Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2015

cheapest and most useful solution is to get a regular flashlight with a flood lens, and make sure it has a super flash mode. Fenix is a well regarded company, and they're sold in REI and other brick and mortar stores. then you get one of these flashlight block, strap it to your handlebar, and then just take off the light when you leave. that way you don't have some funky proprietary light that only works as a bike light, and you can get ones that run on rechargeable AAs or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015 edited

^I was thinking of doing this! Fenix stuff is pretty sweet (see it all over EDC blogs).

I'll post pics and specs when I get a flashlight and do a review. That flashlight mount looks a little questionable, looks like it would move a fair bit?
    I will second that Serfas lights are great at giving off light. I also hate that they turn off before dimming (although mine do have an indicator that they're GOING to turn off). Their waterproofness has been shitty in the past, but several bike shop ppl have told me they fixed that.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015

I use the Serfas thunderbolt currently as my taillight and it works great (minus the battery life being somewhat short). I read a review though that the headlight version is good for being visible but not as effective at illuminating your path. I'll try the flashlight method smoothness suggested first. Thanks all for your suggestions.
    • CommentAuthorben

ThreePete:I read a review though that the headlight version is good for being visible but not as effective at illuminating your path.
    I keep the headlight version on my headtube of my bike as an emergency light (if my others die, or i forget them, etc). It's really great for being seen but is total shit for seeing anything - which is usually not a problem in the city, but can be frustrating if you turn off of a well-lit street.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries

ThreePete:^I was thinking of doing this! Fenix stuff is pretty sweet (see it all over EDC blogs).

I'll post pics and specs when I get a flashlight and do a review. That flashlight mount looks a little questionable, looks like it would move a fair bit?

as with anything else, it's the installation that's key. don't allow any slip, and mb put an extra rubber spacer (made out of whatever you got) underneath; the more friction, the better. also don't get a super long flashlight; with too much weight on either end, it causes the light to bounce, e.g. the xenon lights on a motorcycle/shitty car.

there are more sturdy versions, i believe one of which uses a topcap mount, but i have not used them. if you were really handy, you could probably 3-D print/CNC some sort of mini-vice to mount to your top cap, but that's way over-building it.

if you do go the flashlight route, i say go get some cr123s, and get a bunch of those rechargeable ones that DON'T explode. you'll have more lumens than a car, and the cr123s have some fancy flashing modes.

if you wanna go all out, and have a bmx helmet, you can get a regular petzl/black diamond headlamp, and then just blind everyone while you look at them. you can't really use them on a road bike helmet; there's no flat space to really have the light sit. i managed to smack myself in the face with the elastic a bunch of times before i gave up. i think that using a real headlamp is a better design; assuming you are turning your head to where you are looking, you can visually indicate to drivers and other people where you are looking.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

The fiance and I are interested in a tablet for wedding planning, netflix, recipes, maybe e-books, extra maybe spreadsheets/word processing. Any recommendations on a social worker budget?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

The newer Microsoft tablets have usb inputs, I find that to be a major plus.
    • CommentAuthorgc

Used amazon fire? I think those were only like $100 new

Edit: kindle firegone
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015

DQ: Why would anybody need a tablet, specifically, for wedding planning?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

6kidz:The fiance and I are interested in a tablet for wedding planning, netflix, recipes, maybe e-books, extra maybe spreadsheets/word processing. Any recommendations on a social worker budget?
    Morgie:The newer Microsoft tablets have usb inputs, I find that to be a major plus.

Like Morgie said the surface tablets are pretty neat (despite it being microsoft heavy e.g. having to create a microsoft account for various functions, if you don't already have one).

I personally find the android platform tablets to be great to use, especially if you already have an android phone. Alternatively, there are tablets made by manufacturers like ASUS that are pretty reliable and comparable in price to the surface and ipad.
    I got like a $90 Asus tablet (MeMopad 7) from woot that's mostly fine. Chrome and maps take a little bit to boot up, but netflixin and ebookin are 100%. But you're crazy if you think you're gonna word process on any tablet.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorben

I bought a tablet and it was great for multi-month traveling, but I have used it approximately 0 times since I have been home. Really don't understand what people use them for since we all have tiny tablets (phones) and big tablets (computers).I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    library ebooks that don't work on Kindle!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I used mine for interneting/mail/remote into work cpu. Right now it's way newer than my computer so it tends to work better. Also good for books, netflix, and games, esp when traveling.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben

Do you enjoy reading on them though? The shiny and backlit screen bothers my eyes so much I wound up carrying paper books as well when I traveled.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    6kidz:The fiance and I are interested in a tablet for wedding planning, netflix, recipes, maybe e-books, extra maybe spreadsheets/word processing. Any recommendations on a social worker budget?

The microsoft surface pro is worth every damn penny. Go to the store in the mall and ask for student, charity, wedding, etc discounts and they will give you them. Trust me.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

We had a tablet and ended up returning it and opting for a chromebook. Like other is just don't find them very useful for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

We had a tablet and ended up returning it and opting for a chromebook. Like other is just don't find them very useful for me.
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015 edited

don't get an ipad/google tablet/etc; just get a microsoft surface pro 3. it'll work as a computer and as a tablet. i have two tablets (ipad2 + google tablet) and i only use the ipad to read comics while in bed/on the pooper. with the surface, you'll get system integration, no wonky driver shit, and you'll have better writing recognition. if you're looking for an actual art device, drop all of them, and just get a cintiq. but that's monies.

i would have said get a yoga convertible, but with their bios root kit that inserts garbage, that takes them off the table.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

nerdo:DQ: Why would anybody need a tablet, specifically, for wedding planning?

NOBODY'S ANSWERING MY QUESTIONWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015

Pinterest, browsing vendor websites, list-making etc. She has a 5yo Mac that runs like molasses at this point, She could buy a new laptop but she has a work computer already and so do I, though we try to minimize personal use on them. Just seems like an appealing route with bonuses of portability. We'll check out the surface, thanks y'all."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2015

pc master race...jk but no really.
    Maybe get that Mac looked at - I have a 5yo Mac[book Pro] that runs like mothafuckin awesomesauce.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015 edited

ThreePete:if you wanna go all out, and have a bmx helmet, you can get a regular petzl/black diamond headlamp, and then just blind everyone while you look at them. you can't really use them on a road bike helmet; there's no flat space to really have the light sit.

Not necessarily. Here is what my current setup looks like:
     photo 20150820_011753_zps1txytb6g.jpg  photo 20150820_011812_zps9g0lz30g.jpg
    The left and right straps go *under* the sides of the helmet, not at the sides of the helmet, and the top strap fits neatly in the groove in the center at the back of the shell. I got gnarly on trails the other night with this setup, and it didn't budge.
    This is a 3W CREE XPE headlamp that I got from Ocean State Job Lot for $10. You can get them on Amazon but it seems to be hit-and-miss whether the LED will be a CREE or an Osram (which is not nearly as bright.) The CREE is bright as hell but stays at its brightest for only a short time with NiMH AAAs. It'll go for many hours, but gets about half as bright after the first hour. I am planning on wiring an old cellphone battery into the battery chamber for longer time at maximum brightness. It is brighter than than the 5W Luxeon emitter in my DiNotte, which its previous owner paid $185 for when they bought it on sale (original price $220) at Wheelworks sometime around 2004.

If you want bright-as-the-sun, get a triple CREE XM-L T6 U2. You want to make sure you're getting the U2 revision for a 17% increase in brighteness at the same input. My friend has one of these and it is by far the brightest concentration of light I have ever seen on any product, including very expensive ones. I just bought one and am thinking of hanPossibly overkill for street riding if you're one of those people who is really concerned about blinding drivers, but I personally believe that's a myth, as drivers are already desensitized to being blinded by truck lights. $26 on Amazon.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015

@ pocky: i only have one strap, so i can't do the loop thing on the sides. i also can't stand the leverage from giant headlamps. good idea though.

is the pic you linked the U2 model? does the form factor change which emitters are used? i'm curious to see whether or not this will set me on fire like other fly by night companies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015 edited

According to the description on Amazon, the triple triangle form factor is the U2: "This item: Gugou 6000 Lumen 3x Cree XML U2 LED 6400mah Battery Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp Headlight … $25.89" -- and I'm pretty sure it changes depending on the form factor because the decription changes for each of the eight form factors on that page (some of them are T6 and some are U2), though if the descriptions on eBay are to be believed, it seems you can get the U2 or T6 in the same form factor.
    My friend has had this one for a while and it has not yet set him on fire. I think the bigger heat sink of the "triangular" design dissipates much more heat than the round ones, which look like they have hardly any heat sink at all. I've never seen the others, so this one is the only one I can vouch for.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015

pocky:According to the description on Amazon, the triple triangle form factor is the U2: "This item: Gugou 6000 Lumen 3x Cree XML U2 LED 6400mah Battery Cycling Bicycle Bike Light Lamp Headlight … $25.89" -- and I'm pretty sure it changes depending on the form factor because the decription changes for each of the eight form factors on that page (some of them are T6 and some are U2), though if the descriptions on eBay are to be believed, it seems you can get the U2 or T6 in the same form factor.
    My friend has had this one for a while and it has not yet set him on fire. I think the bigger heat sink of the "triangular" design dissipates much more heat than the round ones, which look like they have hardly any heat sink at all. I've never seen the others, so this one is the only one I can vouch for.

Damn that set up is awesome. I'm definitely going to get a helmet set up. I already purchased a flashlight and handlebar mount as a back up.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015

Can anyone recommend a good fanny pack for touring?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Why would you want one for touring? Is this something people do?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben

ThreePete:Can anyone recommend a good fanny pack for touring?
    I have to imagine any of the ones made by Fabric Horse would be fine. But I guess it depends on what makes a fanny pack "good" for touring versus other uses.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i've had a fabric horse one for years and it's good, except that if you intend to have a U lock through the holster, you end up with the pouch part on one thigh and the lock on the other, which is annoying for biking. it looks like the current ones are designed a bit differently, though, so maybe it's not a problem? (also their current colors are boring as heck!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I have a Reload hip pouch I like, has a ulock holder in the back."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:I have a Reload hip pouch I like, has a ulock holder in the back.

I have a Chrome one from NACCC's a few years back. Works great.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorben

EPIC! Stratton:

I have a Chrome one from NACCC's a few years back. Works great.
    Dunno about the reload, but i think it's worth noting that the Chrome one doesn't have a belt like a traditional fanny pack - it's just a pouch that you can run your belt through.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The Reload has it's own belt, which I kind of like because it's wide (comfy) and you can take it off easily without threading it through your pants."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I still want to know what makes a fanny pack good for touringi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ben:
    EPIC! Stratton:

I have a Chrome one from NACCC's a few years back. Works great.
    Dunno about the reload, but i think it's worth noting that the Chrome one doesn't have a belt like a traditional fanny pack - it's just a pouch that you can run your belt through.

True. I have a belt for it that's essentially identical to the reload ones, but it has to loop through it rather than being permanently attached. I also tend to run a chrome accessory pouch on it for my phone and keys.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2015 edited

tinyhonkshus:I still want to know what makes a fanny pack good for touring

I think having its own belt so you don't have to wear your own belt is one of the things that would make it good for touring, because Spandex.

I think an ideal fanny pack for touring would double as a handlebar bag. Wear it as a fanny pack when you're walking around, then take it off and mount it to your handlebar when you get on the bike. This should not be that hard to make. Studyourheart, get on that.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

But jerseys have pockets. I still don't get why you'd want another thing to potentially chafe.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Also, any handlebar bag that's big enough for you to want to use would be too big to wear. As I said, this doesn't make any sense to me.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Maybe they mean "light touring/day trip"?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

I sometimes use a fanny pack while wearing a jersey and bike shorts. The strap can sit on your hips so you barely notice it. It also sits lower than most of your jersey pockets. In fact, I did last weekend on my P-Town -> Plymouth trip.
    I had patch kit, road pump, levers, a button up shirt (for the beach), a rag, sunscreen, room for 2 peanut butter sandwiches, rain shell, phone, map, sunglasses, wallet, dug-out, a can of beer. All that in 3 pockets would sag too much for comfort.
    A seat tool bag plus 3 jersey pockets and a fanny pack will get you to and from with all the stuff you need. IDK I guess I get hungry alot and my stogies always get cracked in my jersey pockets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

joeyfresh:Also, any handlebar bag that's big enough for you to want to use would be too big to wear.

Not necessarily:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015

Does that fanny pack have shoulder straps? Did you just link a very confused backpack?

Fwiw, I've seen fanny packs work well as touring accessories because they are a small, removable bag to use while off the bike, but you can strap them to stuff on the bike.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I'm moving to NY and need to replace my QR skewers with something that locks. What's the best system? Allen key? Proprietary lock/key system?and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015 edited

Buy a chain.

EDIT: You might also consider swapping out your saddle bolt(s) with something like this. Of course that means buying the corresponding wrench, but the combo should be cheaper than a new saddle.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:Buy a chain.

EDIT: You might also consider swapping out your saddle bolt(s) with something like this. Of course that means buying the corresponding wrench, but the combo should be cheaper than a new saddle.

Yeah I picked up a cable to lace with my ulock, but I want to be safer than I need to be.

Where can I even find a single bolt/wrench like that for the post clamp? Definitely want something like that.

Also, this is lame, but is it possible to replace the bolt in my stem cap with something like that (as in not a standard allen) without having to replace the stem cap itself? I have one I like :(and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

crazy. I was JUST coming here to ask this same question. I have always used the regular allen key security skewers but I want something that wont come back and bite me in the ass.... evolution. Are pinhead skewers the best? I dont think they come in black :(MUFFDVR
    I have pinheads I like, but it's not like you really know if they've been tested unless they failed...

anyway, insane German version exists: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp

you gotta respect an insane German versioni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy