise. Personally like the idea of only using it to charge devices with my own clean energy, but nice to know I can put a full charge into the removable battery pack in the wall if I need to.

I got mine online but I noticed that Emily's stocking it at HUB.
    • CommentAuthorben

conor! for mod:

http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/apparel/mens-apparel/mens-bottoms
    $100 for shorts? Who do you think I am, Ken Denny?

Thanks for the Club CR and Endura recommendations. I had an Endura winter jacket for 4+ winters and it was incredible, so I'm definitely open to their stuff.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2015

i bought a cookbook from the 70s last weekend, of "good (=healthy) goodies". never try asparagus cake. that is my recommendation to all of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

This is further evidence that nothing good came out of the 70s except punk rock and cocaine.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Asparagus casserole is the shit, though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015

The hype over rice cookers is real, y'all. My basmati game has never been stronger."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorben

Rice cookers are amazing. And you can cook things other than rice in them.

Conor, I found some Chrome Folsom shorts on sale at REI - will report back with a review once I've had them for a while.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

re: Shorts Your butt will eventually destroyed everything right? Why not just go get something from the thrift store for $3? I've got 3 pairs that are in the rotation.
    No shiny saddle marks on your "nice" shorts and who gives a frig if you spill coffee on shorts that cost less than your coffee?
    you do! cause your coffee :(i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I second the thrift store option.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I've been just using/patching my dickies that were too worn through to keep wearing at work but I'm getting into the BDU shorts Sedition recommended a while back.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015

I'm also big fan of dickies.
    cotton twill means that they're airyier and cooler in summer, also dry quickly
    cheap (like $20 at kmart for the longpant variety)
    they're cut pretty slim too so you don't have billowy shorts
    they last a long timegone
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015 edited

tristan:Update on the Xplor USH tires.

I do not like these tires. They're decent on road but sketchy on gravel or anything looser than packed dirt. I find them to lack any authoritative line-holding ability when riding over rocks, sand, and gravel.
    I haven't seen any of morgie's flatting problems (yet), or the rolloff from the center tread (but I'm running low-ish pressure). They are pretty nice on rougher roads, but I'd rather just have a standard touring tire for those.

This is my punishment for thinking to move away from the conti speeds.

IDK, I schralp pretty hard on 35c treadless touring tires, and never felt the need for any thing more. but maybe i'm doing it wrong or my gravels are different from your gravels?gone
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

Ive ridden the hell out of similar tires to what you linked on gravel. Its been a while, but I recall almost every touring tire Ive ridden being better than the xplor ushs. The touring tires also don't have the awful (dangerous) traction issues Ive felt on pavement.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    ben:Rice cookers are amazing. And you can cook things other than rice in them.

Conor, I found some Chrome Folsom shorts on sale at REI - will report back with a review once I've had them for a while.

Like what?

I think you'll like them. They're great in the rain and look normal and the u lock holster actually works.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015

conor! for mod:
    ben:Rice cookers are amazing. And you can cook things other than rice in them.

Like what?
    Other grains. Risotta, polenta, beans, steel-cut oats are examples. There are some fancier things I've found like mac n cheese and stuff, but i've never tried anything other than grains.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2015

Pike Powdercoating:

Seems pretty professional, they ended up doing the fork twice because they didn't like how it turned out. About a week turnaround, $240.

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2015

they're good. they did my jacobs frame and it turned out pretty nice for the price.MUFFDVR
    I had read that White Industries freewheels were loud when coasting, but didn't expect it to be THIS loud lol. I guess it makes a good incentive for pedaling.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015

I haven't had to buy cheap brake and shifter cables and housing since SLC closed, where's the best place to buy it now? Online or brick and mortar."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Depends on whether you want to support your local community, job killer."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    i just went through all of this shit when three ppl decided that they wanted new bikes from me like a month ago.

3.00/ft IRL, 1.5/ft online for the cables - amazon prime. sold in boxes of ten i believe.

housing: ebay for the shifter, as the amazon prime ones are not actually shifter housings. re-ordered them via prime twice, got brake housings twice. brake housing: ebay has every color under the sun cheaper than SLC, just don't order it from china. takes forever. i chose shops east of the mississippi b/c faster.

if you want weird colored non-pinned chainrings: porkchop bmx. super cheap, but do not know of quality. all aluminum, normal profile. otherwise you're stuck with ugly origin8 or super expensive.

BETTER IDEA: let's go to one local store, ask them if they'd do a group buy on cables, and ask for a bulk discount! it's basically what all the "internet" bike shops are doing, like niagara and universal cycles - we'd just be throwing money at somewhere nearby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Side note: I worked for Niagara Cycles in high school. They are an okay smallish business that just has a big web presence, but when I was there I lived the farthest away (4 miles) and was the only one who rode to work. The owners were a religious couple and would separately drive their own SUVs."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2015

East Coast Alpine on Comm Ave has the cheapest brake/shift cable and housing sets around and you'll be supporting a local shop. Cheaper than Amazon last I checked. I seem to recall they were around $3 for a set of cable and housing (double-ended brake or shift with compressionless stranded STI shift housing) long enough to reach a rear shifter or rear derailleur.

The reason the cheapest Amazon shift housing is just brake housing is because the cheapest stuff is expected to be used with friction shifters, where compressionless housing isn't important.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

Looking for a new tire (clincher) to try. Anyone make the switch from gatorskins to anything worthwhile?

Looking at GP4000s' at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

what kind of use?MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

fmradio516:what kind of use?
    All season training use.
    • CommentAuthormike868y

panaracer paselas
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Paselas aren't awesome for flat protection, in my experience."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthormike868y

i usually get the "tour guard" ones and they've been awesome for me, but to each their own.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2015

Can someone recommend a good headlight?
    -Preferably bar mounted
    -Decent battery life
    -Weatherproof
    -Isn't too bulky in construction

Thanks.
    How bright a light are we talking?

I know several folks who like the Knog Blinder 3. The Blinder Arc looks interesting but I have no experience with this light. I have a Cygolight Expilion 250 which is ok. I light the mount for the newer NiteRider stuff more than the Cygolight mounts.
    Personally I prefer the helmet mounted - light & Motion Viz 360+
    I think Morgan has lots of experience with various lights and can prob provide some good suggestions.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben

EPIC! Stratton:Personally I prefer the helmet mounted - light & Motion Viz 360+
    Plus one million.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i bought the Serfas Lightning lights. theyre mini usb recharge and very bright.
    they were a bit pricey but i used a student discount at bbb
    only complaint is once the battery is depleted they turn off, they dont dim as the battery depletes, ive had them turn off mid ride home late at night