Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015

tinyhonkshus:do not want plz

private medical information update: I went in today and I was like "You know, I'd really like to try and do something about my back" and she was all "Well do you want to have surgery?" and I was all "fuck no lady" and then she was like "well, there's really only PT before that" and I was all "I don't want to do that either, it costs too much" and she was like "spine center?" and I was like "I got a shot once and it didn't work, but then my brother said his first one didn't work but his second one did" and then she was like "it didn't help me until my third one! SPINE CENTER IT IS!" and then we high fived.
    A+ would read againWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    after I posted that, I told the story to my brother, and he was like "We have a word for patients like you"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

That word is "awesome."We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

Can someone recommend me a 1x8 thumb shift setup? e.g. crankset, cassette, shifter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

When you say thumb shift, you mean old-school indexed/friction switchable thumbies, right, not pushbutton?

How much money do you want to spend for performance/steez, and do you want to be able to buy this stuff new or not?

Here is a new-stuff-only option for good bang for the buck with steez being unimportant:

Sunrace M96 R800 8-speed thumbie:

...a new 9-speed Deore RD, since they are much higher quality than the 8-speed ones you can get new now (it will be perfectly compatible with 8 speed chain and 8 speed spacing -- the indexing is in the shifter, not the derailleur, and the cable pull is the same for <10 speed SIS stuff):

...a Truvativ Ruktion 38T SS-specific crank with bashguard to prevent your chain from falling off the outside:

...a Third Eye Chain Watcher to prevent your chain from falling off the inside:

...an 11-32 8 speed cassette:

Now, that being said, if you go with pushbutton thumbshifters instead, you can use a ratcheting RD for a considerably wider range.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015 edited

if you have a mountain crankset, get a raceface narrow-wide; reviews have said that the tech allows you to run without a chainkeeper, and you can run 1 by X setups. I ended up doing a 2x8 using random junk parts + suntour barcons. if you have the shimano bar ends, that works too. you can use the ghetto cheap falcon shifters, but they're pretty iffy; try to find some old suntour powershifters, which have clicky bits on the inside for friction. i would definitely stick with a 11-30something cassette in the back; i tried a 45 chainring with a 11-28 "road" cassette, and it was stupid, and not geared for cruising around at all.
    • CommentAuthorgc

ThreePete:Can someone recommend me a 1x8 thumb shift setup? e.g. crankset, cassette, shifter.

here's the on the cheap version:

these are one of my favorite bike parts of all time: http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10-Friction-Shifter-Set/dp/B007QMJH86/ref=pd_sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=413b7Ly0ocL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Z06463VSJMV82SD82GY
    extremely cheap, work extremely well.

literally any 8speed cassette will work- new,used,worn the fuck out or whatever. sunrace cassettes are hella cheap, sometimes nashbar branded cassettes go on sale for $10 or something.

chain, just get any 6/7/8speed one, there's plenty of cheap kmc or whatever ones online for like $10

any front chainring will work, just get one that will give you an appropriate gear range with yr cassette.

get a worn out big chainring and break the teeth off it with a crescent wrench, and file or grind it down if you got the time/give enough fucks.

you can use a broken front derailleur as a chain guide, just adjust the limit screws and bend the cage so the chain doesn't rub over the entire range

above total like $30gone
    yo, have had cortisone shot in spine (couldn't bend over for 2 weeks) and foot (was limping for a month). does work. would recommend.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015

GC, Smoothness, Pocky --

Thanks for the suggestions going to do some ebay shopping for parts. Was thinking of going this route:
    - push button rear shifter
    - one of those big & small teeth chainrings w/ 130 BCD
    - an old dura ace 130 bcd crank
    - an old dura ace 8 speed rd + 8 speed ultegra cassette

Now, I'm reading that I may not get a push button rear shifter to work with the older dura ace rd - which I could shell out the extra $30 bucks on ebay for a newer 8 or 9 speed rd (e.g. deore like pocky suggested)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015

Any 9-speed Shimano pushbutton shifter will actually pull your 8-speed DA RD the appropriate amount for 8 speed cassette spacing. This just happens to be one of the magical combinations that works. You'll just set the limit screw so it never goes to the 9th click. See Sheldon's compatibility guide.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^agreed.

Also for ultrabling status Race Face makes really nice SS cranksets.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015

^^ & ^ too late...got fixed...much simple.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

ben:
    EPIC! Stratton:
    tristan:^ I went back to the One True Adventure Tire - the Continental CX Speed.

These guys have never let me down and I've ridden them in a crazy amount of situations. Really great tires.

Yesssssssssssssss. Agreed.
    Rode with these this morning. They feel a bit unstable in the corners, but my rims may very well be 17 and not 19 which would contribute. I've read a few bad reviews about their flat resistance, but then many others that say they never get flats, so we'll see how they hold up. Otherwise they went on well and ride smooth.
    Update 5 weeks later:

I love these tires. They roll fast, and once I stopped inflating them to 85psi (now they're ~65) they became SUPER comfortable on these shitty roads. Definitely recommend.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan

Happy to hear that ben. When you said you weren't diggin them, I was going to ask what pressure you ran, but decided to refrain. I feel pretty relieved that you like them now because I would have felt bad for steering you in the wrong direction.

FWIW, I tend to run them around 45 or so. The perfect amount of speed/grip/comfort for CX loops around Boston.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorMJ

tristan:Happy to hear that ben. When you said you weren't diggin them, I was going to ask what pressure you ran, but decided to refrain. I feel pretty relieved that you like them now because I would have felt bad for steering you in the wrong direction.

FWIW, I tend to run them around 45 or so. The perfect amount of speed/grip/comfort for CX loops around Boston.
    tristan:
    ben:
    EPIC! Stratton:
    tristan:^ I went back to the One True Adventure Tire - the Continental CX Speed.

These guys have never let me down and I've ridden them in a crazy amount of situations. Really great tires.

Yesssssssssssssss. Agreed.
    Rode with these this morning. They feel a bit unstable in the corners, but my rims may very well be 17 and not 19 which would contribute. I've read a few bad reviews about their flat resistance, but then many others that say they never get flats, so we'll see how they hold up. Otherwise they went on well and ride smooth.
    Update 5 weeks later:

I love these tires. They roll fast, and once I stopped inflating them to 85psi (now they're ~65) they became SUPER comfortable on these shitty roads. Definitely recommend.

I've been looking for a set of tires to go on the soma and I've been having trouble deciding on some, but I think that these seem like a great compromise for everything I'm looking for!
    how can you pass up the chance to legitimately ask whatpressureyourunninbro?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015

Review: Sugoi RS Zero Bib Knicker
    I got these on steep & cheap for a pretty good deal. I've got ~6 rides on them, ranging from mid 30s to low 50s. Rides included snow, slush, mud, water, and lots of dirt. I am super impressed by these bibs. Comfortable with a good chamois, and excellent wind blocking in the junkal area. They even make tire spray a non-issue. Im a big fan and will probably buy a second pair. So far no wear is showing, despite having a few close encounters with bushes, trees, and plenty of mud.

Early Review: Specialized Recon Shoe
    I've got 4 rides in on these shoes, which feels like enough to form an early opinion. They are stiff, their soles provide excellent traction (better than my old specialized pro mtb shoes), and they are unbelievably comfortable. I find that the foot retention isn't quite as good as the Pro shoe, and I think I chalk that up to having a less substantial tongue. The lace system is the shoe's biggest downside (but also one of its upsides). On the upside, laces let you shape the shoe to your foot very nicely, and they also seem to do a pretty good job of eliminating hot spots. I like the peace of mind knowing that I wont ever have to worry about retiring a pair of shoes because I broke the buckle (again). However, I've found it takes me a long damned time to get the shoes on. I don't really want to be fiddling with my laces and tying a knot when I'm getting ready to ride - I want to throw something on and go. The real killer though, is that laced shoes are impossible to quickly adjust mid-ride. I usually need to tighten my shoes up after 8-10 miles, and doing so with laced shoes a big damned todo. Instead of reaching down and pushing the ratchet strap a bit, or tightening some velcro, you've got to stop, get off the bike, untie the shoe, adjust, re-tie, and re-tuck the laces so they don't get caught in stuff. I'm hoping that, maybe, as they break in further, I stop needing a re-tighten (but no previous shoe has ever managed that, so we'll see). On the upside though, I've gotten complements on the shoes so its nice that they look good, I guess.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2015

Any recommendations for MTB shoes that dry very quickly? I am a commuter, and when I ride in the rain, the padding in my existing Giro Privateer shoes retains a ton of water and remain wet well into the next day. It's really unpleasant to put them on wet, and they smell pretty terrible when they are worn before they dry thoroughly.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

no useful shoe options, but do you try cramming your shoes with newspaper (and once the paper's soaked, replacing it with more)? it soaks out a ton of the liquid and really speeds dryingThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull

a_lion:no useful shoe options, but do you try cramming your shoes with newspaper (and once the paper's soaked, replacing it with more)? it soaks out a ton of the liquid and really speeds drying

That's my only option at the moment, but I can't change the paper out while I'm sleeping.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Step 1: Get a small box fan. Step 2: Prop them in front of the fan. Step 3: Dry shoes!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

REI sells these little neoprene shoe-shell things. like...the slip on rubbers for dress shoes...except for bike shoes. so bike shoe condoms? also, they are having a sale. lots of stuff on sale. i just bought me some sweet socks.
    foot > sock > plastic bag > shoe > ... > profiti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015

tinyhonkshus:foot > sock > plastic bag > shoe > ... > profit
    something something trench foot...? I don't recall who told me that this was a bad idea but I imagine for a commute (vs several hours in wet conditions) is probably ok.

I own the Privateer too, I actually applied two coats of never wet for just 'light spray' days. I haven't had a heavy rain day to try this out yet but I recently purchased these socks
    * http://tinyurl.com/o746nvq <- DexShell - waterproof socks. I recently heard sealskinz socks are pretty good too.

I wish they made cyclocross-spec'd shoe covers for those of us with mtb soles. I may just end up buying one of those goretex lined mtb shoes.
    I mean, I've done it, and for a commute it's great, if swishy-soundingi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ThreePete:
    tinyhonkshus:foot > sock > plastic bag > shoe > ... > profit
    something something trench foot...? I don't recall who told me that this was a bad idea but I imagine for a commute (vs several hours in wet conditions) is probably ok.

I own the Privateer too, I actually applied two coats of never wet for just 'light spray' days. I haven't had a heavy rain day to try this out yet but I recently purchased these socks
    * http://tinyurl.com/o746nvq <- DexShell - waterproof socks. I recently heard sealskinz socks are pretty good too.

I wish they made cyclocross-spec'd shoe covers for those of us with mtb soles. I may just end up buying one of those goretex lined mtb shoes.

I did the plastic bag trick one time for a full day and it was literally the worst ever. my feet felt like they were in a gallon of water. Because they basically were.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Sorry my lived experience wasn't real enough guysi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I always just rotated shoes around rainy days to let them dry out, but that's easier if they aren't clippy. BOGS are awesome for lots of rain, but with too much even those fill with water that swishes around (but at least it stays warm unlike regular soaked shoes)."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^I've had this experience with waterproof socks. Even when they let water in (usually from the top), the water stays inside and warms to your body temp and actually keeps you warmer than normal socks.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    shoe dogs can be pretty helpful for drying out shoes, though they're meant more for sweat and such than full soakingDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i have these boot dryers, would recommend

Bottom left

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

tinyhonkshus:Sorry my lived experience wasn't real enough guys

The hypothetical experience of men is more important.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2015 edited

pull the insoles out, lean them up against a wall toes up.
    lean the shoes up against a wall, so all the water drains towards the heels.

(if you have baseboard radiators lean them up against for extra points)

i could never get newspaper to work, seems like i'd run through a whole newspaper and my shoes would still be wetgone
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015

gc:i could never get newspaper to work, seems like i'd run through a whole newspaper and my shoes would still be wet

Yeah, that's never worked for me either. Box fan or radiators!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    We just jelly it works for 'honks. My feet get too sweaty :(DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

for the record, i said tiny's method would probably be solid for commuting...

also, those boot dryers look awesome kosmo, those electrical cables/wires look a little flimsy. I feel like a physics professor once told me about how the thinner the cable given a certain application can cause electrical fires? idk, i live in fear.
    surprisefries:We just jelly it works for 'honks. My feet get too sweaty :(

your socks must not be wool enoughi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Is cashmere wool? I'm pretty sure that's all fries wears.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    tinyhonkshus:
    surprisefries:We just jelly it works for 'honks. My feet get too sweaty :(

your socks must not be wool enough

10/10 Marianna's comments would read againYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    I knew that one would get Ella's attentioni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015

ThreePete:I may just end up buying one of those goretex lined mtb shoes.

I can vouch for the Giro Alpineduro. Have friends who can vouch for the various Lake winter boots.

Waterproof socks are also okay, but those don't prevent squishy shoes. I have a pair of the Nashbar ones. Fit is very tight and they really don't "stretch", and the seam kind of digs into the top of your foot, so order a size larger than you think you need. These probably keep me warmer than the "breathable" ones like Sealskinz do, but I suspect those are probably a lot more comfortable.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2015

has anyone tried lumo lift? it's a little plastic oval that magnets onto your clothes and vibrates when you're slouching, to remind you to have good posture (it also does some other shit like is a pedometer but i don't care about that)
    i have such terrible posture and the very hunchbacked lady in my spin class seems like a scary glimpse into the future, but... $80 for a little plastic oval... dunno.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    lolll they aren't wool enough at all FAILLLDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^^^Those look nice!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    What are some good road-style brake levers (not brifters) for people with small hands?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Asking for a wife.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015

i have a pair of tektros I may be willing to part with. Ill check when i get home.MUFFDVR
    Tektros RL341 I believe, also come Origin8 branded. They are the classic small hand levers, but I think it's only the levers (not the hoods) that are smaller - i.e. it only really helps braking from the drops. I'm pretty sure I also have a pair I'm willing to part with, but fmradio got first dibs on the sale.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015

Yeah the ones i have definitely arent those but I will check later today what they are and report back.MUFFDVR
    Thanks doods. To be more clear than I was, the issue is braking from the hoods. I would never marry someone who commutes in the drops.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D