Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2015 edited

lololol. Could the reach of the bars be an issue? The Soma Highway1's are pretty tiny. Luckily I have pretty normal sized hands so I haven't had much of an issue, but some of the new giant brifters are starting to scare me. Maybe it's just my imagination but they seem to be getting bigger."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc

the shimano stand-alone (r-xxx series) brake levers have the narrowest and smallest hoods of any other options. can't speak about reach for smaller hands.

gone
    surprisefries:Thanks doods. To be more clear than I was, the issue is braking from the hoods. I would never marry someone who commutes in the drops.

yeah, if anyone tiny-handed has any experience being happy braking from the hoods on Tiny Specific Design levers, I'd like to know about it. Not that I have any bikes with drops anymore.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^^thanks, that looks better (narrower) than what she has now. We're gonna play with angle and reach first, but I'm not convinced that it'll help much.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

If it's not a brifter situation, cruiser bar road bikes are the shit, imho.
    These are my favs, but some people like the angle of the Left Banks:

My cruiser roadie right now has Oxfords, which are ultra comfy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yah dood, drops are a social construct. they work for a lot of people, but not everyone, and I'm not sure I know anyone who actually fixed that by adjusting the levers. I sold or cruiser'd my drop bar bikes away.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Are you sure it's not a leverage issue rather than a lever size issue? Mrs. Pocky's grip strength isn't good enough to brake effectively from the hoods, running drops with STI brifters, Deore LX cantis and Kool Stop salmon pads. I was thinking of putting mini-V's or full-size V's on there with a pulley adapter (a disc-capable bike would work well for this too), but I just went with crosstop interrupter levers which give her a top position with much more leverage. I'll probably still throw V's on there at some point.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Basically she has no problems until it's cold enough to wear thicker gloves, then she can't get enough finger length around the levers to brake comfortably.
    tinyhonkshus:yah dood, drops are a social construct.

Haha! Yeah my long term plan is flat bars or cruisers (it's a single-speed), but I think that'll take some convincing. I love the VO Montmarte bars.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I only roll with VO Porteurs myselfi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:yah dood, drops are a social construct.

qft

recently switched to cruiser bars from a flat bar on my ss and i luuuuvvvv itYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015

I have these.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!HalkKIaD4GcekuEZ--6NHw!/Tektro-RL520-Ergo-Brake-Levers?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CLu46__gx8kCFYT1HwodA7EG0A

Maybe they're too bulky? Idk I cant tell. $15MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016

paul jameson:Kroger Corn Puff Poppers (Extreme Butter flavor) will give you weird poo for days if you eat a whole bag. Stick with pirates booty.

kroger "sriracha chili sauce" sucks, 0/10 would not buy againgone
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016 edited

I need some serious work shoes with arch support and padding. This shop run by an asshole millionaire forbids sitting at any time and refuses to provide mats for the 10+ hour work days on thin linoleum/concrete. My feet, back, neck and pretty much everything is in constant, worsening pain. My neck is so stiff I have trouble turning my head to the right. My heels hurt so bad I can barely walk sometimes. Any recommendations? Can I go to some medical professional and force my employer to make changes?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016

your jobs sounds increasingly nightmarish! yikes D=
    I've got some Merrells with some really thick, supportive soles, but I haven't had to stand that long in them (plus i got 'em at a thrift store so i don't know what they really cost)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016 edited

I am enjoying a few things about it, like S-tec and a few things in Trek's product training (some of Trek's things are really terrible, though), and it's nice to help some people's exciting New Bike Days, but holy shit the owner is a jerk who hates employees. It's rare for sales people to stay more than a year.

There's also the no-way-in-hell-OSHA-approved rickety ladders with shoddy repair welds we have to use to get bikes on and off the 3rd and 4th high display tracks."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Sanitas clogs. Pretty all healthcare workers, including my wife, swear by these. (Not to mention the whole nation of Denmark.) She was taught that the key to a properly fitting clog is that your heel MUST swing free. Apparently, many non-Danish clog manufacturers assume the sizing should be shallow enough that your heel will rub against the back. This assumption is horribly wrong. If the clog is sized that way, then unless you have wide feet, getting the clog long enough that your heel will swing free may mean the width will be too wide. The Danish clogs are narrow and long with a weird plastic low-friction plate at the heel so your heel swings in and out of them.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I'd be scared of open heel clogs on those sketchy-ass ladders, though :c How well do they stay on your feet?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

She doesn't buy the open-heel ones, she buys the closed-heel ones. Your foot just swings up out of the heel when you walk. You'd actually have to consciously hinge your foot up and then pull it simultaneously upwards and backwards in order to actually fall out of them. I've never seen them fall off her feet, and I have seen her hike through hilly and muddy terrain in them. I mean, I assume Danish farmers must have thought about this when initially designing them. I can't recall watching her climb any ladders with them, though. I'd think the biggest problem with ladder climbing would be the flexless sole, not the danger of them falling off. I'd have to ask her if she thinks that would be OK, but I suppose you could always slip them off and shove your feet into slip-on tennis shoes when the ladder climbing happens.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016

Writing's on the wall, Andy. You need a new job!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The dealz, tho. They sure know how to trap bike addicts."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Dat opportunity cost tho."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

buy 6 bikes, stash 5 somewhere and just let yourself ride a 'new' one each year, meanwhile get a job that makes you hate your life less.
    I feel like there's no way they're paying you enough that just having a better job wouldn't make up for the discounts. It's hard to just up and quit a job, but you should def keep your ears open and spread the word that you're looking. Also having an exhausting toxic job is going to hurt your ability to grow your own business, both will/effort/energy-wise and also ability-to-think-good-wise.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy