Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I just picked up a pair of these sunlite lock and roll skewers from Somervelo. They seem legit enough, they're use 5 sided bolts instead of the standard 6 sided allen keys. I dunno if they're anything special, but with a chain they're probably a good enough upgrade to justify the low cost. I saw those crazy pitlocks from Peter White, but couldn't justify a system that costs north of 100. We'll see.

http://www.amazon.com/HUB-SKEWER-SUNLT-LOCKING-FT/dp/B002K2IYPYand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    YO JUST GLUE BB's IN THEM ALLEN KEY HOLESDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015

I lol'd."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Has anyone used the Cuisine En Locale once a week meal service?
    Having a hard time with cooking bc left arm is in a cast, not sure how to eat healthy :/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015

I delivered their stuff a few years ago! The owner was an interesting character. It seemed like a lot of money for essentially take out, but I've never eaten it so maybe it's amazing.

I'd totally use a broken arm as an excuse to get Punjabi Dhaba every other day."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I want to love punjabi dhaba but i cant do spicy hot food :(((

Seems like very healthy take out, I am hoping?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Feeling like BFG should throw Ella a picnic.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

In.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    awwww you guysYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

We lurve you. But for real though let's do this.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormike868y
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

banana truffles:Has anyone used the Cuisine En Locale once a week meal service?
    Having a hard time with cooking bc left arm is in a cast, not sure how to eat healthy :/

most thai places that do takeout have some type of rice/steamed veggies/chicken or tofu dish that is probably pretty healthy.
    thanks for the suggestion mike person!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

tristan:update to my clement x-plor ush review:

downgrading from "not really good at anything" to "dangerous" - I've had several occasions on downhill turns in which the tires alternately hook and slide, resulting in fucking crazy wobble and awful turn execution. These are unpredictable at best.
    After riding mine for less than 50 miles, the sidewall blew the fuck out yesterday at the start of the day (on clean pavement).

What did you end up replacing yours with, Tristan? I'm not sure I trust the other tire now given everyone's experiences.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan

^ I went back to the One True Adventure Tire - the Continental CX Speed.

These guys have never let me down and I've ridden them in a crazy amount of situations. Really great tires.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben

Looks perfect for my needs (right size, right tread, right price). Thanks!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015 edited

Im curious where your sidewall blew out on the clements. I felt like the sidewalls on them were pretty well made and consistent. Did yours blow out around some printing or something? Or was it a straight cut?

edit - though, the mixed reviews (morgie had terrible luck with his) makes me think that they may just have overall quality control issues.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorben

Nowhere near printing. Appears to be a straight cut that then blew out at one of the ends.

It's possible that I nicked it at some point in one of the previous rides. The bike has only been taken on city roads and on the train out of town though (and again, for less than 50 miles total) so I find it really hard to imagine that I actually did that. But shit happens so I'll chalk it up as a loss and try out the new tires.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    tristan:^ I went back to the One True Adventure Tire - the Continental CX Speed.

These guys have never let me down and I've ridden them in a crazy amount of situations. Really great tires.

Yesssssssssssssss. Agreed.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2015

Anyone know where to find something like this :

http://www.seagullbags.com/collections/frontpage/products/hair-net

that I can use pretty much on any bag? or alternative solutions?

I hate having to use the car to haul bigger than normal things between places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Bungees, bro. You get creative if a car isn't an easy option."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

Thoughts on waterproofing sprays or washes?

My cordura backpack doesn't seem as waterproof as it once once.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop

If it's not leaking all the way through, then the DWR probably just wore out. Nikwax works fine and is easy to find (EMS, REI, Hilton's, etc). I'd go with a spray because it's only going to wear out again, and putting bike bags in the wash is such a pain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015

I got the Twofish Lockblocks flashlight holder: http://www.amazon.com/Two-Fish-Lockblocks-Flashlight-Holder/dp/B001CJXB5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444052048&sr=8-1

It works well. It holds my flashlight securely and is easy to attach/remove/adjust. I suppose hook-and-loop won't last forever, but it'll last long enough. It's simple and cheap.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015

Nandy recommend me some bungeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

ben:Thoughts on waterproofing sprays or washes?

My cordura backpack doesn't seem as waterproof as it once once.

I use NeverWet Outdoor spray! Works great. I only put it on areas that don't make contact with me (aka back of messbag, and straps)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Don't forget the old toobs."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015

What are folks' favorite ~32s? Maybe with a bit of knobbage and good wet grip for the looming snow. Looking for the impossible quadfecta of fast, plush, durable and cheap (in that order). Ribmo, Pasela, Cyclocross Speed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I have not had good luck with paselas. They're nice and supple because they're thin, which means they get wrecked super quick. The last one I had lasted a few months of extremely rare use before it got too cut up to deal with, and the side walls were already cracking (but to be fair, the rear pasela has been on there longer and hasn't gone flat yet. Maybe their qc sucks). Schwalbe Marathons have a good rep."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

I ordered 2 sets of paselas in one order. Both the same size and color. 2 out of the 4 had bubbles where the seam meets. same spot on both tires.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

EPIC! Stratton:
    tristan:^ I went back to the One True Adventure Tire - the Continental CX Speed.

These guys have never let me down and I've ridden them in a crazy amount of situations. Really great tires.

Yesssssssssssssss. Agreed.
    Rode with these this morning. They feel a bit unstable in the corners, but my rims may very well be 17 and not 19 which would contribute. I've read a few bad reviews about their flat resistance, but then many others that say they never get flats, so we'll see how they hold up. Otherwise they went on well and ride smooth.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

fmradio516:I ordered 2 sets of paselas in one order. Both the same size and color. 2 out of the 4 had bubbles where the seam meets. same spot on both tires.

Also, this was recent. Like I just got the replacements yesterday.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015 edited

also, I mayyyyyy be getting a 29er for commuting in the winter. I just found a good deal, otherwise I probably wouldnt have went for a 29er. regardless, ive never had one. anyone have any recommendations for commuter tires? obv wide 700s will workMUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthormike868y

fmradio516:
    fmradio516:I ordered 2 sets of paselas in one order. Both the same size and color. 2 out of the 4 had bubbles where the seam meets. same spot on both tires.

Also, this was recent. Like I just got the replacements yesterday.

i love my paselas. i get the occasional flat from glass or whatever, but no more often than I got with gatorskins or anything. besides cuts i've gotten a ton of life out of mine. that being said, the absolute most durable tires i've ever used are the bontrager hard case. damn things could last through the apocalypse.
    Nandy:
    Don't forget the old toobs.

lol GIMME MAH ANTIBODIEZDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

YOU BETTER START TIPPING FOR THOSE BIG FUCKERS. lol"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015 edited

Does anyone here work at a specialized shop?

What is with the MTB shoe lineup for 2016? Did they really drop the Pro MTB shoe? Is the replacement supposed to be the Recon?
    The Pro shoe had excellent stiffness for its price point, and a durable build with sensible closures. It appears that the only option now is the Comp shoe (nowhere near as stiff) or the s-works (way too expensive). The shoe that roughly matches the stiffness rating of the Pro shoe is the new Recon, which is nice looking, but doesn't position itself as a mtb shoe, and lacks some reinforcement (and I'd assume, durability).

It seems that there's no comparable shoe now - do I have to find last years models if I want a good price/performance ratio?

Edit -
    While I'm at it, what is up with laces making a comeback?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015

this year's Riata shoe has also gotten less comfortable/more plastic-y than past years
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

fmradio516:

UPDATE: 1 of 2 replacement tires has the same problem as the first two.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop

Nandy:I have not had good luck with paselas. They're nice and supple because they're thin, which means they get wrecked super quick. The last one I had lasted a few months of extremely rare use before it got too cut up to deal with, and the side walls were already cracking (but to be fair, the rear pasela has been on there longer and hasn't gone flat yet. Maybe their qc sucks). Schwalbe Marathons have a good rep.

fmradio516:
    fmradio516:

UPDATE: 1 of 2 replacement tires has the same problem as the first two.

Yeesh, gonna skip those then! Randonneur/Voyager Hypers look like what I'm going to pick up when I get the scratch. We'll see if they live up to the hype.

First up though is a new light. Is there any better value than a Cygolite 720 for lighting up an unlit road? I don't want to crash from unexpected acorns on the Esplanade (again).
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015

Yes. Triple CREE XML U2 on Amazon for $25. Many sellers in different formats -- can vouch for the "upwards triangular" format as sold in the link I pasted there. My friend has been riding with this mounted to his helmet in all conditions of heat, rain, and temperature for a year and he is extremely rough on it physically (he throws his helmet around a lot), and it has been bulletproof. Without a doubt, it is the brightest light I have ever seen, and I'm ordering one for myself.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015

That is a ridiculous price for that many lumens. God. Damn.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015 edited

Joe, this is the light that Matt owns (you met him in Rochester -- the skinnier of the two electric bike guys). Remember how much brighter it was than anyone else's light? Note that he was running it at 1/3 power. At full power that thing is like the sun.

I've ridden it on Brian's electric bike with both the lights and the throttle at full power in the subway (with Matt's 3X light on my head and Brian's 2X version on the handlebars) and pedestrians literally ran like hell out of my way. Then when the next person tried the bike, and I watched, I realized why: At those speeds, and with the layout of one ridiculously bright light up high and one down low, it looks like a locomotive is coming down the tunnel.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2015 edited

wait, what? why were you riding bikes in the subway and why were there pedestrians?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2015

I think Pocky's talking about an abandoned rail tunnel in Rochester.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^^^Amazing. I'm getting it today.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop

Damn, all of that sounds awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2015 edited

If I want a single speed with 26" wheels and no suspension, is the 1x1 my only option?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop

Nandy:If I want a single speed with 26" wheels and no suspension, is the 1x1 my only option?

On-One used to make the 26" Inbred with horizontal dropouts. Probably a lot harder to find used than a 1x1, but they have new ones on clearance. There's also the out-of-production Soma Analog, but that's some pricey niche stuff with the sliding dropouts. I feel like Kona must've made one at some point too.

edit: On-One has a pretty great bundle deal actually! Everything but the spinny bits for $310! Also poked around and apparently both the Redline Monocog and the Kona Unit used to come in 26", but that was way long ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

ooh, I like that monostay thing on the on-one, but the 16" looks way too big. I'm planning to have slammed cruiser bars to make it my bad weather commute crusher, because all these things will probably fit horribly anyway. What I really want is a 26" steamroller that fits.

Here's the surly in my size (geometry page says the 1x1 and troll are identical except for dropouts):

It looks like they could drop like 3" on that fork."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2015

Hmm, if it's for commuting and not trails, have you looked at the new 650b Straggler? Comes in a 38cm, looks pretty sick! The 26" Trucker also comes as small as a 42, you just gotta do some half-link magic with the vertical dropouts. The Soma Buena Vista would be a classy-as-hell crusher! It comes in a 42cm 26", 1.5" clearance, super nice steel. Super pricey unfortunately.